Ceiba del Mar Spa Resort

Costera Norte, Puerto Morelos, Riviera Maya, 77580, Mexico

More about Ceiba del Mar Spa Resort

Great Time at Ceiba Del Mar

My husband and I stayed at the Ceiba Del Mar Feb 13-20/04. I can't recommend this hotel enough. Everything was great, from the welcoming glass of sparkling wine to the ice water when we were waiting for our bus to the airport.

We had an all-inclusive package which included room service and the mini-bar. The mini-bar was stocked with 2 or 3 brands of beer, juice, pop, water and Kit Kats.

For breakfast, you can have a continential breakfast delivered to your room at a pre-arranged time, you can order room service or you can go to the buffet which had a nice selection of fresh fruits, baking, hot sides and made-to-order omelettes.

For lunch there was a restaurant on the beach which had a good selection of items on the menu.

For dinner there were 2 restaurants, one on the beach and one in the main building which had different menus but both had great food.

A previous reviewer mentioned problems with seaweed on the beach. A small amount washed ashore but was raked away and it wasn't bothersome while swimming.

There was no entertainment at the hotel so if you're looking for something to do in the evening other than TV or a movie, you have to go to Cancun or Playa del Carmen, which are both about 20 minutes away.

We both went to the spa: my husband had a massage and I had a pedicure, and both felt we received good value for the price.

The closest small town is Puerto Morelos which is a 20 minute walk down the beach. There are a number of restaurants/bars, internet cafe, souvenir shops, etc.

All in all, we had a great relaxing time and are looking forward to returning.

Can't Wait to go Back!!!

My wife and I traveled to Ceiba Del Mar over our February Break 2004 (2/25-2/20). Our travel agent recommended the place to us and she was right on the money. Grounds are beautiful, romms are very spacious and food is EXCELLENT!!

If you want a quiet place to just get away and relax this is the one.
Hotel staff is extremely helpful and will do whatever they can to make your stay the best possible. And did I mention the food!!!

I highly recommend going the all-inclusive route, makes the pampering that much more enjoyable.

We look forward to returning in the very near future.

Very Relaxing Getaway!!

I must say I reviewed this property extensively before our vacation, and all the reviews on Trip Advisor were right on the mark!!! I highly recommend the Ceiba del Mar to anyone looking for a relaxing, peaceful getaway with great food. All inclusive is the way to go, and the food was phenomenal. There is not much in the way of nightlife though, so look to Cancun if you want rowdy action. The menus in both restaurants were quite extensive, and we did not encounter "bad or slow service" like some people have commented on in previous reviews. This is Mexico and you are on vacation....enjoy the relaxed pace and savor the delicious food and beautiful ocean views!! I highly recommend a massage with Joel at the spa...you will enjoy it! I could write a book about this property, but I just have to say again this is a great place and an excellent value. Go for it!!!

Disappointed.

My husband & I chose Ceiba del Mar for our honeymoon and it, unfortunately, was a huge disapppointment. I read everyone's previous reviews about how great this place was - but we didn't experience anything that would make us go back. No children under 18 are allowed and the second day we were there, 2 high school boys had a room next to us - they were not the worst part. There were so many families there with children, I was completely amazed! I was so frustrated, we tried to come home early, but no flights were available. We chose Ceiba because it was supposed to be quiet and we gave up ammenities in order to stay there. There was also a wedding on Saturday and the whole party was in our building. My husband and I were awake for four out of the seven nights just waiting for them to be quiet. It was an awful experience. And the "Ocean view" room? Where are they? We had a room that overlooked our neighbors patio.

Paying it forward

I feel so torn about submitting this review. On the one hand, I loved this resort so much that I was tempted to give it a bad review so others wouldn't find this treasure. But I booked my vacation in part on some of the reviews that I read on this site, so I feel that I must be honest and give this resort the accolades that it deserves. From the moment we arrived, peace and serenity ruled. The deluxe room we booked was very nice. Don't expect a big room, because it's not. But each room has it's own cd player, vcr, and of course tv, and each has a patio which overlooks the pool and the ocean. A great added touch for me was the hammock which hung on each patio. A great place to siesta when you've had enough sun. We got the all-inclusive thanks to the many recommendations on this site. I had never done this before, cause I like to go into towns and sample the local cuisine. But because this resort is so isolated, it made sense to commit to it, since it's a cab ride to the nearest local resturants, which are in Puerto Morelos(a $2.00 cab ride away, or about a 30 minute walk) Since the drinks on average are about $6.00 a piece, I would strongly advise to get the all-inclusive. And the food was really great. It far exceeded my expectations. They have 2 restaurants. The main one serves breakfest(buffet when it's crowded, a la carte when it's not) and a continental menu at dinner. We loved the fondue that was offered as an appetizer, as well as the salads(they're totally safe here). There's lobster on the menu in both resturants, as well as steak, chicken, seafood, and pasta selections. It's all very good. But the group that we met while we were there all agreed that the Mexican-fusion resturant, Arecife, was better. From the shrimp quesadillas to the ceiba salad(watercress, sun dried tomatoes, and crab), to the shrimp and lobster served in a poblano chile with champagne sauce, to the tres leches cake and delicious coconut ice cream, it was all fantastic. And remember, if you get the all-inclusive, nothing is excluded except bottles of wine. So it includes breakfast, lunch, dinner, all drinks(except bottles of wine), and all of the items in your mini bar.
There's also a continental breakfast that's brought to your room every morning, with coffee, juice and a basket of mexican pastries. I've read some bad reviews about this service, but I have to say that never were the pastries stale, as I've read in other reviews, or the coffee cold.
I think that these persons just weren't used to mexican pastries. This is how they taste, folks. There's a menu that you hang on your door nightly which allows you to select the time that you get your breakfast, and it was always there and hot when we requested it. The other great selling point for me was the spa, which was excellent. I got 2 deep tissue massages, which were excellent(mine were on a futon on the floor, not a massage table). And my partner got a massage followed by an herbal wrap, and face and scalp facial, which was equally wonderful. In fact, everyone I talked to about the spa said nothing but great things about it. The workout room was small but functional. Get there early if you want to use the cardio equipment, because there's only one treadmill, recumbent bike, and stair stepper.
But the yoga and pilates classes that they offered were fantastic.
Taught by American instructors who come on a weekly basis, the two that were there during my stay were fantastic. Alice(from Chicago) was great, and really spent time correcting each person, which was so helpful to those who were trying yoga and pilates for the first time.
We did our classes outside in a covered area which overlooked the ocean, which was so great since classes were held in the morning and late afternoon. And the classes and the gym are part of the package, with no extra money for entrance, as is the case in some hotels.
There's also a jacuzzi, steam room, and sauna, which is also part of the package. If there is one minor quibble, the service can be a little slow. Not so much in the restaurants, but by the pool there's only one waiter for the entire pool and beach area, so order when you see him, cause it may be awhile before you see him again. Or go up to the bar and order yourself, then they'll come and deliver it and you'll get service from there. Also, we learned that a little tipping went a long way for great service. Remember that this is Mexico, and all of the workers are paid much less then you think. So tips are very much appreciated, and will also insure you great service. Do not come here if you are expecting a wild night life, or a wild time by the pool during the day. This place is not for you. But if you want a relaxing, tranquil, little piece of heaven, then by all means try book your vacation here. If you don't, then that's okay too. That means I'll have an easier time booking the next time I come here.

Paradise

We vacationed at the Cieba in March of 2003 we had such a fabulous time that we plan on going again in March of 2004. The room that we had was a spectular view every morning we wake to the sound of the Carribean Sea. We can't say more about the staff: Mary, Jose-Luis, Humberto, Santiago, along with the others that made our stay so welcomed. We had a very joyous and fun fishing experience we caught a sailfish (out of season) we were able to share some fish with the village people and the staff at the restaurant.One day we have hopes of buy a place down there.great place to retire!!!!!!!!!!!

Hit and Miss/ Nice pool

by TripAdvisor Member Lillybelle-Colorado

February 2004 I was surprised at the variety of rates that people had.
Your experience can only be qualified by how much you spent on the trip and it seems it is very variable. I've traveled a lot, I was a professional chef, I know good food and service. The service here is really mediocre and the food is hit or miss. What's great if you can wrangle it, is a junior suite corner room on a top floor, closest to the beach with ocean view. The room amenities are very acceptable. We upgraded to the junior suite because our first room was on ground level, damp, dark and no view. It took a lot of negotiations to get a good room, be prepared. About the food, rib eye steak rare, delivered room service was a pleasure, shrimp was sometimes good, often overcooked, fish sadly was no good, I suspect overfished in that area at this point, guacomole was good, the deserts were inedible, the breakfasts were decent, not the buffet but the menu breakfast, the bacon is excellent, the fruit was underripe, the service, based on American standards was poor, but the rooftop jacuzzi is gorgeous and wonderful if it is working properly and where you can also order lunch delivered to you there...the guests are an unpretentions delightful bunch, all were friendly and engaging. There is no night life at all.
The yoga and pilates classes are a joke if you are used to the real thing but since the teachers change weekly I could have been there with a dud. What this place has is incredible potential because the architecture is so very nice, the beach is not the clear turquoise water you may expect, but you can go in it, there is some seaweed on the sand. The underheated pools are first rate, the tennis court was fun and the all inclusive is the only way to go if you are a drinker.
This place with better management could be tops, but at this point, consider how good a deal you are getting when making the booking and fetch your drinks from the bar yourself.

Want to say bad so others don't find out

My wife and I stayed here for 4 days as a recharge vacation. The food at the hotel, despite what was said in the previous review, was wonderful -- where else can you go and get shrimp and lobster for lunch as part of an all-inclusive. By the way, the all-inclusive is the ONLY way to go, considering that a single entree at dinner is usually 390 pesos (about $35). The spa was absolutely wonderful -- I have a 90 minute massage which was the best I have ever had.

As you have read in other reviews of this resort, if you want loud music around the pool, bikini contests at lunch, and body shots in the evening, definitely go somewhere else. This place is totally serene and ONLY for those who are looking to recharge and unwind.

In terms of the service, yes, it is slower that some American hotels.
But recognize people: you are in Mexico, not America. And if you are in that big of rush, anyhow, then this resort is not for you.

My wife and I are planning to go back yearly and recommend this resort with 100% confidence (and I'm not the type to give this type of reommendation lightly).

Relaxation in a small part of Mexico.

I dreaded going to Mexico, as we had a not very great experience in Cabo in 2000. What a wonderful surprise the Ceiba resort was! It was nice and quiet, wonderful staff, nice beach, lots of beach chairs and palapas, great food in both restaurants and most of all, NO VENDORS to bug us anywhere!!! Puerto Morelos was the perfect, little sleepy Mexican town of legend. We loved it there and would go back. 5 stars for Ceiba and everything about it! Everyone there at the resort seemed happy with their jobs and it showed in their treatment of the guests.
Daniel, the doorman, and Emma, the conciege, were special treasures!

Beginning of a Honeymoon in Paradise

by TripAdvisor Member aebp25

When we were looking for a place to go for our honeymoon, we knew we wanted to avoid the lovely springbreakers all over Cancun and also the giant 1200 room hotels that tag you like sheep when you arrive. Ceiba was the Perfect place.

The rooms are nice, the service top notch and the restaurants are wonderful given that it is all inclusive. I am not going to say all of the meals were amazing, but we enjoyed them and appreciated the friendly service and eagerness to make the customers happy. Def. go with the all inclusive route if you do not have a car. We did all inclusive for 4 days, drove around the interior for 4 and then came back for 3 to Ceiba. We were not all incluse the last 3, which was fine since we still had the car and could go into Puerto Moroles everyday.
(Be sure to go to John Gray's kitchen in you have a chance! So yummy!)

There is never a shortage of beach chairs, towels, or staff to assist with your needs. The Spa is nice and they have a good selection of treatments. The yoga classes are fairly basic, but given the different skill levels of those attending it is understandable. My only true complaint is the large amount of sea grass in the water (not that they don't work hard to keep the beach clean and remove it. it is just a part of where the hotel is located). My husband was able to deal with it, but I didn't really enjoy the ocean near as much as I usually do.
Do take the kayaks out for a nice time. And riding the bikes into town and getting one of the locals to take you out to the reef for snorkeling for 22 bucks is a great deal.

Ceiba is a lovely place and perfect if you are looking for pure relaxation. I would recommend it to anyone!

Cancun bus stationCancun bus station

Great food!Great food!