Carretera Federal 307, Chetumal–Puerto Juarez, Puerto Morelos, Mexico
Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

More about Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

very nice

by TripAdvisor Member greyparrotowner

Stayed for 6 days. 6th trip to the area. Very nice place and had a great time. The highs and lows are as followed:

Resort: Very nice decor, rather small so everything is in close walking distance. Infinity pool is fantastic. Service was superb everywhere.

Rooms: Very nice. Nice jacuzzi tub and separate shower. Balcony had a jacuzzi also. Views of the ocean from the room were great. Air conditioning worked great and kept the room cool. Enough TV stations to keep you occupied while getting ready. DVD player in room. IPOD dock to listen to music. Safe in room. Minibar with beer, water, and soda. Room service was great.

Beach: The beach is pretty nice. Rather calm waves. Down side is the beach is so close to the reef that there is a moderate amount of sea grass in the water and somewhat rocky in places. Okay to go out a little ways but not too far. Water was pretty blue. Plenty of beach chairs and nice beach bar in close proximity. Great beach service. They were always coming around to take drink orders.

Food: Food was average. Had better and had worse. I feel like they were just getting the hang of things since they had just opened. I imagine it will only get better with time. Never had a problem finding something I liked. Sea side grill had great options for a quick lunch next to the pool.

Activities: Many things to try. Hobie cats, water vball, monday night fball on the beach, caribbean night dinner outside, mexican night dinner outside, and various other shows outside near the pool at night. Could always find something to do.

To wrap it all up I would definitely recommend this place. Very nice with outstanding service. My only hangup is the beach and maybe the food but not really fair to judge the food so early on. The beach was better than I expected, just not really the ocean I would spend all day in. Great for quick strolls to get in and cool off. We did have the power go out several times, usually only for 15-20 mins at a time so no big deal, however it did go out for about 2 hrs one day. I'm sure this will all get corrected as they get a few kinks worked out as it is a brand new place. Don't let my opinion of the beach or the food deter you from this place. I am pretty picky and this is one of the best places in the mayan riviera I have been to. Go there and I promise you will not be disappointed.

One Beautiful Trip

by TripAdvisor Member AdreamWindsor

We just got back from one amazing trip. It was our first time in Mexico, We Loved it! The hotel is beautiful. The food was all amazing. All the restaurants are very good. You cannot beat the breakfast buffet. I don't think they are missing anything.The service is great, you may have to wait a few extra minutes at the swim up bar but that is to be expected.. Room service at any hour is just an extra bonus that we took full advantage of. All ages there. The beach is wonderful especially when you have a waiter that will bring you anything you want. Would definitely go back again.

Wonderful Week!

by TripAdvisor Member Kelli112

My husband and I stayed at the Dreams Riviera Cancun 10/10/09 – 10/17/09 and we had a great week.

We booked with Apple Vacations and were provided with transportation from the Cancun airport to the resort. We made two other stops on our way and it took about 35 minutes or so to arrive at the resort once were on our way. We were greeted at the hotel by the friendly staff offering us bottles of water, champagne and cold wash cloths. We arrived at the hotel around 1:30pm and when we checked it we were told that our room would not be available until around 3pm (“official” check in time). I’m not sure why the room wasn’t ready, as the hotel was only about 20-30% occupied while we were there.

Property: The resort is very beautiful. It is very well decorated, well maintained, and very clean. Our room was on the 4th floor and we always took the stairs. However, the two or three times that we wanted to use the elevator, we noticed that it was out of service. Not a problem for us, but it would definitely be a problem for others. In addition, we noticed that there were a lot of stairs on the property and the ramps, although they were there, were not always visible or seemed to be out of the way. Another issue that was not a problem for us, but I could see being a problem for anyone that has trouble walking (or is clumsy) is the fact that there is tile everywhere (in the rooms, in the restaurants, lobby, and many of the common areas). Though it looks great, when it rains or the tile becomes wet it is very slippery. Be careful!

Room: Our room was very nicely laid out and we loved the tile. However, as other reviews have mentioned, there is not much privacy. I believe that it would be a bit awkward if you were staying in that room with anyone other than your significant other. There seemed to be ample space for all of our clothing and tons of room in the bathroom area for toiletries.

Food: The food at the resort was great! Portion size was just right also (not too much food). We were especially impressed with Bourdeaux (French) and Himitsu (Japanese). In order to sit at the hibachi table at Himitsu you will need to make reservations, but no other reservations were required. The “no reservation” policy worked out well while we were there, but the resort was not very crowded. It would be interesting to see how that plays out when the resort is full. Also, Bourdeaux is the adults only restaurant, but the one evening we ate there we saw a child in the restaurant – not sure how that works? We went to the World Café every morning for breakfast and though we enjoyed the selection, the breakfast buffet was the same every morning. It would have been nice to see some variations there. For lunch, we mainly dined at the Seaside Grille and Oceana. We like that we were able to throw some clothes over our bathing suits and watch the ocean and the pool while we ate. The two restaurants had identical lunch menus (from what I could tell) and offered a pretty good variety for lunch (salads, sandwiches, and main entrees).

Activities: The events/entertainment staff did a great job of keeping us busy during the day. They had beach volleyball (which my husband played for hours everyday), beach soccer, bike tours, archery, water volleyball, salsa lessons, Spanish lessons, Texas Hold ‘em, and a bunch of other activities. There was not too much going on at night. We went to the “night club”/sports bar a few of the nights. Due to the low occupancy, there were not very many people visiting the club, but it is a very nice atmosphere. We were impressed that we were able to watch football games and the baseball playoffs while we were there, as we are big sports fans.

Beach/Pools: The water at the beach was very nice – warm and clear. However, we were disappointed by the amount of seagrass and rocks on the beach. We actually went to visit the ruins in Tulum and on a snorkeling excursion closer to Cancun and both spots had nicer beaches than the resort. On the plus side, there was plenty of shade and lounge chairs on the beach and by the pool. The pools were very nice and not crowded at all. We hung out by the beach and pools most days and had a very relaxing time. The only issue that I had with the pools involved the infinity pool. Many guests read and were led to believe that the infinity pool was for adults only. However, they did not enforce this policy at the resort. Children were able to jump and splash around in the infinity pool and use the swim up bar in this pool (which was stated as an “adults only” bar on the resort’s daily activities letter, The Sundial).

Pros: Beautiful resort, very relaxing, excellent service, delicious food and drinks, comfortable room, and great pools.

Cons: Smelly water (like another review mentioned), rocky/grassy beach, no locations with free internet access.

Overall we enjoyed a wonderful week and would recommend the resort to anyone interesting in visiting Riviera Maya!

Holy Guacamole!

by TripAdvisor Member tntmom959

What a great place to stay!!! We stayed the 2nd week it opened and everything was pretty close to perfect for us. Water smelled funny first few days but they worked really hard to fix. Service was super especially beach and pool drink/lunch servers (Angel and Benjamen). We loved the restaurant diversity...all food was really good!! There were plenty of activities scheduled daily for those who needed to keep busy and plenty of places to lounge if thats what you preferred. We had a slight problem checking in with room upgarde but that to was quickly taken care of (just stand your ground). They cleaned the beach daily and the color of they water was picture perfect. We will most definately be returning to this hotel again. Even though it is all inclusive we tipped a little extra when eating or drinking and that little bit got us nonstop service 24/7.

Absolutely UNBELIEVABLE "Dreams Heaven"

by TripAdvisor Member zakandjan

We just got home from this resort, spent 7 nights in "Dreams Heaven" The resort is just beautiful, second to none. Clean, neat, organized, staff goes every step to see to it that you are happy and have anything and everything you'll ever want. We tried every restaurant, and honestly can't pick a favorite. Not to mention, almost every night of the week there was some kind of themed festival with loads of wonderful food. Crab, shrimp, fish, mexican, you name it! The entertainment staff have activities all day long. Volleyball in the pool, on the beach, table tennis in the pool, bike rides, archery, batting practice, target shooting. We spent a lot of time in the Baracuda Bar (Swing Bar).
Special greetings and gifts left in your room some nights, a beautiful bottle of champagne and goodies our last night there. We set up several excursions through Olympus tours, right in the lobby and all were really great. We were picked up on time, and brought back "Home" promptly upon their completion. I also arrainged private transfers from the airport through Olympus. Very much worth a little bit extra. Food, Fun, Friends, Drinks all get 6 stars from us. We can't wait to go back, and are planning our next trip already. We were in the preferred club so had private (ish) business center, and free hi speed internet in our room, also very well worth the upgrade. Ocean view Preferred club was a good choice. Room service was 30 minutes or less, and always less in our case!

Absolutely Fantastic!

by TripAdvisor Member deezoomo

We just returned last night from a 6 night stay. My husband and I traveled with one other couple. We booked a package that offered a free upgrade and we had no problem getting the type of room we wanted. Check in was very fast and courteous. We told her we were there to celebrate our anniversary and by the time we got to our room (about 5-10 minutes later) there was a bottle of champagne iced down in our room with 2 glasses. Another bottle arrived the next night. At check in we were offered champagne, ice water and there were fresh baked cookies on the counter.

The rooms are just beautiful. Spacious, huge shower, jacuzzi tub, DVD player, safe, robe, slippers and lotion, sunscreen and shampoo that all smelled so great.

We ate at all the resturants except the Mexican one. Bordeaux was our favorite. One of the best meals I have ever had anywhere. We had the duck, lamb and tenderloin and all were fabulous. The Japanese resturant was also fantastic. If you want to eat at the hibachi grill you will need to make a reservation, but reservations are not required for anything else. Portofino, the Italian resturant was our least favorite but other guests were raving about it. Both of the poolside resturants are really good. They have a different menu for dinner than for lunch. We had tenderloin and jumbo shrimp and it was delicous!

The service...what can I say about the service. I have never been so pampered in my life. You never have to leave your beach chair if you don't want to. The waiter/waitresses will bring you drinks, food, whatever you need. At the pool, on the beach wherever you are just ask and you will receive.

The activities were good. There could have been a little more going on around the pool. I thought it was a little quite. For most of the activites you had to leave the pool area. There was Texas Holdem everyday by the pool. Monday night that showed Monday Night Football on the beach on a huge screen, the beach lounger chairs were all arranged in front of the giant screen, there was a buffet served. They even brought out blankets when the weather turned a little cool. Kevin and Paulina are fantastic activity directors.

There were children in the infinity pool, as a previous reviewer mentioned, but they were well behaved except for our last day there. Two different families with children were letting the kids collect all of the rafts and build boats with them. So 5 or so kids had every float in the pool and the adults had none to use. No one from the hotel said anything to them My husband finally asked one of the fathers of these kids to please let us use a couple of the rafts.

The spa was beautiful. A little pricey, but very good. We had $100 in spa coupons to apply to services in $40, $40 and $20 increments. With the coupons the massages were about normal price. I had and Aroma Therapy massage and a hot stone massage. The aroma therapy massage was $135 but after using my coupon it was $95.

The only problem we had was with our transfer back to the airport, but that had nothing to do with the hotel, It was through Olympus tours. We ended up having to hire a taxi even though we had already paid Olympus for the return trip. I would recommend not buying the transfers but instead just take a taxi. It was far cheaper, $35 per taxi not per person. We shared with another couple from the hotel and split the fare.
I loved our stay and would recommend this wonderful hotel to anyone looking for a little pampering.

Excellent trip

by TripAdvisor Member james2804

There have been several other reviews that have a great summary of our own experience at Dreams Riviera Cancun. So where do I begin? We have stayed in this area several times over the past 5 years and would rate this as a very close tie to the number one spot we have stayed. To give this resort a star rating almost seems unfair because I don't feel it says enough to compliment the experience.

The Rooms: Are very spacious. Perfect for a couple stay! On the other hand I would be a little reluctant to stay in this room with children because as stated before there is limited privacy. Sure the water closet has a door as does the shower area but the whirlpool tub is open to the room. There is no division of bathroom area and sleeping arrangments. Not a problem for a couple but with children could be an issue. I took lots of pictures to see the room which I will try to post. The veiw was good. The balcony is joined to the room next to you so dont expect to be going out in limited clothing. The plus is that there are bath robs and slippers to use for this early morning coffee time. One final note, the showers are large enough for two.

The Food: All the food was great. NO complaints about any dinning. Our favorite was the Italian. The one thing I can say is that if you are a hardy eater you need to order multiple things on the menus because the portions are very healthy in nature. Example: the Fillet Mignon is probably about 6 oz. cooked. At any rate the food quality was exceptional. The wait to get into the dinning was as much as an hour in some areas but there was the convinence of the Lobby bar. Totally thumbs up in this area.

The Drinks: what can i say? there doesnt seem to be anything these guys can't make for you and the abundance of top shelf liquor is superb.

The Activites: are also highly rated. There are daily little things to participate in (we did the bike tour to Puerto Moralos, archary, air rifle shooting, some games on the beach, table tennis or ping pong in the pool and many more. We enjoyed the energy of the staff and the way they encouraged the visitors to get involved.

The Beach: was clean most of the time. They used lawn like equip to clean it daily and sometimes they were out multiple passes throughout the day. Then entrance is a little rough if you have tender feet but once out a few feet the sand is good. Little (and I do mean LITTLE) sea grass to deal with but overall pretty good beach. I will say that we have had better beaches a bit further south than this one.

The Service: I could write a book about this. But let me summarize. the service is AWESOME! These guys do anything to make your stay the best it can be. I would suggest you take a little tip money. For one week stay we gave away approx. 75-100 USD and it was worth every bit. These people work so hard at your luxury that it makes recommending this resort easy.

The best week ever !!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member CherylandJerry58

We just returned from a fantastic week! Had 1 issue when we first arrived with the room we wanted but got it taken care of and from that point on anything we needed or wanted was always taken care of !! The staff was super! We were treated like royalty! Since it was our first trip to Mexico and an all-inclusive resort we didn't know what to expect but once there we never left the resort!!! There was something to do there every day if you wanted or just to relax at the pool or beach and be waited on was even better!!! We will definitely go back!!

Wonderful, Relaxing Vacation

by TripAdvisor Member Piscesmo16

We just returned from Dreams Riviera Cancun and we had a wonderful time. The resort and staff definitely exceeded our expectations. As some of the other reviewers mentioned, there are several very detailed and accurate reviews, so instead of repeating, hopefully I'll just add some additional thoughts.

RESORT:
beautiful and clean. I've been to a a few other properties in the area and I liked the boutique feel of this hotel. We liked that everything was so close and not spread out. However, as a couple without kids, we felt the property was a bit too small for the number of kids running around. Although they have a Kid's Explorer Club, the property seems to be setup perfectly and also advertised for couples and adults. There are 3 pools. The infinity pool, which is also the smallest and with the fewest chairs, is the only one that is adults only and all the chairs were taken by about 9:30AM even when the resort was at a pretty low occupancy.

DINING:
The food was good, some better than others. We are from California and are spoiled with an endless array of excellent, fresh food in a variety of cuisines. The restaurant we found to be the most "off" was Himitsu, the asian restaurant. We ordered Pad Thai and it was nothing like authentic Thai noodles. It tasted like noodles with Chinese Sweet and Sour sauce. The sushi didn't taste super fresh to me, but my boyfriend ate a lot of it and ended up paying for it later that night.... :-( Again, everything else was great and it's a new resort and I'm sure they are working out the kinks, etc. We loved our dinners at Portofino and Bordeaux. The Seaside Grill was also good. The service we had at all restaurants was excellent. Friendly, attentive, knowlegable, etc.

SPA:
Honestly, I would skip it. It's pretty pricey in my opinion. We did a couple's massage which was a 50 minute massage for each of us and cost $225 USD total for both. It was a relaxing and an enjoyable experience, but the technique was not that great. I pay about the same for massages at the nicer spas in my area (Orange County, California), and the actual treatment/technique is better. I don't mind paying that much for the service, but I know that the actual technicians are probably only making a fraction of what they do here in the US and I am paying the same amount.

RESORT COUPONS
These are a waste of time. We got $200 of resort coupons when we booked with Cheap Caribbean, however you can only use $40 per person at the spa, $60 toward a private dinner on the beach (total cost is $250!) and $10 each per bottle of premium wine. We only used coupons at the Spa. The premium wines were RIDICULOUSLY over priced. At Bordeaux, the french restaurant, we were considering ordering a bottle of J Lohr Chardonnay. Their price was $90 per bottle. We pay about $9.99 for a bottle here in the US. Also, all of the waiters were pretty knowledgable about the wines and guided us to house wines that were great and free. Basicaly we just felt like they were trying to encourage you to spend money on the services that were not free.

EXCURSIONS
If you do any of the tours, consider paying more for the smaller vans or renting a car or jeep or taking a taxi. We went to Tulum and we were told by Olympus tours that we would be back at the resort by 12:00 or 12:30... We didn't get back unti 3:00. We stopped at 6 resorts dropping people off on the way back. A trip that should have taken around 1 hour, took 2.5 hours. The tour guide, however, was excellent and we enoyed the content of the trip. We also did the shopping trip to Playa del Carmen. This was scheduled better, but still about 3 stops and we were about 30 - 45 minutes late returning to our resort. I think it's only about $30US each way by taxi, I would probably do that instead and save some time.

Also, if you are paying an additional service (spa, wine, etc.) make sure they give you a receipt in USD & Pesos. We found that the prices were usually quoted in USD, but were billed in pesos. We had an issue with the amounts not matching at check out. Again, I'm sure it is just the newness and working all the systems out, etc. But just watch your bills!

Overall, we loved it! I hope the above doesn't sound too negative because we did enjoy our stay, but I always find it helpful to know what to expect and benefit from others' experiences.

Nice & Wonderful Staff

by TripAdvisor Member jlds63

Hi we were there a few days after there opening. Very nice resort, Can't say enough about the staff there were Great! Had a free upgrade to a plunge pool room with a king bed. Was Greeted by Rod and some hot towels and drinks very nice touch. Mostly did buffets and room service. Food was ok, Read all these reviews raving about the food I don't get it, but to each there own. Cab ride to the little town up the road is 9 bucks each way less than 10 minute ride. We got alot of things there look around and compare prices there are good deals to be had.
All kinds of things going on though out the day, horse shoes texas holdem with Kevin, volley ball, pool basketball, ping pong,bike's in the mourning, seen non motorize boats.
Will we go back? I think so hopefully the food will be better, was our only major Problem.
Drinks???? Crown Jack Bombay Jb Grey Groose Absolut Nice selection.

Comments