Unidad 19 Mz 20 Lote 1-1 SM 3, Puerto Morelos, Quintana Roo, 77580, Mexico

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about NH Riviera Cancun

Amazing

by TripAdvisor Member scjdd

My boyfriend and I stayed at the NH from Dec 18-25. It was the first time in Mexico and we absolutely loved it!! The resort was breathtaking. As soon as we walked into the lobby we were amazed with the huge glass windows that allow you to have a beautiful view of the ocean.

Rooms are beautiful, just like the pictures.Flat screen TV , big bed , huge bathroom. Maids come around twice a day!! Once in the morning and again around 6:30-7:00 pm to make sure your not missing anything. We also had a view of the swamp, it didn't bother us at all, we didn't even go on the balcony. Mini bar was always fully stocked with water,Pepsi, 7 up and beer.

Breakfast: Amazing you had a choice of french toast , pancakes, eggs, hash browns ,sausage, fresh fruits, yogurt, 4 or 5 different cereals....and more.
Lunch: Everyday the lunch buffet had salad,tomatoes,cucumbers,chips,guacamole,bruschetta,chicken wings,chicken nuggets and desserts and an ice cream machine...They also had a menu to order from which offered club sandwiches, steak sandwiches,chicken sandwiches,hamburgers..There is never a moment we you have no food.
Supper: The supper buffet was not the best, but you are allowed to 5 meals a la cart , there was the following to choose from Italian and Asian (make sure to request the grill) are the best , their is also Sense with is international food it was good, and the Mexican ( we hear that it wasn't the best so we didn't try it).
Drinks: Drinks were very good, George that worked at the lunch buffet was amazing he always brought us are drinks and food, if the ice would melt or are drinks would finish he would have another one ready!

Beach/Pool: The pool was amazing most people said it was cold ,but I found it very refreshing, the beach right in front of the hotel has rocks but if you walk two minutes to the right of the resort you can walk right into the ocean with no problems. Get their early to save a place by the pool, seats go fast! We always left our towels first then went to eat breakfast.

Internet: When we had arrived there was only one computer in the lobby area, but by the end of our stay they had moved to computer to a new room and added two others. I thought it was plenty. Yes sometimes their was a wait... but your on vacation so you don't really have anywhere to rush to...

Sports /bar: Their is a sports bar on the resort, they have 2 pool tables , 1 foosball table, a dance floor, 1 bar, flat screen tv....

We booked the party hopper with the Transat rep. It was good we went to 3 of the popular bars/clubs. If you have never been to cancun (like us) it might be the best way to see it. It was 80$ USD. This included transportation to and from the hotel ,entrance to the 3 bars/clubs and all the drinks you want!!(OPEN BAR!!) Bus picked us up at 8:20 pm and we were back for about 3:30 am.

Staff: The staff is amazing they really keep the hotel clean, guys constantly cleaning the pool/beach/ sweeping the sand of the stairs...ect...

We also went in to the small town of Puerto Morelos it was a 6$ cab ride to go and 6$ to come back. We bought some gifts their, they had very good prices and it was very easy to bargain with the local people.

Over all we loved NH Riviera Cancun, and hopefully will be able to return soon! Anyone reading these reviews if you are an easy going person with tanning and relaxing on your mind you will surely love this resort. I will try to post pictures soon!

Not a Honeymooner's Paradise

by TripAdvisor Member sassygirlWisconsin

We spent our honeymoon for a week at NH Riviera Cancun resort in Puerto Morelos. I would definitely not recommend this place for honeymooners. No special catering or treatment for newlyweds as I’ve heard of at other resorts.

The rooms were very nice and clean. The maid service here is excellent. They keep the fridges well stocked also. However, we did have a very interesting and scary event that took place in our room on the third night. My husband and I were watching TV when we heard some clanking noises that sounded like it was right above us. Then we heard some dripping sound and thought we could maybe hear our neighbors showering. The drips turned into a loud pouring of water and we discovered water pouring from the sky lights on our bathroom ceiling and filling up our bathroom. We called the front desk and they acted like it was no big deal and said they’d get us a new room. We rushed around packing up all of our things and took our bags to the lobby since no one had come yet and explained what was going on to the front desk and they still acted like it was nothing. We got the manager “Oscar” and he came out and made us take him to our room as if he didn’t believe us. By the time we got there the ceiling over the Jacuzzi tub had collapsed into the tub. He apologized but didn’t upgrade our room or offer more than a bottle of champagne for compensation. Terrible Customer Service if you ask me!!!!

Make sure not to book the “tropical view” unless you don’t mind looking out over a dried up marsh and swamp. If you ask to be moved you will be charged extra per night. The plus side of this is the privacy since the shades are see- through.

I agree with many others on the food. The buffets were awful! The omelets were the only decent thing for breakfast so that is basically all we ate. Lunch left very little to be desired. I filled up on chips and guacamole every day. Even the menu to order from is bad. Burgers taste nothing like real burgers so don’t bother. Yuck! We made reservations for the a la carte for every night as soon as we got there which I highly recommend! We had to eat at the dinner buffet only once because we missed our reservation and it was below average. The Asian restaurant is by far the best! I highly recommend making reservations there as much as possible, especially the Teppanyaki because there is the Teppanyaki (hibachi grill) or Asian menu there and you have to specify when you make the reservation. The Italian and Senses are ok, but the service at the a la cartes far outweigh the service at the buffets. The servers would bring you your first drink and then you’d never see them again at the buffet.

When on the beach the service was awful too. We would maybe get one or two drinks brought to us if we were lucky the whole day we were on the beach. They definitely need more employees. I drank Pina Coladas every day and never got sick. They were great! Beer is very watered down. If you want something strong you’ll have to order it straight on the rocks or it will be very weak. The bar in the lobby had good service and I would recommend stopping before and after dinner. The bartenders here deserve good tips.

I would advise to get out to the beach or poolside early in the am to reserve a spot on a chair for the day by leaving your towels on them. We never had a problem in the beginning of our stay but there were a lot of new people towards the end which made it difficult to find a spot.

We did go snorkeling one day with the water sports group from the resort. If you go over to their hut and make reservations they were meeting people in Puerto Morelos at the pier and taking them from there since the waves were too rough to bring the boat in at the resort. That was worth doing at least once. We also booked a trip to Isla Mujeres, which you can do through that group too or the concierge at the hotel. I highly recommend going there!!! You can make a reservation to swim with the dolphins while there. That was the best experience ever! They also have snorkeling with sting rays, sharks, and a zip line over the ocean. There was a very nice park there to hang out for the day. That was my favorite day.

This resort needs to really vamp up their service to be a true 4.5 star resort. They were only operating 3 of their 9 buildings when we were there too so I can’t imagine when they have all of them filled! I still had a good time and would be less disappointed overall if it wasn’t my honeymoon.

it was ok... above average...

by TripAdvisor Member tanned-n-happy

We just came back from a week trip to the NH Riviera Cancun luxury resort in Puerto morelos.

Rooms- the rooms were amazing. The beds were very comfy. The sheets were soft to the touch. The TV’s were big and they swivel and there are many TV channels in English. The best channel was 31. It was Sony and it had shows like ugly betty, Frasier, desperate housewives, 90210, scrubs, grays anatomy, will and grace and shows like that (many good sitcoms in English). The sofa was comfy and the bathrooms were big and nice. The only problem was the curtains. At night you were able to see in and we saw a little boy dancing naked in the shower. It was really funny until he took of his pants at the point we walked away. So be careful, only take a shower in the day or do not turn on the light. The balconies were nice; just make sure that you ask for a room facing the pool/compound. If you have a room that faces outside, not only will you have a terrible view of dead marsh land/swamp but there are tons of mosquitoes. The mini fridges were always stocked with coke, water, 7up and bier. No liquor dispensers, no ipod docking station and no DVD player. Don’t waste your time bringing DVDs cause you can’t watch them (that’s what happened to us).

Food- the food was either really good on some night or terrible on others. We did not get sick (4 of us) but my husband did get a but of the runs for one day. Be careful not to eat the fruit on display or was them really well with bottled water. The buffet was good at breakfast. The omelettes were like at any hotel and there hash browns and sausages are good. For the first 5 days, the pool restaurant for lunch was a buffet. But on the last 2 days of our stay they only had menus, the food was really good. I recommend the beef steak or the chicken sandwich. The dinner buffet wasn’t the good… not a lot 2 choose from. The senses restaurant was good… I Had the steak and it was amazing! The Asian was also really good. The spring rolls were great! The Mexican was also good. We did not get sick. I had the chicken in mole sauce and it was so tasty! When we went to the Italian, it was Christmas day so there was a special menu… do not know how the normal food is. But on Christmas it was really good. The a la carte restaurants were the best, don’t go to the buffets. Try to get the a la carte!

Drinks- the drinks were awful! The summer breeze made me sick the same as the pina coladas and the strawberry daiquiris. The only somewhat decent drink was the wine. Even the beer was flat. Id stick to beer or wine, the other drinks are terrible and WILL make you sick.

Service- as many other people have said, there is a big shortage of staff; it takes a while for you to even just get water! One time I ordered a 7up and I finished lunch before I got it… the staff are pleasant though and the staff at the a la carte restaurants really deserve a good tip! There are 2 waiters, and they run all over the restaurant to make everyone happy. At the pool scene only 2wice in my week someone asked if I wanted a drink. Just get up and go to the bar.

Pool- the pool was pretty cold. Just bit the bullet and jump or walk quickly in. After a while it’s liveable. The only tip is going to the ocean and get wet and then go to the pool. It helped us a lot getting into the pool. The pools were pretty big and nice. The overflow was very nice but a lot of people are there, I suggest going into the part with the swim up bar, it’s less crowded, sunnier, warmer and more space to swim around. The pools are 4’6”.

Ocean/Beach- The Ocean was like a bath tub! The beach was one of my favourite parts of the hotel. It was hit in miss; it all depends on what washed up overnight. The beach past the far canabas was amazing, very soft and swimable. We spent a lot of time in the water and playing in the sand. When we were there it was VERY choppy, so be careful, the only thing is to stand and have the waves hit you, it’s very enjoyable.

Nightly Entertainment- WOW… really pathetic! The dancers could not dance and they were fat with there blubber shaking about… the only ok shows were the prehispanic (professional people came) and the fire show was ok but boring after a bit of the same 3 moves. If you have to see 2 shows I would see the prehispanic show and the show “elegant” the show elegant was so pathetic we could not stop laughing! There was nothing elegant about that!

Airtransat women- I forget her name but she was no help at all… the first rooms that were given we ready for us (slippers, welcome gift, housecoats etc.) but we had to switch rooms and we got a room that was not ready. For the whole week we kept on telling her that we did not get the welcome gift. She kept on saying I asked this morning. We never got the bottle of tequila! She was never really that friendly.

Activities- There wasn’t a lot 2 do at the hotel. On the first couple of days there was nothing. After a couple there was dancing lessons and beach volleyball. The only problem is that there were no prizes so what was the point when you could just relax.

Power outages- there were 4 during the christmas dinner, one lasting up to 20 minutes, other for a mere 30 seconds. On christmas day there were 3. I think they sorted it out cause we did not have one on our last day.

Computer- For the first 5 days there was only 1 computer in the lobby, after ther brougt in 2 more and they were out into the buisness center (passed the picture booth). The only problem is that some people are so rude they hover over your shoulder and say “only for messaging” in a weird accent, meanwhile you are talking to someone on msn wich is private. They were so ignorant they were reading all of what you were saying. I almost wish it wasn’t free so that way people would not hover over your shoulders. Another interesting thing was that on the last 2 days, someone logged off the computer and you needed a pass to get in. No one in the hotel knew the pass! Not the photo booth, not even the front desk! By our last day there were 2 working unlike the 1 earlier.

Photo both- 10$ for an 6X8. 10$ for a cd with 1 pic on it. 20$ for an 11X15. Every other day they had different animals come it (monkeys, eguana and tucan)

Gift shop- expensive! Go to puerto morelos or playa del carmen!

Puerto Morelos- So tiny! Beautiful little leaning lighthouse but only like 5 stores! 60 (6$ USD) pesos or 30 hour walk.

Puppet show- It’s a MUST see. I forget wich day it is… but it’s at 8pm at the lobby! It was amazing. They had ariel, mickey, minnie and the most amazing clown. They also had others. The things these guys could do with a puppet! Blow there nose, blow up a ballon! And the music for it was funny! A must see!

I guess that pretty much sums up the place. It was an ok vacation, I would not come back tho. If you booked it just be open minded, it not tht bad! I did have a wonderful time inbetween the minor issues but it’s vacation! Relax! And also if you find the pool cold, just go into the ocean then pool while you are still wet. It works!

NH has potential...

by TripAdvisor Member macdorog

We just got back from a week at the NH Riviera (Dec 20-27) This was our first time at an all-inclusive but having done lots of research and hearing my friends talk about their experiences, I was pretty sure about what to expect from a 4.5 star hotel. The NH lived up to the reputation for some things but still needs lots of work in other areas.

Things I wish we'd known:

Bring lots of money, even though it's an all-inclusive. Tipping is expected..not on ly on the resort but EVERYWHERE! The front desk will not give you $1 bills or small pesos for tipping so make sure you order some at your bank before you go. I would say you'd need about $50.00 in tips for a one-week stay, maybe more if you're eating at the a la carte restaurants where they expect you to tip $5-$10.00. (People who expect daily tips: buffet servers, waiters, bartenders, taxis, tour guides, room service, maid service--leave money daily on the pillows so they know it's for them).

The hotel has no ATM, and the nearest one is in Puerto Moreles which costs $12 return by taxi, and then an $8 ATM charge to take out money! We needed cash in Playa del Carmen when we went shopping and the taxi cost $30.00 USD each way!! There were neat vendors and artisans in the courtyard of the hotel selling their wares but they didn't take credit cards so again, having cash with you always helps. The hotel photographer is always prowling around taking photos and then will try to sell them to you for $10.00 each....and again, they don't take credit cards..only cash. Their photos are very well done and you'll want to buy some of them, for sure!

There are only THREE computers for client use. Impossible to get access to one unless you get up with the birds at 6am. Bring a laptop if you absolutely need to be in touch by email with work or family, as there's wireless access in the lobby.

Good things:

Beautiful rooms, spacious bathrooms, excellent maid service, wonderful bartenders and servers at all meals, very pleasant front-desk staff, beautiful lobby with bar and evening entertainment, pristine grounds, clean pools, interesting and varied evening entertainment..would highly recommend the Fire Show and the Pre-Hispanic Show.

We had a problem with the air conditioning and burned out light bulbs and all we had to do was call and the workmen fixed us up within an hour. Very helpful.

Bartenders...very capable and friendly. Filberto at the poolside and Carlos in the lobby never got flustered no matter how big the crowds were.

Breakfast buffet: amazing!! Every food you can imagine...and all very delicious!

Our room overlooked the swamp and although many on this forum have complained about that, we liked it! It was calm, and private and yes, there were some mosquitos, but I prefer them to having everyone look at us out on our balcony if we were in the front part of the hotel.

The sports hut offers trips to the coral reef to go snorkeling for $2 per person...a real steal, as the other outfits start at $15-20 per person!! The only other cost is the $12 return taxi trip to Puerto Moreles where the boat leaves from. My children really enjoyed this activity.

Problems:

The beach is hit and miss depending on what the surf washed in the night before. I went down every morning around 7am, and the men were already working to rake up the seaweed, but so many rocks and coral chunks wash up that it is impossible to rid the beach of them all and it is impossible to swim in the ocean in front of the hotel. However, if you walk down the beach to the right, there are miles and miles of pristine beach with more or less clear areas to swim in. The waves were relentless, though, all last week, and the undertow is quite strong so I would not let children under 12 play in this water unsupervised.

Speaking of children, we were disappointed that the Kids Club only provided activities like Video Games and Arts and Crafts. Of course our kids weren't interested in that if they could swim! As a result, we had very little free time as a couple...the kids hung out with us as there was nothing else for them, and no Teen Club at all for my 12 yr old to fit in and meet other young teens on the resort.

Reserve your chair poolside or on the beach by 8am by leaving a towel (we'd keep our towel from the day before and use it in the morning to reserve the chair, then get a new one when the pool people came on duty) Sometimes just leaving a towel is not enough as newbie resort people don't know the etiquette that means a chair has been reserved by doing this. Our chairs were taken from us in this way, so I quickly learned to leave a water bottle or our sun-tan lotion, or a book/magazine on the chair as well as the towel.

Food: The food situation at first seemed ok..the buffet was great for our kids (11 and 12), especially the breakfast buffet where you'll find everything under the sun. We were usually so full that we didn't want much during the day which was a good thing because only the 'snack' restaurant by the pool serves food at lunch. There are only about 7 things on the menu...fish, hamburger (not like our hamburgers), grilled chicken sandwich, beef sandwich, club sandwich and one or two other things of the same type. There was a small buffet table there that served salsa, guacomole, tortilla chips and fresh veggies, icecream and some squares and cookies. This was ok for a day or two, but after 6 days, it got old and I would have liked to have had another choice of places to go for lunch.

We were unable to get reservations for a la carte restaurants because there were only 2 restaurants open a night and with over 300 people at the hotel, reservations were at a premium so we did the supper buffet. Again, it was fun the first night or two, but then we kept seeing the same meals being recycled...over and over again. Some dishes were new, but nothing fancy or artistic was presented. It was like cafeteria food. Desserts were not good at all, very pre-fab and boring. (I'm a foodie and was looking forward to a 4.5 star culinary experience. especially after hearing my friends rave about food at these kinds of resorts) Some friends we met who tried the a la carte restaurants raved about the food, especially the Asian restaurant.

We tried to get extra pillows..started asking on day 2 and never did receive any!

Pools were freezing...no service at the swim-up bar--you had to get out of the pool and up to the poolside bar. (not a big deal, but it was something novel I wanted to try and didn't get a chance to)

As I mentioned above, the sports hut offers trips to the coral reef to go snorkeling for $2 per person... However, I never would have known about it had I not read about it here on a travel forum! There was nothing in the rooms announcing the activities for the day or the services that are provided for the guests.(they offer aquarobics, yoga, salsa dancing lessons each day, but if you're not poolside when they come around announcing that they're starting, you won't know they're happening!) So, go to the hut next to where the beach volleyball net is on the beach, between 8:30-9:00 in the morning,if you want to reserve a place on the snorkeling trip. They only take about 14 or so each trip and this sells out early.

Bottom line: We really enjoyed our stay but I wasn't blown out of the water as I hoped I'd be. If you're looking for a quiet, isolated place to relax and don't care if you're not waited on hand and foot, NH Riviera is a good choice. If you have kids, there isn't much for them there after they've swum their little hearts out, especially for the pre-teen/teen set. The staff is very willing to help and they are the heart and soul of this place...so friendly and polite. They still have a ways to go to be a 4.5 hotel, in my opinion, but they are well on their way.

Well it was a adventure for sure.

by TripAdvisor Member harperone

Just got home from a week at the NH. That was the biggest chalenge for us and any one else flying on Air transat . Dont expect any help from the rep at the Nh. We had no notice that our flight and transport had all been changed. I had talked to her at ten thirty to get money back for a tour and not a word that our day was about to go down hill.There was another couple with us sitting out side the hotel wondering where the transport was when a bell boy came out to tell us there had been a incident and our flight had been changed? Again no tour rep could be found to tell us what was going on. Bell boy told us ther would be transport at four, bus showed up at 4:45. Others on the bus did not no what was going on either, no one from airtransat was talking it seemes. Any way finnaly got to Calgary at 6:00 am after a delay in Vancouver. Should have been 1:00am.

The best part was the rooms, we made it into a brand new suite looking at the Ocean on the third floor, the room was very big with two big screen tvs ( to bad there was only two english channels to watch, cnn and the cartoons).

Hotel was very nice, a few bug issues but it is Mexico.

Gota be honest about the food though, it sucked. Does not matter where you ate the food was always stone cold and tasted like it had been premade the night before. Over a one week period we had one hot meal and that was on our last day and it was ordered of the menu. Bring tums for this resort.

Staff is hit and miss. Most can not understand any english past the normal hello. House keeping was hit and miss as well. Sometimes you would get water at night and sometimes not. One night house keeping showed up at 9:30 at night? wow.

Over all we had a good time, hard not to enjoy plus 35 when it is minus 30 at home. Airtransat lost alot of customers yesterday, ever the customs guys at Calgary where not very happy with Airtansat and where opnely comenting on it.

Great new resort with lots of potential

by TripAdvisor Member juliaCanada

Just got back from a week at NH (Dec 13-20), overall had a great time. We have been travelling to AIs around the Caribbean for many years now and this was definitely one of our favourites.

THE SHORT STORY:
Great opportunity to visit a luxury resort that may be out of your price range normally, as there are lots of good discounts to be had while the resort works through its "growing pains". Overall a beautiful resort with some great features, but would not pay top dollar until the kinks have been worked out

THE LONG STORY
Beach - rocky in the middle, nice and sandy towards either end of the resort's property. Can take long walks off resort property. High waves, especially this time of year.

Food - quite good for resort food. More quality than variety. Making reservations for the a la carte's is a huge pain in the butt, have to stand in a long line that moves at a snail's pace. Lunch buffet is hit-and-miss, but can order off a menu as well. If, however, you plan on doing this, bring a book. It takes forever. That being said, you are seated on a beautiful patio in the open air, pretty much right on the beach, so waiting isn't really all that painful. Service at all the restaurants is slow, but for the most part the staff are super friendly and you can see they are trying their best, but are still understaffed.

Property - this is where the resort really shines. The rooms and buildings are beautiful, and the layout is excellent - most rooms have a view of the pools/ocean and all rooms are centrally located. This is not one of those sprawling resorts where you need a trolley to get around. The pools are all of the infinity variety and go right up to the beach - absolutely gorgeous. Request a room near the beach but facing the pools (you will get a partial ocean view) to avoid getting a view of the mangrove swamp, which is quite ugly. Also, there are apparently mosquitos there, which is unfortunate as the balcony doors don't have screens on them. The rooms themselves are fantastic, all have a sunken living room with a swivelling flatscreen TV and humongous, beautiful marble bathrooms with rain showers.

Activities - the nightly entertainment is so-so. The staff do organize a trip to Coco Bongo, which is great if you brought your dancing shoes and drinking hat. There is also a disco/sports bar on site. Tennis, basketball, and racquetball courts are on the roof and lit up at night. Daily activities include yoga by the pool in the morning and beach volleyball and waterpolo in the afternoon. The activities staff are really great - friendly and enthusiastic without being overly aggressive like at some resorts

Housekeeping - agree with the previous post that it was hit and miss. You could tell that it was not cleaned properly some days. There was actually sand in my bed the first night. Bottled water was not restocked sometimes as the resort kept running out every couple days (but only for half a day or so and then it would reappear). Turndown service was great, the guy working the 1300 block is a gem

Tips & Tricks:
- room service is available 24 hrs and is free. Cheese pizza is good, stay away from the sandwiches
- there is no card-for-towel business, you can have as many towels as you like.
- towel games to reserve the sun loungers are in full swing. During our stay, many people were not aware of the rules or chose not to abide by them - ie would move your towels and plop themselves down on your lounger (or as in the case of one delightful woman, take your lounger and then threaten to have you arrested if you moved her things to get your towel back). Staff adds to the confusion by putting out towels for guests on the loungers around the pool early in the morning. If you want to reserve a lounger, make sure to leave some clothes or a beach bag on it. Best areas of the beach fill up before 8 am
- checked out the area around the Paradise Club suites, and from the outside looks like nothing special. The pool area is MUCH nicer in the steerage section of the resort. Also the club pool doesn't get very much sun
- a trip into Puerto Morelos is well worth it (half hr walk from the resort, or you can take a taxi). Its a very quaint, cute little town with lots of interesting nooks and crannies to explore.

Overall we were very happy with our vacation. A bit of patience is definitely required at this resort, but they seem to be improving rapidly. Remember, if your biggest problem at the moment is you have to wait extra long for your food as you sit in the sunshine watching the waves crash onto the beach, you're doing pretty good.

Relaxing

by TripAdvisor Member TXdudeNtn

With being a new Resort I didnt know what to expect. Its about 10 miles south of the Cancun Airport, so it was a quick drive. The Resort is beautiful, we had a regular room, but I was impressed with it. The rooms facing out away from the pool or beach didnt have a very nice view, but who cares thats not why i stayed there. I was well taken care of and enjoyed my stay, anyone complaining about this place probably in never satisfied. I would return especially at the rate we got. Only thing I could complain about was how cold the pools were, so as you can see thats pretty trival. Relaxing

Transat distinction selection??

by TripAdvisor Member sungirl09

My boyfriend and I spent a week at the NH from December 19-26th. I agree with most of the other reviews. The rooms are beautiful and the resort overall is very relaxing and luxurious. The staff is very friendly and always willing to help. Show them some respect and tip when you can and you will be pleasantly surprised. As far as their English capabilities, I didnt have any problems and found the staff to be better than most other all inclusive hotels in the south. Housekeeping is great..they clean your room in the morning and someone comes at night to give you fresh minibar drinks, towels, soaps etc. My room was always clean by noon or so.

This resort is rather remote. However, you can get anywhere by cab and if you are only here for a week, one or two excursions or cab rides to other places will keep you busy enough.

Now for the negatives. I will not stay here again or recommend this hotel to my friends mainly because of the food. Most of the other reviews are right. The food was cold with not much variety. The a la cartes are pretty good...but most people I talked to were not happy with the food by the morning after. Luckily, the store at the hotel sells pepto and alka seltzers...they will be needed.

The food is what prevents this hotel from being rated any higher. Also, on Christmas night, there were multiple blackouts/brownouts where the resort was without power AND RUNNING WATER for at least 20 minutes at a time. Good luck to those who might have been in an elevator at the time or trying to use the toilet. See the attached photo that we took of the bathroom tap being on with no water to be found

I booked this trip mainly because although the hotel was new, it was part of the TRANSAT DISTINCTION selection. I have booked many trips with Air Transat before, however, this will be my last one. The Transat hotel rep was useless and didnt know much about anything and was very very hard to find. I think she would disappear so she wouldnt have to hear all the customer complaints about diarrehea and no running water. I think if she was doing her job correctly, Transat would be more aware of the problems at this resort and not make it part of their distinction selection.

I called and emailed Transat before I came on the trip to see if I could stay somewhere else since the hotel name had changed and the reviews I had read were quite bad. However, they werent very accomodating.

Keep an open mind when staying here and enjoy the nice weather and relaxing time. The staff try their best to make your trip enjoyable and you will notice that the resort is improving each day. I am just not impressed that my boyfriend and I were the guinea pigs.

Living up to expectations

by TripAdvisor Member relaxed012

We did not have very high expectations for the NH, as it is new and we were booking last minute. With that in mind, we have been pleased with our stay so far.

As noted in other postings, service can be very slow and hit or miss. It is, however, usually very polite and friendly. We have been staying on the Paradise side of the resort, which may make a difference.

The room is wonderful, with a kingsize bad and tvs in both the lounge and the bedroom. A jacuzzi tub on the balcony is a nice touch, but we were unsure how much people on the ground could see! This would be a nicer feature on the side exclusively facing the ocean.

We have been having trouble with the power going out in our room, hopefully that will be cleared up today.

The food has been great everywhere we have eaten, with service at the restaurants efficient and the food hot. We also enjoyed the buffet, and while the food was not raging hot, it WAS 35 degrees outside and I wonder why you would want to eat hot food in the middle of the day ... vegetarian options would have been nice, there was an awful lot of meat and not many vegetables.

The beach is great on either end of the resort, and the pools beautiful. We never have had trouble finding chairs or shade, and there are lots of towels.

The $2 snorkeling trip to the reef was a wonderful experience, and should not be missed!

It is hard to say what the experience on the Mirage side would be, the pools are very nice and large, and there is a childrens program. There are tennis courts and basketball courts, as well as a gym and a spa. It did not seem overly crowded on that side, but I do not think I would enjoy a room overlooking the swamp.

Absolutely fabulous

by TripAdvisor Member DarleyDaleGirl

We have travelled fairly extensively the past 12 years and stayed at all inclusives in Venezuela (main land), Margarita Island, Cuba, Panama and D.R. This resort exceeded all our expectations. We paid just a little extra and stayed in the adult only section from 19th to 26th Dec. It was well worth the upgrade and worth checking out.. The food was excellent as was the service and staff. The rooms were huge and very luxurious. Yes, the beach was corally but we were able to walk in both directions for up to about 40 mins each way. The ocean was quite rough some days and yet people did go in when the red flags were up. Unfortunately, the drowning on Christmas Day was well off the resort beach, not in the flagged area and was the father of a Mexican boy who were not hotel guests. We managed to find a section of the beach where there was less coral in the sea and where the flags were yellow. Grahame was able to swim in the ocean every day.

All the a la carte restaurants are now up and running. We liked the Asian the best. The Pure opened the day we left but heard that it was great.

What more can you ask for - sun, ocean, beach, fantastic food and we met some amazing people. All in all the 7 days went far too fast.

Thanks Islandfor2. Your info. was very helpful. How is El Salvador?

Comments