Av Rafael E Melgar 457 Sur entre 5 y 7, San Miguel de Cozumel, 77600, Mexico

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 61% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Casa Mexicana Cozumel

LOVED CASA MEXICANA

my wife and I stayed 2/3-9. Excellent. We have stayed over the years twice in the old Plaza Los Glorias (which is closed and in the process of a COMPLETE - finally - restoration), and once in Fiesta Americana (which is WAY sout h of town and has a lousy entry to the water anyway).

We had an ocean view room (which i heartily recommend). First (and only) problem with the room was the mattress. But it was softer than the other 2 hotels we stayed in. Half way through the first nite I was ok with it. The room was IMMACULATE. The cleaning staff clean everything every day. We left a $3 tip daily. Hope that was enough. We certainly appreciated their efforts. Rooms have satellite tv (how much do you really watch tv - most is Spanish language)) and a small refrigerator which was practically new.

The rest of the facility was just as nice. The breakfast bar is a full breakfast, sausage, bacon, eggs anyway, fruits, cereals, FRESH orange juice, GOOD coffee, GREAT staff, ask for toast and they will make it and bring it to you quickly.

The room service for sandwiches is quick and excellent. And inexpensive.

I can't say enough about the staff's positive attitude. If one doesn't understand, he will find someone who does with a gracious smile!

An FYI. The main street in front of Casa (and most of it's length through the town) was shut down. Taxis come to the side of the hotel. You couldn't be let out in front. But that is probably all open now.

And my granddaughter loved the "lady bug" toy that Fernanda (the sales manager) gave me our last day.

Have a great time.

Casa Mexicana Rocks with genuine Mexican hospitality!!

by TripAdvisor Member rOgdives_7

Another seasoned travel vet can tell you it's your home away from home. From the immaculate premises, spacious neat-as-a-pin rooms, award winning architecture, beautiful artworks, warm and personal attention, breakfast buffet extraordinaire (included free!), and a price far lower than other local resorts, Casa Mexicana fits our needs and price. We loved our week of being pampered!!
As divers spending $130.00 extra on daily dive trips, we are looking for a break on high hotel bills, so we can spend it on diving every day, instead. Casa Mexicana provides the luxury we crave, personal friendliness on the part of the staff, and an overall operation that runs like a well oiled machine.
This was my fifth trip to Cozumel, and my second stay at Casa Mexicana. My last trip there was five years ago, and the place was every bit as impressive as it was the first time I saw it. Casa also provides close proximity to town for shopping, restaurants, and local culture that isn't found at out of town resorts. We will always stay at Casa Mexicana, where you are treated like family!!!

Great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Shelsad

We stayed at the Casa Mexicana Cozumel 12/19/04 - 12/26/04.
We are a family of 4 with 2 boys ages 10 & 13. Everything was very clean. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The pool was only okay just because it is very small and the water was very cold when we were there. We had an ocean view room that I highly recommend. It was great to watch the ships coming and going. The only complaint I have is the road construction in front of the hotel. That is not the hotel's fault but it was loud at time. The breakfast buffet was awesome. We were always able to find something for our picky eater to eat. We would definitely stay there again.

Loved, loved, loved it!!

We stayed a week at Casa Mexicana, with our teenage daughters and we loved it! We have stayed many places around the country, usually 4 & 5 star hotels, infortunately, but fortunately, their were no hotels with those ratings available for our time we stayed. The hotel is beautiful, extremely clean, & a very friendly and helpful staff! We loved being so close to all the shops and restaurants, and yet it was such a short distance to the beautiful Paradise Beach. We were told that breakfast was included, and for the price we were paying, we expected a continental breakfast. Much to our surprise, it was a full breakfast, complete with pretty much anything you could want. I would highly recommend this hotel! We are already planning on staying there on our trip next year during carnival time, even if there are higher star rated hotels available! We can't wait!!

~~The Linds, Wyoming, MN.

Just OK

i stayed at the Casa Mexicana on my first trip to Cozumel/Mexico several years ago. It has some good points. Rooms were nice and clean, staff was very helpful and freindly. Breakfast buffet was a nice way to start the day. It is located on the main drag of Cozumel. Walk out the front door and the ocean is just across the street. It is not a beach area though. It is wharfs and fishing boats, etc. You have to take a taxi or bus or boat to swimming/snorkeling areas. If you like waking up to the sounds of street vendors and traffic, this hotel might be for you. It is in the heart of the commercial area. Good-it's close to everything commercial. Bad-it's noisy and vendors are waiting right outside the front door to try to sell you everything and anything. Some days as many as 8 cruise ships pull in and dump thousands of tourists on to main street cozumel. I have found these crowds to be noisy and rude.
The beds were very, very hard. Not firm, HARD>every night (morning) between 2-3 in the morning, the desk staff runs a daily report. Big deal you are thinking. However, a dot matrix printer whined and squealed for almost 45 minutes and it echoed in the open lobby area. I could hear it like it was right next to my bed. Being a light sleeper, this annoyed me to no end. Maybe they have updated to a quieter printer by now, otherwise I would not go back.
I have gone back to Mexico and stayed at all inclusive (Bahia Principe, Akumel) and we loved it. That's a whole new review but just a little comparison-No one bothered us (selling), the staff and food was fabulous, the activities and shows were great, the beach was private and clean. You can snorkel, kayak or swim right out your front door. If you want a quieter vacation, pick a resort that is not in commercial part of Cancun or Cozumel.

best yet

by TripAdvisor Member txartistNorthTexas

First time at this hotel...hadn't been to Cozymel in 7 years...this was the best hotel so far. We went on package diving deal and paid the little bit extra for "all inclusive". Believe me, we drank and ate more than the daily extra cost. Vanilla ice cream delivered to my ocean view room was super!!!Great in-town location on main street, walk everywhere except taxi to dive shop, cheap cheap!!Cleanest place I've ever been. Friendly and helpful staff, my wish was their command! The bar opens at 12 noon and while there is not a bartender standing there the whole time you simply have to ask and he will appear. Animal shaped towels everyday (the peel off eyes and mouths were fun stickers ;) ) Most other guests appeared to be Mexican tourists, a few divers also stayed here. It is modern and comfortable.

Quick Getaway Trip

by TripAdvisor Member suds3630

We planned our trip to this hotel just a few days before we arrived. We usually go to resorts but we wanted to stay in town as we were only staying 4 days and my husband wanted to do some quick diving. (scuba rental right next door). My biggest concern before arriving was safety. This place is very safe, infact the whole island feels safe!

arrival: We emailed ahead and asked to upgrade to an ocean view and were told we could do so for 20.00 each night. When we arrived they said there were no rooms available. As we were ready to go to our room they began talking and gave us a different room, again not ocean view, so we asked again if they were sure there was no ocean front room available, they talked among themselves and said no, so we took our key and as we were ready to leave they talked again and took our key back, then said we could have an uprgraded room. I'm not sure what that was all about, but we did get our ocean view room and I would highly recommend paying the extra for the upgrade if one is available.

Cleanliness: The room are immaculant! the maids do a FABULOUS job! Even the tile hallways were swept, mopped and dried everyday. The water is purified so no worries. New linens each day, new towel decorations etc...

food: Breakfast was great! on 2 of the days a person was there to make special egg orders. they had fruit, cereal, rolls, yoghurt, bacon, potatoes etc.. very nice setup and included in your room fee.

Pool: This is more of a dipping pool. It is located in the lobby. There are lounge chairs facing the ocean (which is across the street). I enjoyed watching the cruise ship, people and pelicans go by.

Noise: This is not the resorts fault but you may want to call if you are booking anytime soon. Cozumels waterfront is in the process of a complete re-do. It is going to be fabulous! In the meantime, There were jackhammers in front of our resort the entire 4 days. They started at 7 a.m. and went to 7 p.m. and one night until 11! Senior Frogs is is 2 blocks down and you can hear that music until 4 a.m. Because the entire hotel is tiled it echos all sounds. There is a space, beneath the hotel room door and the floor, so you hear everything going on in the hotel. I bought earplags, then I was fine. I did not complain as it was out of the hotels hands.
Rentals:
we rented a VW convertable (I think someone cut a hole out of the top with a saw). In town prices 40.00. resort prices were $80, we were told. We loved going to the beaches. You MUST go to them, white sand, great snorkeling etc... Again felt very safe among the semi desolate beaches. Great little place to stop along to way for a cervesa. GO to COconuts, great view. Our rental place called us the day AFTER we returned the car and asked if we had been in an accident, after replying no, she said someone had seen us smash into the red VW in the rental yard. We assured her we didn't and even returned the vehicle with a full tank of gas which is much more than when we got it. She said she believed us as it looked like someone had taken a hammer to it, the dents couldn't have been from hitting another vehicle. We were glad she believed us, not sure what we could have done otherwise. I think it would be advisable to either have them walk out and check the vehicle for damage before you leave it or take a picture (the kind that has a date and time stamp)of your vehicle after you return it and hand it to them upon turning in the keys to assure the condition of your vehicle.

Town: The town is very nice. People need to remember that this is an old town and the water system is archaic, so toilets are pretty scary, no paper is allowed to be flushed down, (although this was not the case in our hotel). The barkers heckle you but quickly stop after you've passed by. The food in town was wonderful. One night we went to (can'trememberthe name) but I was served 6 lobster tails with cream sauce, crumbled bacon etc it was the best thing I've ever tasted. Another night we went to Acquaras (or soemthing like that , it is on the waterfront aboout 3 blocks over) Sat right next to the waters edge, angain had lobster, margarita. they had a 3 person band playing a soft version of Santana, absolutely beautiful mixed with the warm breeze and the quiet, .light decorated ship that was passing through! It was like something out of a movie.

Great 4 days, Casa Mexican is as advertised and staff friendly!

Outstanding Architecture throughout

by TripAdvisor Member catoduck

I went on a last minute (booked the night before I left) vacation from 1/29/05 to 2/2/05. This of course was too short for my liking! I arrived in cozumel at 9:00pm and the van that brought me to the hotel dropped me off at a back door (because of the road work being done.) After vacationing on cozumel many times, this is my first time staying in town. When I got into the lobby I was very impressed and the people at the front desk were very friendly. The architecture in this hotel is amazing. I stayed in an ocean view room on the 3rd floor and had 2 double beds with a desk, refrigerator, and I believe there is internet access in the room. They serve a breakfast buffet until 11:00am (included) so I usually only had to purchase one meal a day. I like spending my days at the beach so this was the only drawback to staying here. I took taxi's to a different beach each day and stayed until it was closing time. If I stay at this hotel again I would probably rent a car for my stay.

Wonderful bargin

We stayed for a week and could not be happier. The combination of a great breakfast and a refrigerator for lunch stuff, made dining out at night a real opputunity for extravagance, which was still cheap, esp La Perlita!

Great place to stay in Cozumel

Nice, clean room (see reviews below for all the details). I had the unfortunate experience of staying there during a soccer tournament. As a result there were screaming 10 year olds running up and down the hallways starting at 8AM. To make matters worse, the building is entirely masonery/tile and there is no carpeting so the sound was just magnified.

The breakfast buffet is a nice touch however the limited staff had a hard time keeping up with the mess the kids were making. My advice is to go early before the food gets cold.

The location could not have been better. Just a couple of blocks from the main square. NOTE: THE MAP ON HOTELS IS WRONG! The hotel is located on the main drag just a few blocks south of the ferry terminal. All the water there is purfied which is also a nice touch.

I also had a disagreement with hotel manager. I will save you the details, just note that you should confirm any arrangements you make with them because they may decide at the last minute to reneg.

Burger King sign upper leftBurger King sign upper left

Mexican section  from the Cancun restaurantMexican section from the Cancun restaurant

Another diver taking a photoAnother diver taking a photo

Hamburguesas!Hamburguesas!