El Cid La Ceiba Cozumel

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 39% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about El Cid La Ceiba Cozumel

Very Good Time

We stayed at the La Ceiba the week of 8/14/04. You get hit prety hard at the airport for time share presentations. Be firm and say no. They do offer some good deals but the family was on a vacation to relax. We are time share owners and thought the resort was fine. Our room and service was good. Our rooms were not in the tower, but in the section behind the beach. We did hear horrible things about the tower. We were told the tower section will be remodeled in 2005. We got the all inclusive deal for 3 days, food and drinks. However no one told us about the all inclusive until we found out on our own the 2nd day. It was worth it but the food selections were not that great. you have to order off a limited menu, the food was good even though the selections were slim. We did go on the hotels time share presentation. It was good and our salesperson was excellent. No pressure presentation. I got a jeep for a day for 5 bucks. Toured the north shore, very nice. Good local food there. Shopping was fun, everyone sells the same things. Some good bargins. The beach was nice, swimming and snorkeling was great. The pools were nice but needed cleaning. The cruise ships do visit this hotel after getting of the ships and the resort does get loud and crowded. Plenty of chairs, get them early and nice shade. The service workers at the resort are friendly and as you get to know them actually fun. I would go back again.

questionable stay

Restaurant food was musty....Waitresses beged for tips over and over....Cleaning was poor...Overall building was dingy/dull inside....Staff seemed very angry, slow, poky, and didn't smile or seem energized....Thank goodness for outdoor activities!! I'll never stay there again!!

Very basic accomodations

This hotel was a good value for the money, but pretty basic. Clean and safe but without many amenities and certainly not luxurious. Like many Cozumel hotels, the El Cid does not have a sandy beach but you can snorkel and dive. There is a sunken plane within a few hundred yards. It is very close to where cruiseships come in.

Okay hotel, but not even close to 5 star resort

by TripAdvisor Member Razorback

It was a nice hotel, but it is certainly NOT a 5 star resort. I think the term "resort" is misleading for a hotel with a small beach and a limited dive shop. On your arrival they push very hard to get you to a time share presentation, so be prepared. There is only one, not two, restaurants but it was okay. The rooms are very functional and all of them look over the water and the cruise ships that are right next door. There is some snorkeling off the beach and it is a good place to practice before going off on a dive or snorkle trip. I strongly recommend Eagle Ray Divers in Cozumel for both snorkling and diving. We had such a good time on our first snorkle trip that we did a second all day trip. The hotel has a good deal of construction going on in the tower and we heard some complaints from other people about the noise. It didn't bother us because we were in the rooms along the beach behind the front desk.

never again will we stay here....

by TripAdvisor Member wa

My family was there in January 05 and I wished I would have known about this website before going. It was terrible. Our room was newer, but by all the construction. The doors of the dresser had no knobs on it and there was no pole to hang clothes. They did rectify it the next day. We only had 1 restauraunt (the internet said 2) and construction went on from 7 am until 10pm or sometimes it would begin at 11pm on the floor above our heads. We complained but they said the construction has to go on but they never suggested we move to another hotel until 2 days before we left. The catch, pay 700 more and take it up with your travel agent. The water didn't work in the shower 1 day until the evening, the cable didn't work until the evening for 3 days. We were all inclusive, if you could call it that. We had 1 of 2 working elevators and if it did work you would have to pry it open once it reached your floor. The other half of the time we had to walk up and down 93 steps avoiding wires and electrical cords. The smell was horrible by the elevators!The construction noise was so annoying and made sleeping rough. The restauraunt gave us 1 menu and the paying customer another. Ifelt like a second class citizen. I would not stay here again and if wasn't for the snorkeling, taking the Mexico boat over to Playa del Carmen for the day and the jeep tour our whole vacation would have been ruined even more. You save for a year and a half and then are disappointed for a whole week.. Never again.

Scam

My wife and I were enticed to take a "day pass" at El Cid, if we only took a one-hour tour of the resort. I mistakenly agreed and took a short taxi ride to the hotel, which the hotel did pay for. After a 30 minute wait, our "one hour started". The resort was good, but definitely not the spectacular place they were trying to push. The sales presentation started out pleasantly enough, but after two hours I had had enough and explained that I was not interested and for the $30,000 they wanted for this point system plan, I could easily invest and pay cash for a much nicer vacation with my return! They blew-up and called me various names and then finally left me alone. I only wish I had stopped them earlier. They did give everything they promised. Free lunch with drink, snorkeling (however, they didn't have flippers my size - 10), and a taxi ride back. They also gave me something they didn't promise- a headache!

Loved the El Cid

by TripAdvisor Member HTownMan

El Cid is the seventh different hotel I've tried out on the island. Stayed in early Feb. of 2005 and the hotel was completely booked. Our room was on the first floor. The next morning, I spoke with the front desk about a room upgrade at 9:00 am. Our hope was that someone in the towers was going home and sure enough, they gave us a room on the 9th floor.

They are renovating all of the rooms in the El Cid tower. All of the furniture, mattress, TV and air conditioner were completely brand new. Except for staying at the Grand Cozumel when it first opened, I've only seen very minor renovations at the other hotels. Major props to management/ownership at the El Cid.

View was incredible, even though the cruise ships cheapen it some what. Beach is small and man-made. Next door is the Park Royal's cove/beach. They have great snorkling at their beach.

Food was above average. The gouper was decent and the waiters were pleasant. Only one restaurant was open though. Food was better than most of the all-inclusive packages I've had on previous trips to Cozumel. Part of why is because we're next to Ernesto's Fajita Factory (good breakfest with few if any tourists in the morning) and is a $3 taxi ride into town for better food.

My only complaints are I would prefer a better/bigger beach and another restaurant. Other than those two items, I think the El Cid is an excellant choice for the money and location. Staff was okay. The staff at the Allegro (been there twice) is always polite and because I tipped after every few drinks the bartenders practically sprinted to me. Haven't been to El Presidente so I can't compare their service. Heard it is very good.

La Ceiba was a better hotel before El Cid purchased it

We stayed at La Ceiba in 1999 and had a wonderful time. The snorkeling was second to none, the staff was very nice and helpful (I requested a flower the first morning when I went downstairs to get fruit and an ice tea for my wife, every morning after, they had a flower waiting for me!!) the rooms were spacious and very clean.

We returned on March 5th to a completly different setting. The bar in the lobby was closed (that is where I was able to get tea at 6:00 AM every morning) and so was the inside restaurant (it had been turned into a computer room for the El Cid time share hawkers!!). The only restaurant on site did not open until 8:00 AM. There was still a coffee pot in the room but the no longer provide coffee. The beach was full every day from the cruise ships (there are now 4 ships a day). The elevators did not work properly. There was construction 16 to 18 hours a day with jackhammers so loud you had to scream in your room to talk and be heard. The staff was not nearly as friendly (we don't open until 8:00 AM, come back then, IT WAS 7:55 AM AT THE TIME) And the smell by the elevators was enough to make you loose your meal. The snorkling was not as good as before because the water was continually churned up by the cruise ships.

We will be staying at Playa AZUL North of town next year. They are still privatly owned and still believe in service.

El Cid Far Better than Negative Reviews Indicate

by TripAdvisor Member currtrdr

We stayed at the El Cid in early March. I was concerned, because I had read so many negative reviews on the net about this place. I am happy to report that, not only based on our experience nut also on the many people who were staying there while we were there, these negative reviews were NOT ACCURATE at all. It is true that, if you do not know how to say a polite and firm "NO" to the time share offers, then you may get some pressure. We merely told them when we got there that we were not interested, and that was the end of it. But hey, that is the way it is in every Mexican town I have been to - they always want to sell you something. If you can not handle a little pressure, don't go.

Room was excellent, and quiet. Maid and room service was courteous and prompt. We never made a request that was not promptly addressed. Air conditioners worked really well, plenty of hot water and enough water pressure to knock you out of the shower. Staff was always attentive and we felt very comfortable there.

True - only one restaurant, but it was consistently good food. Stay away from the buffet in the AM, it is too expensive for what you get. Better to go into town and eat at Cafe Denis or one of the other places on the square. Huevos mortulenos is a good bet anywhere. Margaritas at the Hotel are acceptable.

Beach is small, but we never felt crowded. Snorkeling right off the beach is good (but do not substitue this for a trip to Columbia Shallows or Palancar). Many cruise ship staff take their days off here, which added to the number of people using the beach, but they are for the most part outgoing and fun to talk to. Lots of useful cruise info, too, like how to get major discounts on travel stuff.

great time

by TripAdvisor Member imagoodn

We were treated very well. The entire staff was very friendly and helpful. We had the all inclusive, so we got "that special menu", but were very satisfied with every meal. With lunch and dinner your served fresh salsa and chips. I want some right now! On Wednesday nights there is a buffet and breakfast you can have an omlet or eat off of the buffet. We ordered bottled water with our meal and ordered 4 more when we left so we could put it in the refrigerator in our room so we would't get the Doo Doo's. lol. We did the timeshare and got to rent our snorkle gear for two dollars a day per person. If you don't do this, then it will cost you nine dollars per person. We went to Xel Ha. this was a very expensive trip. its $18 per person on the ferry round trip, and thats not included in the trip. With our discount it was still $160.00 for 4 people. There were so many people there the water was cloudy. Our advise is to save your money and stay at the hotel. The snorkling is excellent and there is plenty of marine life there, keep your snorkle overnight and go around 7 p.m. and will see differnt things than you see in the morning. We went into town and rented 2 mopeds from Tommys Mopeds....STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE. THE ONE I DROVE BROKE DOWN ON THE BACK SIDE OF THE ISLAND AND THE NEXT DAY I WENT WITH THEM TO GET IT AND THEY ACCUSED ME OF WRECKING IT. WHEN WE GOT HOME, THEY HAD CHARGED OUR CREDIT CARD $185. WE REFUSED THE CHARGE AND THAT WAS ALL OF THAT. THEY ARE A VERY VERY DISHONEST BUSINESS. OUR ADVISE IS TO GET A CAR. STAY AWAY FROM THE MOPEDS IT IS SOOOO DANGEROUS. When we go back, The La Ceiba is where we will stay again. On sunday nights, take a taxi into town to the square. there is a fiesta with music and dancing, artists, and everyone trying to sell you something from thier store. One caught my wife and showed her an opal necklace, wanting $85. She offered $40 and got it. Next to the hotel is the dock where the ships come in. There is another place to shop. Guess what we bought. Another necklace. they wanted $48, we got it for $20. Lots of fun and will go back as soon as we can. STAY AWAY FROM TOMMYS MOPEDS !!! please feel free to contact us anytime. imagoodn@sbcglobal.net

McDonald's upstairsMcDonald's upstairs

Chicken and Beef  from the Cancun restaurantChicken and Beef from the Cancun restaurant

Bob in his dive skin, and hatBob in his dive skin, and hat

Coffin MakerCoffin Maker