Holiday Village White Sands

Carretera Sur Cozumel Km 16.5, El Cedral, San Francisco Palancar, San Miguel de Cozumel, 77666, MX
Allegro Cozumel
Booking.com Orbitz.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Average

Rated 13% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

More about Holiday Village White Sands

Had a great time here

by TripAdvisor Member lorneh

We stayed at the Allegro Cozumel for 8 nights after being transfered from the Caribbean Village on the mainland after 6 nights. Our group of nine, all adults loved this property. The buffet was good as far as a buffet goes and the al carta restaurants very good. The location is very good as far as its beach and being close to some good reefs for snorkeling and diving. It is a ways from town however, about 20 minutes, compared to the Caribbean village(another story altogether) which was 5 min from Playa del Carmen. Staff was friendly and courteous to us as we were to them. Seeing some rude and obnoxious guests there I am not surpised that some may get the same treatment in return. We did have 1 room out of 5 that did have a minor plumbing problem. We found the staff to be very prompt in correcting and accomodating any concerns that arose. (which were few amongst our group) The rooms were nice, not extravagant, with king size bed. We had a top floor room with a beautiful vaulted thatched roof which we loved as it really gave it a polynesian flavour. Sound does travel easily through adjoining rooms because of this ceiling design but neighbors seemed to be aware of this and was not a problem for us. I would return and recommend this property.

Allegro resort - view from the first floor

I stayed at the Allegro Resort 11/18 thru 11/26 with my wife and we experienced both sun and rain during our stay. We did not experience a single bee, fly or water in the room (though our room was first floor and did not sport a notoriously leaky grass roof). The mosquitos were light by Houston standards. I noticed maybe 5 or 6 skeeters each evening.

Negatives-

The room was musty - running the AC removed most of the musty odor.

Ants will search your room for food and attack it if present. I saw no fire ants (stinging ants) during my stay.

Food was not always available and you had to learn the ropes as it ranged from really bad junk food (avoid the "Macho Nachos") to really good - (check out the fresh omlettes made with ingredients you pick for yourself - really nice.)

The sewage teatment plant did have a localized smell at times which is a bummer.

The tapwater smelled strongly of sulfur at times and was not potable another bummer.

Getting to town is easy but costs $34 US

Positives-

The white sandy beach was outstanding

Snorkeling off the beach puts you a short swim away from a resident eel and a resident barracuda plus lots of smaller colorful fish - pretty cool.

Lots of bottled water available.

There were no glasses in the ocean and plenty at the bar - all clean and I am picky.

The staff was friendly -and even instisted on taking my bagage to my room.

The grounds are unbelievably beautiful and well manicured

The food has a wide range from greasy burgers to good seafood - choose wisely

The jewelry stalls outside were slightly higher priced than in town, but really convienent - especially since a taxi trip to town is $34 US round trip.

There is entertainment on site for kids and adults

Overall the experience was above average. If one wants to complain there are a few things to complain about, other than that you'll need to manufacture something. It is not on par with a four star US hotel, but it is after all Mexico. The bars, resturants and our room were all kept very clean. If you are looking for US four star standards in Mexico, the accommodations at this resort will disappoint you. If you're more relaxed than that, and can overlook minor negatives this place is quite nice and very beatiful - at least from the first floor.

Hint: Fly direct to Cozumel and avoid the Cancun airport.

Been to the Allegro twice. Will go back!

I have stayed at the Allegro Resort twice in the past two years. Each time was a little different, but here's my overall viewpoint. I LOVE this place! The food is mediocre at best, the drinks are great if you ask for special blends, the smothies were fantastic...again, ask for your own assortment of fruit, not the ones they recommend.

We snorkled for four days and had awesome experiences each time. We saw turtles and dozens of varieties of fish. We got to go for free one day because our friend who we met last year owns his own snorkel boat operation. It was fantastic fun!

We enjoyed eating at the restaurants and really just ate breakfast and dinner meals. We were out snorkeling during the noonish hours.

This is one place I can just thoroughly enjoy myself and relax on the beach...no worries. The staff was fantastic. We made friends with a lot of them and will be going back in April this year!!

Americans are waaaaay to complaint-driven. Remember that their standards of cleanliness are different from ours. You are not staying at the Ritz, nor should you expect to. You might have to swat a bug or two. You are in the tropics, for goodness sake. Get used to it and chill out. No one wants to be reminded how rude and insatiable Americans can be. I have traveled the world and have been embarassed many times by our fellow countrymen who have to be loud, obnoxious and pushy.

Remember that these people probably go home to cement block-style houses at night with aching feet and sore backs from carrying our bags, bedding, food, etc. around all day. Be grateful we live in America.

Have fun! I know I will.

Super time at Allegro

I was a bit skeptical after booking the Allegro for this past week (New Year's, 2002), but ended up pleasantly surprised. If you've read the other reviews, I was going to clarify a few points:

a) sanitary conditions - a lot of comments on the glasses being "just dipped in water" to be cleaned. If you actually watched any of the staff, the dirty glasses are first rinsed, then scrubbed in a soapy basin, rinsed again, then tossed in a big bin full of water, with some rinsing solution added. Pretty clean if you ask me. And there were always dozens of glasses available - never running out. Yes, the drinks are probably watered down a bit, but I assume to keep guests from becoming totally plastered by mid-day as everyone starts on the margaritas and bahama mamas at 10 a.m. But, you don't pay for any of them, so drink twice as many if you think they're too watered down. Same end result, right?
b) staff - all of the staff, including cooks, gardeners, cleaning staff, general maintenance works - ALL of them would always say "Hola" and give you a smile. Very friendly - all the bartenders are very talkative and smiling (despite the fact that people rarely give them a tip - I think the "all inclusive" for most people think that includes gratuities - clarification - it DOESN'T).
c) food - yes, the food at the snack bar grill is greasy. It's hambugers, chicken burgers, fries, etc. so I don't know how anyone would expect it to be otherwise. There is always a full lunch being served in the main restaurant, with lots of selection, so I would suggest taking 15 or 20 minutes out of sitting at the pool if you're looking for more variety. Otherwise, I was surprised at the variety and taste of the meals in the main restaurant - most all inclusive's I've been to have very bland food, to appeal to the masses. Allegro's menus were varied (theme nights each night - Italian, Mediterranean, Mexican, etc.) with lots to choose from (salad bar, pasta bar, main buffet, usually a speciality grill, tons of desserts). The 2 a la carte restaurants are also very nice.
d) rooms - didn't hear of any leaky roofs, although it only rained lightly for one day while we were there. No musty smell was detected. There was a sulphur smell 2 evenings from the water purification system nearby, but only in part of the resort, and not too bad at all. The maids always cleaned the rooms very well and a $2 tip would guarantee you extra towels, bottled water, flowers in your room.
e) amenities - there are great tennis courts (4 of them, lit at night as well), an on-site tennis pro and free lessons (or private for $20 US for an hour). He was quite good as well. Ping pong, pool tables, free babysitting (you could dump your kids at 9 a.m. and pick them up at 9 p.m. if you wanted to - and the person taking care of the kids hauled them around the resort all day entertaining them and they looked like they were all having a great time), lots of snorkel gear, basketball court, shuffleboard, hammocks to lounge around in, scuba lessons, beach volleyball, on-site gym with pretty good equipment, 2 pools (one for lounging, the other for more activities and music) which were very clean, and always had pool maintenance people around scooping out any leaves which drifted in.

Overall, we had a very pleasant stay. We paid $1600 CDN each on a last-minute deal, so I thought we got more than we paid for. I would definitely recommend it to people, however, if you're the type of person that is looking for faults, sure, you'll find them. It's your vacation - RELAX and have fun. Cozumel is a beautiful island - rent a car and travel the island to discover some of the beautiful secluded beaches. You'll be glad you did.

Loved this place!

I just returned from the Allegro Resort and I already miss it! The resort was beutiful- Everything was clean and the staff was more than helpful! The food was great for an all inclusive, and I was actually surprised overall at the entire place in general. After reading some of the reviews I got a little nervous, but I didn't need to! This place was great. No leaky roofs- the sewer smell people were complaining about- That is just the smell of low tide!! If you have never lived or spent a lot of time near the water you would not know this, and it really was not that bad! People, Look at where you are! The island itself is beutiful and the resort exceeded my expectations! There is more than enough to do for everyone at the resort and you can even plan day trips right through the hotel(at an extra charge of course). Getting into town by Taxi was a little expensive ($17 dollars 1 way), but not much more thatn taking an NYC cab. If you go definitly rent a car and explore the island- The eastern side has many beutiful beaches and quaint little beach bars and some little stores to stop at- Also go see the Mayan Ruins at San Gervasio- It only cost $2 to see and well worth it. The Resort had a few rental cars they were priced from $65-$75 a day. If you plan on renting a car for more than 1 day it is cheaper in town, but if you only want one for a day it works out to be about the same figuring in the cost to and from town. The Glass Bottom Boat and snorkel tour which you can set up right through the hotel was well worth $40 and included alcohol on the boat. There was plenty to do at the resort that is included in your stay if you do not have the extra cash to spend too! They had Snorkel lessons, Scuba Lessons, Spanish lessons... and lots of other activities. The Pools were nice, but the beach was incredible. Soft white sand and the clearest water I have ever seen! Overall I loved the island and the resort. I would definitly reccomend going there and I am even thinking of goi

Fun in the Carribean Sun

Hola!We, my wife, myself and my 8 year old daughter, just returned from a 7 night stay at the Allegro. We had an extremely wonderful time and sitting here in the grey, rain soaked city of Portland, OR, we can't wait to go back. We will have no hesitations about staying at the Allegro when we finally set our mask, fins and snorkels into the crystal clear, bluegreen waters of Cozumel again.Certainly, if one is looking to have a horrible time in paradise you can find that experience at the Allegro. Yes the food can be a bit monotonous after a week, yes there can be a wafting smell of hydrogen sulfide in certain locations and at certain times, yes the rooms are a bit cozy, yes there are mosquitos and ants and iguanas on the property, yes you can find criticism with the entertainment provided and yes, I suppose there will always be those in heaven who find scuff marks in the gold paved streets and believe they are in hell. I must confess that I am a lucky man because my family went to have a great time and that is the experience that we came away with.The grounds of the Allegro are very well maintained. The staff is very friendly, helpful and accomodating. The maid service was prompt, attentive, unobtrusive and efficient. The activities provided were plentiful; organized games, water sports equipment and the "mini-disco" mixer for the children every evening on the main stage. (As a side note, the entertainment was average from my perspective but my daughter found it absolutely compelling, comedic, dramatic and engaging.)The buffet breakfast and dinners were always good, what they lacked in creativity was made up for in quantity and availablity. The quality was good and it looked to me that there was a choice there for everyone, from vegan to carnivore and if you went hungry or turned up your nose at the offerings, it was because that was your choice too.The "speciality" restuarants were very good. The reservation process, though a bit awkward, was easy to navigate and my advice is to decide what nights you want to treat yourselves to them and then go in and make all of your reservations at one time. Seriously consider the Moonlight Dinner, yes they charge extra but the lobster was superb and the service was wonderful. Caruso's, the Italian restuarant was excellent, plenty of choices and very good quality food and service. La Troje, the Mexican restuarant, was also very good, if you want top self expensive tequila shots or flaming specialty coffees this is the place at the Allegro for such offerings.The Beach...oh the Beach...Playa San Francisco is by far the best beach on the west side of the island. It's the widest and deepest expanse of coral sand beach on the island and if nothing else the Allegro has the best share of it. The snorkeling from the beach is sub par if you only snorkel 100 feet from shore but if you're willing to swim out to the bouys you will see ample sea life in the crystal clear waters. If you're not confident in your swimming go get a life jacket from the Dive Palancar folk (no charge) and swim out there. There were hundreds, if not thousands, of fish living out there and if you get "lucky" you might have a barracuda swim up to you and say hello. Now if you don't want to make the swim but want to see some fish up close and very personal, grab a box of cornflakes at the breakfast buffet and wade out up to your knees and start tossing a few flakes into the water. Be prepared for a close encounter of the silvery kind.If you are planning to do any driving around the island or going into San Miguel or checking out other beach clubs on the island, I recommend renting a car for your entire stay. I wouldn't rent a car from the service provided at the Allegro again...the "gentleman" who runs the service (not an Allegro employee) was less than honest and the quality of the vehicle was less than good. Taxi's are plentiful but they get to be expensive if you want to do any looking around. But you really should get around to the east side of the island, the beaches are beautiful and if you want solitude in paradise that's the place to find it. If you want a great snack on your trip, stop at the Naked Iguana bar at Punta Morena and if you want fantastic seafood have the mixed ceviche.Okay, I'll wrap it up. Yes, you can find fault with the Allegro but as we wandered around the island I found travellers who found fault with every place they were staying. I heard negatives about many places including the Presidente Continental. Like I tell my daughter, the keys to a great vacation are flexibility, patience and the willingness to make lemonade when you get handed lemons. If you go looking to find fault, you will find it but if you go looking to have a great time, a fantastic adventure and fun in the carribean sun, trust me that is just as easy and a lot more rewarding to discover.

Delightful

Nice place and fun to hang out for a week at doing nothing and getting some well deserved sun. No complaints here! Did see some younsters (high school/college) drink til they pucked and staggered off like idiots. Parents have to realize that the drinking age is 18 and they have to make sure they are responsible for their children. Saw alot of couples and nice families enjoying themselves. I am a people watcher so I like to be entertained by others so I was content to be were I was at. For a last minute adventure I would be happy to recommend this nice place. A little outta the area and surrounded by jungle but that was half the fun. Rooms were adequate for sleeping and changing....nothing elegant and everything worked. T.V. is satellite and we were kept a breast of world events (son is in Suadi Arabia). Lots of Canadians, Germans, Russians, and Venesulians. Made political and economic poolside topics very interesting....we are slugs to them all all I say is....."God Bless the USA. Thanks Allegro......Penny Wismen

Comments