Melia Cozumel

Carretera Costera Norte Km. 5.8, (formerly Paradisus ), San Miguel de Cozumel, 77600, Mexico

Melia Cozumel All Inclusive Golf & Beach Resort
BookIt.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• kaybsix's Profile Photo

Do not stay at the Paradisus

All inclusive on North of Island says they have golf course, spa etc, NOT INCLUDED

Unique Quality: Wait staff and cleaning all both excellant. But the front desk is slick and tried to charge us twice for an upgrade. Travel and Car rental area was horrible. Promised one thing and then delivered a much lesser product at same price. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

Beach was dirty, no one swam in a week. It as horrible. They only raked the kelp into piles did not remove it from beach.

Also they said they had snorkleing, but it is at their sister hotel, not theirs. Not clear water

Directions: At this time most northern Hotel

More about Melia Cozumel

Can't wait to take the entire family

This was our first but not our last to the Melia cozumel Resort! Sure the rooms are a little damp...it's terrible humid in cozumel what do you expect? The sevice at the hotel was incredible. Any time we needed anything they were right there to help us. The shows in the evening were excellent. The food was not as bad as I had expected after all the reviews I had read. The ceviche was excellent. Our favorite were two bartenders Julio (the pool) is hilarious and works his tail off and makes great drinks, not watered down AT ALL !!! William at the lounge bar was the same. Last but not least was our trip guy( don't remember his name) We ask him to set us up for diving, snorkeling parasailing and ATV tour and he made sure we were taken care of first class.

Excellent Resort - Water is not blue however

Just completed a 4 day all-inclusive at Melia Cozumel. This resort was excellent. The room was clean and confortable, the service was outstanding. The resort has 3 restaraunts. The main restaraunt "La Isla" is a buffet restaraunt with outstanding food quality, selection and service. A second, more informal restaraunt serves burgers, and similar. A third "exclusive" restaraunt El Pariso(by reservation only) serves a 5-course meal in a wonderful environment. The food at this fancy restaraunt is only so-so - but the atmosphere and service make it worth at least one visit. We attended 3 shows, the Disney Based show and the Mexican Night were both outstanding and family friendly - make these if you can. The "circus" show you could easily miss - and it is not family friendly. The beach has beatiful sand, plenty of lounges and a good bit of shade. It is quite (no blaring music). The only drawback is - that unlike every other resort on the island, the water is not blue/clear until quite a way from the beach. Not sure why this is - seaweed or whatever. The pools are nice and the resort offers just about everything you could want otherwise. If you want to snorkel from your hotel, this is not the place. Otherwise it is outstanding.

Not bad, if you know what to expect . . .

My wife and I stayed at the Melia Cozumel from May 31 - June 7, 2003. We went to the resort expecting a little more than what was offered but it wasn't bad. I won't waste my time rewriting what has already been said since the 7th review here (User from Irvine) has summed most of it up pretty well. I will just touch on a few additional things.Overall, our stay was quite nice. People were friendly, rooms were clean and the hotel was nice although there were a few problems with various aspects of it. We arrived to find the door to our room wide open with the lock completely missing. We notified the front desk and repairmen arrived in about 20 minutes. We were reluctant to leave our luggage in the room with three repairmen so we ended up waiting in the room an hour and a half for them to repair the lock. Oh well, these things sometimes happen. Next item: I concur with everyone who commented on the poor quality of the food. The food in La Isle (the buffet style restaurant) is very poor. It is extremely bland and we found most of it to be inedible. La Iguana (the grill) is an outdoor snack bar. They offer burgers, hotdogs, nachos (processed cheese from the can), jalapeno poppers, and french fries. I was afraid to eat any meat products or condiments as there were many flies swarming around the area. The condiments are left out unrefrigerated in 90 degree plus weather. We stuck with the jalapeno poppers for a snack and were fine however. The "gourmet" restaurant (La Paradiso) was a joke. Although much, much better than the other 2 dining areas, it still leaves a great deal to be desired. The ambience is nice enough with the large central aquarium, low lighting, and live piano. However, the food is still not quite up to par. I think the problem is that they are trying to cater to foreign tourists (mostly americans) so they try to americanize the dishes. I would have been perfectly happy with some high quality Mexican dishes, maybe some nice enchiladas or even a burrito or any dish that did not have processed cheese. My summary of the food: Plan to eat out.A couple final notes about the hotel: Although the water was crystal clear, getting to it from the beach was a nightmare. The rocks from the shore to about 60 feet out were so bad you could not even walk on them. Once you hit 25 feet or so you can get low in the water and dog paddle your way over them. The hotel has a crew that picks up the rocks on the shore but they really need to clear out that first section of the water. Alternatively, you can walk about 10 minutes to the North and find a perfectly clear stretch that is rock-free. Also, our room did not have a refrigerator and that was a major setback combined with the poor quality of the food. We ended up eating out almost every meal and were not able to bring leftovers back to the room. It would have been nice to stock up on some drinks and keep them cold in the fridge. Asking the bartenders for ice (a tiny little bucket at a time) can be a hassle. I would recommend buying an icechest somewhere and stocking it with ice and drinks. Room temperature bottled water doesn't cut it when you are thirsty in the mornings.In summary, despite my negative comments we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We were honeymooners though, so I guess it would have been difficult not to. I would possibly consider staying at the Melia again if I came prepared. We looked at a couple other places in the more central section of the hotel strip and they were very crowded. We prefer a more secluded stay, and the Melia is able to offer that since it is the last hotel on the North side.

Perfect!

Our stay was perfect. We upgraded to a Honeymoon suite. It was actually in the older part of the hotel. We walked straight out our door onto the beach. We had a hot tub on our patio and our room was cold,cold,cold. Most resorts the air just half way works. The beach bar served premium liquors. No off brands. The service was top notch. Very friendly staff. The food was good. Not the best ever. When you prepare for hundreds of people, I think your quality level goes down a little. Believe me we NEVER starved or got "sick". I would reccomend this hotel to couples who want to relax and "honeymoon" all over again. The beach was nice. They kept it groomed. The water is not as clear as Cancun or Playa del Carmen. Good snorkeling and Awesome diving. We will be going back!!

Loved it!

We loved it! The rooms were always spotless, we could not find dirt!! Everyone was so nice and we really felt welcomed. The food was good and they had a variety offered. In the mornings they would make you an omelette and pancakes however you wanted! They have a huge variety of juices. Our favorite server was Alberto. He would try to give us a spanish lesson every day. He always knew our names and was just the best. We also loved Carlos, the swim up bartender. He was also very kind and always knew our names. The maids would make designs with towels and put fresh flowers on our bed everyday. That was nice!! If you would run out of bottled water, they would be there within 5 minutes to give you more. That was our first time there. We are going back in a few months and will stay there again. We don't want to try any other place. We loved it!! Feel free to e-mail me with any questions. Frank & Heather

Nice View

We stayed here from 5/31-6/7/03. The view was great. Drinks were not watered down if you spent your time at the bar with Carlos. The staff was very friendly and service was usually fast. The food was not too great, and now we are sick, but we are not sure of the cause just yet ( maybe Carlos and Charlies in town???, but not alcohol ) They do provide you with bottled water. All the bars close early, and the pools are closed by 8pm which we thought was early. The adult only pool is great, no screaming kids for a family resort. The 9pm shows are nice. We stayed in a honeymoon room, there were some ants in the bathrm but that is no surprise due to being right on the beach ( 1st Floor ). I dont think we will be returning to this resort again, but will be going back to Cozumel soon!!

Great Resort

We stayed at this resort from May 17-May 25 2003. It was absolutely one of the best vacations we have ever taken! The service at this resort is nothing short of outstanding. All the employees were extremely friendly and helpful (by the time we left, it felt like we were saying goodbye to family), the rooms and the grounds were always, always immaculate, and the beach was stunning...white sand, clear, turquoise water. There were lots of activities available to us that we never got to take advantage of because of scuba and ruin tours that we signed up for outside the resort. However, we did go to the nightly shows, which were EXCELLENT! I have been reading other reviews that criticize the bars closing down early..well I wouldn't know because we went into town every night to party at Viva Mexico or Senor Frogs until the wee hours of the morning! The food was decent but too Americanized...we would have preferred more authentic Mexican food which we experienced in town a few nights ( a short $6 cab ride from the resort). All in all, I HIGHLY recommend this resort...We are returning to this resort later this year. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions!

Absolutly Loved It !!!

by TripAdvisor Member Morgy

My wife and I stayed at the Paradisus/Melia for the first two weeks in April 2003. We haved been married for 27 years and have vacationed every year. We have never had such a great time as we did at the Parasdisus. It was even better than our Honeymoon! The people all were so very nice and friendly. Although there were a few things on the nightly menu that I didn't care for, there was always a large variety from the three different resturants on property to choose from to satisfy. If you are hungry it's only because you fell asleep on the beautiful, relaxing beach and you forgot to get up and eat. The drinks were great. Anything you wanted, you got it !!! Might I recommend the CO-CO LOCOS. Made with real coconuts. In short, if you're one of those people that look for the bad in everything you complain all the time, GO TO New York!!! If you are looking to have fun and have the greatest time of your life, go to Cozumel and stay at the Paradisus Melia. We are going back in September... See Ya'll There! Tell Them Senior' Allen Sent You

Paradisus Paradise!

My wife and I were at this resort from 7-20-03 to 7-24-03. With just a few minor problems, we would give this resort an excellent rating. First of all, the staff could not have been more accomadating. All were very friendly and helpful. Our room ,#320 ,was great. We had an exceptional view of the Carribean from our terrace and the front door view of the garden area was very nice. As has been stated the humidity was very high and the tile floors were very slick. Not much can be done about this. No elevators in this building, so going up and down four flights of stairs was burdensome, at times, for us old folks! Due to the high humidity we would advise anyone with severe respiritory problems to take this into consideration.Food and drink were certainly never a problem. We dined three evenings at the Parisio, the formal cafe, and found the food and service to be excellent. It does have a dress code that forbides swimsuits, barefeet, etc. and reservations must be made at the front desk. No shortage of bars, but perhaps bartenders. Each bar had just one bartender' which may have been by design. Waiting for drinks at times took some time. La Isla the main dining facility is set up buffet style. There is however a grill where you can get custom order eggs, ommlets, pork chops etc. The buffet offered a good variety of well prepared foodWe probabaly will not return, but not due to dissatification. Simply because there are so many other places and things to see and do!

Comments