3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

BookIt.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Costs 74% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Park Royal Cozumel

Heads up on the Park Royal Cozumel

My husband and I have just returned from a week at the Park Royal Cozumel and thought I'd share my reactions.

Food -- in the buffet was mediocre/average. The sitdown restaurant food was okay, but the A/C in there seemed spotty. I often felt like I was about to pass out from the heat halfway through my entree.

Beds -- yes, they are very hard, which is not surprising given that there are no box springs. Just a mattress on top of a concrete (yes!) platform, with a sponge rubber egg crate mattress pad on top of that.
Nonetheless, I slept very well most nights.

Drainage in the common areas -- poor. After a rain, the water lies on the patio areas for a long time, because no one thought to build in drains. Seems like a small thing, but it got a little annoying constantly dodging puddles.

Main restaurant -- open air/palapa. This is fairly standard in most Mexican resorts. If you don't like this arrangement, you probably shouldn't be vacationing in Mexico at all. Deal with it.

Activities -- when we were there, it was the sloooooooow season, so there weren't a lot of people participating, but the snorkel tour we were given was good. Don't miss the aircraft wreck!

Facilities maintenance -- We had about 1-1/2 days of rain, which isn't surprising for that time of year. However, what I did find surprising was the leaky roofs on the main building, including the conference areas. These weren't palapas, they were regular construction, so it's obvious they need to invest in some major rehab on the roofs.

Refrigeration -- Don't expect a kitchenette in your room. As an all-inclusive, they don't expect you to so much as make a cup of tea in your room. The resort cannot supply mini fridges either, which people with diabetes need to keep their insulin cold. Therefore, if this is your problem, plan to take your own mini fridge along (the size just big enough to hold a six-pack of pop, cost is less than $50). And be sure to take an adapter along to convert your fridge's polarized plug (one blade wider than another) to a non-polarized type, since most outlets in Mexico are non-polarized.

Gym -- very poor. All the equipment more complex than the free weights was broken. I'm serious -- nothing worked, and it was poor quality stuff to begin with. Don't come here if you're a serious gym rat and will go nuts if you can't get in your workout every day.

That's all that sticks out. I think with some work on the drainage, the roofs, and the gym it would be a much better place, but for now, I've got to give it a C-.

hated Park Royal

by TripAdvisor Member Jan_S

We stayed 4 nights at the Park Royal with our dive group before going to Cancun and staying at the Cancun Omni. We are used to staying at moderate hotels and do not expect gourmet food, but the Park Royal was a terrible experience. The staff was not helpful, language was a big problem, the food was not good (although the Italian restaurant by reservations was decent and the staff there was good), and there was nothing to do and no entertainment. We would never stay there agin.

Park Royal is the Best

Park Royal was great. Yes the beds are hard, but you are drunk by the time you go to bed anyway. THe pool is salt water, but that is not the first hotel pool i have run into in mexico that is salt water. The bartendar in all the bars are great, they make every kind of drinks you can think of and even make their own up. They are always friendly and ready to serve you. The activity staff is great, they play games everyday and will even take you out at night if you want to. They are very friendly. The snorkling is great too. There are many different kinds of fish and other sea creatures to see and touch. You can snorkle out ot the plane with is right off the beach. It is never really crowded, and has great wildlife to look at. THis is our family's sixth time to Park Royal, and you can bet it will not be our last.

PARK ROYAL HELL

by TripAdvisor Member deputydog49

We stayed at the Park Royal for 3 nights and we would not suggest staying here to our worst enemies. We went here on our Honeymoon and it was total hell. Upon arrival we were given a room in the tower, the room looked nice but it had NO A/C. We complained to the front desk and were promised a new room but after waiting 2 hours still did not have it. We had to call Funjet on our cell phone (after the front desk refused to give us an outside line) and complain to them and have Funjet get us a room with A/C. While waiting to get moved to our new room we took a walk on the very small beach area that Park Royal offers and then thought we would cool off in the pool that looks really nice but we discovered it is a SALT WATER pool that is VERY warm. We finally got the bellman to come move us to our new room and the first room he took us to was occupied with a couple well engaged in lovemaking. After 2 more tries he finally found us an unoccupied room. The room was in the older part of the hotel but it was ok and the window unit a/c worked fine. There were ants in the bed though. We complained and were told it was an ecological resort and we had to live with it. The main restaraunt at the hotel SUCKS! It is open air with birds flying through and the food is awful. The only thing we found to eat was at the grill in the morning the omelettes were good. The desserts have no flavor and there is NEVER any ice to have a cold drink with. We tried to make reservations in the other restaraunt but they were always full even though we called at 7 am. The staff at the hotel are useless and the time share people badger you all the time. Do not rent a car from Less Pay rentals as we made this mistake and got Jeep that the floorboard was rusted through and it would not stay in 3rd gear even though we were supposed to get an automatic they stuck us in a standard. We suggest you get out of the resort as much as possible that is the only way we survived this trip. We went on the glass bottom boat and went snorkeling and it was awesome. Even though the boat doesnt look that great the guides were awesome and it was lots of fun! We suggest that you stay at another hotel on the island. We went over to The Reef Club and it seemed much nicer. We will definately go back to Cozumel as we love the island but we will NEVER sit foot on the grounds of Park Royal Hell again! Even if it is a cheap vacation offer Park Royal is a total waste of your money pay a little more and stay someplace better!

Not the Allegro but good for the price

by TripAdvisor Member rjb5760

I have been to Cozumel 5 times this year and will be going back the day
after Thanksgiving. this wil be my 3rd time staying at Park Royal
Hotel. Let me give you a run down of the prices for 3 days. Park Royal
$319.99, Allegro Hotel $689.99. If all you want to do is stay at the
hotel, then stay at the Allegro. I have read so many reviews by people
and the one that really got me was when the person complained and said
"The staff was not helpful or cooperative, most couldn't speak English"

Excuse me but you are in Mexico. Someone complained that the pool water
was salt water and "warm" So I guess I need to state that the weather
there is usually in the 80's and 90's so it will be warm, so bring a
little pocket fan with you. Find a "Party City" and get them for a $1.
Just because It is an AI hotel, don't be a cheap skate. Tip the
bartender, tip the maid. Back to the fans, I always bring 6 or so with
me and I give them to the maid, the bartender, and I get anything I
want. I get as many bottles of water, I get as many towels. I bring my
own 32oz cup with me. It is known in Cozumel as "El Tajes Grande". I
tip the bartender a $1 now and then and when I walk up to the counter,
I get waited on before anyone else.
I go there to dive. I get asked every time I go there about time share. I tell them I live in Dallas and it is cheaper to to get air and hotel, than air alone. You have to remember, these people are trying to make a living. Do you know how much people make there a day??? Last time I was n a cruise I asked the bartender at Fat Tuesday's how much she made working there. She is paid 27 pesos a day plus tips. Do the math, that is close to $3 a day. Dive masters on the boats make about $20 a day plus tips. Have you ever seen how they actually live? Go to the dollar store before you leave and bring stuff down for the staff. If that is going to break you, then stay home.

A trip is what you make it. Respect the people there and they will
treat you with great respect.

"Okie Dokie" is awesome. Tip him a couple bucks and he will remember
what you drink the whole time you are there. The food there is not 5
star, well not even 3 star, but most of us can probably loose a few
pounds anyway. There are lots of different types of fruits there on the
buffet. Plus feed the birds and kittens that come up to the table. Make
an extra plate for them.

There are not a lot of activities at the hotel so go out and see the
town. Go to the main square. Rent some scooters or a car. Smart rental
has 1/2 coupons so you can get a scooter for $15 a day. Remember you
are on an island, so it will be humid and have mosiquitos, so bring
some spray.

One thing you have to remember, A trip is what you make it. You are not
staying at the Ritz, but I would rather spend a little bit of money and
be able to come here 6 times a year, than spend a bundle on only be
able to go 1 or 2 times.

The choice is yours. I like the hotel, I never had any issues with
anything here, and have always been treated good any place I have
stayed. I have never had any A/C problems in any room I have stayed in
any hotel on the island. I go there to dive, drink and have fun
(Platinos).

If you want to be waited on hand and foot, stay home and get a butler.

We loved this place

We stayed at the Park Royal in Cozumel and were completely satisfied.
The people at this resort are so friendly and helpful. Anything that you want they will do their best to give you. The grounds are very pretty with it's tropical foilage everywhere. Anyone who does not like this place is just being too critical. You have to remeber that you are in Mexico and not Las Vegas. The food at the resort is good and very abundant. One thing is for sure...you will never go hungry. A nice bonus is the secluded beach area at the hotel. It is not a huge area, but it is still fun to have a small reef at your hotel. The resort was very clean and it was never too crowded. If you stay here you can rent free snorkel equipment across the street for two hours. That was a nice surprise. Everyone who writes a review about this place says that the beds are too hard, but i disagree. I slept like a baby. The pool is very nice and they will cook you anything within reason at the swim up bar. The drinks that all the bartenders make here are delicous. My fave was the pina coloda. The employees here really work their butts off to keep the place nice for the people staying here, so remember to smile, say hola, and thank them. A few people have complained about having money stolen, but who would go to a foriegn country and not put their money in a safe? They offer that at the hotel. We took advantage of the free safe and never had any problems. Also, another bonus is that this hotel has a gated parking lot so you do not have to worry about anyone taking anything out of your rental car. Bottom line is that we would recomend this hotel resort to everyone. It was a wonderful experience and we will be back next summer.

Loved it

This is a wonderful hotel. People that complain about it are just used to the way it is in the United States. Keep in mind that you are staying in Mexico. There are some things you can complain about, but there are somethings you can complain about anywhere. The service was great and everyone I talked to was willing to help you out. The bartender gave our group a bottle of champane one night. The bartenders will stay open if you are there drinking. The food was good, and they had a big selection. Keep in mind, A TIP GOES A LONG WAY! I would recommend this hotel to anyone. As a matter of fact, I already bought a package for next September.

Should have paid closer attention to the reviews

Use the hotel safe! We were robbed by the hotel cleaning staff while eating breakfast at the hotel. We had our bags packed and went to breakfast and returned to find that someone entered our locked room, went through our bags, and stole our cash. We noticed our money was missing at check out when our friends who stayed in another room went for cab fare and found that their cash was missing. when we checked ours, it too was gone. The staff was less than helpful. They proceeded to search OUR luggage in the lobby of the hotel piece by piece. They even unfolded tee shirts to see if we had money hidden there. Once they finished this humiliation, they searched the room and finally asked the cleaning employee if she took the cash (she said she didn't). They told use they couldn't understand how we misplaced our money (2 couples, 2 seperate rooms). The food consisted mostly of leftovers from the previous meal, beds are hard but acceptable, but we were mostly there for the marine life. Has anyone ever noticed the brown stuff coming from the pipe just offshore on the left side of the beach? While snorkling you can see the stuff on the top 1 foot of the water. I would stay away.

BEWARE!!! Worst experience ever in years of travel to Mexico

My husband and I travel to Mexico usually two times a year. This was by far the worst experience ever. We were with another couple and the morning of our departure, we were robbed of all cash. We really believe it was a setup. There were no other people around on our floor except the maid. We had our bags packed to leave but decided to walk downstairs to the buffet for a quick breakfast. The maid watched us leave. When we went back upstairs, "someone" with a key had gone into both rooms and taken every dollar we had. The staff was so rude and could only say to me "I don't understand how you could lose your money like that". Yea... right.... two separate rooms "lost" all their money at the same time when no one was on our floor except the maid. They had to have been watching us... All I can say is be very careful if you visit this place. We normally always use the safe but with our bags packed and ready to go we thought everything would be OK for a few minutes. They searched through all our bags in the middle of the lobby trying to put the blame on us as if we hid it in our luggage. I have never been so humiliated in all my life. We have tried many hotels both in Cancun and Cozumel and would highly recommend staying as far away from this place as possible.

Cozumel, MX

by mar112

If you like to scuba dive & snorkle this is the place to visit. I stayed in the Park Royal Resort which was only 10 mins from the airport. It was clean & comfortable resort. This shot was taken from outside our hotel. This island is very unique in the fact that one side of the island is resorts, shopping center & where all the scuba & snorkling is done. The other side is the beach section. Luckily for us, right outside our hotel there was the scuba & snorkling section that happened to have a little beach.

Starbucks by the lighthouseStarbucks by the lighthouse

Lighthouse in 1998Lighthouse in 1998