Amansala

Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

More about Amansala

Eco Chic Resort

by ravips29 about Amansala

Picture Gilligan's Island completely taken over and run by Ginger and Mary Anne...then add Beverly Hills 90210 and you have Amansala Beach Resort.

Amansala-great for body and mind

I made a reservation at Amansala while in the midst of some life changing decisions. At bit skeptical I took off by myself for a week at Bikini Boot Camp. It turned out to be just what I needed if not more. Compared to other spas it is quite reasonable and it includes 2 massages. Those were the best massages I have ever received. The food is fantastic and the mix of exercise and relaxation was just perfect. There is an endless supply of bottled water, tea and lemonade and a bar if you are really in the mood for a cocktail at days end. The beach was quiet and beautiful. I will never forget what it felt like to wake up to the sound of the ocean. And lastly, the staff was so polite and accomodating. Everyone at Amansala has the same values of making their guests happy and comfortable. It was perfect and just what I needed.

Best Place in Tulum

While Amansala is a little bit on the expensive side for Tulum, considering what the other options are, it is money well spent. The other hotels within the same price range do not come close to what you get at Amansala. It is not just the rooms, which are all indiviudually designed, but it is the little touches. Candles lit at night, insense, smiling helpful staff, a beach that is white and beautiful, soft sheets, delicious fresh food and a magical feeling to the whole place. Our room was $145 and totally worth it. I would definitely come back.

Wonderful Experience!

I had a wonderful time at Amansala! I went by myself to a Bikini Bootcamp and met some great people. We even exchanged numbers on our last day. In addition, the yoga instructor and trainer were fantastic. I felt great everyday because I was exercising and eating really heathy food and cannot say enough about what an amazing experience I had! I highly recommend going to anyone who is interested in a healthy trip where they will eat well, exercise and enjoy the beach!

I've already made plans to return

by TripAdvisor Member Jen05

I had an amazing experience at Amansala. After rushing around to the very last minute before jumping on the plane, when I finally arrived at Amansala, I couldn't help but take a deep breath, and the weight of city life sort of just fell away. I was able to spend the week focusing on myself in ways that are so difficult to do in my everyday life, but really reaffirmed the importance of doing so. The staff really helped this along--they were ever-present, cheerful, and accommodating, whatever the request. I remember relaxing in the sun one afternoon, when one of the kitchen staff came up with a tray of fresh fruit smoothies and offered me one, right on the beach. One night, when I had a crab in my room, I used the front-desk walkie talkie to radio the staff. One of them got up in the middle of the night and came into my room to get it out for me, and we shared a laugh about it.
Because it's such an intimate, sort of community-like setting, I also got a chance to spend time and bond with other people who were also there to focus on their health, fitness, and overall well-being. We all exchanged info and are still in touch. I just had lunch with one of my fellow travelers the other day, in fact. Several of us plan to meet back up at Amansala next year.
The fitness classes and bike rides were really fun and challenging, and there really was no pressure or competition. The cabana I stayed in was absolutely adorable--so simple and very comfortable, with nothing but a light ocean breeze the sound of the waves to fall asleep to.
This was truly a life-changing experience. I would recommend it to anyone (as long as you don't need a television in order to enjoy yourself that is).

Absolute paradise!

My 6 days in Amansala's Bikini Boot Camp was an absolute dream! I wish I could of stayed longer and I am saving up my vacation days to go back!! The staff were incredibley warm and friendly and have created a family atmosphere. The fitness classes and Yoga were great, the food was amazing, and I even came back a dress size smaller!! I couldn't of asked for a better holiday. The beach is unlike anything I have ever seen...straight out of a postcard or movie. I came back home feeling refreshed and had a whole new outlook and perspective on life. I not only felt physically healthier, but I felt like I gained some mental clarity. It was truly the best gift I have ever given myself and was perfect for a solo traveler!

Wonderful experience. The most amazing beach.

Amansala is situated on by far the best part of the beach. It looks just as gorgeous as on the hotel website's pictures. Rooms are very cosy and beautifully decorated. My boyfriend and I visited other hotels around and didn't find anything nicer than Amansala. The hotel is a bit pricey, but to us its unique ambience and amazing beach were worth it. I.e, Azulik is a lot more expensive but is located on a horrible rocky part of the beach surrounded by huge rocks on each side. So if you want to go for a walk, forget it!

We didn't have any management issues that some people mentioned in their reviews, but mostly because did not charge anything to our room. We payed for our meals and everything else cash right on the spot. When we just arrived, we witnessed several people claiming at check out that they had unauthorized charges on their accounts, so we tried to avoid this problem at our own check out. Also, different bartenders charge you different amount for the same breakfast (there isn't an established menu there with stated prices)and don't bring you the check if you give them your room number, therefore you never know how much they are charging you. So my biggest advice to you - pay cash. It will help you to keep track of your spending.

The hotel zone is a very long walk from the center of town, so if you are planning on going their for dinner some nights, or going sightseeing, I'd highly recommend renting a car. There is free parking at the hotel.

LOVED IT - ONCE IN A LIFETIME MEMORY

by TripAdvisor Member MiamiGirl(Critic)

i have to respond after that last person's email! i have the most amazing time at amansala! i went for 5 days and did not want to leave - realized that the next stop cozumel (all inclusive 5 star) was a horrible choice after staying in paradise. i was there for a wedding and may tell too much, but it was such a beautiful time. my best friend since we were 10 got married at the amansala and when we arrived i was surprised at my surroundings and my vacation home, but it took tops 20 minutes to fall in love. the mother of the bride and the sister (fashion editor for cosmo and very critical (in a quality way) took 45 minutes to fall in love with the place. state this to emphasize all ages and people would love it here. the staff was awesome and so helpful and courteous. i absolutely loved matt, who the last reviewer mentioned. great spirit and tons of fun. the staff was so friendly...we got to know them all and they really loved their place of work. as for our living quarters, it was living "rustic high end". the linens were quality, view amazing, weather perfect and the food was great. i can't even complain about showers...i live on a budget, so i actually got an amazing price for a hut where me and my boyfriend would share a bathroom with another hut and any visitor. totally fine with it and had hot water...and all. the other rooms are definitely worth the totally economical price and view, plus super cool rooms. must mention the guacamole :) everyone's favorite. i found this place to be peaceful and a breath of fresh air. i think the pictures don't even do it justice on the website! i i am sure things are different for a wedding vs a spa vacation, but you have to be kidding that you would expect anything but relaxation at a place that describes as eco chic and explains about the electricity-plus when you make a reservation this is reiterated. i sympathize with the resort about the repercussions of the storm. it was my first thought and inquiry after the hurricanes (plural) that pass through. the dogs! i came back with more pictures of the cute little ones. they were there, but did not bother anyone. we had a name for the cutest one..."not-so-soft". cause he was the sweetest thing, but not so soft from the beach living. glad to hear the local dogs made it through the storms as well. in closing...most spectacular wedding and vacation i could ask for. i would love to relive the entire time. try it! it's unique and worth it! yes, bring books, magazines and if with a group maybe an ipod with speakers to hook up. the bar/dining area let us do that in the evenings and that gave it a good spin, too.

Some management tweaks badly needed

If you like to “vacation” at a beautiful out-of-the-way beach, stay in a chic cabin, eat healthy delicious low-carb meals and enjoy daily yoga and exercise classes then Amansala may be for you. If you participate in all the activities (hence the quotation marks around vacation) you are sure to return home in better shape and a couple of pounds lighter. So far so good!

If you are looking for a spiritual retreat, in conjunction with all of the above, then you’ll only experience as much as you bring and create yourself. For example, participants are encouraged to write in their journals on a daily basis but the time & space set aside for this exercise is not taken seriously. If management was present they’d know to segregate some space where guests could sit in silence and write. But management is nowhere to be found!

The kitchen staff was hard-working and very friendly. They earn every penny they are paid. But…they would consistently run out of coffee, as they’d only brew one or two pots – nowhere enough for the size of the group. It is hard to believe but once they were out they would not brew anymore. They would consistently run out of cereal as well. Where was management???

Lunch was consistently served at least 40 minutes late (around 1:40PM) and dinner served about 1 hour late (around 8PM). Under normal circumstances I don’t think guests would be too upset but given the amount of exercise endured we were hungry. Further, delayed lunches would interfere with the massage schedule starting at 2 PM. This would have a ripple effect and cause guests to wait around for their massages and miss afternoon classes. Not that management would be aware!

The Bikini Boot camp includes two massages. My first massage was one of the best I have ever had albeit I had to wait an extra 40 min. and miss the following Spanish language class. It was still well worth it. The second massage was positively done by someone unlicensed (may have passed a correspondence program!). It was soooo bad that my only thought was for it to be over SOON.

The Bikini Boot Camp is a great concept and Amansala has the potential to pull it off in a big way. However, management needs to be present, have their eyes open and ears to the ground, and willing to make some tweaks.

Exactly what I signed up for!

I just came back from 6 days at Amansala's Bikini Boot Camp with a girlfriend and it was exactly what I needed. The staff was amazing (especially the incredibly warm & hard working kitchen staff - my friend is a vegetarian and they always made sure her dietary restrictions were accomodated). Speaking of which, the food is AMAZING, we looked forward to every meal wondering how the next could be as delicious (and nutritious!) as the last, and the portions are substantial, so don't be at all concerned about going hungry. The activities are very well balanced; this is not a military style program, but since the workouts are so much fun (special shout-out to Samantha and her kick *ss dance classes), you'll want to participate to the fullest. The morning power walks on the beach were the perfect way to start the day; early evening yoga was so therapeutic; the bike excursions were great (and well organized by Matt and Eddie our high-energy leaders) and the spa time was the perfect amount of pampering. The beach cannot be surpassed, nor can the intimate size of the property and the coziness of the rooms. I have never been an early riser but I was up by 6 every morning not wanting to waste a minute of my time at this restorative getaway. I think Melissa and Erica (the owners) very accurately market the property and the program - I was not at all mislead about the amenities and what to expect, and while I was skeptical, the week actually exceeded all of my expectations. If you're looking for a week of fun, non-competitive exercise, healthy eating, great like-minded women (and the occasional man!) and time for self-reflection on a beautiful remote beach away from all the crowds, then look no further. I can't wait to return next year!

Tulum Ruins from the seaTulum Ruins from the sea

Sunrise picSunrise pic

ROLAND & ERINROLAND & ERIN

Templo de las PinturasTemplo de las Pinturas

collectivo vans

by jrybon

Does anyone know if they go all the way to the beach? Or will just drop us off in town? -John

Re: collectivo vans

by tired_boy

It depends on what beach you are wanting to go to as to how close the collectivo will be to it. The collectivo only runs down the highway to Tulum , it does not deviate off it in anyway. However, Akumal beach (where you can see turtles) is only 5 minutes walk from the highway.

Re: collectivo vans

by dmier

I went to Tulum last year....no, the collectivo (shared bus/van) will drop you on the side of the highway. From there take a cab to wherever you are going. They should not charge you more than $5 usd ($50 mexican pesos). enjoy!! I had a wonderful time.

dm