Azulik

Carr. Tulum Ruinas Km. 5.5, Tulum Hotel Zone, Tulum, Yucatan Peninsula, 77780, Mexico

Hotels.com Expedia.com CheapTickets.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 24% less but rated 14% lower than other 4 star hotels

• Gomita's Profile Photo

A Wild Experience

We spend three nighs at Azulik hotel, this is a unique experience because this is an ecological hotel that does not have electricity and sweet water. I would recommend this hotel only for people who don't mind taking a bath in salt water or sleeping without a fan or air conditioning.
    This hotel does not have a pool, but there is no need for it if you have the ocean in front of you!
    It is a romantic place but it does not have privacy during the day, the villas have only a bamboo curtain that allows to see all from inside. The only place where you can have privacy is in the toilet... not even in the bathtub (it does not have shower) because it is in the middle of the villa, just in front of the bed.

Unique Quality: This is a special kind of hotel, it does not have electricity. A room is a villa only few steps away from the incedible blue ocean.

More about Azulik

Azulik is DREAMY

My husband and I stayed 2 nights at Cabanas Copal (next door) and 3 nights at Azulik during the last few days of Nov, first few of Dec. Copal was lovely and exceeded expectations but Azulik was absolutely dreamy. Who needs electricity when there are candles everywhere, lining the walkways, on the deck, in the spacious,gorgeous rooms. If you are planning to do alot of sight seeing, perhaps you may feel Azulik's prices may be a bit high, but if you are planning to relax and take full advantage of what Azulik has to offer (personal, tiled deck pool, hollowed out indoor tub, wonderful spa treatments right in your room or on your deck, free yoga,and the most gorgeous view in the world from your bed) it is totally worth every penny. We so enjoyed visiting the different beaches around the area and then coming home in the afternoon to margaritas and ceviche on our deck looking out over the sea. We spent alot of time in and around our cabana just enjoying it all. It was gorgeous. The service was excellent. We never had to wait long for room service, and the staff is extremely professional and polite.
We saw alot of other places down the beach that lacked the privacy, the unique beauty and incredible experience that Azulik offered. It is a very special place and we felt so very lucky to have stayed there.

Rustic luxury but way overpriced

We recently spent 3 nights at the Azulik in November 04. We have travelled and stayed in rustic luxury in many parts of the world. The ideas and imagination displayed in the Azulik cottages are delightful, and the views are spectacular from each room. However the objective guest will conclude that the resort oversells their concept, and it is way overpriced for what you get. The beach is poor at best, with very limited beach access. Any resort that demands full payment in advance with no refunds available has got something to hide. For my money I would recomend Las Ranitas just down the road. They have the most spectacular location anywhere on the Mayan Riviera.

quiet, private & beautiful

by TripAdvisor Member cochise

Azulik is an experience not to be missed!

We stayed there the first week in January. The room, deck, view & especially hot tub were wonderful! Clothing optional was not strange and we appreciated the choice.

I loved that there was only candlelight after dark, however the neighboring cabana guests did use flashlights... which shined into our cabana (often after we had gone to bed) - perhaps Azulik could request that all guests use better discretion with head lights and flashlights.

The staff was friendly, top-notch and very helpful. The walk to Copal for meals was convenient and pretty good. Room service was a nice bonus, but beware that champagne is way overpriced in all of Tulum!

Heaven On Earth

My boyfriend and I stayed at Azulik for the first two weeks of November this year, in cabana 8. The photos on the site do not really do Azulik justice. It really is the most heavenly place to stay: luxurious, yet traditionally mexican. The staff were as helpful as any we have dealt with in the past, along with all the other Mexican's we met - the friendliest people. We had our room serviced every day and the room was made up with clean sheets.
We ate out each night in the most wonderfully romantic restaurants on the sea front and also in nearby Tulum.
Our own private hot and cold water tub built into the rocks was a great late night setting for a Marguerita (from room service) whilst watching the shooting stars.
Make sure you don't miss the v. impressive ruins at Chichenitza and in Tulum.
I had three treatments during our stay: reflexology, reiki and a healing massage from a bonefide shamen! A great experience outside on your decking above the sea.
I would advise you to take some heavy duty mosquito repellent as we were bitten very badly - my only complaint.
Would recommend Azulik to anyone, especially as we checked out all the others along the coast and none could compete.

Serene Paradise

by TripAdvisor Member bambam01

We just got back from visiting Azulik this last Saturday. January 22nd. This was quite an adventure for us. My husband & I have been married 30 years and we wanted to go somewhere that would be just like paradise. Well, we found it at Azulik! So many times when you view pictures advertising a hotel -- it just isn't quite the same when you actually see it. Azulik is all that it is advertised to be! The cabanas are just as the picture on the web site shows it. Right down to the shiny wood floor. The view is breath taking and the sounds of the ocean are wonderful to go to sleep by and wake up to the sunrise and the endless waves that continue to roll.

Food was good at both Copal and Zahra--we enjoyed the staff at both resturants. They were very helpful for two people that speaks very little Spanish. Victoria (the receptionist at Azulik) went out of her way to accommodate our request to switch cabanas in the middle of the week. This was by our request because when we booked the cabana - we started out in a seaview (#4) and then we moved to a beach cabana (#14). Even though the beach cabana was VERY NICE we really wanted the seaview. Victoria worked it around and told us that we could move to #11 and then to #3 -- We didn't have a problem at all in moving. I will guarantee that four cabanas out of 15 were just GREAT! Each was different in very small ways but all were just as clean and well kept as advertised!

I would recommend going to see the ruins--they were larger than I expected and quite interesting. I wanted to swim with the dolphins and after talking to the staff at Azulik (namely Victoria) she took the time to get me information on the different areas and prices and times that the parks opened. She even helped me by booking the swim on-line and saving me some money. (The more to go shopping with.) Thank you Victoria!

Since this is a clothing optional area -- I feel that this is something that anyone going there should be aware of. This being our first time visiting an clothing optional area... we were comfortable in the atmostphere.

My husband and I both had the Mayan healing massage with Daniel -- that was great...but do it when you don't plan to do anything afterwards. It was so relaxing. I also had the Mayan clay massage -- what an experience!

Thank you for the wonderful memories of our 30th anniversary! We are already talking about booking another trip to PARADISE!

If you want to send an e-mail please just put in the subject line Serene Paradise-Azulik.

Great location, great tub, great view...but...

by TripAdvisor Member NYBeachie

If a cabana at Azulik cost $170 a night instead of $220, I'd probably give it four stars instead of 3. For what you're getting, it's a bit overpriced. We went in the off season - August - and even with a constant wind the nights were very hot.

THE GOOD STUFF: The setting is amazing, with unmatched views of the sea and sky, by far the best in Tulum. You almost feel as if you're floating above the ground. The tub on the deck is heavenly, and the room itself feels airy, spacious and serene...very 'Wallpaper'. The beach is accessed via a lovely, Swiss Family Robinson-style wooden walkway that winds through the trees. The staff was quite friendly, if not totally on the ball (we were repeatedly delivered ice-cold beer...without a bottle opener). Our room was spotless.

THE NOT-SO-GOOD STUFF: The hotel's beach has no shade -- no palapas, no umbrellas, nothing. A couple of uncomfortable wooden beach chairs were all that Azulik supplies in the way of beach amenities. For a paleface like me, that's a big drawback. Other hotels in a similar price range have palapas and beach service. Second, the cabanas are very close together. Your neighbor's deck is no more than 15 feet away from yours, with no obstructions between them, which is a tad too close (particularly if your neighbors are rather plump nudists, as ours were!). Last, the room service system (you set a little flag by your door, and a little while later someone appears to take your order), while charmingly low-key, is slow at times. Azulik has no bar/restaurant, so if you want a cold one or a snack you either wait for room service or walk over to Cabanas Copal - admittedly not a long trek, but you're on vacation after all.

LONG STORY SHORT: A previous review mentioned 'high-end camping', and that's about right. Granted, we had some magical moments -- watching an incredible light show of heat lightening that went on for hours, falling asleep to the sound of the surf -- but I can't get over the nagging feeling that Azulik is somewhat overpriced. The design is superb, the view is unmatched, the website is slick, but you should get more for the money.

Paradise

The title says it all.
My wife and I had the best time of our life! The drive is a bit long from Cancun, but all the negatives about driving in Mexico on the Internet is way overboard. Mexican drivers and the roads (highway) were great.
The left blinker when parked took us aback, but got used to it in no time!
As for Azulik. It is all that you read and way more. We went Jan. 7 through the 12th, just getting back last night. It was very hard to leave.
The staff were unbelievable. They could not do enough for you.
We were in cabana 7, which as we tried to compare must have been the best. It sticks out to the ocean the most, it seemed to have a nicer front porch (although they say they are all the same).
Being from the northeast, we loved Florida, but now have been undeniably spoiled. How could anything compare? It can't. Not by a longshot!
If you want a romantic setting (everything is beautiful), great food (I never thought that I would like Mexican food, it was great, never gave it a fair chance before), great people (the staff, not the tourist who barely say hello), a gentle and relaxed atmosphere (there were some kids, but I think they were from the neighboring resorts, we left ours home), then I dare anyone to come up with a better place.
If you want to go in a pool, go golfing, sit in AC, and many other amenities, then you should go north. There is plenty of that in the other major cities. But if you want absolute paradise, go to Tulum and especially Azulik!
P.S. I do not know how the bugs are the rest of the year, but absolutely no bugs in or out of the cabana (I expected to be covered, but must have been the absolute best time of year!)
We are saving our pennies as of now!
To the people that are going, we are envious!

Incredible!

I stayed in one of the higher cabanas right off the beach (14 or 15) last May 2004 and it was great! The staff, atmosphere, food etc.. were wonderful!

The only thing you have to get used to is remembering where you put your things before the sun goes down as there is nothing but candle light after sunset and with the ocean breeze, the candle kept going out. Makes for getting ready for dinner or an evening out a little difficult, so I recommend bringing a portable lantern for those nights where you want an idea of how you may have combed your hair or if you put on clothes that match! Not a problem if you just want to hang in or stroll into the little village for a bite to eat (also bring a flashlight and mosquito spray) or just sit on the deck and enjoy the stars and the ocean breeze. Great place! Very nice place and will definately keep going back!

PS: Also bring your reservation receipt if you book via the internet. I experienced that the reservations are handled by someone in Canada and the front desk did not have 2 bottles of wine (an option at booking)that we ordered and they needed a day or two to confirm with reservations. Minor problem that can be resolved if you don't misplace your reservation receipt like I did.

Cabanas Copal

by whitneyone

"more than just the cabanas"

Well there's one way to learn where you are staying is clothing optional. Just go to the beach. I knew that Azulik next door was clothing optional (and amazing too) but didn't know so much about Copal.
Naked and half naked people dotting the sand, people getting up their courage day after day, or just doffing it all on day one. What a great place to get naked, or not.

Tulum Town

by rozul18

I've read some comments about cancun but nothing about Tulum Town.

Is Tulum Town really bad damaged?

If it is, How long do you think is going to take to be reconstructed?

Thank you.

by wilocrek

I heard the Tulum Ruins held up well but about a third of the hotels and cabanas were damaged. I have a reservation at one of the cabanas in Sept. and I emailed the company that handled my request. They said they will be going there in about a week to check the damage and see what cabanas and hotels will be up and running. I will let you know what they report to me.

by rozul18

Thank you very much for the info, I hope everything is okay in Tulum.

Thanks again.

by matkirk

I live in Cancun and went to Tulum ruins last week with the family. It was a bit messy (a bit of trash around) but other than that all was fine. And the town is open for business. All in all in very good shape. We went and used the beach at Azulik cabanas and it was still there!!!

Comments