Cabanas Copal

Tags

Budget Travel Beaches Diving and Snorkeling
See Amenities

A shack!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 13, 2010

Copana Copal is called hotel and spa, and the information they deliver online tempted us to book 6 nights this summer. Now we understand their policy of prepaying without any possibility of getting the money back if not satisfied. The place is absolutely terrible!!! We got a tiny sea view cabana with plastic windows and leaking toilette. It was dirty and unpleasant. DO NOT GO THERE, it is not worth the prize, and you may get better value for your money lots of other places in Tulum.

Unique Quality: The sea view cabanas are absolutely fantastic situated. The beach is great. But there are many places in Tulum with a beach like this.

Rustica - But what do you need?

by written on April 17, 2007

The service was amazing. The maid was more than efficient and cleaned too much if you ask me. I've never seen someone work so hard (assuredly for very little). Our tips were appreciated and fresh towels molded into hearts were left on our beds every day.

No there is not fresh water. But it is little missed. There is a large water tank of drinking water in the room and sure, some lizards in and out. We saw maybe one or two roaches in the bathroom - dead both times. Otherwise, it was serenly lovely.

the indoor and outdoor bar and restaurant staff, as well as hotel staff were awesome. My only complaint would be that I found the massage costs to be very US relative... you have a shower and bathroom and bed on the ocean. perfecto. It would have been better to have less glass and more screening, but I'm assuming there is some good reason for this...

Unique Quality: the beach is only a hundred yards or so from your cabanas, the waitstaff (yeah carlos!) will serve you on the beach or at the bar and the ocean is gorgeous. Walk to town and you have some of the freshest fish I've ever eaten as well as live music most nights.

paradise - and at a very very moderate price.

After this I would NEVER go to Cancun central.

Directions: The small town nearby has a little store where you can get cold sodas/beer, cigarettes, lotion or whatever - as well as restaurants..all with great fresh food.

Relaxing and Romantic

by written on April 14, 2006

We stayed in the Casita Cabana in December of 2004. It was wonderful. We were especially attracted to the idea of no electricity at Copal and it was very quaint and romantic. The sea at night in the moonlight with no electricity was awe inspiring. If you are concerned about heat in your cabana definitely try to get a sea view. The Casita is directly on the water and the breeze did wonders to keep us cool at night. Cabanas Copal is located in a nice spot for walking the beach. One of our favorite activities while there was just walking up or down the beach at night and hitting a restaurant and a few watering holes.

The only issue we ran into, which wasn't horrible since we had prepared ourselves for an even more rustic experience than what it turned out to be, was with the shower. It would often times run only cold and sometimes would not run at all. Usually if we waited a short while it would be fine (I think it depended on who else was utilizing the supply at the time). Also, the water is salt so I would recommend finding a cenote to dive into at least once while you're there if you stay for more than a few days.

Overall our experience was great and I'd recommend Copal to anyone ready to shake off some modern conveniences in exchange for an ultimate experience in relaxation. We are going back to Tulum in December of this year and plan to stay here again.

bdwoot's Profile Photo

Loved By Many But Not The Best Value

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 24, 2006

No electricity. This is not a disaster, but it sure forces some thinking your way through daily activities you take for granted. What do you do at night? We caught up on our reading or played cribbage. Others find more carnal activities. Whatever gets you through the night, eh?

We had one of the better cabanas. It faced on the beach, so air moved at night keeping things cool. It was the briefest of walks to encounter one of the prettiest places on the planet. The constant wave noise made sleeping a delight. The king bed in our cabana was perfect, firm but not like a cot.

On the down side, privacy just ain't there. If it is dark out and a light is on inside, anyone walking by doesn't have to guess whether you are playing cribbage or not. We put our beach towels up in the front window to give at least the illusion of privacy. Secondly, sand becomes part of life. (Why don't they give you a broom to keep the sand outside?) Thirdly, the brackish water means that soap does nothing. My Edge gel didn't foam at all, so I shaved with essentially soapy suds. FInally, lack of insulation from sound had its minuses. One night, a coversation fueled by youth and beer did keep us up for quite a while.

Unique Quality: Ah, the beach. Nothing like it in my experience. Just enough wave action on a windy day, warm as a bath on quieter day.

Ah, the skin. I spend my day looking at diseased, wrinkled, old, smelly skin. (I'm a doc.) It is so nice to see youthful, smooth, healthy skin, and a fair amount of it. (Totally nudity is pretty common among the men, rare among the women. Most of them are topless.)

Few Americans. I met Brits, Frenchies, Swiss, Swedes, Mexicans, Danes, even an Aussie. Precious few Yanks.

Directions: Head south from Cancun on Mex. 307, around 90 minutes. Turn left at the signal (the only one in town) BEFORE you get to town, go 4 clicks to the east. Head south on the beach road around 0.5 kms and look on the left.

graz-ie's Profile Photo

Cabañas Copal - Tulum

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 8, 2005

After all the hotels that was a great week in Tulum staying in a Cabaña without electricity and within the pur nature. A big bed, a very nice bath, a place to put your clothes and friends which visit you at night if you don´t pack your eating stuff away :)
The Beach was beautiful and just being there forgetting everything around me was great.

Reetercat's Profile Photo

Detatch yourself from the City!

by written on July 18, 2005

For about 50 bucks, (in October), we scored a three bed Cabana (#1) right in the sand. No curtains, just sea breezes and mosquito nets. I think that the shower also sprays salt water ... I'm sure the toilet comes filled with it too!

Every morning, I would lift my head from the top bunk, just to watch the sunrise over the water. Every evening, I would lay in the hammock out front and watch the full moon send her witchy beams in my direction.

Take cash with you! ATMs and the like are hard to come by in the secluded area.

Unique Quality: Top notch beach Cabana! There's a restaurant with a TV, (if you feel the need to catch a baseball game, or whatever) and the food was pretty darn tastey too.

There's a little wading pool to hang out in ...

AND -Keep in mind that there's no electricty in the Cabanas and the walkways are little by lil' torches.

noah_pedrini's Profile Photo

Paradise

by written on May 10, 2005

There is nothing not to like about Cabanas Copal, unless of course you are looking for a non-rustic polished resort or mind seeing naked folks on the beach. We stayed from May 2-8 and at $180 USD it was a great deal. There are several levels of cabanas, but even ours, the cheapest, had a puriified water dispenser and mosquito net/canopy on the twin-sized bed. The restaurant is pricier than places in town, but it has a great jungle ambience and nice staff. Several mornings we just got 'dos cafes con leche para llevar' for $24 pesos (2.25 us) and had an early lunch. Even if the palm tree directly outside your cabana doesn't mysteriously have you and your partner's initials carved on it, you'll feel cosmic at this secluded paradise.

Unique Quality: The view of the turquoise waters from any of the 20+ cabanas here is picture-perfect, and you wake up feeling like you're in a postacard or snowglobe. There are about 5 outdoor hanging beds circulated about the site, an internet cafe, a small sea-side pool and bar, and numerous wholistic activities available at their Mayan Spa (free yoga at 7am, sweatlodge, etc). It is about 2 miles to downtown Tulum, a distance that you'll likely not want to walk but that is certainly bikeable. Staff is very friendly and accomodating.

whitneyone's Profile Photo

small but you can use it well

by written on February 6, 2005

This is the view from just outside our door in Cabana number 12. We only wish we could have been a few cabanas higher. Our oceanview king seemed to be the only one without any sort of seating outside of it. Others had tiny patios with chairs. We just pulled ours outside

Unique Quality: It's so rustic, you just have to go with it. it's worth it.

whitneyone's Profile Photo

the hanging beds at copal

by written on February 6, 2005

some of the cool things at Cabanas copal include a whole menu of spa services, many performed in a cabana seaside. Others, like the dry flotation tank are on the property connecting Copal to Azulik, which is more upscale, with the prices to prove it. Huge cabanas there...just wonderful. BTW at 20 bucks for an hour, that flotation tank is awesome.

Unique Quality: Othe cool things include the array of seating outside at copal, like these hanging beds.
we were so tired our first night in that we lay down to listen to the sea, and fell asleep for two hours. Heaven!!

The Cabanas

by written on February 6, 2005

It's amazing what some people can do by candlelight. At dinner, the women had nice hair and makeup. With no blow dryers or make up mirrors I have no idea how they did it.
Me? I was a mess, and didn't care! LOL.

Nature? You're In it!

by written on February 6, 2005

We really needed to relax, and found that in Tulum, you go the opposite of zero to 60. You go from 60 to Zero in no time flat. It was awesome.
WARNING: After reading a review of the NON OCEAN FRONT CABANAS I SHOULD STRESS THAT YOU SHOULD GO OCEAN FRONT. The bathrooms seem a bit bigger (ours was quite adequate). I have heard other stories of the jungle huts.
I also want to add that in January and Feb it cooled off enough at night to get a good nights sleep. I have no idea how it is in the summer. Remember there is no electricty, thus no a/c or even ceiling fans.
The Cabanas are totally basic and RUSTIC. You get a bed with mosquito netting, and private bathroom with a great shower. If you come in at night, it might take you a bit to get situated, as the only electricty is at the restaurant and reception and the rest of the grounds are strickly run by candle light (although flashlights are allowed). Yum. When you wake up, the beach will take your breath away!!

Unique Quality: The beach and the snack bar on the beach are just amazing. The water and sand, pristine. This was just amazing. But you have to be prepared to let EVERYTHING go.

Directions: Just a couple of miles off 307.

Nearby Cabanas Copal

• Swimming Pool
  • Free Parking
  • Free High Speed Internet

Tulum Travel Forum

Need advice about Tulum, Mexico? Visit the Travel Forum for Tulum and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Tulum hotel reviews