Cabanas la Conchita

5 Km, Carretera Tulum-Boca Paila, Tulum, Yucatan Peninsula, 77780, Mexico

More about Cabanas la Conchita

A hidden treasure!

My husband and I spent two nights at La Conchita the first of March. We had actually booked three nights at Tita Tulum, but we ended up leaving after the first night and moving to La Conchita. We're we ever pleased. I wish we could have spent all three nights there. We were in hacienda #8 and even though it was the farthest room from the beach, it was gorgeous! We were fortunate to have a ceiling fan that we could run from 10 pm - 7 am. Electricity is provided via generator from 6 - 10 pm, but there are no electrical outlets in the room. The rooms have several candles (and matches), which make for very romantic evenings! I would recommend a small flashlight, though, for your evening walk back from the restaurants (Zamas was are favorite) or your late night bathroom trip.
As everyone else has mentioned, the breakfasts at La Conchita are truly delicious. My husband was not a yogurt fan until he had the fresh vanilla yogurt with homemade granola on top! He loved it.
The beach is spectacular and the swimming is very good. We will definitely return to La Conchita next year and reserve cabana #1. For the price ($115 USD per night includes tax & breakfast) it is truly a bargain!

Worst stretch of beach in Tulum!

by TripAdvisor Member GlobeTrotter2000

I was wooed by the wonderful reviews given to this hotel. My husband and I tried to book a room for our recent trip, but there was no availability -- and I can't tell you how grateful we were! We stopped by to visit and yes, the grounds and suites are lovely but the hotel is located on the worst stretch of beach in Tulum. It's on a very small cove, so beach walks aren't possible and it's very rocky and filled with seaweed not to mention the sand is unusally rough. There are plenty of other hotels in the area that are just as nice with better beaches.

We loved the beach at Cabanas La Conchita

by TripAdvisor Member wyoE

We stayed at Cabanas La Conchita the middle of October 2004 and loved it. Contrary to another review stating the beach was rough and small and filled with seaweed..we found it small, quiet, private and beautiful and not rough at all. You can wade a bit in the water around a rock face and then you will come upon a long stretch of beach with clear, beautiful water. You will come to a small sign that lets you know that section of the beach is "clothing optional"..so if nudity (other than your own) makes you uncomfortable...keep your eyes focused on the beautiful water. The cabanas are great, we stayed in #7 and the breakfasts are fresh and prepared as you request.. I heard there was a plan for a bar and restaurant, which i feel may take away from the tranquil atmosphere of Cabanas La Conchita, but we plan on returning this fall. All of the staff were friendly, and helpful. Our favorite place to eat was Zamas, just down the road. On our return this year we plan on venturing further down the road to the nature preserve, and possible bone fishing. There wasn't a moment that we did not feel welcome, or secure. The town isn't far away and there are great little shops to visit and purchase a variety of items, along with a grocery store. We went to the ruins and it was busy and crowded... Go early before the crowds and heat!! You are constantly being asked by shop owners to come in and buy something, unlike in town. We certainly were spoiled with the quiet, private atmosphere at Cabanas La Conchita...it is a perfect place to unwind from the daily stresses of work, family, or life in general. Take a few books, stop at the store in Playa and buy a few staples: tequila, limes etc and enjoy yourself..there is no way you CAN'T!!!

Exactly what you hope it is

by TripAdvisor Member laughingsquirrel

We absolutely loved Cabanas la Conchita. It really is what you are hoping it will turn out to be: beautiful, quiet beach--all to yourself; private and charming mayan-chic rooms; really friendly but not pushy staff; and a great breakfast! We really enjoyed staying here and we walked around to other hotels, this was by far the best. Our cabana was immaculate every day and the candlelight at night was the best. We were so glad that we chose this route instead of the big all-inclusives.

Fresh air at Cabanas la Conchita

This place is beautiful. We stayed in Cabana #6, which overlooked the cozy, charming courtyard in the foreground, and the perfectly groomed beach and turquoise carribean waters in the background. Our cabana had a palapa roof, which we loved at night because the ocean breeze would blow and it sounded like rain. Our cabana was tastefully decorated - there was a mosaic tile table with legs from an antique sewing machine. The other cabanas looked like they had unique qualities, and we'd have happily stayed in any of them.

The complaint I read about the beach being bad is not true, in my opinion. It is bordered by rocks, but there is enough of an expanse for a nice walk. I found that the bordering rocks offer privacy and exclusivity, and prevent a lot of traffic on the beach. La Conchita has plenty of beach chairs for their guests and shade is provided by palm trees.

Each morning at the breakfast area (right on the beach), we were greeted by delicious, dark coffee, fresh fruit, granola and yogurt. Then you could order a meal from a list of specials. The staff was friendly, laid back and perfectly in sync. If asked, they were more than willing to answer any questions. Otherwise, they were happy to let you do your own thing. Total class. Cabanas la Conchita is truly special.

p.s. for those with a car: they have a few parking spots

Simple pleasures

These bungalows offered a romantic New Years for my husband and I.
We cannot wait to stay there again.

You will find a private beautiful beach. We climbed over rocks for beach walks.

Best Value

by TripAdvisor Member JulianaPhiladelphia

We were there in Summer 2004 with another family. I traveled a lot and have been many AL resort. The design of this property keeps the nature look. It is very clean. Staff was very friendly whether or not you tip them. The nightly show was good quality. The food was great. Everyone on the property was relaxed. You don't need to get up early to reserve a pool-side loung chair - they are plenty. Outside hotel is the bus stop. We took mini-bus to the attaction, like Tulum and Xel-ha: we saved few hundred dollars by going on our own than joining the tour. There plenty activities for kids (we had kids age from 8 -11). It is not a luxury type of resorts, but it is absolutely worth more than you spend. I highly recommend it to everyone.

Picturesque Seclusion in Tulum

I just got back from a stay at Cabanas la Conchita in Tulum. We absolutely loved it! When we booked our room we weren't sure if we would like the place, as there is only electricity from 6pm to 10pm, but no outlets; ceiling fans only from 10pm to 7am. We thought it might be a little too rustic for us. However, we were amazed. We didn't even need electricity. [I would recommend a flashlight though...just in case you need it at night.] The rooms were well-decorated and very comfortable. The ambiance was wonderful...hammock on the porch...candelight at night....and the sound of the ocean. We enjoyed the seclusion of the beach. There was plenty of room for everyone and the beach was nice...although a little rocky. [Just keep your eyes on the ground when you are wading in the water.]

The breakfast was wonderful and there are plenty of good restaurants nearby. We really enjoyed Tulum, and it was free of the hussle and bussle of Cancun and Playa del Carmen. Plenty of people spoke English, so it was easy for us to get around. Very relaxing.

The staff was also very friendly and helpful. Always offering to assist us with recommendations for locations of interest and restaurants.

Just perfect for us!

by TripAdvisor Member kathismom

We (mom and two teens) stayed at Cabanas de Conchita from June 6 - the 12th and had a wonderful stay. We were in #2 which is the two bedroom (upstairs/downstairs) cabana. The breakfasts were excellent - tried two new fruits, the staff was wonderful (polite and helpful), the location was great - about a 10 minute max walk to Zamas, a mini-market across the street for chips/cookies/cold beer and munchies. Lots of hermit crabs to watch while sitting outside in hammock or chairs, nice (no stones at all) sandy beach - sea kayak and boogie boards to use. Palm trees and beautiful landscaping. Room fan went on between 9:30 and 10 p.m. and was great for sleeping. My son slept upstairs and stayed mosquito free under his netting. We did take battery operated fans which we used at night before the fan came on. Wonderful "house" geckos.

Pros and Cons in Paradise

by TripAdvisor Member nikita75

I will start with the beaches in Tulum...The beach at our cabanas(Cabanas La Conchita) was absolutely amazing. Being from New Jersey, I am quite used to harsh sand, dark water, and choppy waves...so used to it that the Jersey Shore is just fine for me. But then I stepped onto the beach in Tulum. WOW! The sand is so soft that my feet seemed to melt into it with each step. The water was like bathwater, not too cold, not too hot, and crystal clear. My favorite part of our 11 day vacation was lounging under a palm tree on the beach, watching the hermit crabs scoot across my towel and feeling the breeze through my hair.
The weather in Tulum in July can be iffy. We had gorgeous weather every single day. Rain storms would last literally minutes and then it was back to gorgeous sun. I must say that the nights felt much warmer than the days and sleeping was troublesome. We slept with our cabana door open and all the windows wide open and it was still too hot for me to get a good night's rest. Sleeping under the mosquito netting locks in your body's heat, so that made it worse. 3 of the nights I had to sleep under the netting b/c the mosquitos were out of control, but the other nights I was comfortable without the net b/c the mosquitos had literally disappeared. If there is a breeze or steady wind, you are fine, but as soon as the wind stops, the mosquitos are feasting on you. Don't bother with the natural insect repellent that they sell everywhere in Tulum. I bought it, it smells pretty, and the mosquitos still bit me. The only thing that worked was Cutter Deep Woods Off with Deet(we bought that in the states before going to Mexico, I didn't see it in Mexico), but even that needed to be applied and reapplied, and I still got bitten, just not as much.
I would recommend Cabanas La Conchita as a place to stay. The owner is knowledgable and accomodating, the staff is great, and the breakfasts are tasty and made to order. We stayed on the 2nd floor and there was no ceiling fan and some nights the ocean breeze was not enough, but I don't know how it would be with a fan(fans are in the lower level palapas) or at a different time of year. The palapas are beautiful and very clean. We stayed in 2 different cabanas(or palapas) and both were beautiful. The owner got new king sized mattresses delivered while we were there and at least 3 of the cabanas now have new king sized mattresses. Before that we had a queen mattress, which was still fine too.
Jorge woke us up one night to watch a turtle lay her eggs and slide back to the water. That was amazing. The turtle had to be several hundred pounds. There were several turtle "pits" along the beach where turtles had laid their eggs during the night.
The food was great at Zamas(get the Gambas pil pil, it's shrimp, bread, and an awesome dipping sauce). They have a 4 cheese pizza that is like nothing I have ever tried in the states, it was great. Maya Tulum also had great seafood and vegetarian food. Piedra Escondita had great nutella crepes for dessert. Pasada Margherita was good but pricey and you have to wait a while for your food and the lobster and shrimp dishes come in their shells, which makes it difficult to eat under candlelight, but it was good food. Their was a place in town called Paris de Noche that had good food and great dessert crepes as well.
You have to go to the Tulum ruins. Go early and spend time at the beach there, it was awesome. Coba was cool too, really high pyramid to climb, go early to avoid crowds. Xcaret was fun and there was alot to do and see there. Playa del Carmen was all shopping, touristy, but fun. There is a great place to get lunch there called 100% Natural. Good food, and cheap.
Tulum is an amazing place that I highly recommend. If you go to Coba, stop at the "stores" on the sides of the road. We stopped at one on the left on our way to Coba and we bought a wool blanket from a mother and her 3 kids. They had these racoon like pets called coati mundis that were awesome to see and hold. It was just an amazing place.

Comments