Don Diego de la Selva

Calle Tulum, a 1 km de la estacion de autobuses ADO, rumbo a Chetumal, Tulum, Quintana Roo, 77780, M
Expedia.com Tingo.com Booking.com

More about Tulum

spoon bill kayak birding sian kaan biospherespoon bill kayak birding sian kaan biosphere

Shotgun that beer Billy !!Shotgun that beer Billy !!

Fish on the grillFish on the grill

Making dessertMaking dessert

Transport in Tulum

by TandP77

I'm going to be in the Tulum area for several weeks, and I'd like an opinion on transport options. Rather than renting a car for the whole period, is it realistic to get around by taxi or collectivo? I speak reasonable Spanish.
There is a possibility I might be able to borrow a car privately, but I have no idea what the insurance situation might be. Any advice? My own car insurance will definitely not cover me.

by Ilona.

I've travelled to Cancun, Mexico and found the taxi rates very reasonable. You haven't mentioned if you'll be staying at a hotel but if you are hotels have buses travelling to Tulum ~ that's how I got there & they even made a stop half way on the trip at a nice little restaurant to have lunch. Enjoy your trip :D

by juliogg

I would suggest you rent a car the first couple of days to get your bearings and understand the distances that you will be dealing with b/w your sleep place and what you will be doing. Once you "scope" out your terrain , you will know if Taxis, etc, will work or if the lowner will happen.

by Dabs

Besides our 1st trip, we've never felt the need to have a car (we stay in PDC or Playacar). There are plenty of taxis but we usually get around by using the colectivos to get up and down the coast. They are easy to use and very inexpensive, I speak very little Spanish. If you are heading beyond the coast (ie Coba or Chichen Itza) you can take organized daytrips or rent a car for the day

by MikeySoft

As the others have said, it depends on where you are staying and going. I rented a car for my 10 days this past March. But I like to travel free will and went and stayed inland and also along the coast. I met people who only traveled along the coast and took taxies and busses and seem to have no problwms. I feel the freedom of having a car is great.

Travel Tips for Tulum

This fun ,taking a picture with the local fellows

by Waalewiener

I think that looks nice ,these local fellows beautiful dressed in their no doubt origional
Mayan native outfits ,awsome looking feathers , face & body paintings .
Looks great and of course they would like you give them a donation ,and why not eh. They were located as soon as you walked in near the shopping area were you could buy many Arts & crafts .

The Caste War

by Lady_Disdain

In the 19th century, the Maya people rebelled against Spanish descendents, who were taking over communal lands and threatening their way of life. This was the Caste War. Anyone of Spanish descent was seen as the enemy and likely to be murdered if they stepped into the jungles.

The war was not a continuous conflict, but rather a serie of small rebellions, followed by greater uprising (after, for example, the death of an important leader).

However, after Valladolid was sacked and 85 white men were killed, the retribution included the rape and murder of a 12 year old Maya girl. This spurred the conflicts to greater heights, to the point were Merida, the colonial capital, was close to being evacuated. The beginning of the rains and the planting period, however, suspended the attack.

In time, the Spanish descendents beat the Mayas back into Quintana Roo, which remained a territory until 1902, when it was finally recognized as a State in Mexico.

Packing List

by hayward68

Bring along a small knapsack to carry your water and bathing suit for those excursions that you'll be taking. Water shoes are good for climbing over the rocks that you will sometimes encounter in the water. Pack the sunscreen and insect repellant. It's really expensive in Mexico. Preferably bio-degradeable sunscreen if you can find it, that's all your allowed to use at Xel-Ha. It cost me $10US for a bottle of it at Tulum. Bring lots of film with you, again, it's expensive there! Bring underwater camera for some great pics of fish! Scuba diving, snorkelling gear, Pepto bismo, immodium, the usual stuff for encounters with dodgy food and drinks.

You must visit a Mayan...

by hayward68

You must visit a Mayan village. Our tour included a trip to a small village where they had no running water and no electricity, but the people were perfectly happy and friendly. We were allowed into their home to take pics.

Fan of Octopus?

by whitneyone about the restaurant at copal

First night on vacation so lets do something special, like get the seafood fiesta for two. It was VERY good. The best octopus either of us had ever had. But be forewarned, it looks like the real thing. This is not breaded and fried. The fish, the shrimp and mussles were also good, the squid a little boring. We did think it was overpriced at 39 dollars USD for two, but what the heck, it was a big night. I don't know if you can get the Octopus alacarte, but it's worth a try. the marinade is very good.
But we came to find out they use that marinade on a lot of seafood there, so we are glad we had it on the first night before we got tired of it.

Comments