Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa

Riviera Maya Km 234, Quintana Roo, (formerly Sunscape Tulum), Tulum, Quintana Roo, 77780, Mexico

BookIt.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 22% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• small, comfortable: good deal

had a stay as family in a junior suite 2Adults, 2Kids. spacious and very friendly. hotel is
    not too big ( 230 rooms) so kids ran around without parental supervision and didn't got lost
    staff is very friendly and competent.
    Pool is big (half olympic :-) hammocs around the beach; palm trees even on the beach

plan to come back.

Unique Quality: clean beach, short distances, great food, (sushi bar), very clean

closed / guarded areal

very private, no other buildings within 1 Km around

Directions: in the middle of bush/ beach; 5km to Tulum but public transport stops at main entrance.

• The Sunscape

This place is amazing. It is all-inclusive which means that all food and drinks (alcohol, too) are included in the price of your stay. I can honestly say that I have never been treated better at any hotel or resort than I was by the staff here. The people who work here are incredibly caring and talented and if I could invite every one of them to my home to repay them for their hospitality I would do it.

Unique Quality: The resort has a huge pool, private beach, cenote, spa, 4 restaurants, and 3 bars, including one on the beach. They offer 24 hour room service and provide an exstenisve children's program during the day as well as nannies at night for an extra fee. Shows and movies are offered every night as well as many sports and activites during the day for those who want to participate. The grounds are very well kept and sprayed for bugs daily so that you won't be eaten by mosquitoes. I only have one complaint about this place, and I think it is well justified. (See tourist traps for more info on this.)

Directions: Drive south from Cancun on Mexico 307 for about 2 hours. You will see the signs for the hotel.

More about Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa

Nice, but not 6 apples, maybe 5 or 4

by TripAdvisor Member RickC5

Overall, we had a good time, and liked the Dreams Tulum resort, but felt it was really no better than the Palladium or El Dorado Seaside Suites. Not knowing what Apple’s criteria are for a “six golden apple resort,” we couldn’t say that Dreams meets the criteria, or doesn’t meet it. It was nice, secluded, comfortable and the staff was friendly and helpful. From our perspective, some areas really do need some attention (see details below), but perhaps these could be related to the recent changeover from Secrets to Dreams.

The drive from the airport took about 2 hours, with three stops to disgorge other passengers before we reached Dreams. We received champagne upon arrival, with check-in being quick and painless.

ROOM: We were upgraded to a Jr. Ocean-Front Suite (730) which was a great room: large, clean and comfortable. TV, DVD player, well-stocked mini-refrigerator, two sinks, extra windows, window in the shower, etc. As this room was at the end of a building, we had a large, wrap-around deck that overlooked the beach and the back of the Mexican restaurant. Excellent location close to the lobby, beach, pools and restaurants.

If you stay in the ocean-front rooms (7xx rooms), their water is on the same water line as the old pool, so if they happen to be filling the pool, you will have no water to flush the toilet or shower with for a short time. There was some water coming out of the hot water tap on the sinks when this happened. Also, this only happened once while we were there. The tap water throughout the resort was VERY salty, and not potable.

HOUSEKEEPING: Housekeeping service was good, but not too reliable. Most days, I had to find the housekeeper (always someone different, so difficult to establish any kind of relationship) and specifically ask for our room to be cleaned, as they hadn’t gotten to it by mid-afternoon. Towels in the room were hit-and-miss. You never knew what they were going to leave you with. For example, no washcloths a couple of times, and no hand towels another time.

FOOD: We thought the food was pretty darn good, but not remarkable, with the exception of the Asian restaurant, which was superb. The Mexican restaurant was quite good too, but had a limited menu. The Italian was a big disappointment, but that could have been due to our choices of dishes (don’t order the lamb or risotto!). We never got to the French, as the menus at the buffet always looked more attractive and interesting to us than the menu at the French. We also didn’t make it to the sushi bar. Breakfasts at the buffet were good, but selection became boring after a week, as they were fairly extensive, but changed very little from day-to-day. Evening buffet meals had a different theme each night, and we were very pleased with what was offered, especially on Caribbean night.

SNORKELING: We love to snorkel, and despite what we had heard and read before we left, snorkeling at Dreams Tulum is terrible, in our opinion. The reef is about a half-mile offshore, and while that wouldn’t be a difficult swim if the water was calm, we weren’t so lucky. Strong winds churned up the water and caused pretty big waves (2 - 3 feet), which we felt were more than we wanted to deal with. We did hike about 2.5 - 3 miles South along the beach to Tankah Caleta, which is a large ceynote open to the sea. Great snorkeling there, but a long hike and interesting currents to deal with. So, we only got to snorkel twice, as we chose to not pay for one of the snorkel trips offered at the dive shop.

BEACH: The beach was nice, and there were many palapas for shade (six new ones were added while we were there), although you had to “reserve” one early in the morning by dropping some belongings on the lounge chairs. The resort had some guys that raked up the seaweed all day long (LOTS of seaweed). Once you step into the water, you will have rocks to deal with, except at the “swim beach” near the moored trampoline. Water shoes are advisable for going in the water, as you can't see what you are about to step on.

POOLS: The old pool was noticeably warmer than the new pool, which did not seem to be heated at all. Interestingly, there were few people using the new pool (Dah!). We’re not pool people, so I don’t have much to report on the pools. The new pool does have new restrooms, which are nice.

CONSTRUCTION: Way too much noise, as they were doing demolition right next to the plaza. Hard to find a spot on the beach where it wasn’t noisy. They appear to be doubling the number of rooms, but I couldn’t determine if any additional restaurant space was being added or even considered to accommodate all the additional guests when these rooms are finished. If not, restaurant seating will become a problem once these rooms are done. BTW, they are a long way from being finished, IMHO, so construction noise will be a factor for some time to come.

WEATHER: We were there from Jan. 17 to Jan 24, 2006. It was cloudy and cool the first two days, then got sunnier and warmer, but cooled off again the last two days. Rain was intermittent, but it usually rained at least once a day. On Monday the 23rd (our last full day), it rained for most of the day and evening. It was very windy for most of our stay, which really churned up the ocean and made it impossible to snorkel. This is the second time we have experienced such ferocious winds in 8-10 visits to the Riviera Maya over the past 10 years. Too bad for us.

Returning to the airport took three hours thanks to a blown tire on the van (actually, all the tread was thrown off the right rear tire. Remember all those news stories about overloaded vans wrecking? I think we narrowly avoided a major disaster. Scary!), and then once we secured a taxi on our own for the rest of the trip (our van driver was totally clueless), it started raining which caused three major traffic accidents in a three kilometer stretch just south of PDC. Navigating the wrecks took almost an hour. Not a fun trip, believe me. We will be talking to our travel agent about reimbursement for the $70 fare it took us to get to the airport, but, we did get to the airport on time and had a great flight home on Frontier.

If this report sounds slightly negative, so be it; we had a wonderful time nonetheless. Our criticisms are based on the fact that we expected Dreams to somehow be “a notch above” a four or five Golden Apple resort, but that isn’t what we found.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask…….

The great much better than the bad

There are a lot of reviews of this place posted here and under the previous name Sunscape, and there sure are a wide variety of opinions. My opinion is that if you are looking for something to complain about you will find it here and most anywhere. The things that were great about this place far outweigh any minor problems and inconveniences.

My wife, our 4-year-old son and I traveled to Dreams Tulum and met up with a total of 14 members of my family ages 20 months – 88 years. While we have done a fair amount of travelling, but this is our first time to an all-inclusive.

Tulum is about 75 miles south of Cancun which takes about 90 minutes to 2.5 hours depending on the number of stops required to drop off others at resorts along the way. Tulum is the end of the line. We arrived at the resort at about 2:00 and our room was not ready, but we joined the rest of the family who had already arrived for lunch and drinks. At about 3:30 we got to our room and it was a nice, but not spectacular with two double beds, desk, and a non reclining arm chair. The balcony had a couple chairs, table and a rope hammock that I came to enjoy. A small fridge in the closet was stocked with beer, pop, juice and water.

We are pool people and spent considerable time at each of the two pools. The large free form activity pool was almost 5’ deep in most places, which was a little uncomfortable for some of the petite ladies in our group. It did have a ledge around almost the entire perimeter, which was perfect for sitting and enjoying a cold beverage from the swim up bar. At one end of the pool there was a one-foot deep wading pool for the toddlers in our group. The water was a bit salty, but not like seawater. I am not sure if the water they use to fill it is naturally that way, or if the treat it with bromine rather than chlorine which is not as harsh on the skin and hair. The other pool, which they call the quiet pool, was shallower and intended for swimming laps, but we used that too when we would not be bothering the lap swimmers.

The other activity that my son loved was the bungee trampoline. Basically it was a standard round backyard trampoline with two tall poles attached to long bungee jump type ropes attached to a harness greatly magnifying the height one can jump. There were lots of other organized activities like Spanish lessons, salsa dancing class, etc. I thought the activity guys were a tad too pushy in generating participation, but we did have fun when we did participate. The beach was a bit rocky and the water rough, so we did not spend much time there, Lounge chairs were plentiful and the pool towels were large and soft and you did not have to sign away your first born to get one. I asked for six every morning and was handed them without question.

We ate at the buffet all 3 meals every day. There was a good variety and breakfast was particularly good. We did try to get into the Aisin restaurant one night, but it is small and our group large, and we were told that there would be about an hour wait. We decided to go back to the buffet, which happened to be serving oriental food with most of the items on the menu matching those at the specialty restaurant, including the much praised spring rolls.

There is a fair amount of construction going on, so if the sight of that bothers you don’t go there for a couple years. It did not bother us and, my son really enjoyed watching the men work.

There is a small expensive convenience store on the property, but if you want souvenirs, they have a small bazaar set up with local vendors showing off their trinkets a couple times a week. Of course this is Mexico were you need to bargain if you want a good deal. Hold your ground and they will settle for 30-40% of the initial asking price.

I would say our biggest disappointment was the nightly entertainment. We are used to cruise ship quality stuff and this was not it. But the place is small and I am sure cannot afford the big name acts.

For the most part we all enjoyed our stay, but the place probably does not deserve the highest 6-apple rating. I would recommend the place as it was an excellent value, but will try and see other places before returning.

Great Vacation despite weather

by TripAdvisor Member Wiscogirl

I'll start the review by giving you a little background. We are a newly-engaged couple in our mid-20s. We love good food and good drinks and wanted to relax and spend some quality time together.

We arrived Saturday morning and too a somewhat efficient Apple van to Dreams Tulum. We dropped off at a few other hotels and it wasn't a big deal, it took about 2 hours and we listened to music and drank a few beers we got at the airport.

Upon arrival we were greeted with champagne and a very nice front desk person. We discussed upgrading from a garden view junior suite to a ocean view. She was nice enough to show us both rooms and let us decide if we wanted to upgrade. It was $280 for the week and well worth it to us. The balcony had a 2-person hammock and a decent view of the ocean, but was not oceanfront. The big bonus was the huge 2-person tub and proximity to the beach, pools and restaurants. There were very few bugs and the musty smell was remedied with candles I brought thanks to TA recommendations. I do wish I would have brought some Febreze, however, to spray the curtains/rugs. It wasn't a big problem, but it would have been nice.

A note about the water - it is kind-of salty and not something you want to get in your eyes, but I always felt clean after a shower and my long hair did not suffer. I brushed with bottled water, my fiance used the tap and he was fine.

Our maid was good, but our turndown service was a little spotty. Some nights we'd get an event sheet, roses and chocolates and sometimes we didn't. We always had plenty of towels and had to ask for minibar restocking a few times, but it also wasn't a problem.

We tipped all staff as I work part time as a bartender and just wanted to, but service didn't seem any better than anyone else. We tipped more at a la carte restaurants where 2 waiters served us (Portofino, Bordeaux). It was all-around good service and I only encountered 2 rude people the entire time - 1 bartender and 1 front desk person who was extremely rude to us and other guests. After my second encounter with her, I only went to the front desk when someone else was there, so it wasn't a problem.

Food-

Buffets - Breakfast is great, Lunch and Dinner a both good but nothing amazing, my only complaint would be that sometimes the breads tasted a little stale, but that could be the humidity. I loved the bloody mary bar and mimosa bars and the breakfast buffet.

Room service - Very limited menu, but good, fast and 24 hours.

Sengiggi - AMAZING - they had a greadt selection of everything and it was all perfectly prepared

Bordeaux - Very good - Bread could have been better or at least more French. Apps were good, Entrees and Dessert were good as well. I recommend getting the duck or salmon puff pastry, both are delicious.

Portofino - Great food - BEST liquor selection (Frangelico, Disarrono, etc.) Apps we good, minestrone was a bit odd and they never quite got it right (undercooked beans). The osso buco was great. I don't really recommend the tenderloin, for some reason it always seemed very tough (even when cooked med-rare). Tiramisu and cannoli were also very good.

El Charro - Great mexican food, great service. Try the shrimp cocktail and fajitas. The sopa de elote was a little iffy, though.

Bars - Good drinks, nothing amazing, but good.

Entertainment -

Ranged from OK to pretty good. I liked the house band, but got a little sick of them after a few days. The other shows were kind-of boring

Movies on the beach - Cool, nice popcorn and cooler of soft drinks.

Excursions -

Mayan Adventure - Snorkeling in a cenote, lagoon and underground river. Very cool and a bargain at $75 for an entire day w/ lunch. But it is all snorkeling, all the time, not much shopping/other activities that you might expect. Bathrooms were a bit gross too.

Tulum - We cabbed it to the ruins ($10 w/ tip each way) avoid the information booths and walk straight down the road to the ticket area. Tickets are $45 pesos and they only take pesos. You can hire a guide but it's expensive and most of it seemed pretty self explanatory. I'd recommend buying a book if you want details and exploring yourself. The beach is great - but no showers, restrooms.

Weddings -

There were 2 weddings while we were there and while beautiful, this helped me decide to not have a ceremony there. The setups were right on the beach, about 30 ft. away from the pool areas. I guess some people wouldn't be bothered, but the ideas of saying my vows while some guy in a banana hammock walks by is not my cup of tea. I've included a photo of the ceremony setup, it was very pretty.

The first couple had their reception dinner in El Charro, they still sat other tables to the other resort-goers, but it looked really nice and they had a mariachi band. The bride was lovely. But for me, I would have wanted something a little more private and not open to everyone at the resort - this is just a warning to brides the want a just-so wedding, like myself. If you are getting married there, you may want to ask for a beach reception or a private room if you don't want dozens of strangers around.

The second couple had their dinner at Portofino. It was smaller and they took photos in the walkway before dinner. Again, very nice, but not at all private.

Overall it was a great time, the construction was annoying, but not a dealbreaker and the rain was annoying, but didn't ruin our good time. We met some cool folks from Wales and Wisconsin and there were a lot of nice people if you felt like mingling. I would go back again if I got a good deal, but may try another AM resort that is closer to Cancun.

Fun in the Sun (and rain)

by TripAdvisor Member PackersFan

My husband & I did some travel agent research and internet research and decided on Dreams, Tulum for our honeymoon based on reviews, photos, cost, etc. (FYI - Don't forget to search Orbitz, Sam's Club Travel, etc. for vacation deals).

We purchased travel insurance (didn't need it - but the fact we had it was comforting) and round-trip transportation to/from the airport. Highly recommend having the transportation set up before you go.

The trip to the resort took about 1 hr 45 min (stopping at two different resorts). We enjoyed the stops to be able to comapare resort appearances. When we got to Dreams we were greeted with a whirlwind of champagne, apples, cookies, damp towels to freshen up. We recieved our room number (Garden View Jr. Suite with a king size bed - 412), our luggage was whisked away, and we were given a quick overview of the resort and directed to our room. I seriously think we had the farthest back room to the NW (corner unit). We actually loved the fact that we were forced to walk every day.

Room - Our room was not quite ready when we walked in, but we were patient and waited for our luggage. We had a honeymoon banner hanging on our door to let everyone in our corridor know. We loved the room itself. Larger than we expected, bright, and clean, smelled a little like wet wood (furniture was wooden) - but we were prepared with candles, room spray and a plug-in. We kept our air conditioner running the whole week and it was nice to get a lot of the moisture out of the air. Our safe didn't work - but we called and they worked on it for awhile and then actually took it out, took it away, fixed it and brought it back. We had to wait for our hammock to be delivered - but it was probably one of my favorite places to be (especially when it rained) and well worth the wait. If you don't have one - call and be patient. Our bathroom was large with two sinks and a nice tub/shower, toilet and bidet, and lots of shelves. After about 2 hours, we were winding down from the flight and getting ready to face the world - we got a delivery of champagne and fruit (congratulating us on our wedding/honeymoon). Nice touch. Every night we recieved excellent turn down service. I couldn't wait to get back to the room to see what sort of towel shape was left for us or what type of flowers were around. (Everyone we talked to was a little different on this one...we lucked out with a great turn down service person.) Be careful if it rains and you are out walking...all of the walkways get pretty slick and you could fall very easily.

Service - FANTASTIC. I would definitely recommend this resort on sevice alone. We were told to bring a bunch of singles and tip when we felt like tipping. We pretty much felt like tipping all of the time. Just because everyone worked so hard - and always with a smile on their face. There was one person at the front desk at the evening that I would avoid as she was extremely unhelpful...but again - you could always go to the other person up there.

Entertainment - The activities during the day were posted every morning and sometimes you would get an agenda the night before. The rain hampered a lot of the activities during the day and some at night. Until the end of our stay - it was pretty much do the activity on your own - then there were actually staff coming up to try to get you to join. Had that happened in the beginning of the week - we may have participated more. Eveing entertainment was not THAT exciting. The "house" band was okay. One night was "rock" night and 2 guys with guitars performed and they were very impressive. Movies on the beach were cool and we watched the NFL football playoffs on the beach - that was cool.

Pools - Two pools. One that I read was to be an adult pool (the rectangular/old pool) and the free form pool (new) with the swim up bar. We usually planted ourselves at the old pool b/c there was usually loud music and construction noises going on during the day at the new pool...and too much going on to relax, read, etc. But for those who are active at the pool activities, good one to hang out at. The old pool was not necessarily an adult pool...so don't count on it. But still more relaxing than the new pool. The water is salty and very cold after a rain (to my knowledge, neither pool is heated), but refreshing when the sun is hot.

Food - VERY IMPRESSIVE!!! We think the Asian restaurant was by far the best food quality. Don't be afraid to order what you want - if you want to order 4 appetizers - do it. The restaurant is small and if you aren't there when it opens, you could be in for a wait. We don't like sushi, so we skipped Gohan. Bordeaux and Portofino were really nice too. The buffet at La Hacienda never disappointing either. For those who like eggs for breakfast - don't forget about the egg bar...the cook will make you eggs any way you like them. Yum! We ate at the grill by the pool for lunch - but didn't realize the menu changed at night...so we never went there. Room service was a great option too...they even delivered in the pouring rain - even though they said they might not be able to. They always said 25 minutes - but it was usually way before that. The guacomole was great and we loved the club sandwich. Finally - try the Mayan coffee - you can get it at the grill (El Charro) at night - It's a coffee drink with an interesting flavor (sort of an after dinner coffee) - prepared by lighting the alcohol that's in it on fire and pouring it back and forth. It's pretty cool to watch (don't forget that it's a good thing you could tip on).

Extra things we did - We took a taxi to Tulum Pueblo (to eat breakfast one day - as per a tour book - Hell's Kitchen doesn't exist if you have that tour book) and shop. Between 7 and 10 US dollars with tip for the taxi.

We took the bike trip to the ruins at Tulum through the resort. The bikes are pretty scary (practice before you get on the path and make sure your breaks work). It's about a 20/25 minute ride (faster on the way back if you ride without the group and you like to bike). The route is pretty rough and at one point you are riding on the highway (frightening). But I really enjoyed it. Guides at Tulum are pretty expensive - so we walked around and read the signs. The beach is really quite nice and pretty. Make your way down from the cliffs and swim in the waves. That's what made the trip worth while. There were shops near the entrance that we didn't know were there until that day - so if you want to shop - I guess I would try here.

We also took a taxi ($10-ish US dollars) to Xel-Ha for snorkeling. I would suggest going for the entire day (we went for 1/2 day) and purchasing the all-inclusive package (all snorkeling equipment, food, drinks, ice cream, etc. included). I can't vouch for the snorkeling b/c I freaked out (I'm a wimp when it comes to multitudes of fish) - but I heard nothing but excellent reviews from my husband and others who snorkeled. I did hike around the grounds and found that very enjoyable. Make sure you make it out past the floating bridge to the point with the hammocks...Such a beautiful view.

We talked about going back in 5-ish years...when all construction is completed to see the difference. There are just so many places in the world to visit - that would be the only reason we wouldn't return. But we would definitely recommend it to those who want a relaxing vacation vs. a party every night vacation.

Our strongest recommendation for anyone who is planning on going there. If something isn't right, needs fixing, bothers you, whatever - just ask someone about it. If it doesn't get done right away - ask again. It's a large resort, they will get to it as soon as they can. And with a smile on their face!

Rocky Dreams

by TripAdvisor Member andresd

Great food, great service, great facilities, great hurricane recovery, but in the end we're left with an impression of "rocky Dreams".
Water shoes were the critical equipment we brought along, following advice from a previous visitor to the then Sunscape Tulum. No matter where we entered the sea, there were rocks to contend with. This was true even on a seemingly perfect, deserted, beach about a mile walk South. Hurricane recovery was still underway, evidenced by the new palapas being planted, the newly planted, still scrawny-looking, palm trees, the newly opened pool and pool bar, etc. But, major construction is in full swing, and the noises from banging cranes, hissing compressor, were made worse by the competing loud music. One evening, this cacophony stretched well into the dinner hours, which made for a very unpleasant attempt at a romantic meal, al fresco, at the beach grill. (great food, though)
If you've bought already, get a room further from the beach (400 series), and your extra effort (pleasant walk) will be rewarded with relative quiet.
This was one time when beachfront was definitely not best.
As for the future, it seemed to me that the in-progress, major Dreams expansion of the quaint Sunscape, will destroy its charm, so my wife and I will be looking elsewhere for that warmth and understated polish we did find at Tulum.

Six applies? Wrong!

by TripAdvisor Member Thomas Kurtz

We chose to visit the Dreams Resort in Tulum based in part on reviews from Trip Advisor and from the Apple Vacation 6-apple rating. We stayed for a week at the end of January. Over the past 14 years, we have vacationed primarily at all-inclusive resorts in Playa, Cancun and P.V., and have stayed at a number of different resorts. Overall, the Tulum Dreams Resort is about average compared to other all-inclusive resorts in the price range. It is certainly not deserving of Apples 6-golden apple rating, and is about 50% the quality of the sister resort in Playa Del Carman.

The resort is located south of Playa Del Carman about 30 miles, and about five miles north of the town of Tulum. Public transportation vans stop at the entrance to the resort every 20 minutes, providing a low-cost source of transportation between Playa and Tulum – taxis are available at 4-5 times the cost. There are no resorts or properties within a mile of the resort and the beaches are 'walker friendly', except for all the debris and trash that is never removed because no one maintains the unoccupied beach areas outside the resort boundaries.

The resort grounds are appropriately maintained, but certainly not landscaped to any degree of eloquence. There are areas of standing tepid water between the resort rooms and the main stage and tennis court area. The oceanfront at the resort is rocky, but a walk of less than five minutes south of the resort provides access to good swimming and snorkeling. The second pool is now open with a swim-up bar. The staff is not obnoxious in their efforts to solicit participation in scheduled events or activities.

The rooms are typical for a resort; however, the beds are extremely hard, just slightly better than sleeping on the marble floor. Rooms have a mini-fridge stocked daily with four 8-oz. beers and some pop, juice and water. Water quality and pressure are substandard. Their water treatment facilities are obviously incapable of providing a consistent supply of treated and heated water. Clogged toilets were an issue with a number of guests, but we did not have that problem in our ocean-view third-story room. Our room was thoroughly cleaned every day, and at a specified time after we requested it at the front desk.

Front-desk personnel were helpful, and check-in was without incident. We asked for an ocean-view upgrade at check-in and were provided one for an additional $40/day, far less than if booked in advance through Apple. Resort personnel were very friendly and accommodating, well above average in that department. During the busy days Thursday-Saturday, they were understaffed.

The resort is adding 250-300 rooms to the south. Construction noise can be heard all day from the rooms to oceanfront. In addition, they were demolishing one of the courtyard buildings because the cenote’ reportedly shifted course following the hurricane and will affect the building’s foundation. Demolition was extremely loud, and went into the evening hours, obscuring the live music from the band in the courtyard. We had read comments that the construction noise was tolerable, but even with copious amounts of liquor we found the noise to be very annoying. The property north of the resort is also under construction, but has apparently been abandoned as evidenced by the lack of activity. It is truly an eyesore.

Food and beverage were the highlight of the week. Dos Equis beer, regular and dark, is on tap. The house wines is served by the bottle, not tap, and is the best house wine we have ever had at an all-inclusive. Name brand liquor is served, and bottles are not refilled with cheap stuff as in most resorts. The buffet meals were average at best. Breakfast food was cooked too far in advance and quality of the cooked food was below average. There were no scrambled eggs available on the buffet, forcing one to go to the egg station. The egg station could only process a single order at a time, causing many to abandon the wait in line and seek other fare.

With the specialty Asian, French, Sushi, and Italian restaurants, we never even considered a trip to the buffet for the evening meal. There were no restrictions on the number of times that you could eat at the restaurants. The food was above average and the service was very good. The problem was food preparation; despite the limited menu, the kitchen was often unable to produce food in a timely manner. Waiters were often slow to bus the tables and seat new guests, particularly in the Sushi restaurant. The sushi was fresh and well presented; however, no plastic gloves are worn in the preparation of the food.

The Mexican restaurant is the best choice for lunch, offering a prepared-to-order menu that varied from hamburgers to pan-fried fish. A charcoal grill preparation would greatly improve the flavor of many of the dishes. On high volume days, the restaurant staff was overwhelmed, with servers trying to satisfy the needs of 10-12 tables of guests.

The nightly entertainment was the standard Mexico resort fare, nothing special. The Friday beach party night is a waste of resort resources considering the feedback from the guests that attended. The movie on the beach is also an activity that should be abandoned – peace and quite on the beachfront would be preferable.

Noise excluded, it was an enjoyable week, made so by the friendly staff. We would not begin to consider returning under the present construction situation. I doubt there will be much improvement in the near future because other than an exit comment form, there was no active effort by resort personnel to mingle with guests to solicit ideas for improving the resort services.

Holy cow...what a great place!

by TripAdvisor Member ralphguay

Four of us spent Christmas at Dreams. Two couples. It was a total positive experience. The food is excellent with many, varied choices. The accomodations and room services are excellent...that nightly Mexican chocolate treat is a dream to us chocolate addicts. Our maid Angelika did an outstanding job. Our refrigerator was always well-stocked with beverages of our choice.

The view from our gulf-side room was awe inspiring.

But the staff...the staff...they are the real gift you receive when staying there. Accomodating yes, but FRIENDLY? You bet! It's a people place for people who love people.

You will not be disappointed.

Ralphie Boyo

Never Go Back 2* MAX

by TripAdvisor Member Ek20774

This trip was for my birthday and I definately will not go back. The commute from the airport is about 75 minutes WOW! The pool is not large and its the only one. The restaurants are ok the one by the pool has bugs allllllll over and its difficult to eat. The star rating this hotel is given is definately not deserved. I would rate a 2* max and thats being nice. My room had 3 bugs when we first went in and my companion would not let me complain. The beach is rocky and dirty but there is salvation by the water trampoline- beach is beautiful there. We did have a massage for my birthday and that was the best feature this hotel offers if by chance luck bring you to the Sunscape, Please indulge. All in all we made the best of it because we were already there. However in the future this is DEFINATELY not an option. We will go back to the RIU Cancun or Grand Xcaret first they were NICE!!!!!!!

Traveling to Tulum for the first time.....

by scottswifey

My husband and I are traveling to Tulum on April 18th through the 24th of this year..It is our 2yr. wedding anniversary, and we are soooo excited..We are staying at Dreams Tulum resort, has anyone stayed there recently?

RE: Traveling to Tulum for the first time.....

by Saxman92

Type the hotel name into the search bar at www.tripadvisor.com or copy and paste this link:

Looks like an excellent choice - enjoy!

Comments