Hemingway Eco Beach Resort

BILLY & LAURABILLY & LAURA

Mayab busMayab bus

transportation from Akumal

by doodle962

My three children and I are vacationing in Akumal next week. I plan on getting us to Tulum but hadn't wanted to mess with renting a car. What options are there besides the resort packages that would safely get my kids and me back and forth?

by rmdw

Several years ago I rented a car in Cancun and drove it down to Tulum. There were no problems with it. In fact, it felt just like renting a car in the U.S., including the insurance. But perhaps someone else will know of a bus or such which you can take.

Robert

P.S. Great smile on your passport photo!

by charlesstewart

Take A Taxi Or The much cheaper bus. Both are safe to use .

by doodle962

Hey thanks (for both the info and the compliment)!
I planned this trip in January but was loathe to figure out the last details until my kids' passports actually arrived!
I do alot of photography too; nice pics you've posted!

Heather

by doodle962

Is it as easy to return (Tulum to Akumal) by taxi?
I'm not against the bus either if the busstop is easily accessible (three kids with me). I met alot of great people in the Puerto Vallarta area on the bus last year...
Thanks!
Heather

Heather,

As I recall, Tulum is a fairly isolated place. Perhaps it would make sense for you to get a Spanish speaking friend to write out a comprehensive note about PRECISELY what you're looking for in terms of transportation, emphasizing the return time.

If you do opt for the taxi route, I'm *guessing* that the taxi driver would just stay there with you and your kids rather than making 2 trips.

Robert

by charlesstewart

There taxi cabs there at Tulum, that are waiting for fares.

by rmdw

Not when I was there, there weren't. Sir, do you realize that this lady and her kids may be depending upon your advice? A modicum of responsibility on your part would be appreciated.

by charlesstewart

well let's see I just got back 3/22/07 the taxis are there in the parking lot and on the old dead-end beach road . and if you want a great meal walk down this road to the guard shack were the road is blocked walk around the side of it were the foot& bike traffic goes to the first drive way and you will see the sign for the restruant. there are even taxis droping pepople off there .So I don't know about that other person that said that there is not taxis but I was just there!!!!

by charlesstewart

Let me know if you would like my phone # I live here in the states you can call and talk to me or my wife we travel to Mexico 3-4 per year .And are persently looking to move there. I think we can give you the skinny Mexico,Tulum

by Jefie

Hi! I stayed in Akumal last December and traveled to Tulum and Playa del Carmen by collectivo. The collectivos are white minivans that travel up and down the highway all day long, and they are very safe - pretty much all the guests at the resort were using them. It only costs $2 or 20 pesos/person, so it's cheaper than traveling by taxi. There are always a few collectivos waiting around resorts' main entrance as well as at all the popular sites (Tulum, Xel-Ha, Xcaret, etc.). You can check out my Quintara Roo page if you need more info, have a great trip!

Travel Tips for Tulum

The Bus stop and Bus station at Ruinas Tulum

by Waalewiener

Well the picture tells the story here .
When you arrive here you will see this small
Bus station ,it is nice to have the station here
there are some benches inside to wait for your bus .
If you would miss your bus by minutes or if you get their with two of you and there is only one seat left then you might have to wait an hour for the next bus.(this happened to us)
So I suggest when you arrive you check the times which the buses leave from here.

When eating out, ask for check

by noah_pedrini

Eating in Mexico--and many countries outside of the US I presume--is a much more cultural activity and less rushed than some of us may be used to. Don't assume that the waiter will bring you the check--la cuenta--when all your food has been cleared, you've said no to any postres (desserts), and/or you've stated that you're finished (terminado). They won't assume you're done and want to leave unless you tell them, and even after that it can take a bit to have the bill delivered to the table.

a GREAT restaurant in an out-of-the-way place

by newmexicomtngirl

My first-ever trip with my brand new pasaporte (from my boyfriend/partner) took me to the beaches of Tulum, Mexico, about 500 meters south of the ruins. We stayed @ the Santa Fe, on the beach, in a tent!! What a wonderful awesome time. The beach was just a zipper away. We went in high season (beginning of Jan. '07) so it costs us $100. pesos per night. What a view and what an awesome restaurant they had there hidden in the back away form the beach. If you want good eats and friendly service go there (they don't speak English so be prepared). They did have bathrooms that they kept really clean the first few days and not so frequently cleaned the second week ( I think it was because it was right after the holidays when we first got there). For the 2 weeks we were in Tulum, we ate there for most of our meals.

Tulum Bus Station: Everywhere from Here!

by wilocrek

The bus station in Tulum is located right on Tulum Ave in the heart of the town. From this station there are multitudes of taxis that will take you to your cabana. Make sure you don't pay more than 50 pesos per ride. Buses also leave from Tulum to almost every town in the Yucatan. There are buses to Chichen Itza, Coba, Merida, and even as far as Palenque, though you will probaly have to change buses. Of course there are buses that leave on a regular basis for Playa de Carmen, Cancun. If you are headed to the airport be sure to take one of the airport express buses which will save you time.

Very nice Italian in the Hotel Zone

by bdwoot about Zamas

It is at the south end of the first section of hotels at the end of the pavement. You can either eat al fresco or under a roof with the sound of the ocean and some very pleasant mexican-influenced Italian foods. The Guacamole is excellent and who can say no to margaritas. Rumor has it the pizzas hit the spot, too. In the evening, they have entertainment of sorts, as good as it gets in Tulum (which really isn't all that good). I listened to an techno-reggae new age group that at least didn't drive me out of the restaurant. Like everywhere, the guacamole and margaritas. (Sorry, I know that's not too helpful.)

Comments