La Zebra Luxury Cabanas

Carr Tulum-Boca Paila Km 86, Tulum, Yucatan Peninsula, 77780, Mexico
La Zebra Hotel, Tulum
Hotels.com Expedia.com

More about La Zebra Luxury Cabanas

La Zebra Cabanas Excellent!!

by TripAdvisor Member pecan185

We stayed at La Zebra Feb 3-6 2008 /4 days and I have to say the Cabanas were beautiful, very clean, exactly what every one says is correct .We stayed in Cabana #1 the master cabana huge and closest to the beach. No complaints there .The resort is magnificent and the beach gorgeous but I was very disappointed in the service from the staff at the restaurant and with the staff, being a small resort with only 9 cabanas you would think they would be more friendly and get to know there guests well maybe they did for others but not to us three sisters in our forty's .I have traveled quite extensively through out the world so this is not my first time staying at a secluded type resort. We thought they would ask how we liked things or how our stay was etc ,get to know us on a name bases or just make small talk but really nothing .We found the service in the restaurant to be slow and really not much conversation from the staff which to me is surprising as we ate there every meal almost..We thought it was quite pricey compared to other places we ate and I would highly recommend to go to Mezzanines Authentic Thai food and hotel, it was priced the same as La Zebra restaurant but un believable service and food was excellent, many choices to choose from. All in all the resort is excellent but the staff need to learn to be more attentive to there guests and learn proper skills towards guests/customer relations. It would have almost been perfect except that we were so disappointed with the staff for not giving that bit of attention that guests would like to receive and remember. There were other places to stay at in Tulum with the same type of accommodations that I will consider trying another resort next time I go to Tulum.For example Mezzanine had a beautiful resort and food and also a pool included. Pricy but worth it!
Other then that I would recommend the La Zebra.
Three sisters from Calgary AB.Canada

A Perfect Spot!

by TripAdvisor Member chefadk

La Zebra is the perfect place for a completely relaxing vacation. It is set on what is probably the best stretch of beach in Tulum, with the cabanas and cantina built among the palm trees. The facilities are perfect - just enough creature comforts without sacrificing basic conveniences. Although the cabanas are on the small side, they are creatively designed. We travelled with a small child which made the cabana a little tighter - fortunately we were able to move into the apartment which is perfect for a small family. The food at the cantina is fantastic - we pretty much worked our way through the entire menu in the 8 days we were at La Zebra. Best of all is the amazing staff - they will make your stay so much more memorable. Given that there are only 9 cabanas plus the apartment above the cantina, La Zebra is wonderfully intimate. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. As mentioned, the beach is as perfect as you will ever find with great hammocks and "beds" - you could literally walk for miles on end on the sweep of beach. We found La Zebra to be perfect with a young child. Our son loved exploring the beach, climbing the wooden sculptures and collecting coconuts. He was also spoiled by the very attentive staff!
There are very few negatives about La Zebra. The cabanas are definitely on the small side but the only time you ever need to go in doors is to sleep! Sunday nights things get quite loud with a live Salsa band at the cantina. Other than that, there are so many positives about the place. If you are an "all-inclusive" type looking for pools, theme nights at the restaurant and jacuzzi bath-tubs, La Zebra is not for you. If, on the other hand, you simply enjoy the serenity of the ocean, fantastically warm and personal service, great food, cool ambiance and a little slice of paradise, La Zebra is definitely the place to go. We can't wait to get back.

Beautiful Beach in Tulum!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Tequila111

Date: January 30th - February 3rd
Reviewer: Central Ohio, USA
If your looking for a more rustic type vacation on a great beach, this is the place for you. You get a little of the rustic feel, but yet a taste of luxury at the same time. The cabanas at La Zebra had everything you need for a comfortable stay on the beach. We had daily maid service (which was great), safe deposit box, plenty of nice fluffy towels, beach bag packed with beach towels and water, generous amount of bottled water, shampoo, conditioner, bath soap in the bathroom and yes, lets not for get the bottle of tequila and two shot glasses. The king size bed in cabana #2 was quite comfortable. It had big fluffy pillows, decent linens and oversized mosquito nettting. The view from cabana #2 could not have been better and the nice breeze that blew through out the cabana was great. Food at La Zebra restaurant was very good as well. It was nice to know you could walk just a few feet for lunch without actually leaving the beautiful beach setting. There were many other restaurants along the beach you could reach either by foot or taxi, so at least you have other options for food. The staff at La Zebra were friendly and accomadating. Very nice! Roberto the bartender was a joy to talk with as were many of the other restaurant staff. Would certainly recommend La Zebra to anyone looking for that quiet, rustic beach front cabana. Thanks La Zebra for a great stay!

Heavenly Winter Getaway

by TripAdvisor Member kvofoz

After years of hesitation on heading to Mexico for a winter getaway I gave in to my husband. After the stay in La Zebra, and experiencing what the area had to offer, I want to move to Mexico. The food and drinks at La Zebra are wonderful. The rooms are very comfortable with your own cabana. We stayed in two rooms 9 and 1. The lower the number the closer to the beach you are. Room 9 was a little to close to the street for us, but still a comfortable room with 2 double beds perfect for those trying to save money or with a family. Room 1 is HUGE and so close to the beach. I loved falling asleep listening to the ocean and palm trees. The bottle of tequila in the room was a fun touch. If you are looking for a relaxing winter getaway, look no further. The beach is quiet and the lounge chairs, beanbags and hammocks perfect. At night we walked on the beach to the other hotels for dinner, snacks or drinks and found many places to keep us entertained. The hotel has just revamped itself and the staff is still getting in the groove, but overall the service is good. The rooms are cleaned beautifully every day and Lorenzo was the waiter we always went to, he ALWAYS had a smile on his face and was happy to see you everyday. Avoid the angst New Yorker that runs the place in the absence of the New Zealander owners.

Perfect for a relaxing beach vacation

by TripAdvisor Member frangipangi

La Zebra has everything you could wish for, location, ambiance,
comfort.
The beachfront setting is exceptional.
The cabanas are on the small side
but very pretty and spotlessly clean.
Liked the restaurant and the sun deck on the beach.
Found the food as good as in any of the other places.

Would not have wanted to stay anywhere else on the beach.

Things like having to leave a deposit of $20 for the room key
and to hand over your passport if you wanted the restaurant
to keep a tab (after you have already payed the hotel $1200 )
seemed petty but did not spoil the really nice time
we had at the Zebra.

Beautiful Setting, Stunning Seascapes!

by TripAdvisor Member InnovAsian

The location was amazing! Beachcoming (6-7 mile long beach)and relaxation is the name of the game here. Don't expect glitz or excellent service but more than your basic needs at a very relaxed pace. I recommend bungalow 2 or 3 (We stayed in #3). Perfect everchanging commanding seaviews from your small porch and comfortable teak chairs. The rooms are clean and comfortable with a kingsize bed, hot water and a wonderful coziness that only a small seaview bungalow can offer. The sound of the ocean lulling us to sleep was heavenly and waking to that very sound for six days was splendid.

At $160 per night for a bungalow this close to the sea, this place really can not be beat. While the description of "Luxury Cabanas" may be a stretch, you are paying for your location more than anything. I have stayed in incredible beachfront accommodation throughout the Caribbean, (Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. Croix, St John, Aruba, the Bahamas, etc....) as well as all over Southeast Asia, (Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam) and La Zebra, located on the Mayan Riviera is a winner in my eyes.

It is located about 2 hours south of Cancun Airport.
10% service charge is added to all meals and the hotel bill. Our $160 night room was actually $176.
Friendly staff.
No credit cards are accepted.
Booked private transfers with AllTourNative Tours $160 roundtrip.
Hired a local taxi and took in the Tulum ruins and the ruins at Coba (about 45 minutes away) for $78.
Septic system is fixed and under control. We had no problem.
I don't recommend kids as it is truly a place for lovers. No pool.

All in all, we really enjoyed La Zebra. We were there for six nights January 14-20, 2008. Dreaming about the next time.....

Priceless location, sassy food and drinks

by TripAdvisor Member SeattleTwo

We picked La Zebra because it looked like Cabana #2 was a stylish, beautiful spot right on the beach. We were absolutely correct. Having walked all up and down the Tulum beach during our 11-day stay, we can say that in the cabana-on-the-beach category, La Zebra is the best spot. The beach furniture was comfortable and abundant, including cushioned loungers, big poufs, flat double beds with pillows, and numerous hammocks along with tables and chairs on the deck or in the sand.

The restaurant is well staffed with a creative menu, excellent drinks with fresh fruit, and good coffee. It was a little on the pricey end of other things available (more expensive than Zama's or places in town, less expensive than or comparable to Posada Margherita or Ana y Jose's). We didn't eat there all the time, but the fish tacos, Sunday BBQ, breakfasts, soups, and salads were excellent, and it was really nice to be able to eat on-site for any meal and sign it to our room.

There are tons of thoughtful touches in the cabana, all of which were written about in other reviews. The bed, linens, pillows, and towels were all great. The room was fairly small; didn't fee cramped but when we come back next year with a 6-month old baby, we won't all 3 fit in the room, we know : ) We'd have to stay in the suite, #1 or in #9 the family room.

Our few disappointments: several big bugs, including a scorpion, did get into our room, and you could see how... it is well-sealed to some extent, but with visible gaps around the sliding glass door. That was sort of creepy, but has certainly happened at even large air conditioned resorts in the past.

We also felt that some of the cool things about the concept of the place were not executed as well as they'd been envisioned. For instance, they have these amazing oil-lamp chandelieres with 20 little lights in them... but even on the big salsa night, none of these were lit. And the lanterns all along the paths throughout the resort were not always supplied with lamps, so it was pitch black getting back to our room (though the path from parking to restaurant was always well lit!). So one got the feeling that they were thinking, "the cabanas will always fill up... our job is to focus on the restaurant." I'd also appreciate if the paths were clearer and maybe tamped down somewhat, like at other places we went in the area. We got sandy up to our ankles walking from our room to dinner because the entire facility is as loose-sand as the beach is, despite landscaping and paths; the paths are just loose sand that was sometimes harder to walk in when not barefoot. That's so on the minutae level, though... I'm just being thorough.

We'd love to stay at La Zebra again and would highly recommend it.

***NOT for Families!!!!!!!!!!*** No way, Jose!

by TripAdvisor Member truthruth

The photos on their very slick website must have been taken with a special camera that makes things look a lot bigger than they actually are! The cabanas I saw while I was there were all tiny. When I checked in w/my husband and two very excited little beach bums, I was greeted with surprise. Somehow, the reservation had been miscommunicated and we didn't have a room reserved until the following night. After sometime, another room was made available, #5. Very nice breezy room w/kingsized bed. It was cozy with the 4 of us, but just fine. We then were moved to #9 the next day. DO NOT, whatsoever, stay in #9!!! It is what they call their "family cabana." I suppose because it has the 2 fullsized beds. It is by far the worst cabana in the place. It is the closest to the road which is actually quite noisy and the car headlights shine directly into the room. It is even more cramped because of having 2 beds. It is a dark unit that doesn't get much air. It is very stinky - moldy or something, but it doesn't smell clean at all. Then there's the septic tank. While we were assured it was a sealed unit - whatever that means, it wreaked of raw sewage and I felt sick all night long. We reported the problem after the first night and asked to be moved. Nope. And since we paid - up front, we decided to stay and hoped for improvement in the smell. After the workers covered the hole at the side of the cabana, the odor did dissipate somewhat. Then we awoke to a horrible smell-again raw sewage. And our toilet wouldn't flush. It was so gross! While Jiri was very nice and tried to appease us with a complimentary lunch or dinner our last night, it was more of an insult because we deserved much more compensation for the trouble we had endured . One night, the music was so loud from a live band playing there, it was impossible to sleep. And because the cabanas are so close to eachother, another night we were treated to our neighbor's loud "noises" that frightened our kids! We had to tell our kids that it was just the neighbor's TV...then they wanted to know why we didn't have a TV in our cabana...Oh, I think about the money I spent at La Zebra and it makes my skin crawl! This place is so cool it forgets how to be real. I could NOT wait to get out of there! And the beach further down the road is actually cleaner and nicer and the water is more calm than at La Zebra. I hope this saves anyone especially those travelling with kids from a ruined trip like I just had.

What A Joke

by TripAdvisor Member waterbaby36

IF u are looking for charm, nature, solitude, privacy and exclusiveness, THIS IS NOT THE PLACE. All these people are interested in is making a quick buck, by crowding the most amount of people in.. at the highest prices possible. The rooms are small, crowded close together.. you can hear your neighbor doing virtually everything(if you know what I mean). Don't let the SLICK advertising fool you, this place does not deliver and its not worth the money. The name of the game here is PROFIT. Give your business to locally owned Mexican establishments, instead of a bunch of mercenary australians(they own the property ) bent on exploiting the land and the poor mexican workers,while paying no taxes.Always protect yourself, in case you are not satisfied with your room, ask for a factura, which is a mexican reciept with a number on it, showing these charlatans are legallly doing business in the country. This is the only way to recoup your money in case anything goes wrong.The staff and management are quite rude, and service is horrible in the so-called bar, restaurant, Cantina??? There are so many more beautiful places on Tulum beach, for less money and a nicer beach. I say.. dont pay the price, we did and will never go back.BEWARE.

So Glad We Picked LaZebra!

by TripAdvisor Member suzyjacuzzi

We stayed at LaZebra in Cabana #4 for 2 nights. We wish we had stayed all week! This is a wonderful property right on the beach with clean, funky accommodations, great service and lots of character. The cabanas might not be for “everyone” but they were certainly what we were looking for! The King beds are outfitted in a Zebra motif and come fully equipped with lots of pillows and a full mosquito net. The bathroom/shower was spacious with an open air type stone shower area. We had plenty of hot water and lots of towels. The lighting in the cabanas isn’t the best but that’s totally expected given the location of LaZebra.

The property is beautiful at night with lots of candles and torches outlining the pathways. The restaurant/bar was perfect for lunch or just hanging out to have a few cocktails. We noticed that a lot of people came from all parts of the beach area to eat lunch and dinner. The fish tacos are incredible!

We tried out Hechizo restaurant on our first night ~ the property is really pretty and the service was outstanding. They only have 8 tables so an advance reservation is a must. The food was definitely similar to a high-end restaurant in Boston/New York.. however, I think the 2 guys in our group were still feeling a little hungry even after apps, dinner and dessert. This is definitely a special occasion place and might not be everyone’s idea choice when there are so many other unique and special local restaurants in the area. We spent approx $150 per couple on dinner.

The beach in front of LaZebra is amazing and we could walk for miles in either direction without seeing a lot of people. The hotel has a fun Salsa party on Sunday nights, which attracts quite a crowd. The music subsided around midnight. We went to Mezzanine for a drink and could not believe how crowded it was compared to other visits. I hear that the restaurant is phenomenal – it was packed solid at 7:00pm.

Overall, another great visit to Tulum ~ I was somewhat disappointed that we decided to spit our trip between Tulum and Playa.

La Zebra Cabanas

by laklvr

Traveling for the first time to Tulum for a wedding. Looking at cabanas on the beach. Does anyone have information about La Zebra Cabanas? Also about weather the first part of October.

reasonable and romantic restaurant suggestions??

by andera1

My wife and I will be celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary in Tulum, and I'd like to plan a special dinner away from our resort for an evening. I'd appreciate recommendations for a reasonably-priced restaurant with a romantic atmosphere. No preferences for types of food at this point. Thanks!!

by fbarriere

Is it too late to answer your quesiton ?

by fbarriere

Let's assume I am not too late, 3 suggestions (we are going to tulum next week for our 3rd year in a row, we love the place and as resident of Montreal we love good food...)
I don't know much restaurant within Tulum Ciudad.

All of the next one are on the beach. No specific order.
Near main road.

- Mezzanine; Thai food. Excellent, beautiful view, nice design. Lounge Style. No need reservation usually (maybe on a frifay/saturday). Roughly 50-70 USD per couple, bottle of wine included.

- Casa Hemingway. Small place on the beach. amazing Italian. Only 5 table, so absolutly need to reserve early in the day. Once table are book, the cook goes to shop for Dinner... Same price. VERY romantic. Nice place to stay as well. Italian owner and european crowd. Last time I brought a Champagne bottle and they served it to us (but I also stayed there).

- La Zebra. On Sunday, Free Salsa Lesson in the afternoon and Salsa show at night. Very good Mexican Food. Great drinks. Good atmosphere. Cheaper than 2 previous one.

- Azulik = no go
- Posada margherita = no go (somewhat good but price/quality not there)

Next week we are trying 3 more places.

by andera1

Thanks fbarriere! I appreciate the reply, and the suggestions. I hope you enjoy your trip!

Comments