Osiris sur mz 42 lote 2, Tulum, Quintana Roo, 77780, Mexico
Hotels.com Travelocity Expedia.com

More about Tulum

Guía professional mexico kan tours Muyil sian kaanGuía professional mexico kan tours Muyil sian kaan

Negative Ghost Rider (Iceman)Negative Ghost Rider (Iceman)

Temple of the Diving Gods (left)Temple of the Diving Gods (left)

The group at the tableThe group at the table

Is there room for luggage on collectivos??

Hello,

My wife and I will be staying in Tulum, and I am now considering our options for getting from the CUN airport to our place in Yulum. I have basically ruled out private transport since I could almost rent a car cheaper. Now I am considering the ADO buses and collectivos. My question is this...if we are to catch a ride on a collectivo, will there be room for our luggage? Appreciate any advice!

Thanks!

by ViajesdelMundo

haven't been to the Cancun area, but when we went to Oaxaca and used a collectivo fr the airport to our hotel up in the hills, it DID have room for luggage. The ADO busses, and similar, all have room of course.

by andera1

Do you know if they charge extra for the luggage?

by ViajesdelMundo

we've never been charged on any busses on any of our trips, but usually only have a max of 3 middle size for the two of us; but I don't think they charge at all for regular luggage. On the ADO, etc, big busses they have a luggage compartment underneath the bus where you are required to stow; not allowed to take it on board, just a small day pack.

by jerry786

Won't everyone traveling this route have luggage? Buses in Mexico don't charge for baggage. Is there any where where there is a charge? (Of course, we said that about airlines, 5 years ago.) Unless you'll be carrying 5 suitcases each, I wouldn't worry

Jerry,
I was sure that the ADO buses would not charge extra for luggage, but I was under the impression that the locals are the main users of the collectivos. To answer you question then, in that case, no-not everyone would be travelling with luggage. Maybe now you understand why I asked the question. But still, thanks for the reply. I think I have my answer now.

To all,
Is there a place at the Cancun airport to catch a collectivo, or is it a better plan just to take an ADO bus from the airport to Playa del Carmen, and then a collectivo from there?

Thanks for the help!

by bigiguana7

Transport from the airport is controlled so only liscenced companies can pick up at the airport. Cheapest is ADO, but still way more expensive than the average ADO trip. 106 pesos. Collectivos are more expensive than the bus for many destinations, but faster. They don't have room for luggage, but you can perhaps sit on it in by the door if it's not too much.

Travel Tips for Tulum

the ruins of Tulum

by call_me_rhia

The ruins of Tulum are not as spectacular as other mayan sites, yet their location overlooking the turqouise sea make them breathtaking and unforgettable - this despite the small size of its buildings.

Tulum is a recently given name: in the mayan language it means wall. This ancient city is in fact surrounded by three stone walls on three sides and the caribbean sea on the last side. its orginal name was Zama, which means dawn. The most impressive sight is the castle, el castillo - which, although not the most important building, is for sure the msot eye-catching. it's located on a natural platform over the sea, and from behind it you can walk down to a wonderful beach - crowded, but among the top three beaches I have been to.

There certainly are Iguanas in Ruinas Tulum.

by Waalewiener

Here is a cutey ,I like to call him Al ,a nice big size Iguana , he could be a she ,I really don't know .
I have no idea why this Iguana is sticking
his / her tongue out to me .
I did not nothing anything ,oh well it is a cutey and a big one ,and by golly Iguanas were everywhere around here .

HOT! HOT! HOT!

by emilienoelle

You barely need any clothes here, but bringing more than one bathing suit is a good idea. Hats and sunglasses are smart, too. Sunblock!! Lots and lots of it, too. Even the kind for your lips. Otherwise you WILL pay.

Groceries ...

by rafgys

If you’re on a low budget trip… staying in the town of Tulum (not by the beach), anything you need to buy… is cheaper off the main avenue. Just walk two or three blocks down both directions and you’ll find everything much cheaper than around the ADO bus station and anywhere along the highway.

Tulum from Playa del Carmen by car

by Dabs

It is a very easy drive on the highway from Playa del Carmen to Tulum but if you are combining Tulum and Xelha there really is no benefit to renting a car as colectivos run all day long so you never have to wait all that long.

If you do decide to drive, familarize yourself with the rules of the road, a quick read through any guide book should be sufficient and check the car for dents and dings before you drive off and make sure they are marked on your rental contract.

Chances are if you rent you will get one of these stylish white classic VW bugs made like they used to in the US :-)

Comments