Tulum Hotels

• SJTravel profile photo SJTravel
  • Reviews: 162

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

El Crucero: Don't Stay Here

El Crucero is a bare bones hotel within about a 10 minute walk to the Tulum Ruins (Archaeological Zone). That is the only reason to stay here. But even that is not worth it because you can stay closer to town for cheaper and then use the money you save to take a taxi to the ruins.
This hotel is partially owned by a Canadian man named Duncan. He was nice enough but he really don't know how to run a hotel. The beds were not comfortable. The rooms were not well lit. They don't have towels. The water is not hot.
Stay at the Weary Traveler in town instead. It is a much better deal.

The only thing I liked about this hotel is Gregorio who works in the El Crucero Restaunt. He is such a nice guy. You can eat at the restaurant without staying at the hotel. In fact, if you are hungry after the ruins, they have a great daily meal deal.

• Written August 5, 2010

• Gimmelwald profile photo Gimmelwald
  • Reviews: 3

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

No name, but have directions - see picture: Cheapest beachfront accomodations in Tulum

The beach is just under a mile directly south of Tulum. To get to it, you need to head south from the Tulum ruins on the main road. Drive approx. two miles. When you get to the stoplight (grocery store on your right), turn left and drive toward the ocean. At the "T" in the road, turn left and drive approx. a mile. There is a scuba/snorkel rental shop on the beach on your right. Next to it are several beach huts. These are very basic grass huts with a mattress inside. The cost was approx. $14 a night. They were damaged in the last hurricane, and being rebuilt. The owner said the price might go up to $20 or $25 dollar. It is much like camping, but on a beautiful beach with great snorkeling/scuba diving. Has been 4 years since I have been there. Hope to check it out again next year, to make sure this information is still accurate,and appreciate any feedback from someone who may visit this beach.

Just a place to sleep, nothing more.

• Related to: Beaches, Arts and Culture, Diving and Snorkeling
  • Written March 20, 2009
Tip Photo

Grass huts on beach near Tulum

• wilocrek profile photo wilocrek
  • Reviews: 584

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Cabana Mirador: A true beach cabana experience!

El Mirador is the first cabana from the road that leads from the Tulum Ruins. It offers the best rates on the beach with a cabana with a hammock going for $12 and a cabana with two beds running about $20 to $25. However the inexpensive rates also mean that the Mirador is also one of the most rustic cabanas on the beach. The cabanas are small, clean, and basic. There is no electricity. They have a very basic shared showering facility. This is not a place for the faint of heart. However if you are used to roughing it the Mirador is a perfect place to call home for a few days. The location is perfect, its only a five minute walk to the Ruins and the beach is basically secluded from the other cabanas. The cliff side cafe offers basic Mexican fare but you can't beat the view and the prices are moderate and the drinks cold. As you can see from the picture the Mirador is a picture perfect place to stay, just don't expect the comforts of home!

• Written December 22, 2007

• gial1 profile photo gial1
  • Reviews: 77

Small cabanas in playa paraiso, Tulum: Cabanas in Tulum

In the most beautiful beach of Tulum there are plenty of cabanas... there is no electricity in them... toilets are shared with others.... but if you want to live in wilderness for a few days, in front of one of the most beautiful beaches of caribbean go there

• Written August 8, 2006

• gial1 profile photo gial1
  • Reviews: 77

Small hotel in the jungle in front of the sea side: KAI KAANA HOTEL

We stayd in a small hotel called Kai Kaana. To reach it it is necessary to go inside the jungle... the hotel is in front of the sea side!!! Excellent restaurant... the service is extremely slow, thiough

excellent restaurant... try tacos dorados or nachos especial

• Written August 8, 2006

• icsgirl28 profile photo icsgirl28
  • Reviews: 19

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Aventura Spa Palace: A Little Slice of Paradise

We stayed for 7 nights at this large resort in a standard room with a garden view. We had a really fantastic time, and I would definitely return, and recommend this hotel. It isn't for everyone, but it was definitely for me!
Rooms: there are only 2 room types; suites with full frontal ocean view, and standard rooms with partial or no ocean view. The rooms are stocked with a mini fridge and a wall mounted bar. Toiletries are Biosilk by Farouk ( I really liked them). All rooms have a furnished patio with a hammock.

Food: The food was probably the lowest point. We did not get sick at all, but the food wasn't tremendous, either. We had a few meals that we really enjoyed, and the rest were good. There are 4 a la carte resteraunts, and 3 buffet. Our favorite was MoMoNoHanna, an Asian restaurant with good sashimi. We went here 3 times during our stay. I generally dislike buffets, but enjoyed these.

Beach/pool: You should know that this resort does not have a beach. There is a man made lagoon. You can snorkle and kayak in it. It was nice. The pools are beautiful and large and meandering. You will love the pools and forget the waves. There are 2 freeform pools outdoors; one on the spa side, which is quieter, and the south pole, which is livelier by way of bands, volleyball games, etc. There is a swim up bar in each. There is also a standard maybe 30'x50' lap pool, along with a smaller rectangular pool for scuba lessons. There is also a current pool outside the spa. There is an indoor pool by the spa also, which is astoundingly beautiful.

Service: The staff was great, not on problem the whole week. Our room was cleaned twice daily very thoroughly, every person from the maintenance man to the reception managers met you with a smile and hello. I have never ever received service like that in the US. These people must have awesome self-control, because I know when I have a bad day, I can't always hide it. Or maybe they just have them work behind the scenes on off days. Who knows, but they're the best staff.

I would say that the most outstanding features of this hotel are the pools and the beauty of the garden areas, including a living maze. The lobbies are simply phenomenal. They will take your breathe away, especially when you look up to see the massive stained glass ceilings.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Spa and Resort
  • Written July 14, 2006

• OrganicNoise profile photo OrganicNoise
  • Reviews: 9

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Zazil-Kin: Stay on the beach!

10$USD to share a four person hut on the beach? It was a rescue from an otherwise desperate situation, as a huge rainstorm had moved in over Tulum after we departed the ruins. Heading south on the trail, we came across Zazil-Kin and were saved, with the help from a pair of exchange students. I have never stayed in a place like this, but apparently they are quite common. It's just a hut with a simple mattress and mosquito netting, no power or running water, but who needs it? The beach is right there, they have a restaurant and nightclub/lounge, and the price is right. The "disco" wasn't open while we were there so I cannot comment on it. The best thing about this place is the beach! Beautiful sand, and what a view! Look up the coast and you can see the ruins of Tulum peeking out of the jungle overlooking the shoreline.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Archeology
  • Written June 28, 2006
Tip Photo

• julesk profile photo julesk
  • Reviews: 10

Hotel Dos Ceibos: Hotel Dos Ceibos

You can see the ocean from your cabana and the service there is great! They are happy to communicate by emails to nail down reservations, etc. We arrived late at night but someone met us to make sure we could get in to our Cabana. The Cabana was lovely with nice details like folding your towels in various poses.

I would recommend this place but remember the breakfast is pricey and so is dinner. Of course, so is everything along the beach; you have to go into Tulum to get reasonably priced food and even then it isn't certain.

You can't charge your battery for a camera in your room but the main office will let you do it while you have breakfast.

Their rates were what they told me via email, unlike other places which will tell you one thing before you stay and then have unexplained additions to the bill when you leave.

Overall, the best points of this place are the proximity to the ocean, kind staff and honest rates.

• Written April 17, 2006

• CatInEurope profile photo CatInEurope
  • Reviews: 26

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Gran Bahia Principe: The Definition of "All Inclusive"

This resort was MASSIVE. It was one property which held 3 different resorts on it: Tulum (we stayed here), Akumal and Coba. All hree accomadate approx - 2500 guests! The food was fabulous, I didn't get sick of the buffet as i usually do at these all inclusive places. We were able to book 3 restaurants out of about 15 on the resort - they we all very good! The acitvities were non stop by the Sports and Entertainment team. The beach was huge, however you could not access much of the water due to the fact that it was quite rocky. My theory is that this was a result of the hurricane a few months ago. They appeared to be filling it up with sand again. Where you could access the water without rocks was lovely. There were fish swimming around you, some of the stripped like tigers! The nights were filled with the shows (not fantastic), but entertaining nevertheless!

The service was great - the room was left immaculaste every day. The bar was stocked with beer and water and juice and chololate bars and chips every day! The staff always served you with enthusiasm and pleasure - despite being all inclusive you wanted to give them a gift because they were so sincere!

One of the greatest things about the resort was the fact that it had a mini town right on the property. We could walk (2 mins from Tulum, the other resorts had to take a shuttle which came every 2 mins) to the Hacienda Dona Isabel. In the Hacienda there were many shops, two bars and the disco. At about 11:00pm the entertainment crew would come and salsa in the square and then move into the disco at midnight. It was much needed since Playa del Carmen was so far.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Family Travel, Spa and Resort
  • Written March 11, 2006

The beach at the Gran Bahia Principe

• call_me_rhia profile photo call_me_rhia
  • Reviews: 4274

cabanas el mirador: very basic accommodation

First of all, let me say that i did not stay at these cabanas. I took a look and decided that they were far too basic and unsafe. Most are also partly destroyed bt the latest hurricane (Wilma, if i am not mistaken). Doors can't be locked and parts of the roofs have big holes in them. There's no toilet facilities, either. Manz people camp on the beach: I guess it's a much better alternative.

The position is unbeatable: they are the nearest cabanas to the Tulum ruins.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Beaches, Archeology
  • Written January 7, 2006

one of the cabanas

• paintedcave profile photo paintedcave
  • Reviews: 9

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Tribal Village: Bare bones beachfront cabinas

We stayed 3 nights in Tulum at Tribal Village. It was very quaint and eclectic which is to say unorganized, rough around the edges, and not maintained very well.

Tribal Village is an enclave of ocean/beach front cabinas.

This place was recommended by me by two different people. I, would NOT recommend this place for anyone except a backpacker with their own tent (at a fee of $5 per person per night). I found the owner of the place to be rude, impatient, curt. Basically just a bit shy of being a ***. Although in the hospitality business, she was anything but hospitable. It seemed like we were inconveniencing her by being there.

The restaurant is extremely overpriced. $8 for a crappy melange of rice and veggies doesn't sit well with me. But, they've got you by the balls. The "city" is 3 miles away and costs $3 in cab fare each way.

The grounds aren't maintained well. If you're going to make me share a bathroom/shower/sink, please be courteous and clean it at least once a day! There were 4 dogs on sight that barked at all hours of the day and night. Their *** was scattered about.

Wilma also took the beach from directly in front of the property and put it a few hundred yards down the coast. At night, some lights in the landscaping beamed right through the sticks into our cabina. I had to stack rocks and palm fronds to block one such light.

I was disappointed on our last day to discover Diamond K cabinas. At a mere $5 more per night, I could have had access to their beautifiul setting with a private swimming cove and beach. chaise lounges, etc. A nice restaurant, and a "lounge" which was simply low profile tables and chairs on the rocks by the sea. This place looked nice and the staff was extremely friendly.

Also, I looked at this place online before the trip. I found the website to be utterly inconsistent with what I actually saw when I got there.

All these eccentricities attracted a unique blend of people. While there we met a variety of folks: the tatooed hypnotist jeweler from NYC, friendly backpacking Canadians, and a super stoned ex-pat from Boston who was cruising around aimlessly.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Study Abroad
  • Written December 22, 2005

Landscape of Tribal Village in Tulum

• FrontSeatDriver profile photo FrontSeatDriver
  • Reviews: 3

Stone Tree Little Ceynote: A Hidden Treasure

Quaint, comfortable dwelling. You feel like you're part of the community. Nestled in the little town, of Tulum, you find a jungle oasis including a main house (sleeps 6) and a guest house (sleeps 2.) We had a full kitchen with range top and microwave...pots and pans and dishes included. 1 bathroom with very large shower in the main house and 1 bath with shower in the guesthouse. Guest house had air conditioning, while the main did not, but the fans usually kept it pretty cool. The roosters start crowing at 2am and continue past dawn. If you're on the ground floor, you might be able to sleep through it, but the loft is amplified! Maid service comes once or twice a week...and she's very thourough! We found all of our clothes folded and put away!

There is a beautiful garden growing throughout the property. A small sitting pool with fountain is located in the courtyard. There is also a rooftop deck for lounging. You can't beat the price.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Arts and Culture, Jungle and Rain Forest
  • Written November 22, 2005

Our Front Door

• Enzyme_X profile photo Enzyme_X
  • Reviews: 378

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Cabañas ''Sol Maya'': ''Mayan Sun''

In Tulum you have two options when looking for a place to stay: in the town or on the beach. We decided to stay in town. The place we wanted to go first was full so we started to look around and got lucky immediately. We found this cabaña settlement. They were weel built, with mosquito protection, fan and TV. And I couldn't complanit about the common bathroom. We payed 250 pesos for 4 of us per night.

• Related to: Beaches, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written October 24, 2005

caba��as

• metteks profile photo metteks
  • Reviews: 207

Santa Fe: Cabañas and hammock space at the beach

I slept in my hammock at a place called Santa Fe. It is located around 1-2 kilometres outside the town of Tulum, but it is very close to the ruins.

It was great to lie in my hammock at night and listen to the waves and watch the stars.

Santa Fe also have cabañas, the are rustic with sand floors and walls with gabs in them.

When I was there in year 2001, the prices for a hammock space was 30 pesos (around $2,5) and for a bed in a dormitory 50 pesos.

The cabañas of Santa Fe flow together with the cabañas of all the other places along the beach. Thet all make up a complex of restaurants, cab stand, pay phone and a small shop.

Santa Fe has its own restaurant. There are some toilets and communal showers with cold saltwater. That wasn't so great as I never really felt clean.
The reception at Santa Fe will store your backpack if you slep in your hammock at the beach.

The ruins of Tulum is close to Santa Fe, you can walk there in 10-15 minutes and the beach and blue water is great.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written September 16, 2005

The caba��as at Santa Fe

• Focoloco profile photo Focoloco
  • Reviews: 1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

El Paraiso: El Paraiso the worse....

I can't believe they charged me for use of the beach chairs WHILE I STAYED THERE. Not very welcoming. I would definately NOT go back.

• Written July 5, 2005