Maya Tankah by Freedom Paradise

3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Carretera Cancun Tulum KM 237, Punta Soliman, Tulum, Yucatan Peninsula, 77780, Mexico

AMOMA.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 53% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• jolliette's Profile Photo

Not a bad place

We stayed at the Freedom Paradise for one week with an all inclusive package. It was a nice place. Not five star, but we were not expecting five star.

All areas of the resort were very close to the beach, the rooms were small but comfortable, the staff were friendly but spoke little english, and the food was good (great hot chocolate!).

The beach was nice, although the sand was sharp as it was coral sand. They had some activities such as snorkeling, kayaking, and volleyball... but not much more than that. There were 3 pools and the drinks were fantastic.. not big but you could have as many as you wanted.

There were a lot of Europeans when I was there, apparently they have phases where many europeans take vacation there.

The service was a little slow at times, but I have no huge complaints about the place. I felt it was a great resort for our needs. There are no golf courses, discos, spas etc... but if you want that you will pay for it at a 5 star place.

Unique Quality: Proximity of all rooms to the beach. Not all rooms had beach views, but the beach was only a few steps away.

There is a pelican feeding every day, which can be fun. It gets old after a while though.

More about Maya Tankah by Freedom Paradise

You must read this about freedom paradise

by TripAdvisor Member bimmerman

My wife and I just arrived home early this morning from our 10 day vacation at Freedom Paradise, and let me tell you I was skeptical but already booked my trip before I found this web site travelocity. A good half of these comments are not good ones but let me say I dont really know were the bad comments are comming from. Our trip was spectacular!!
Our first night in our plane was delayed in huston because of bad weather which put us 2 1/2 hours behind. After the dog and pony show at the airport we finnaly arrived at freedom paradise at 9:00 we were hungry, tired and irritable. We were greeted at the front desk with smiles and a bell boy to take our bags to our room. We opened the door to our room and yes the rooms are small like everyone says but really if your going to mexico for a vacation to stay in your room.... You have tooooo much money and time to waste. Our view from the hotel room was just incredible. The bell boy finished carrying up our bags and yes we did tip him read all of this review and you will find out why tipping is worth it for you and your vacation. After The bell boy left I coulndt figure out the air conditioning, so I called from dest and the said the would send someone right away. We were hungry so We went down to the resteraunt were we met George (yorge) our favorite waiter. This place has juice and water self serve buffet style, but over the entire time we never had to get out of our seats at dinner. yeorge was just excellent and when you go you will definatley know who he is as a waiter. Very energetic and attentive. We tipped him as well.(read on)Now the food. Remember you are in a different country If you want Mcdonalds and TGI fridays stay in the concrete jungle of cancun. They serve mexican style food with a little westurn flavor but my wife and I did miss a few things Like cheddar cheese and real Alberta Beef. We did go into Cancun for a tour one day and wanted what we could get a home Pizza Hut!!!!! Let me tell you that was the worst pizza I have ever tasted. Nothing Like what we have at home. I am not complaning here, I am just letting you know that the people who complain about food Need to stay in a condo type place and cook there own three times a day and snacks in between. We met Juan that night as well he is the Top Waiter (Waitstaff Manager) Speaks english as good as I!!! He as well made our trip a pleasureable one.
After Dinner time to hit the bar No real premiums here, But I have yet to find an all inclusive under 1700 per person cdn that does. We had a few drinks and then went back to our AIR CONDITIONED ROOM!! every thing was working as it should he left a note on a little remote controll that I missed ( thats what turned it on) Yes the beds are hard if you havent already read it, but surprizingly comfortable.
The next morning we get up have a shower and for you to know C is Hot and f is cold (we didnt figure that out till the third day!!!) After our cold shower(our fault) went downstairs for breakfast. Yorge greeted us by name and showed us a table. after we got our food from the breakfast buffet there was water and juice already on our table!!! (Remember self serve) and yorge smiling asking if we needed anything else. The Juan comes around the corner said hi by name !!!! Both Juan and yorge have known us for a total of 5 - 10 min and they know us by name the next day!!! After breakfast we asked Juan what should we do for fun. what would he recomend. He was right everything he said we did Xcaret, Tulum ruins. Coba Ruins we this list goes on. The first 3 days Great Service Good food (considering) we went and toured the Mayan area of Mexico. (Lots to see. rent a car. Caution Driving)
The 3rd afternoon is when we met Jesus, Daniel, and George. They are the Entertainment staff for the resort and Very Very fun. Throughout our stay we played games like Name that tune, The perfect couple(very Fun) They did shows like fire dancing, Mayan Plays. Well There was something every night. What was really impressive is that freedom paradise has people from all over the worls staying there and the entertainment guys would speak almost any language!!!

The Sorkiling is absolutly amazing. Sting rays, Tropical fish, star fish, The odd baracuda (stay as far away as you can but dont be afraid they wont hurt you but are not scared of you either. They wont swim away from you they wont swim to ytou they will stay were they are and you have to go around them DONT WORRY THEY WONT HURT YOU) Angel fish well the list goes on and on) Take the snokeling tour the first time you go out and they will show you the reef, after that, swim out there on your own if your a strong swimmer.

The beach is wonderfull A few shells in some areas but hey thats the ocean for you!!! The beach is very clean, and no worrys about getting a nice lounge chair on the beach. If you dont like swimming in the ocean jump one of the many pools the have there. Chances are big you will be the only one in there!!! Very nice very peacefull very private. If you get too hot and need a drink go to the pelicano bar on the beach and if you tipped the bartender he will have seen you comming and have your favorite drink alreay made by the time you get to the bar. (SERVICE)

All in all we made many friends at the resort. Mostly staff that we will keep in contact with via email. and Some guests. There was definatly language barrier with some of the guests but Jesus and Daniel were always there to interpritate. I rate this place a 6 star for service and smiles. the food a 5 star (considering you are in a different country and the Dairy is different, the meat is different etc) The room a 3 star ( lacks a mini fridge and english speaking channels limited to 1) But like I said How often do you stay in your room!!! The weather is always good and if it starts to rain just take cover for 5 mins and it will go away. I did read something about bugs. Someone coplained about bugs in the room. I have one thing to say about that. YOU ARE 25 FEET FROM THE OCEAN, YOU ARE IN THE CARIBEAN. WHAT DO YOU EXPECT WHEN YOU LEAVE THE SCREEN DOOR OPEN?????!!!!! We did leav the screen door open one day and yes out room was full of bugs . Remeber the tipping thing. I called down to the front desk asked for some raid the bell boy came almost immediatly. Thats all it took.!!!!!!
when it was time to leave The bell boy knew it so he kept an eye on our room. He must have been watching for some time because we were checking out a lillte late. As soon as he seen me bringing my bags down to the side walk he ran over helped me with the bags, and brought the to the front desk.
The entertainment guys met us at the bar to say goodbye with a bottle of wine which I won at one of the games. I opened it right there and poured all my new friends a little bit of wine. 1/2 glass each and the bottle was done! we had a toast to freindship a big teary hug.
I will never forget Freedom Paradise and in Mexico Thats were i will stay again. If you have any questions You must email me agilmar@telus.net

Paradise

We just got back from Tulum Mexico. We stayed at the Freedom Paradise. What a beautiful place. There is alot of Mayan history. I read some real disturbing articles about this Hotel. From my point of view they were wrong. I and my husband had a beautiful time. We were very impressed with how wonderful we were treated. We arrived Jan 5,2005 and departed Jan 12th. We have already rebooked with our 3 youngest teenagers for March 26 for spring break. They like us can't wait to go and we can't wait to return. Our room was always clean and no bugs. The food was good and all the staff always tried to please us. We met some of the nicest people from all over the world. We fell in love with the people from Tulum. I never dreamed that their was a place as beautiful. We are not rich,but this was very afforable.

We had a great time, fantastic staff

We had a great trip at Freedom Paradise Maya Rivera over the Christmas Holidays. The Hotel Staff was very friendly and helpful. We spent 11 nights there, and found it to be very relaxing. It was our first experience with a "all inclusive" vacation. We were not disappointed. The food offered was of very good quality, with lots of choices. There were plenty of fruits and vegetables and healthy alternatives, as well as meats, pasta seafood and salads. Food and beverage service was available from 7:00 AM to 10 PM, and one of beach bars would stay open late, till midnight or 1 AM. Bottled water is provided in room, and on the walkways to the rooms. We never suffered any illness or stomach troubles, as is sometimes the case in Latin America.
There is an Ecology and Culture manager who provides informative free snorkel tours to the coral reef, and to the nearby cenote springs, as well as meditation groups, yoga and Tai-Chi. He also provided ID charts of the fish, bird and coral species found on the resort, and would point them out. We appreciated these services very much, as we have a great interest in the natural environment.
The hotel provided information and an activities staff. There were fun activities provided by the wonderful activities staff, and a weekly activities schedule is published and posted in the lobby, with such items as Spanish lessons, dance classes, and bingo.
Entertainment such as Live Music, Salsa Dancing Performance and an interesting group of Mayan Dancers is sometimes provided in the evenings.
Any problems or needs we may have had were quickly attended to by the Reception, Maintenance and Housekeeping staff.
I seldom respond to customer satisfaction surveys, but was compelled to in this case, as the entire Staff at this hotel property truly put out a 100 percent effort to provide the guests with an exceptional vacation.
Thanks Freedom Paradise Riviera Maya,
Sincerely, Dennis M. Point Reyes Station, California

We had a great vacation here

We spent 2 weeks at Freedom Paradise, Dec.28/04-Jan.11/05, and really enjoyed ourselves. The staff members at this resort couldn't have been better to us, and we looked forward everyday to seeing who was going to be on duty. The ocean and beach are beautiful, and there is an amazing amount of marine life to be seen while snorkelling in shallow water, right off the beach. A near- by cenote, within walking distance, also provided amazing snorkelling. The gardens are beautiful and well kept. The resident iguanas could be easily tempted to come out to have their picture taken, by leaving a hibiscus near their home. The sea birds are there to watch every day as you lounge on the beach
or by a pool. Flamingos could be seen passing overhead. We found the food to be very good, at all meals. There was always lots of variety, many healthy choices, and some decadent ones as well! We have stayed at other all-inclusives before that were not nearly as good as this. Also, the staff were excellent. Despite this being self-serve, we regularily had our drinks replenished, and dirty dishes rarely sat in front of us for more than a moment. Our rooms were small, as we had expected. We didn't go there with the intention of spending much time in our room, so they were fine. When you drive up the gravel road to Freedom Paradise, and see the front of the resort for the first time, you might feel a sense of disappointment, especially if you have been on a bus that has dropped other tourists off at other destinations that looked much more elaborate. Once you get into the lobby, are greeted with a friendly smile, catch your first glimpse of the ocean with the sun sparkling on it, hopefully you'll get the sense that you are in for a big treat, as we did.

Good, low priced beachfront resort

by TripAdvisor Member Pualvr

I stayed at Freedom Paradise from December 18-23, 2004. I read many reviews on this site with much trepidation and felt compelled to put in my two cents after my experience. I've stayed at a fairly wide variety of accomodations around the world and do not expect US standards when I travel to third world countries. That being said, for the money, the resort provides good service and a beautiful beach setting. The rooms were clean, a little worn, but still nice. The housekeeper always left cute towel "origami" animals made with flowers-a nice touch. The sewer smell that is mentioned in other reviews is due to the Mexican sewer system and not a reflection of the hotel's lack of cleanliness, many Mexican hotels have this issue. The bar only has low quality well liquor, I would have paid for an upgrade for premuim brands. The food was decent, I did not expect the Ritz as far as the buffet went, but it was fine. The other restaurant was only open one night and it was not clear when and how to make reservations. The staff was friendly and went out of their way to make us happy. Don't expect English speaking staff, most knew only rudimentary English-which was interesting with my rudimentary Spanish. Also, there were mostly "average" sized people at the resort. I would stay there again.

Has potential if improvements are made

by TripAdvisor Member TravellingTracy

My mother and I visited Freedom Paradise Resort Oct 16-22. I had been to Cancun twice before and decided to go somewhere a little different. Well, different is what I got. When we turned the corner of the gravel road we took to get to the resort I knew it was going to be a adventure. The resort was very low key. The grounds were very pretty and the beach was great but the resort itself needs some improvements. First of all it needs more variety in the food. They had only 1 restaurant open...Chula Vista. It was breakfast, lunch, and dinner buffet. The food wasn't all that tasty. Some days were better than others but overall the food wasn't real good quality. The rooms were small but did the trick. Our room was in the "grass hut" section of the resort. I was surprised because I never saw any pictures of that section. It was nice but we saw little lizards go in and out of our roof. The beds were extremely hard. I think I'm going to have to go to the chiropractor because of it...:) The rooms have a telephone and a t.v. There is no alarm clock but if you look on your t.v. and go to the menu section you can set the t.v. to turn on and that did fine substituting for the alarm clock. The service was fine. Our rooms were made up everyday with fresh towels and floors swept. The only thing I didnt care for was the door locks were not all that good. No dead bolt and no security box in the room..(I think you can request one) The service in the restaurant was fine. The waiters were there to take your used dishes and to fill up your drinks. The Chula Vista bar was good. I don't know the name of the girl who made our drinks but she did a very good job. The GuacaMaya was great! Overall the resort was good if you are travelling on a budget. It's not a run down resort by any means. I am a very discriminating traveller and I felt it was a o.k. resort. I don't really understand the concept of the resort being a "size friendly" resort because while I was there I only saw about 6 people out of the 40 that was there that was plus size and I was 1 of them. The resort is very far from anything so if your going to shop don't go because there is no shopping near it. Best thing to do is schedule a tour to Lapis and Playa del Carmen. It only cost us $3 USD per person. We took a shopping tour to Cancun for $30 USD pp. If you have any questions about the resort feel free to email me.

Pleasant Surpriser

Have just returned from a one week stay at the Freedom Paradise resort. I must say this is a very nice three star hotel. Immacualte, friendly, and just close enough to all the major attractions of the Yucatan.

This property is in the process of becoming a hidden paradise. One might be a bit leary as you turn off the highway onto the gravel driveway, but that is just cosmetics, and they are in the process of improving it.

The minute you step into the foyer of the hotel, you are greetd by the most pleasant front desk staff I have had the pleasure of meeting. I have travelled Mexico extensively and stayed at 1- Platinum rated properties, but this wee resort wins 5 stars for friendly, co-operative staff.

The rooms are about what you would get in a stay at Motel 8 or similar chain, but they are so spotlessly clean. HUGE kingsize beds. The bathrooms are a nice size, with a bench to sit on. TONS of hot water, anytime of day. Each room has a lovely patio or balcony with a HUGE hammock and chair. Very nice.

The food is plentiful. Always a homemade soup, salads, potatoes/rice and pasta. Chicken, beef and pork everymeal. Wonderful fresh breads, buns and desserts. And always fresh fruits. Your wine glass or beer glass or coffee cup will never be empty. Snacks at the pool palapas, and tea in the afternoon with pasteries and sandwiches. Your every need is anticipated during meals. All in all, the food is your typical all inclusive fare. I have definitely had worse at better resorts.

There are lots of water sports right at the resort. We did a lot of snorkeling right off the beach and found it to be just as good as what we paid $50US for with a tour company.

Let's talk tour companies. As most experienced travellers know, your tour company is not necessarily your best bet for your money. We used the front desk of the hotel and hired locals for a fraction of the price. Ask for Marco, he will set you up with very safe, reliable persons to take you just about wherever you wish to go.

As for the marketing campaign geared towards oversized crowd, please don't be put off by that. There are folks of all sizes there and everyone had a great time. We admired that the staff were very courteous and friendly to the larger clientelle and made them feel so beautiful and at ease. I am a small person and my husband is your typical 6 foot 200 pound man, and we were all treated equally.

To sum up, give this one a try before it catches on and the prices soar. This resort is definitely a five star attitude. You should go!!

Drop me a line if you have any questions.

Worst place I've ever stayed

If you like flies all over the food, sewer gas in your bathroom, dirty tablecloths and bed linen, cold showers, cold food, cold coffee, sour milk, struggling to get a drink at the only bar open because there's no beer, co2, barman, if you like poor recycled food at the only buffet because they don't open the a la carte restaurant ever!
If you like LOUD rap music full of four letter word profanity while you beg for a drink, if you like watching flies in their death throes in the yogurt or on the syrup bottle
THIS IS THE PLACE FOR YOU!!!!
It certainly was not for us and we left as fast as we could, we couldn't stand it and we CAN rough it, we went to the Yukon in a tent this summer. we have stayed at 2 star resorts that were palaces compared to this place, I could go on about a lot of other faults but these are the main ones. We honestly worried we would get ill, and actually did, Be warned pay a bit more and get a 4 or 5 star resort, this place only merits a black star!!!

Still disappointed (and ill)

This place was truly awful! I wish I could say the problems there were "liveable", but they aren't.

The horrible food was infested with flies. We became ill right away, and not from the water.

The room reeked of sewer and was not clean. The sheets actually had BLOOD on them. The beds were rock-hard, and the bedding was not clean (in addition to the blood). The "hot" water was warm at best.

We spent too much time waiting on the employees to fix the window (large front window with no lock), toilet ran and wouldn't flush.

The property boasts about numerous pools (all about 3 feet deep) and bars (open rarely), the promotions are misleading. There is no concierge and the desk clerks are not particularly motivated to help.

My daughter and I were SO disappointed. We trusted Suntrips on their rating of the hotel, but we were sorely disappointed when we saw the place. Suntrips told me there was a 1 1/4 hour transfer to the hotel, but it was twice that. We skipped the transfer back to the airport and rented a car to avoid another trip on the bus.

The hotel makes a stab at being an "ecotourism" resort, but their efforts don't amount to a good eco-vacation either. In touring the area, we found places for 1/2 the price (Akumal and Playa del Carmen) that looked much much better.

Comments