Maya Tulum Retreat & Resort

Km. 7 Carr. Tulum-Boca Paila, Tulum, Yucatan Peninsula, 77780, Mexico

More about Maya Tulum Retreat & Resort

Not all bad, but mostly really bad

The original plan was a 5 night MBS (mind, body, spirit) trip with one additional night. That's not what ultimately I chose to accept and am compelled to write about this trip so that others can avoid a similar misadventure. I should point out that we received a full refund from Maya Tulum. I am pleased with that. Our trip ended well as we had the luck of landing a great hotel room in Cancun, despite the fact that the better hotels were largely sold out. Believe me, it took some doing with cell phone calls back to the states and pleading with hotels to land a room. I'd feel badly for someone in our circumstances that did not get the benefit of same so here's my story with supporting photos.

The website for this locale is pure artistry- if not somewhat fictional. I agree with the dead fish beach review and would add further that cabana 9 is a pure dump. I stayed one night only because we arrived late and I thought it was right to give the place a chance though my first impression was to run for the hills. I could not stomach the place. The bathroom had standing water and the overwehlming scent of the dank hut was must, mold and mildew. It's not spare- it's substandard. Travel & Leisure ranked it a 10 among spa resorts including several that I have enjoyed. There is something wrong with the fact that this resort, a term I'd use loosely, is even on the same page with the others.

Alternatively, for $200 per night one can stay at the JW Marriott (4.5 stars) in Cancun and enjoy a wonderful full service spa, with yoga & pilates classes among others. We did. It was delightful.

The most magical thing about it is the website!

by TripAdvisor Member bdaysun

Wow. I had the identical experience to the person who wrote the last posting. Right down to moving to the JW Marriott in Cancun! This place was recommended to me by a friend who returns every year. So I went with 2 friends in tow. The place is nothing like the enticing website! I am into the "rustic" vacation and have been to several charming "eco-lodges" in the past (mosquito netting, little huts) So I dig the nature trip. But the lodgings here aren't charming! We stayed in cabana 1. It is right on the beach, so you can hear the surf, which is nice. But as soon as we sat on the beach we noticed a sewerage smell that did not blow away. I think we must have been near a septic tank or something. Other parts of the beach smelled ok. When we asked the front desk, they said it was seaweed, which was a complete lie! I have never smelled seaweed like that!! and I am a beach person. They didn't offer to move us either, so we just stayed.
The staff is pretty indifferent. Even upon arrival, there was no hospitable vibe. Our room wasn't ready and we were told to go wait in the restaurant. There was no "orientation speech", like "The spa is here, dinner is served in these hours, etc" I never really notice staff service when I travel but it struck me that when it's good, you don't really notice it! You sort of expect a smile at least. The service in the restaurant is really slow as well. The food is just ok. The menu doesn't change at all from night to night.
Also, a long stretch of the beach has a big brown layer of seaweed in the water. It didn't bother me, but my friend didnt' like it. And just so you know, you can't flush toilet paper there! Again, I've stayed in places like that, but I think my friends have not. I'm just putting that out there as a warning. And if you get sick, as I did, that's not fun! (This is beginning to sound almost comical, but I did get Montezuma's the 2nd night there. Maybe that's a function of not being in a major resort town. I don't know.)
On a positive note, my friends really liked the massages they got. Myra was a great masseuse. And they liked the yoga class. (I was too sick to go!) After yoga, my friend said "Now I get this place." Cause if you're really into yoga, that's the main reason to go. I was thinking it would be a good place to go as a single person who just wants to get away and not be surrounded by honeymooners, as is often the case in the Caribbean. It would be good for a solitary trip. But you could do better. I would have toughed it out there, but my friend couldn't stand it. We moved to Cancun, which wasn't off the beaten path, like the original purpose of the trip, but it wasn't as cheesy as I'd feared either.Turned out to be relaxing. And Maya Tulum let us go without charging us for the full trip. I think I would have given a slightly better rating if there wasn't such a disparity between the website and the actual place. It seemed like false advertising to me...

Stinky, unfinished and unfriendly!

by TripAdvisor Member zarinigirl

I wish I'd read the postings on here before I booked Maya Tulum!!!! My boyfriend and I got completely sucked in by the beautiful website but when we got there it was nothing like that. First of all, they separate their room rates by Ocean Front, Beach View and Garden View - there is no mention of Standard, Superior or Deluxe. The assumption we made was that the rooms were essentially the same as the gorgeous travel and leisure style photographs on the web page, but that the price varied based upon location. That was mistake #1. We had a garden view cabana (#31), a damp, unsealed shack (ripe with mosquitos) that looked nothing like the one pictured on the site (not "chic" to be sure!) except that it had the mosquito net. Our bathroom was separated from the room only by some beads and a wall made of rows of wood - you could see the person lying in bed from the toilet - and they could see you - romantic. I didn't mind the open shower or not being able to flush paper, I did mind that I had absolutely no privacy in terms of the toilet. And then the thing broke. It would not flush - despite that neither of us put paper in it. We let the unfriendly staff at the front desk know that it would not flush and they sent someone to fix it, but after the first flush it was broken again, only this time it was late and the only person at the front desk was a security guard. We spent the rest of the time with the back of the toilet tank off and had to reach in and adjust the ball-cock everytime we wanted to flush. The septic stink in the garden was also a super huge turn-off and the brown sea weed in the water led us to search out other places on the beach to spend our day (up near Ana y Jose and Esmeralda was the nicest spot we found). All this aside, the staff was disinterested, grumpy even and never smiled at us once (with the strong exception of Victor, Manuel and the lovely woman who cleaned our room but whose name I never got - they were all very sweet and helpful). We spent most of our time there at the other hotels for meals (Zamas was delicious!) and other beaches to relax. I had wanted to take a yoga class, but I was so turned off by the people there I opted to leave the hotel as soon as I woke in the morning and stay away until bed time. Also, we had planned to be there for 3 days, but our plans changed and we thought (before we arrived) we might extend the stay by another 2 days. We asked upon check in if we could stay longer and they said yes, but after one day, we knew we did not want to be there and left as soon as the 3 nights we had guaranteed were up. We went back to Playa del Carmen and the loveliest staff and hotel you could wish to stay at - Hotel La Tortuga. I will say that the one meal we had in the Maya Tulum restaurant was really good and fresh and I did appreciate the fresh water in the room, but I would NEVER stay at this hotel again and I would NEVER recommend it to anyone. Mistake #2 was not checking out the minute we checked in (we got a bad vibe within the first 30 minutes). I enjoy simple and rustic, but not stinky, unfinished and unfriendly.

2 thumbs up!!!

by TripAdvisor Member vacationingmom

Stayed there a whole week with my husband. Beach was clean beautiful, water crystal clear quiet and warm. Our room was soooo great, simple but very clean and functional, blew my mind to see the sun come out of the ocean while on my bed. Food is great, vegetarian and fish seafood dishes are equally great and healthy. Smoothie selection is fantastic. Yoga classes I enjoyed very much, I set my mind on practicing from then on. Spa treatments are out of this world, therapists are top quality. Staff was very friendly and went out of their way to please us. Highly recommend the Biosphere tour, floating through the lagoon canals was really a unique experience. I returned home renewed. Very peaceful resort, surely will go again, with our children next time. (I was even able to buy lots of gifts for the family with the excellent price they sell their mind, body, spirit package.)

Glad to share my review....2 thumbs up!!! Wish I was still there.

Rustic Paradise

by TripAdvisor Member redrocker

After a week at Maya Talum resort I've found it a lovely, relaxing vacation on the beach. I've been to another R&R resort, Pura Vida Spa several times and was excited to experience this yoga retreat on the Yucatan pennisula. I have not been disappointed. Although the two spas have different locations, different cultures, and "feels" both are excellent.
I loved waking in the morning in the ocean front cabana to the sound of surf and wind. Early in the morning, as the sun was rising several workers would be out raking hte beach and hauling off unsightly seaweed. The result was a beautiful pristine white-sand beach. It was a pleasure sitting out on the front porch watching pelicans and other sea birds diving in the blue-green waters.
The food at the restaurant is an excellent combination of vegetarian and seafood. The breakfast eggs with mole are to die for; the banana flambe is an evening event enjoyed by all. I found the waiters very accomodating with special dietary requests. Often they would joke; they were always pleasant and attentive.
The spa treatments are excellent. The attendants are receptive to special accomodations and give helpful health tips, when requested.
The evening salsa instructors are some of the best I've encountered in Latin Ameria--a fun evening for those ready to take advantage of it.
The receptionist staff was very helpful in planning trips to the local ruins. They adjusted the schedule when necessary to work around the weather. They were also helpful in planning non-resort trips. One Of on eht ebest of these was the all day excursion to Sian Kaan the ecological biosphere. Well worth the trip.
Even the housekeeping staff seemed to have a pleasant smile in the morning and did their work efficiently and cheerfully.
All in all this was a wonderful vacation with a good balance of yoga, body treatents, local culture, and beach fun. I had bought into the R&R resort VIP package several years ago and I have not been disappointed. I'm considering buying into another package. That's how good this experience has been.

Great Place

We've been vacationing on the Mayan Riviera for three days and by luck ran into this hotel. I normally don't take time to share my experience with others (a guy thing I suppose). But I'm having such a good time I can hardly wait to tell others to follow our steps.

When we checked in, the staff was all very polite and friendly. We got a room for four (a pitching wedge away from the beach). At a price more reasonable than some of the others were quoting. The accommodations are very nice and roomy. No telephone or TV, and my kids haven't even noticed that it’s missing. My wife has irreproachable standards when it comes to cleanness particularly in the bathroom. And everything passed her test 100%.
Unlike some hotels/resorts in the area they have electricity all night. No they don't have AC. But the high thatched roofs, ceiling fans, and constant sea breeze makes the evening very delightful.

The central dinning room and bar is right on the ocean and servers good food, deserts and drinks.

Tonight after dinner I returned to the dinner room and used my laptop and wireless card (free connectivity) to send some photos back home but was interrupted when we all rush outside to watch a giant sea turtle lay her eggs on the beach right in front of our room. How’s that for enhanced experience? If we don't have any more turtles tonight I might get this review finished!

The hotel is just a short drive from the city of Tulum, and no vacation would be complete without an early evening trip to barter with the many merchants, or dinner at several good restaurants on the principal avenue.
If you want to live a real Mexican moment try this hotel. If you need HBO and cold air stay in Cancun or better yet go to Miami. As for us give a warm breeze, cool hotel and great memories.

Amazing Hotel- feedback on some of the critical comments posted here

by TripAdvisor Member Hjepp

I just returned from Maya Tulum and I feel like a new person- me and my boyfriend could not have been happier- the place is all what we were looking for and I am happy I did not take into account the critical comments on tripadvisor that I read before going there- usually I find tripadvisor to be the best place to get information before the trip and I am quite surprised about the comments that 2-3 people wrote.

I think it might have to do with what type of person you are and what type of holidays you are looking for- if one is looking for the traditional American Cancun holiday, with all the same amenities you can find in any hotel in the US or staff that is constantly going after you to ask you about everything Maya Tulum would not be the place for you- if one is looking for a relaxing holiday without much of the city crazyness, staff that is friendly but not "over" friendly, a beach almost for yourself and not a single noise more than the sea- Maya Tulum would be it- and I feel really sorry for the hotel owners that they got "Cancun" people to their hotel that wrote reviews that might endanger their business.

I have been to many of the mexican beaches, and I would say this one is one of the best ones- we walked for close to an hour every morning without encountering a single person, our cabana (nr 12) was right on the beach (pricewise we compared it to several other similars and we paid $150/night whereas most other cost around $250/night) and we would wake up every morning to the sound of the sea- amazing-

The food is delicious- very healthy and extremely cheap for the type of quality you get- you can also just walk on the beach to a few of the other cabana places for other types of food- Italian, thai, etc.

The spa treatments were fabulous (I am a spa owner myself and now quality when I get it)- I had a 90 min deep tissue massage with an aestetician who was as good as any that I have been to in the US-

It was so romantic in the real sense that my boyfriend proposed to me while we were there!!!

Of course there were things that could be improved- like I would have loved the beach to have more hammocks, but all in all I would give it a 5 star rating- I would recomend anyone that looks for a "real" holiday to go there- (i'll attach some of my pictures so you can see for yourself)

Peaceful and Gorgeous

by TripAdvisor Member jmayfield

I recently surprised my mom with a 5-day trip to Maya Tulum and we loved every minute of it. We found it incredibly peaceful in our beachfront cabana and the staff was very accommodating. (When our ceiling fan didn't work, the staff immediately moved us to another cabana....one even bigger and closer to the water!) The food was delicious, very healthy and served by the most charming waiters who made my Mom feel like a queen.
We did yoga everyday with two lovely teachers and enjoyed massages listening to the waves.

I would describe Maya Tulum as a no-fuss spa where the focus remains on the natural surroundings and the people of Mexico. Only two pieces of advice when booking...book your cabana on the south side of the beach, and pack some strong bug spray if you're going during the rainy season. (If you forget, as I did, the front desk will provide you with some.) And definitely take a swim. The water and waves are rejuvenating! Mom and I plan to go back as soon as we can.

#1 Wellness Resort

Maya Tulum is unique in many ways. It's definitely not a typical spa or a resort. I went there by a referral and highly recommend it. It's simple yet everthing is there. One of the great things about this resort is their Mind Body Spirit program. it's a combination of wellness activities, accomodation and food. The rooms are great yet simple. The beach is, well, it's carribean. But the food is one of the best things about this place. It's mostly vegetarian but the locally grown fruits and vegetables are simply nourishing. The staff is friendly and professional. Its hard to keep the balance of professional service mindset with authenticiy but at Maya Tutlum they have achieved this balance.

Maya Tulum is a Mellow Treasure

This place is a treat if you want a vacation that slows things way, way down. Truly beautiful surroundings with one of the best beaches on which I've had the pleasure of snoozing. The photo tour on the website is a very accurate depiction. The rustic hut accomodations are charming - simple, comfortable, and clean. The beachfront cabanas are definitely the best in terms of view and proximity to water - so close to the ocean, it's almost too loud at night! If you expect designer soaps & shampoos, plush towels, etc, this is NOT for you. No TV or radio, so bring your own tunes! If you stick to the list of items they tell you to bring along, you will not feel like you are missing a thing. With one exception, the staff was friendly and helpful. The food in the main house is incredible - healthy and fresh - and the restaurant staff members were all extremely pleasant. The MBS package is the way to go, with all the yummy food included, plus as much yoga as you can stand! The classes are good - if a little slow - teachers very nice, and the room, mats, etc are in good shape. MBS also includes one activity and one spa treatment - which is an excellent deal. One of the nicest things about Maya Tulum is the clientele it attracts - everyone I met was outgoing, relaxed, and very happy to be there. All in all, I can't wait to go back!

Comments