Mezzanine

Carretera Tulum a Boca Paila , Km 1.5 , Tulum, Quintana Roo, 77780 , Mexico

More about Mezzanine

Just incredible

by TripAdvisor Member blaxx

I just want to say how amazing Mezzanine is.
I have travelled extensively and this has the be one of the best hotels in one of the most beautiful places in the world!

The service was first class, always ready to help you with everything. The rooms were bautifully decorated, with a loft and so comfortable.
The food was delicious...I could go on and on, but, looking around Tulum, no other hotel looked even clolse to this gem.

There is only four suites in Mezzanine, so book early and be one of the lucky guests to stay there, you'll never forget staying there, I certainly won't!

Perfect start to our honeymoon

by TripAdvisor Member Manwaring

We spent 5 days in Mezzanine at the start of our honeymoon. There are 4 rooms overlooking the beach which were absolute perfection. The rooms are decorated in a modern way but reflect the theme of the ocean. You fall asleep to the gentle sound of the ocean waves.

The staff are perfectly attentative, willing to leave you alone or cater to your every whim (e.g, cocktails brought to you in the pool, fresh water, help with local restaurants etc).

The restaurant serves mainly thai food which, while it is not local cuisine, it is of a very high standard. We both recommend the pad thai.

In short, we are quite well travelled and both believe that the Mezzanine is as close to paradise as we have ever seen. As somebody who was entrusted with organising the honeymoon, I couldn't have chosen a better place.

Fabulous time at Mezzanine!

by TripAdvisor Member catmom37

We stayed at Mezzanine Aug 7-12th, and were able to experience the Friday night Fiesta En La Playa, which was a blast! You couldn't ask for a better location to dance the night away, with the full moon shining on the ocean and cool sea breezes whipping in your hair! Just make sure to get your drinks as early as possible, or expect to wait later in the evening.

Our room (#1) was great -- very comfortable, spacious, and nicely decorated. It could have used some kind of dresser or closet to store clothing, though. A high-end brand of toiletries would have been nice, too. I wouldn't call the bath towels fluffy, more like scratchy -- the blue pool towels were softer. And while the fan and ocean breezes did their best to cool the room, it was still pretty hot in the evenings. The lock on our door broke one day, and it was repaired the next day. They have a security guard on watch in the evenings, and they close the front gate, so we weren't too concerned for our safety. (Plus, we placed one of the night stands in front of the door, just in case! Call us paranoid -- we live in LA.)

We ate practically every meal at their restaurant, and we were never disappointed. Great espressos, smoothies, sandwich wraps, breakfast entrees, and dinner specials were always yummy. The only improvement would be more Mexican dishes, which we were told is in the works.

The beach was gorgeous, although it would have been nice to have an umbrella and chairs to enjoy it more. The pool was perfect for quick dips to escape the heat, plus it was never crowded. At the bar, some staff were better at making drinks than others, although all the pina coladas I ordered were excellent!

Overall service was good, not spectacular (although housekeeping was great). There was definitely a language barrier with some staff, but for the most part they really made an effort to be helpful. Kudos to Alex (the manager) for helping us as much as possible!

An earlier review mentioned the noise due to the street traffic, which did compete with the sound of waves crashing. Especially the trucks that sounded like they were racing by, almost like thunder! So, if you're sensitive to noise, there are also ground-level rooms, which we stayed in our last night, and we noticed it was much quieter. Also, it was much darker, and even though the fan was faster, it was not much cooler. It had a closet and dresser, but there's only a large curtain that divides the room from the bathroom. Having stayed in both types of rooms, I would definitely be happy in either for future stays.

One more thing: if you get laundry service, make sure you get everything back. I lost my favorite pair of shorts because we didn't check it before we left!

Reading over my review, it sounds like I had a lot of complaints, but I would definitely stay at Mezzanine again. If you're looking for a hip hotel to just relax, soak up some sun, get away from the crowds, perhaps do a little sightseeing, then this is the place for you!

Mezzanine is Beyond Fabulous! A Must Stay if in Tulum!

by TripAdvisor Member TroubleNYC

We just got back from a 6 night stay @ Mezzanine. It was simply amazing. Where to start.... The hotel itself is very cool and sophisticated but completely unpretentious. Our room was clean, airy and we didn't even need A/C- which is completely unheard of for us (we are divas).

Even though this place is Eco-friendly, it didn't impede on our trip- we had lights and hot water at all times. We experienced no power for all of 5 minutes, even during a pretty hard rain storm .

The hotel is situated on the beach far enough from your neighbors that you aren't bothered by them, but close enough to stroll down the beach and grab a bite.

We both got massages on the beach and found the massage therapist to be really good. Also, its right on the beach, how nice is that?

On our last evening we finally ate at their restaurant and completely regret not trying their food before. WOW, it was very good thai food and the summer salad was slamming. If you arent hungry for actual food they have a large selection of great smoothies....

All in all we absolutely loved Mezzanine. I recommend it to anyone with a sense of style, but wants serious "down time".

PS. The friday night party was very cute with good house beats.

mmm...

by TripAdvisor Member _jd1973

Stayed here earlier in the year and were there again last week - not as a guest but did eat there a few times and drinks in the evening.

I just want to say once again how friendly the staff are at Mezannine. Brendon whatever you are doing to keep your staff happy keep it up - it's working and is in stark contrast to most other Tulum restaurants. We had so many bad experiences in other restaurants in Tulum that left me wondering what's happened to the area. However everytime we visited Mezannine it was like a breath of fresh air - smiling faces, talkative staff, great service (no actually 'amazing service'), great food and amazingt cocktails. Your barman with the bandage on his arm makes some great Mojitos! Cheers - James.

Fantastic gem of a place!

by TripAdvisor Member rika99

We spent two nights at Mezzanine in mid-November as part of our honeymoon (after spending 7 nights at Azulik), and we had an excellent experience there. The rooms were lovely (calming, modern decor), the service was great and friendly (owners were on-site every day we were there), and we were excited to have electricity, ceiling fans, and a slightly more social and less isolated atmosphere for a few days.

The beach at Mezzanine is exquisite (clear, blue, calm, and rockless), and they even rake away any seaweed that washes up, leaving the area pristine. It was fabulous to have snorkeling equipment, life jackets, and sea kayaks to use for free if we wanted them. They even let us take the snorkeling stuff to a local cenote for the day.

Overall, a great experience!

Quick tip: We were in room 1--if we were to return, I would specifically request room 3 or 4, as they were a bit more private. If we didn't have all the shades totally closed (blocking the breeze), people from the bar could easily see into our room at night.

Minor negatives: Occasionally we could hear trucks rattling down the road outside our room, as the back of the room is pretty much right on the road--it didn't bother us, but it might bother some people. There were also definitely mosquitoes when we went (mid-November), though this is probably a seasonal thing.

Sexy, sophisticated...but really laid back!

by TripAdvisor Member hollydaze

Stayed one night at Mezzanine en route back from El Placer (which is about 3 hours South!)...We booked it because it looked romantic and elegant - and we wanted something kind of special. In short, we loved it. The rooms and grounds were impeccably clean..really amazingly so. The food at the restaurant was outstanding (Thai style...breakfasts were more tex-mex/American, but quality and presentation were outstanding)..Fantastic 2 for 1 Margaritas (still dying for another mango margarita a week later..) The staff was courteous and quick to help, but very discrete.

The beach is beautiful, but perhaps a bit too pristine for my taste (I like a little more nature in my beaches)..but really, a beach out of a postcard for most people (blue blue water, white white sand..stunning). It does have only a teeny little pool, so if you are a pool person, this might not be the place for you.

If however, you are laid back, enjoy great food, spectacular scenery and helpful staff..you just might want to check it out! I'd go back in a second...right now in fact (as I look out my window at the snow on the ground..)

Mezzanine--amazing experience!!

by TripAdvisor Member stilldreming

I just returned from a 4 day holiday at mezzanine, and I already am planning a trip back! This place absolutely lives up to its website, its buzz, and its multitude of great reviews. The design of both the grounds and the rooms are perfect--the whole vibe is very hip but low key. Great music, great drinks, a beautiful location on a cliff overlooking the ocean. The rooms are very nicely done, with amazing views and the roar of the surf lulling you to sleep. The service is very good and friendly (gilberto especially). The owners, Brendan and Kattrina, are accomodating and very nice and friendly. The drinks are amazing (with a seemingly all-day happy hour), the food pretty good,the breakfasts are perfect! I will definately be back and had a great time!

Offbeat and awesome

by TripAdvisor Member lopeytt

If you're willing to put up with a few bugs and some bouts of humidity and heat, Mezzanine is worth it. We had a lot of fun here, and loved the beach. The restaurant is good if you like Thai food, which we do. The bathroom is a little small, but nicely set up. I also loved that they gave us lots of complimentary water. There is a loft area, but due to the heat, we didn't go up there at all. Our only complaint was that our sheets were not changed at all during our stay (3 nights) and after some really hot and humid nights, they got a little gross. By the way, the reef is a little too far away to swim out to -- I did it, but it took me so long that I turned back as soon as I got out there!

Romantic, hip and amazing service !!!

by TripAdvisor Member Tortuga37

This is one of the best hotels I've stayed in.. and I travel a lot.
This is a great very small hotel with a great beach in a somehow secluded location.
The rooms were comfortable, clean, basic, nicely decorated and with an amazing view. No TV, no phone, no A/C, no radio/CD player, no mini bar.
The restaurant has very good food although the menu is a bit limited, mostly Thai. But it does offer a great breakfast.

However the best attribute of this hotel and what sets it apart is the service, everybody is very responding to your needs, from the waiter to the barman, the masseuse or security personnel, not to mention management; my special gratitude to Alex, John and Gilberto.
Since I was planning to propose, I did request some special things not only in the hotel but in some other restaurants in the area. All my requests were effectively answered, like a special restaurant table with a special setting, champagne at the beach, a leaf of Aloe-Vera for the sunburns, etc.

The Friday night party is great, loud and crowded, started with a drums band and ended with an English DJ playing amazing house/electronic music until 3:00 AM. It is impossible to miss or avoid since it happens right in front of the hotel rooms so you better join it.

Overall a great experience in one of the best beach settings in the world for couples.
By the way, she said Yes, and we are planning to return for the wedding.

Comments