Calle Luna Sur 5, Tulum Pueblo, Tulum, Quintana Roo, 77780, Mexico

• Terrific Find!

This has to be the 'best buy" on the Yucatan. Squeaky clean and comfortable. Our hosts, Marty & Sara, were always available to offer advise, answer questions and assist in making arrangement for tours, taxis etc.

We stayed for a week late January 2011 and wished we could have extended for a few more days. There are many excellent places to eat in Tulum at a fraction of the price beach restaurants charge. It is an inexpensive taxi ride to one of the many Beach Clubs in the area. We liked Jose y Ana it has places to change clothes, lounging chairs of all types with shade.

Posada Luna del Sol is a few feet from the major highway. It has 12 large rooms with most amenities (sans hairdryer). The third floor is a gorgeous common space. Breakfast includes fresh fruit, coffee, cereals, fresh OJ and a choice of two hot dishes.

I definitely recommend this Posada to those wanting a quiet place to relax that is convenient to all the attractions the Yucatan has to offer.

More about Posada Luna del Sur

Janet is a sweatheart

We flew in to Cancun, and wanted to get out of there as soon as we could. So the plan was to take the airport bus to Playa del Carmen, stay one night there and go on to Tulum the next day. But I just happen to come across the Posada Luna del Sur web site. (Lonely Planet really neds to get this one in their book)So I e-mail Janet the owner who is from Mexico City, but escaped the maddness there. (smart move) She e-mailed me right back and said she had a room for us, plus info like there was no airport bus to Tulum, we would have to take a bus to Playa del Carmen, then another to Tulum. So that is what we did, when we got in to Playa we were so happy we were not staying there, yuck! We got to Posada Luna del Sur, Janet was there to welcome us with open arms, she gave us a tour of the of rooms, showed us a great place to eat on a little map she had and that was it. The room was spotless, it felt like it was having our own apt. Next day took off for the ruins and the beach, since it's 6km away you can a bus. Taxi cost $2.50, had a great time, then had lunch at Diamante K (We were almost going to stay when planing our trip) It's wasa nice place that used a Buddha theme. As a Buddhist I was so turned off by how rude the staff was ! Some Buddhist! Ha! More like Rudest! When we got back to the room I told Janet she was the best hotel owner I ever met. One thing I really love about Janet was that she was there for you if you needed anything, but if not, she left you on your own. I can't stand hotels were the owner is not just happy with you staying there, but they have to ram their tours in your face as well. Janet is a sweetheart, sorry we could not stay longer. What a great place with a graet owner ! We love you Janet ! Steve and Jesse

Best Hotel in Tulum

by TripAdvisor Member swasis

My sister and I just spent a fabulous week in Tulum, where one of the highlights was our stay at Posada Luna del Sur. The owner, Janet, is so helpful and accomodating. She provided excellent recommendations for restaurants, cafes, and beaches. The room was very large and well-appointed with AC, refridgerator, bottled water, and a cute balcony. Best of all, it was kept spotlessly clean. Being two females traveling alone, we also appreciated the locked gate and always felt safe. The location was perfect - walking distance to town and just a quick ride to the beaches and routes to other attractions.

I cannot say enough about Posada Luna del Sur. It is, quite simply, the best hotel in Tulum. And the the price can't be beat.

Exactly what the reviews say!

We stayed at this cozy hotel in Tulum for 3 nights and had a very pleasant stay. Janet will greet you warmly and will provide you with great restaurant tips, places to visit, etc.
Room was impecable, and Jesus (helper) will surprise you with origami style animals made with towels.

Considering the price and the commodities that this hotel offers, I agree that this is an exceptional deal. Though this is not for travelers who want an ocean view hotel. It is located in the town but close to everything.

Hard to get in touch with and no room for kids

by TripAdvisor Member happytrails100

Inasmuch as I've heard wonderful things about Posada Luna del Sur, it does not appear to be a child-friendly place. We tried to telephone them from Merida, and our host in Merida tried to email them as well, but our efforts were unsuccessful. We decided to take a chance and go there anyway, but we arrived only to learn we could not stay there with our three year old. No harm done - it just would have helped to know in advance.

A wonderful place for a great vacation!

by TripAdvisor Member mlr13

We just spent 4 nights at the Posada Luna del Sur and had an amazing time! The rooms are very comfortable and so clean--which is so nice to come back to after a day of adventuring around Tulum. Janet is an incredible hostess with lots of great advice about where to visit and eat. Jesus keeps the rooms in impeccable shape. The kitchen is also very nice to have on hand. The location of the Posada is perfect--easy to get to the beach, to the ruins, to the town center, to the biosphere, etc.

As for Tulum in general, we loved the beach at Hotel Paraiso, enjoyed kayaking at the S'ian Khan Biosphere (watch out for the barracudas!), got a good chill swimming in the Gran Cenote and had fun exploring the ruins of Coba (pay attention to the flora, fauna and wildlife as well as the ruins). We also enjoyed the restaurants La Vita e Bella, and Margharetta in particular. (We actually got engaged on the beach--so everything about Tulum will always hold a special place in my heart!!)

We loved it here

by TripAdvisor Member Treez

After spending 2 weeks touring Mexico and staying in a mixed bag of budget hotels we decided a bit of luxury was in order. We were NOT disappointed.

Our room was large with a small kitchenette and seating area as well as a lovely large bed (king size?) and lots of storage space, all tastefully decorated. There was even a small, but nonetheless beautiful, patio garden where we would sit with a chilled beer and decide where to go for dinner.

Out host, Janet was a delight. Always cheerful and friendly with lots of ideas and recommendations. Always pleased to help out with a phone call to book trips etc.

Finally Jesus the "towel wizard" amazed us daily with his sculptures.

The practicalities:
The posada is sitiuated at the southern end of the main street through Tulum, with all amenities in the town within walking distance. The beach is a standard 45 peso cab trip ($4.5) from the town (no matter where on the main street you pick up a cab - so don't think you'll save a few pesos by walking the length). It is only a 5 minute walk from/to the bus station and barely worth the taxi fare - unless of course you have lots of luggage (we had rucsacs).

They Gave Away My Reservation

by TripAdvisor Member haveboozewilltravel

After reading all your glorious reviews we first contacted the hotel by phone and was told to email our request which I did. I promptly received an email stating that they had 2 suites available. I emailed back asking why a family of four would need 2 suites and was told that the only rooms available could only accommodate 2 people each. I emailed back stating that I would take the 2 suites for 4 nights. I did not hear back for several days, but eventually was told that the suites were no longer available. Did I do something wrong? My wife (who is bilingual) telephoned them directly in the very beginning to avoid any delay in making the reservation. I feel this is very unprofessional and I now understand why this establishment is not listed in any guidebook.

Home away from home in Tulum

by TripAdvisor Member irogers

This past August was my second visit to Posada Luna del Sur. Thanks to the kindness of Janet, the owner of the posada, it feels a lot like a home away from home. It's super clean with air conditioning, a little patio, and little kitchenette. If you're staying in town, there's really no better place to be! It's within easy walking distance from the bus station and popular restaurants like Charlies. I recommend Posada Luna del Sur to all of my friends who are passing through Tulum. You won't be disappointed.

Amazing time

by TripAdvisor Member Baltazar

My wife and I wanted to go to Tulum for a while as everyone around us recomend it highly. We were trying to look on the internet to find the perfect place to stay. As we had a car we didn't need to stay at the beach and were pretty open to stay in the town. After a week of exploring the web and reading review about all the hotels you can find there, we decided to stay at Posada (after all it has the best review you can find from far!).
After booking our room we emailed the amazingly friendly owners to know a little more about the area. They always got back to us very fast and provided some very usefull information.
Once there we wanted to go snorcling, also visit the area and see some places that were not advertised everywhere. Once again Janet and Jack were very helpful and allow us to discover places we would never had seen had we stayed in a standard hotel. Jesus - the house keeper - was doing a great job, our beautiful room was always super clean and the AC working perfectly!
The last day I got sick (sun allergy) and - as often when you are far from home - didn't know what to do... Jack (biologist) could not only tell me how to feel better (very important when you are on vacation) but he also gave me some medicine to feel better! We were so well treated there it was almost abnormal.
We know we will go back to Tulum and we know where we are going to stay : Posada.
Janet, Jack and Jesus, we would like to thank you once more for giving us the opportunity to fully enjoy our so well deserved (and so rare) vacation, without you we wouldn't have fallen in love with Tulum.
Thanks, thanks, thanks!