Kukulkan Norte, Tulum, Quintana Roo, 77780, Mexico

Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

• Beautiful Boutique All-Suite Hotel

Posada Yum Kin has beautiful suites with kitchens/kitchenettes and a large pristine pool. The rooms have thick clean high quality linens and are roomy and spacious. Tucked on the edge of Tulum, it is in a relatively quiet area. There is no traffic and the noises you hear are mostly from the birds outside which I found very relaxing.

Unique Quality: PYK has a 'homey' quality to it. You feel like you belong here. The staff is friendly. The surroundings are relaxing and comfortable. We spent a lot of our time under the palapa near the pool. This is where they serve a delicious, but simple breakfast every morning.

Directions: Near Downtown, but on the quiet edge of the town. Jungle nearby.

More about Posada Yum Kin

Don't Pass This One Up!

by TripAdvisor Member VacationLuvr59

If you are looking for an all inclusive, Americanized experience - go to Florida - ok, Cancun! If you are planning a trip to Mexico - go to Tulum and stay at Posada Yum Kin.
Tulum's downtown is active with restaurants and shops but still retains a traditional Mexican/Mayan culture. Tulum is a great base location for day trips to surrounding ruins, activities or just hanging out at the local beach - by far the best around.
The best place to stay in Tulum is Posada Yum Kin.
We were met at Cancun Int'l Airport on Christmas Day by a staff member of Posada Yum Kin. He had cold water waiting for us in the car, which was very welcome after 3 hours of waiting in lines to get through customs and immigrations. During our 2 hour drive, we learned about attractions, some pointed out on the way, and even the operations of the Mexican Federal police, as we drove through check points. Once in Tulum we were taken to the grocery store to pick up food and drink for our room.
We drove through downtown Tulum, a very quaint town, and headed off the main road to the hotel. The hotel is located in a residential area of traditional Mexican homes. However, once you step through the arched handcarved wooden doors of Posada Yum Kin, you instantly feel you have walked into a garden oasis. The courtyard is filled with trees and plants of varying size and shapes. A beautiful hand carved fountain in the center tells the story of the Mayan culture. Lights in the trees and luminarias around the fountain add to the ambiance in the evenings. We stayed for 6 nights in 2 different rooms and also were able to view some of the other rooms. Each one is different in size and decor but all contain elements of Mexican/Mayan culture and life.....arched doorways, Mexican tile, handpainted sinks, handmade clay dishes, to name a few. There was much thought and care put into the details making each room special. We were welcomed on arrival and taken to our room located at the top of the winding wooden staircase. The feel was that of a treehouse, especially when sitting above the courtyard relaxing on the patio. Although each room is different in design, all provide cooking facilities, cookware, dishes, fridge and bottled water. The rooms are immaculate and kept that way on a daily basis. The water pressure is excellent and the showers hot!
We also had the opportunity to stay in a ground level room which provided a huge porch for resting in the hammock or wooden lounge char. The deck on the top of the hotel is a great place to star gaze!
If you don't rent a car, bikes are available for rent at the hotel. Downtown is about a 10 minute walk or a $3-$4 cab ride. Tulum is very safe and the locals are very friendly. Once downtown, you have access to cabs or vans which can take you anywhere.
The owners, Dan and Balbina and the staff they employ will help you with ANYTHING you may need . You can have breakfast delivered to your room, get recommendations for local activities and restaurants or just a cup of Mexican coffee!
Planning your Riviera Maya vacation in Tulum at Posada Yum Kin will truly be a vacation to relax and absorb the Mexican and Mayan cultures. That's why you're going to Mexico, right?!
Hope you choose Posada Yum Kin - we are glad we did!

What a find !

by TripAdvisor Member Rodgco

You do have to find this pace but it is well worth it.
Beautiful rooms, gardens, decks ,hammocks. This place gives you a peaceful respite from the business of Tulum. Dan the owner is the sort of guy that actually thinks like a traveller and attends to every detail.The furniture and fittings are custom made from chunky native timber and every room is different. Posada Yum Kin is exceptionally good value compared with anything else in Tulum.
Dan is also an environmentalist who uses wind and solar power. He just doesn't call himself an eco resort ( like others who do but aren't ! )
Highly recommend it.

Incredible stay at Posada Yum Kin. Beautiful and Unique!

by TripAdvisor Member mlc77

I really can't say enough great things about Posada Yum Kin. My wife, sister and a few friends stayed here in Feb. of '09 for four nights and we enjoyed ourselves immensely. The complex itself is extremely beautiful and the rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. The staff could not be more pleasant. I'd personally like to thank Clayanna for all her help and care. As for value, I'd say the place is unbeatable. The first time you arrive it may be a bit confusing to find the place, but then again, that's pretty standard any time you are traveling in a foreign country! The route is an easy walk to the town center and an even easier bike or cab ride. My only advise is to avoid driving if possible. Cabs are very cheap and a much safer way to get around mexico in general than driving the very obvious and noticeable rental car.
The town is very fun at night and it's very easy to bar/restaurant hop. It's nice to go back to the tranquility of Posada Yum Kin after a great morning on the beach (AMAZING by the way!!) or a night on the town. The roof deck on the top of Posada Yum Kin is also great. I'd also like to thank Dan, the owner, for all his help. I called him on New Year's eve when some friends decided to come last minute and he held the last room for them.
I'd like to end by saying that I never leave reviews about anything. This place was so great though that I had to let other travelers know. If your looking for something unique and different and do not want to be trapped at some cookie cutter resort than this is your place!

Posada Yum Kin is especial

by TripAdvisor Member Moneos

We booked a room at the Posada Yum Kin for three days in early February, enjoyed it so much we stayed an extra day and then returned for three more nights the following week to end our two week vacation to the Yucatan Peninsula.

I simply can't imagine that there could be better accommodation in Tulum. The rooms (and we experienced three of them) are clean, well furnished, and have the ambiance of a true Mexican posada, The inner courtyard is a tropical paradise. We enjoyed retreating to the serenity of the Posada oasis, to lounge on a front porch hammock, after a day of sun and sand at one of Tulum's amazing but often breezy beaches. The fact that the hotel is solar powered and sans television is much appreciated.

I notice that some reviewers have commented that Posada Yum Kin's location is less than stellar. I would beg to differ. The Posada is far enough removed from "downtown" Tulum to offer an environment basically devoid of traffic and other noise, but just a 10 minute stroll through a lighted, safe and welcoming neighbourhood to Tulum's exceptional restaurants and shops. Or you can rent a bike from the posada and pedal around town, to the beaches or nearby cenotes. We did spend one night in a very nice apartment a few blocks from Tulum Avenue, awaiting a vacancy at Posada Yum Kin, and the most noticeable difference was the noise level found closer to the heart of the Pueblo.

The staff, Clayanna, Mariacarmenza "Ponchi", Alfredo and Roberto are remarkable, accommodating in every way without being intrusive. They made us feel like we were part of the community.

We have travelled independently throughout much of Mexico, and prefer staying at smaller hotels and bed and breakfasts, Posada Yum Kin is among the best we have found. We plan to visit again with our children.

Mitch and Shannon Moneo

Superlative hospitality

by TripAdvisor Member judbe

From the moment we walked throught the heavy arched doors we felt welcome. We were escorted to our room by Clayanna and Pochi as if we were treasured members of the family. The room was simple, clean with a lovely Spanish style. The arched doors and windows were a wonderful warming touch.
A huge bottle of water, a refrigerator, sink and dishes all sparkling clean were a part of our room. On our porch was a hammock, facing the fountain and the foliage of the central patio, (much utilized by me and my book, between tours, close-by beaches or ruins). Coffee pots in the room or coffee provided by the staff, were the frosting on the cake! My daughter availed herself of the wonderful roof patio and joined the weekly Yoga group. The magic Fabiola always had the room in order when we were gone so we always came back "home" to perfection. Now THAT is a perfect vacation!! Yum Kin is very safe as is the Town of Tulum. It is a lovely place, peaceful, quiet and friendly.

Lovely appartment in a tropical garden!

by TripAdvisor Member marikiya

The posada Yum Kin is a secluded little paradise with a lush garden surrounded by 9 appartment-rooms. The rooms are huge with comfortable beds and they come with a mini gaz stove, mini fridge a beautiful wood table and chairs...so you can cook your food (and the pueblo is just a 10 min. walk away, so you can go get what you need...). The private bathroom is huge and beautiful with mexican tiles and sink. Theres also a hamaca outside on the porch to relax. This place is perfect for couples or anyone looking for a quiet place to stay outside the beach area and the noisy main street of Tulum! The staff is VERY nice too!

Beautiful and peaceful

Found Posada Yum Kin on the internet ...first time I ever booked a hotel solely on the advice of other people on the internet, and I dont regret it !
I highly recommend this nice little hotel to anybody who enjoys peace and quiet and admires the beauty of simplicity and nature. I would not recommend this hotel to anybody looking for a party place (unless you rent all the rooms!) because of the interior garden, the sound really carries and is amplified. Not for someone looking to be close to the beach...it is on the outskirt of Tulum centre about 10 minute walk to town. Although I like being close to the beach , I really did not mind ( around 5$ cab fare to the beach or you can rent a bicycle at the hotel). Very much liked the fact that we had a kitchenette.

Very nice people work there and you can see that the place was built with great care and love.

From Montreal
Lynne

A pleasant place to stay -- if you know what to expect

by TripAdvisor Member AmeliaIsland

I agree with all the glowing reviews on Trip Advisor about Posada Yum Kim and its
hospitable owners. But it may not appeal to all travelers.

First of all the inn and the rooms are immaculate. Clearly the owners have poured their
lives into this comfy, affordable place to stay in Tulum. No expense was spared to
create a luxurious, comfortable, safe tropical oasis.

Personally, I didn't miss the phone, TV or air conditioning at all. However, there is no
getting around the fact that it is hot in the jungles of the Yucatan, so travelers should
at least be aware their room will be cooled by just ceiling fans and soft breezes coming
through the multiple open windows.

Not only are those windows open, they lack adequate covering, creating a disconcerting
sense of a lack of privacy. With the proximity of the guest rooms, you get the uneasy
feeling that every guest can hear your every conversion and see your every move in your
room. I noticed the owners have responded to similar complaints on Trip Advisor, but
obviously the problem hasn't been fixed yet.

Our primary concern was the location. In Tulum, generally, you can stay in town or at
the beach. Unfortunately, Posada Yum Kin is neither.

In fact, finding it is nearly impossible. The inn's web site lacks adequate directions
and the not-close-to-scale map provided is completely useless, not to mention, misleading. None of the streets in Tulum are marked anyway. I get the sense that if potential guests knew exactly where the inn was located, many of them would choose to stay elsewhere, which might explain the lack of clear directions or maps.

After 30 minutes of driving through the Third World streets of Tulum, we finally found
Posada Yum Kin at the dead end of a dirt road covered in pot holes and construction
barriers and prowled by the ubiquitous mangy wild Mexican dogs (and one dead one lying in the dirt in the middle of the road).

While the dirt road into town is well lighted, I can't imagine too many guests are
adventurous enough to hoof the approximately 3/4 mile walk at night. We chose to drive,
although the owner offered to call a cab for us, which I'm sure would be quite
affordable. That would be the recommended option for anyone enjoying more than a couple drinks in town.

Once you walk through the beautiful gates, you immediately understand why so many
describe this place as an "oasis" amid such stark Third World surroundings. If
you know what to expect, you will enjoy your stay at this friendly, pleasant inn.

Hard Place to Find and a Hard Place to Leave

by TripAdvisor Member windsorcaper

After a long day travelling and a bit of a search to find a cabbie who knew how to find the Posada Yum Kin, we walked through the gate and fell in love with this place. It is beautiful and intimate and Clayanna was a warm and obliging hostess. I loved the elegance of the rooms (we stayed in a suite on the main floor the first two nights and upon our return stayed in a room on the second level). The rooftop terrace was a great place for morning coffee and a perfect spot to star gaze at night. The spiral staircase to the second level may be a bit of a challenge for some especially if you have lots of luggage to manouever. The courtyard is landscaped beautifully and we found it to be a very romantic setting. If you don't have a car you have to take a taxi into town and you can expect to pay anywhere from 20 to 50 pesos per trip depending on the time of day or night and we suggest keeping a map in your pocket so you can show the taxi driver where it is as the location is definitely off the beaten track (that was a plus for us). If you are looking for a romantic setting...you will find it here.

Great Place

by TripAdvisor Member waterblueIthaca

This is a great place but I had a terrible time finding it. The map was very bad and gave the impression I could walk. Many of the streets are not marked and the posada is far from the center. I wandered like a mad dog in the mid day sun going around in circles and through a maze of dusty streets . Helpful citizens tried to help but they gave contradictory directions. When I finally arrived I was furious and a very kind, calm and centered woman rushed to greet me and make me feel at home. She and her wonderful assistant from Colombia brought me water and even drove me and my bike they gave me to the beach. Clayanna was so wonderful that I was soon loving the hotel. Everything was sparkling clean and there was a water cooler in the room with a full kitchen. It is a great place mostly off grid with solar panels and windmills, Ironically , new power lines and street lamps have been erected by the town and my lovley balcony looked directly into a large electrical transformer. there was also a big street light that illuminated my wonderful bedroom. Clayanna made cardboard inserts for the windows to block the light. They need to put a trellis with vines or a thatched roof to block the harshness of the transformer and street light. Ask for a room away from the road side. One other issue was a neighborhood band of dogs that loved to bark all evening. This seems unavoidable in Mexico and one must live with it. It's part of the charm in a strange way but can be difficult if you are a sensitive sleeper. Bring earplugs if you are sensitive to noise. Clayanna quickly worked on making a better map and asked for my input. Nevertheless, take a taxi. I can't say enough about Clayanna and her helper. They both made the stay so much better . I felt well cared for and think this place is wonderful. There is a nice space on the roof to watch stars by. I enjoyed riding a bike to the beach but it is not close. This is a good place for a romantic getaway or a peaceful , meditative stay. They offer yoga and massage. A place like this on the beach would cost much much more.

Comments