Tierras del Sol

Carretera Tulum - Boca Paila Km 10 , Quintana Roo , Tulum, Quintana Roo, 77780 , Mexico

More about Tierras del Sol

Perfect getaway for the right people

by TripAdvisor Member travlnjonz

My wife and I never had a honeymoon and we both hate cold weather, so we were off to Tulum for a belated honeymoon and some warmth. We chose TDS based on reviews from TripAdvisor, and were not disappointed. We stayed in Posada de Buzos right on the beach. Others have posted pics of the exact cabana. We are upset to learn the local dog befriends everyone...we thought we were special and he only guarded us : ) We didn't see much of the owner, Carlos, or anyone for that matter..which was nice. We met 2 other couples only on the day we were leaving. Everyone was friendly but was obviously there for peace and quiet. There are restaurants that also serve drinks up the beach that we walked to most days. We also had a car so we drove to to the town of Tulum and ate/shopped. We liked trying out our Spanish and shopped in the local Supermarket on several days...they have the Best pastries there..buy some for the trip to the ruins at Coba! ..I definitely recommend that. We had coffee at Tierras in the morning, but they don't start serving very early, so often we would walk up the beach for breakfast. You go to bed so early, I found it hard to sleep in. The weather, views, comfort of Tierras were hard to beat. The only surprising/bad thing about our trip was the prices of food and drink. You quickly lose the feeling of a remote jungle paradise when you're charged $6 for a drink (the banana restaurant). The two best restaurants were true to what we read on this site: Margheritas, and Zamas. And both were priced about what you'd expect to pay in the U.S. Anywhere from $50 - $60 for two. Margherita's was particularly good...some of the best fish I've ever had. Oh, one last thing, bring a flashlight or 2, and one of those collapsable coolers. Then go to that supermarket in Tulum and buy beer and ice and use your cooler at the cabana...I wished I had done that. You can get one beer at a time at Tierras, but you are charged restaurant prices. It would have been nice sitting out on that deck in the hammock with a cooler of ice-cold coronas....ummmm I want to go back soon!

Great place

by TripAdvisor Member Traveler0802

I'll keep this review short since it seems like everyone else who stays there likes Tierras del Sol as much as we did, so there's little need for me to say much.

My husband and I stayed at 3 places in Tulum (all reserved in advance) in early Feb. This was our favorite. Our room, La Alta, was pretty much perfect. Gorgeous, clean, large, airy, and complete with lizard sunning himself each morning on a palm tree that grows through the wall behind the bathroom.

Carlos was incredibly chill, almost (but not quite) to the point of being off-putting. When we asked when was check-out, he said, "I guess 12 o'clock." The key to our room had been lost by a previous guest, and he was equally unconcerned about our inability to lock up, which might have worried me had he not left his laptop and cell phone out in his open-air office all the time. It's just that kind of place--very laid back and relaxed (and he did offer to lock up whatever we wanted in their home).

I recommend it highly.

Wonderful peaceful place

by TripAdvisor Member au_sa_lako

If you are looking for a quiet, beautiful place in Tulum then Tierra Del Sol is absolutely the best. We stayed for a week and would have stayed longer. Think about bringing a cooler, we purchased a small styrofoam one in town and enjoyed having cold drinks for sitting on the deck, reading our books and watching the ocean. We also were glad we had rented a car although we didn't drive it every day. We had to stock the cooler! It seems very safe, we walked on the beach to nearby restaurants for dinner every night, we slept with the door to the cabana open. This is one of the best places for relaxation anywhere. What could be better--warm beautiful ocean, safe swimming, reef offshore, great food (although at U.S. prices), miles of beach for walking on, jungle preserve just down the road and a quiet peaceful cabana. We found Carlos and all of the staff to be very helpful as needed, we appreciated their quiet approach, it is like having your own private place.

Romantic & Rustic

by TripAdvisor Member leetlesasa

I'll keep this short and simple, because I could go on and on about how great Tierras del Sol is! I just got back from a 4 night stay at TDS and wish I was still there! The location is perfect, not too close to surrounding hotels so it offers privacy; with that being said, it might be easier to rent a car to get around. The beach is just gorgeous- white sand, no rocks, and beach & lounge chairs and umbrellas are there for your use. Breakfast is served each morning at 7:30 and the menu offers eggs cooked up just about any way you can imagine (also, try the fruit platter- pineapple, mango, and so much more!) and the price cant be beat. Carlos and the staff are very friendly and laid back; our room was cleaned everyday and our towels were replaced with a fresh set as well. The cabanas/rooms are very romantic and rustic, the bathroom (though it doesnt offer much privacy because the wall doesnt extend to the ceiling-- I'm not sure if all cabanas are like this) was very clean and nicely decorated.
Overall, I loved this place and would recommend it to anyone wanting a beachfront hotel in Tulum.

High on ambience, low on hospitality...

by TripAdvisor Member misstutti

I spent five days at Tierra del Sol in the oceanfront cabana and it was AWESOME -- the sound of the wind and waves and a million stars in the sky at night. The cabana was extremely clean and well-kept; only one night did I think that lizards were doing the cha-cha on the floor below me ( I didn't want to get up to check and disturb my night's sleep). If you want to escape civilization this is the place. The salt-water shower was pleasant and I didn't even realize that electricity wasn't available during the day. Food, though offered only at breakfast (I think), was good. The owner/host and his wife, who spoke little English, were less innkeepers than property owners; they could have provided a bit more in the way of hospitality. But -- would I stay there again? In a New York minute! Looking for peace and quiet? This is the place. Heavenly....just heavenly.

Perfect Beach Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member jwilkie

Just got back from Tulum. We stayed at Tierras del Sol for 6 days/5 nights last week. The beach was perfect and there were few people there. Always easy to get a nice umbrella and chairs. As advertised there was some coral reefs about 200 yards out and it was beautiful with lots of fishies and such. Our bungalow was nice. Thatched roof and concrete walls and floor. Very nice to sleep in with the breeze at night. Good bed and bathroom. Plumbing worked and there was electricity at night. The breakfast food was wonderful, and we had one dinner at TDS which was special because Carlos made an Argentinian BBQ... excellent. Carlos and staff were very hospitable and friendly. About the only drawback is that the hotel is pretty far down the road, and the town is kind of far. We walked up the beach to some other hotel/restaurants for food but they were kind of pricy. Its hard to get a taxi too, renting a car would have been good. Hich-hiking actually was the best way to get up the road for us. But being down the beach is nice too because there is less people and its quieter. Overall the stay was wonderful and we want to go again next year.

Paradise Found

by TripAdvisor Member ScubaKay

We loved loved loved this place! We are already planning our return for next year. The room was large with a great view of the ocean. We NEVER used the mosquito net at night and never had a problem with bugs. We stayed our first 2 nights right outside Tulum Pueblo (so we could get a feel for the place) and then stayed 3 night at TDS for our beach bum part of the trip. The place was sooo peaceful and beautiful we felt like we were on a deserted island. One night we got some great Mexican takeout from town, brought down a bottle of wine to the beach and had the most romantic dinner ever! We did not see another soul (this end of the beach is quite secluded)..it was just the 2 of us the waves and the moonlight...ahhh...

On another note...I must stress that these cabanas are not for everyone. As has been stated numerous times on this forum...you are in the jungle...do not expect luxury! My boyfriend and I have coined it our "treehouse" as it does remind you a little of Robinson Crusoe or Swiss Family Robinson in a Rustic Romantic kinda way. I did see a (gulp)large Lizard and (bigger gulp) a VERY large spider-that if at home-I would have absolutley freaked...but I didn't even bat an eyelash...they seemed like they belonged there as much as I did...(sigh) wish I was there now. As for Carlos not being the most attentive host...I found him to be warm and hospitable (but then again-I never needed them for anything)...

Incredible Place

by TripAdvisor Member frannyzon

I have been wanting to go to Tulum for at least a few years now, and I finally got to do so this month. My boyfriend and I researched a lot of places, and we ended up picking Tierras del Sol in the end due to dates available and type of property. We are so glad we did! We were looking for a quiet and mellow place on the beach with views and good amentities and that's exactly what we found--and then some.

As others have described, the experience is like that of living at another person's very nice cabana, but not really a hotel. The owners are great, but also very unobtrusive. They will completely leave you alone, but are happy to answer questions. We learned to ask--otherwise some things might be a bit confusing. Breakfast is served every morning and then the cost is added to your bill at the end of your stay. Dinner is available, but you need to give 24 hour notice. It's easy to find other places to eat--either by getting in the car or walking just a bit down the beach.

The longer we stayed at Tierras del Sol the less i cared about things like lukewarm water or limited electricity. It simply didn't matter. What did matter was the beatiful beach at your doorstep, the sun, the balcony looking out onto the water, and the privacy. I only wish we could have stayed longer.

It's clear that Tulum is getting built up by the day. This is the place to stay if you want to try and experience a little bit of the past Tulum--quieter, unspoiled, and lovely. I would return in a heartbeat.

great

by TripAdvisor Member bennettsworld

Tierras Del Sol was everything we were hoping for. Very laid back and relaxing. Carlos and the rest of the staff were very kind and did a great job with everything from answering questions, to making breakfast. We spent the days relaxing on the beach and fly fishing (felt like we had the beach to ourselves). Then we would either walk down the beach or go into town for dinner at night. We couldn't have asked for a better place to spend a week and are definately hoping to go back next year.

a great swindle

by TripAdvisor Member astridbruno

The site is certainly beautifull, as is all the end of the Tulum beach where it is located. BUT we had a very unpleasant experience with the tenant: we had made a reservation through the internet, and paid by paypal for 3 nights in April 07 ; when we arrived, they were not expecting us ; we insisted for them to check ; they said they did not keep the mails exchanged (in which the reservation was clearly asked for April; we could check this back at home) ; they finally found the evidence of our paypal payment ... but they (not us) had issued it for a reservation in March! We had apparently not doubled checked the dates mentioned by them (in fact, we were more focussing on the amount, since they had first issued a payment request for a wrong-in excess...- amount) ; their reaction was as basic as unpleasant: you accepted the paypal request for payment / you are wrong / we are full / NO refund. It took us 3 hours of nego to get our money back (less 1 night).
If you go there (there are many alternate arrangement, much more pleasant and less victim of their success) : triple check and bring evidence with you!!

Comments