Tulum Hostel

30 Palmera Street, Tulum, Yucatan Peninsula, 77500, Mexico

• Abeyna's Profile Photo

A Traveler´s Haven in Tulum

I spent two nights at the Weary Traveler in March . I basically chose this place as it was close to the bus station and had ok reviews with regards to its social atmosphere. It definitely lived up to its name.

In front of the hostel is a travel agency called Tucan Kin.. i was given a warm welcome and showed the reception which is at the back. The courtyard is the main social area and is surrounded by the dorms, reception and kitchen with some hammocks at the back.

There are several rooms.. air conditioned with shower and toilet. I was in a 8 bed dorm (bunk beds) and bumped into some people I had seen at other hostels on my journey.

Highly recommended, drinks etc are sold at the hostel as well as cheap dinner, free breakfast etc. It is 130 pesos a night (slightly high) and they take your passport as a guarantee (alternatively 300 pesos) which I was slightly concerned about, but I got it back .. just like everyone else.

Here are a list of the few probs I had:
    1. Passport as a guarantee / deposit (alternatively 300 pesos)
    2. no lockers in your room to put luggage etc
    3. Internet was not working whilst I was there
    4. I was in a room that had showers that had a string you had to pull in order to get it to work.. v v difficult. Plus the water was cold for a long period of time.. warmed up after about 15 mins by which time I´d finished anyway

Unique Quality: about 100m from the bus station.
    Good social atmosphere.
    Internet access (wasn´t working whilst I was there)
    Sky TV (was always on the Animal Planet for some reason.. not the hostel´s fault I´m sure.. depends on who´s watching!)
    they sell alcohol and cigs very cheaply.. including water. Kitchen with all amenities
    Free breakfast that you make yourself
    Bus to the beach and back, twice a day.. v useful as the beach is several miles away.

Directions: Main road in Tulum Pueblo, a few metres on the left of the bus station.

• Maria_75's Profile Photo

The weary traveler

We were hoping to spend the first night here as we had heard it was a nice and cheap place close to the busstation. But after our bus broke down in Belize we didn't get to Tulum before the middle of the night. Unfortunately we hadn't made reservations so it was full, but they gave us the name of another place nearby and other info. The hostel also has a internetcafe and a info center where they give good advice about the area.

Directions: Opposite from the busstation