Zahra

Jase1177's Profile Photo

Basic Low Key on the Beach

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 2, 2007

Hotel Zahra has a variety of rooms from basic cabanas to more luxurious rooms. I rented one of the basic cabanas for a couple night to save some money. The basic cabanas are a simple one-room with cement blocks for three walls, one wall of wood & screens, and a thatched roof. The door had an external padlock for when you are out of the room and then a latch while inside. There were two chairs, a table, a full-sized bed with mosquito net, ceiling fan, and a large water cooler of purified water. For the four basic cabanas, there is a shared bath facility about thirty feet away, on the other side of the restaurant. There are nicer rooms with private baths and more space, but at a higher price. My room met the essential need of shelter and I was okay with it. The electricity turns off at night around 11PM and then comes on at 6AM. I had to request towels each day and one of the days they didn't have any clean ones for me, so I had to use my own beach towel after my shower. Just poor planning, but the bell boy was quite apologetic and threw towels in the washer immediately.

The location is perfectly situated by two small beaches set between three section of rocky cliffs. The small beaches were shared with only about five other facilties, making it peaceful even at busy times. Directly behind the hotel grounds is a rocky cliff section that is used as part of the Maya Spa they have. There is a platform with a covered area where they give massages and such. At night, it is a beautiful location to view the stars and listen to the waves.

If I return to Tulum and stay at Zahra, I would probably upgrade to the more expensive room for the convenience of the closer bathroom and nicer rooms. I would not rave about Zahra but I did enjoy my stay because of the location and inexpensive option I had.

Unique Quality: The restaurant has 2-for-1 happy hour starting at 5PM. I had a couple banana margaritas that were made with fresh bananas. They were okay and the price was good, but I have had much better ones. I had hoped to have a starter while I drank but the menu was lacking in its choices and I didn't have anything.

Directions: Southern End of Zona Hotelara

kirstylm's Profile Photo

Great rustic accomm in Tulum

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 23, 2006

Spent 2 nights here. Very rustic basic accommodation, but worh it! Stayed in the Nohoch - bigger cabin, right on the beach, with perfect view of the sea! Room was clean and with special touches to make it special, but still basic. Not really walking distance to the main town, but we didn't even need to go there as we had some restaurants and bars nearby, and we could catch a taxi to the places we needed to go to (e.g. bus station, Sian Ka'an, Tulum ruins). Saw a lovely little spa area up on the rocks overlooking the sea, but we didn't get time to make use of this facility. Not sure what the website says about electricity, but I'm pretty sure that we had a plug in our room.

Unique Quality: VIEW!!! With a hammock on the patio to enjoy it all! Filtered water in the room. Very friendly staff and a great outdoor bar area, in the sand (just behind the cabins), and yummy food! Lovely clean private beach. Mosquito nets on the beds.

Directions: Near the north end of town but right on the beach (about 5 min taxi drive from town).

bdwoot's Profile Photo

Second Stay As Nice As The First

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 24, 2006

This was our second visit to Zahra's. Our first was 3/05 and our second 1/06. Twice in such close succession is rare for us, but there was a good reason. We needed to relax. Fast. Our stress levels were at redline, and this is the one place we can go and do nada, zip, zilch.

In our first visit, we stayed in the Nahil room. They have two kings but two couples could stay there either if they were extremely good friends or if carnal relations just isn't that important any more. There are four rooms, two upstairs and two down. Another way to look at it is two are at the beach end, and two are on the road end of the building. I recommend the room we had, up and towards the beach.

Our second visit, we had the Family Suite, as we went as a threesome (supposed to be four) with a friend of my wife's from grad school. That one has a king upstairs and a tub, bunks down and also a double suspended like a swing from the ceiling. My wife and I could do what husbands and wives do, but let's be real, our friend was either deaf or very polite. Also, the john (or "juan" as we call it in Mexico) is behind some local mangrove stalks giving adequate privacy only to those who don't need much. We tried as discreet as possible, but we got to know each other better than we would have liked. Finally, privacy from the outside is almost nil in the family suites at night. Either live in denial that the world can see you or shower during the day or in the dark.

Unique Quality: The best beach I have ever seen. Three to choose from, to the south is small and compact (topless OK), to the north is larger but seemed to be populated with more kids (not to my tastes) (topless OK), and one further north about a three minute walk away where you can get down to your skin (nudity OK but not ubiquitous).

Relaxing, pretty quiet, friendly staff that doesn't overdo the friendliness.

Restaurant with serviceable food, not the best but not bad.

Directions: Leave Cancun. Drive south 90 minutes on MX 307. Take a left at the only light in Tulum, next to the (I kid you not) Saint Francis of Assisi Supermarket, go 4 kms to the T intersection then go right, about 0.5 kms. Look left.

Nearby Zahra

Zahra

• Zahra Hotel Tulum
  • Zahra Tulum

Address: Carr. Tulum Ruinas Km. 6, Tulum Hotel Zone, Tulum, Yucatan Peninsula, 77780, Mexico

8 Photos of Zahra

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Zahra

• Restaurant
  • Room Service

Tulum Travel Forum

Need advice about Tulum, Mexico? Visit the Travel Forum for Tulum and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Tulum hotel reviews