Avenida Jalisco No. 350 Norte, Obregon, Sonora, 85

More about Travelodge Hotel CD. Obregon Sonora

viva mexico cabrones!!

by jenny_lu

"sonora"

i ended up in sonora by a crazy string of events. here in alaska, i met a few guys from mexico, and had promised to visit them. my chance came soon enough when a few months later, i decided to go down for a couple of weeks. the day before i left, i was told i was being laid-off from my job. i didnt quite know what to think, but i felt happy. i quickly got my stuff into storage and decided that i might come back in a couple of weeks, or i just might not. i ended up staying with a family in cuidad obregon for 4 months! then, later on, i met a german guy and we drove from sonora to chiapas.

"soy mas mexicana que mole...."

or so i've heard. i really thought mexico was my "home", or where i belonged. i was so electrically happy there. yeah, i missed a comfy couch and long hot showers whenever i wanted, but those were small sacrifices to feel more alive than i ever had. i've come to the realization that if a simple thing, let's say, topes, (those blasted speed bumps that you can't escape) can evoke a calm happy feeling for me just because they remind me of mexico, it may well be where i belong. if i could just get my family to move there, oh! i'd be gone in a heartbeat. they are the only thing that makes me stay in alaska all winter. anywho, back to mexico. i was the luckiest girl because i got to live with an amazing mexican family in ciudad obregon, sonora. i couldn't have imagined how sincere and lovely they would be.

"viva pink floyd"

i became aquainted with a pink floyd cover band. a group of brothers, friends, couples and mini-enemies. they were awesome, and taught me sooo much about what it is to be mexican. they always wondered why i kept coming back to obregon, i was a bit embarrased to admit that they felt so much like family to me, even if i didnt see them all the time, that i really felt comfortable with them, i didnt want to seem naive. when i caught their first gig, i finally got to say, "i'm with the band". that was a great moment in my life. in addition to the pink floyds, i met so many amazing people. the family and extended family of the salazares, (the family i was staying with), not to mention all the cannery guys i ran into. i thrive on random encounters, and it made my day every time i would see someone that i met in alaska.

Comments