Hotel Progreso

cindi5775's Profile Photo

Not recommended

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 11, 2008

My husband and I visited San Luis Potosí (the city) in April 2007. As we didn't know the city and wanted to find a cheap place close to the center, we went with a popular guidebook's recommendation.

When we told the cab driver we wanted to go to the Hotel Progreso, he was incredulous. He asked if we were sure we wanted to go there. That should have been our first clue that the guidebook wasn't telling the whole truth.

Decades ago, the hotel probably was "the" place to stay in the center of town. Though it is cheap ($270 pesos a night) and centrally-located, it is not very clean (I dropped something and had to get on my hands and knees to look for it. I saw who-knows-what under the bed! I'm sure no one has cleaned under it for years!).

The bathroom is tiny and grungy. The towels are thin and not especially clean.

The cleaning staff was friendly and always very busy, though we never saw any other guests at the hotel.

Needless to say, we will be looking for another place to lay our heads for our next visit to San Luis!

Another thing....don't eat in the hole-in-the-wall restaurant in the hotel. The cook was smoking while she was cooking!! The ash from her cigarette nearly fell into my huevos rancheros!!

Unique Quality: The lobby, though worn, gives a glimpse of the grandeur the hotel once possessed.

The hotel is located just a couple of blocks from the main plazas in the historic center, so is convenient to restaurants, museums, churches, and shops.

Nearby Hotel Progreso

San Luis Potosí Travel Forum

Need advice about San Luis Potosí, Mexico? Visit the Travel Forum for San Luis Potosí and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest San Luis Potosí hotel reviews