Avenida Camaron Sabalo s/n, Mazatlan, Pacific Coast, 82110, Mexico

See Hotels with Lower Price

Tags

Kayaking Budget Travel Beaches
See Amenities

Dont Let This One Fool You !

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 10, 2010

I had the pleasure of returning to Mazatlan last week for my second trip for 6 days. My first trip was in August of last year and I stayed at the Emerald Bay Resort. I feel in love with Mazatlan. This time, I thought I would stay closer to town. Im so glad I did but Im so unhappy with my decision as to where to stay. The Costa De Oro was not as I expected. I knew that my stay here wouldn’t be that as it was at the Emerald Bay, there is no comparison. But the price was good and the area was what I wanted.
This place is a joke. The people are rude and the place needs to to renovated (even for Mexico standards). I upgraded to an Oceanview room when I arrived which was OK. I was told there is a kitchen with full access to the stove and frig. So I paid the upgrade to find out that the cooking utincels were locked up and an additional cost applied to use them. The matressess I was told were new as of a few months ago but they were so hard it was like sleeping on the floor. The room needed major updating. The hanging lamp wires was duct tapes to the wall. The first night I stayed in the room in noticed the room seemed warm. That afternoon I called to say the air didn’t work. I waited 3 hours for someone to show up and feel the air vents to say “NO, Its OK” then he left. I waited another hours then called and told them the room was hot. After 2 more hours someone showed up, adjusted the thermostat, then said something in Spanish and left. Well another hour passed and I called the front desk. They said… OH Yes sir, we can move you for the night and tomorrow you move back. We will fix the A/C. Long story short, I was moved 4 times and 4 times the air wasn’t working. They finall moved me to the “newer” tower to a suite and the air was not working there either but they got it fixed that day. I spent so much time waiting and moving that I cant get back.
The rooms are not cleaned well. One day my room wasn’t cleaned at all and I had to call at 6pm to have them clean it. At 8:30, no show so I called and cancelled the cleaning.
On Sunday the entire local community and surrounding hotel residents took over the pool area. We as a group of 6 asked if this was a normal turnout and they said yes, many locals come on Sunday. We had no place to lay out around the pool and ended up laying out on the ground until was collected loungers as locals began to leave. I was there to have a good time and if it hadnt been for the hotel, it would have been perfect. My friends and I had a great time even though the hotel and workers didn live up to expectation.
I never complain about any place Ive stayed. Ive just marked the bad one up to “wont go again”. This place is not worth the money you pay. Don’t stay here. Whatever you do. I will stay at maybe the Inn at Mazatlan or maybe a few other larger ones in town next time. If you see more that one bad review online.. trust me, look elsewhere ! Don’t stay there is more than two or three people complaing !!!! Ive learned my lesson to read reviews a little closer.
.... also, for two days they had jack hammers drilling holes around the pool making new drain lines. Could this not be done any other time but the highlight of the day?

Directions: Gold Zone

Tdawg40sw's Profile Photo

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 28, 2008

Costa De Oro is a nice, clean, and safe hotel in the heart of the Golden zone. The hotel offers purified water just outside your room. The hotel also has a nice restaurant, convenience store, pool, pool side bar, and of course beach access.

Don't buy a timeshare, browse the net find deals

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 1, 2006

We have been to Mazatlan 4 times, the first time we stayed at the hotel beside Costa De Oro, but ended up buying a timeshare at Costa De Oro. We thought we had purchased an anytime period, but turns out only May, June, Sep, October and first two weeks of Nov and Dec. We were really disappointed because our exchange student from Mexico always spent July in Mazatlan and that was the reason we purchased the timeshare. So we have made the best of a bad situation and continued to use the time share. It has many good qualities, but I would advise everyone to NOT buy into the timeshare program. Just surf the net and find great deals each year and try something different until you are sure of what you want and are getting.

Unique Quality: Love the view, the pool, the on site spa, the location. Smells like the entire stairwells should be scrubbed down with bleach water. The first time we went they tried to give us a very "tired" room and I said I wanted the one we were shown as the model. We were quickly moved. The refrigerators have had to be replaced several times, but the maid service is consistent, honest as is the pool side waiters. It is a joy to see the same wait staff year after year.

Directions: Centrally located

MonoBichi's Profile Photo

Beachfront Value

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 3, 2004

The Costa de Oro isn't the oldest, newest, or biggest hotel on Sabalo, and it doesn't drip with luxuries and pampering: what it offers is comfort, barefoot beach access, a great pool area...and a lower price than its neighbors. Cheaper rooms with two double beds start at about $65 USD a night with airconditioning, cable, balcony and coffee makers...a cut above Holiday Inn and a sort of beach cottage feel. Goes well with the sound of surf you get in every room. The suites run up to around $170 US a night and are everything you could want in a beach retreat. Living room and kitchen are very nice, with access to lawn or balcony and the sleeping areas are ingeniously stepped up almost like lofts, with dividers to allow open feeling or privacy--the TV swivels from living room to bedroom.
The Costa has very neat lobby shops. No little tobacco kiosk here: they have a complete convenience store that sells six packs, groceries and liquor. And instead of the usual tacky gift shop, they have Rubio Jewelers, who show work by Segio Bustamante, Mexico's premier atist in ceramics, bronze, and fine metals. By the way, even locals flock to an across-the-street neighbor, Mazatlan Books and Coffee Company. Get your beach reading, or sell what you brought down. The restaurant, Adobes, is just feet above the sand and waves and gives killer sunset views. Prices are about par for Golden Zone for a very well-prepared selection of seafood, steaks, and Mexican specialties. Try arrachera--tender marianated steak.
For more information, see their WEBSITE.

Unique Quality: But what counts is the water, and the Costa has that all over: The pool area is highly cool: a freeform lagoon job with rocks and waterfalls and the whole neverland scene, and a big shallow apron area for smaller kiddos--but big wide enough for actual swimming. Bar close at hand, or course, and a stairway down to the beach for real swimming or walking. Sunsets are pure Mazatlan from the deck, the copper sky filtered through the Three Islands.
The beach also offers enhancement for those who being on a tropical beach with swimming pool is not entertaining enough. They rent parasail rides, kayaks and Hobie Cats to explore the islands offshare, boogie boards, even jetskis if you are the type of obnoxious *** who uses jetskis. If you are seeking nothing more than mindless tanning, wave-hopping, and sand in your toes, the "Gold Coast" definitely fits the bill.

Directions: Right in the middle of the Golden Zone stretch, near everything from bookstore to Dairy Queen to top dining.

guybert's Profile Photo

Costa del Ore Hotel!

by written on March 2, 2003

This Hotel always seems to be busy. It has a good location right in the center of the Golden Zone & appears to be very well kept.

Unique Quality: It has a very large pool area & a bar located right beside the pool. It appears to be an excellent spot to chose if you want to be where the action is.

Nearby Costa De Oro

• Kitchenette
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Mazatlán Travel Forum

Need advice about Mazatlán, Mexico? Visit the Travel Forum for Mazatlán and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Mazatlán hotel reviews

Day Trips
Panama Restaurant
Shrimp Factory
Restaurants
Fiesta at Playa Mazatlan.
Canucks
Sunsets
Food/Drink
Presentation rip off!!
Tourist Traps
Time share presentation rip off
Marina Grand rip off
Stay Away from Marina Grand Resort in Mazatlan
Talented local musicians!
Off The Beaten Path
Marina Grand is not grand!!
Best Food & Drink
Right on the beach
Beautiful Restaurant
Restaurants
La Jolla beware..do not make a $60,000 decision!
Mazatlan Aquarium
Mazatlan City Tour
Don't miss Anything at the Buffett
Great Food and Drinks!
Restaurants
The staff at Chili's is the BEST!
Twin Palms Day Spa