Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort MAZATLAN

Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 83% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort MAZATLAN

perfect

We had a great 2 weeks at the Holiday Inn Sunspree in February... the Hotel was the perfect size... not too big or busy or loud. The staff was amazing and kind. The rooms were very clean. Our room overlooked the gardens and the infinity pool to the ocean... perfect! There is no need to get up early to save seats by the ocean or the pool... there are plenty of chairs in different settings. We enjoyed every meal we had at the hotel and we enjoyed all the restaurants we went to as well. The Purple Onion, Carlos and Lucia's, Chili Peppers, Tony's on the Beach, Panama, Fat Fish and the Place to name a few... so many great restaurants.
If you are booked into the Holiday Inn Sunspree, you will be very pleased!

Great Hotel - no regrets!

by TripAdvisor Member Sarge01

We stayed here from Feb. 07 until Feb.14, 2006. The room was spotless as was the rest of the hotel. Everyday the cleaning staff scrubbed, mopped, rinsed and wiped every surface. The staff also take great care in the upkeep of the grounds and all the trees and plants. The pools are meticulously cleaned everyday, the sand is raked every morning, grass is trimmed and dead fronds from the palms are removed as needed. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Compared to some of the horror stories we heard from tourists at other locations in Mazatlan I am thankful we chose the Holiday Inn sunspree as our destination. If we ever return to Maz we will definately come back here.

wonderful holiday

by TripAdvisor Member aline14

We just got back from Mazatlan we stayed at the holiday inn sunspree on the main avenue, The hotel was wonderful, if you want peace and quiet this is the place to go..no loud music by the pool, speaking of the pool it was warm and very clean so was our bedroom which had a shower big enough to fit six people?? We didn't travel all inclusive this time and i'm very glad we didn't because the restaurant in the hotel is very limited..But once you venture out onto the streets there are so many restaurants that you are bound to find something to your liking. The hotel and the restaurants have filtered water now so it's o.k to drink the water..but why waste water when the beer is so cheap?? (.40 US). The exchange rate in Mazatlan is 10.5pesos per u.s and 8.5 pesos per can. Beware of the every resort you pass by someone will want to sell you a timeshare. We attended one presentation in our hotel, it last 90 min. you get free breakfast, free t-shirts, and free tickets for the mexican fiesta (70$) free tickets to stone islands (50$) and free tickets to visit the tequila factory (70$) so even if you are not interested in a timeshare it's worth the 90min. Some resorts even give you cash for attending(150$)??? I have nothing bad to say about Mazatlan..the weather was great about 28 to 30 Celsius its winter right now for the mexicans. the beach was beautiful 28km. The Mexicans are very friendly and the area is very safe. Can't wait to go back. If you need some info here is a great web site --------

great value - but skip the all-inclusive

Spent a week there at end of Feb. Had read reviews that said hotel was better than its 3 star rating and not to go all-inclusive. Both comments are bang on.

Hotel is spotlessly clean. Plenty of room on hotel property around pool for relaxing, getting some sun. Staff all very friendly & courteous. Food at poolside is good. Breakfast in dining room was just ok.

Rooms have a kitchenette - well equipped with coffee maker, toaster, microwave, hotplate, fridge, dishes, utensils, pots & pans. Several local "supermarkets" within 10 min walk - not well stocked (other than beer) but you can find enough for breakfasts, lunches & snacks. Safe to walk in golden zone day and evening.

Loads of great restaurants within 30 min walk between hotel and Valentinos at end of "golden zone". Can get a nice supper with a couple of cerveza for $15-25US.There are fancier places too if you want to splurge. Any of main restaurants use treated water so no worry there. Speaking of water, there is bottled water in your room for 15 pesos or you can buy larger bottles for less outside hotel.

To get around, use the "pulmonias" - glorified golf carts that scoot everywhere. Just flag one down. BUT be sure to ask fare BEFORE getting in. Should be 50-100 pesos to get most places from hotel - but if you don't ask it could be double. I didn't figure out the buses till it was too late. But you can get from hotel to old downtown or fishermans monument for a few pesos. Flag down buses too!

Last suggestion - take pesos with you. Locals treat $10US the same as 100 pesos. But you can do better at currency exchange before you go. And don't forget to haggle with vendors - you should be able to get at least 10% off.

Mazatlan is a great place to visit & Holiday Inn Sunspree was fabulous spot.

The Sunspree Again and Again

Well, what can I say that hasn't been said.
My husband and I have travelled to Mexico several times and Mazatlan 3 of those trips.
All 3 trips we stayed at the Sunspree.
And for future Mazatlan trips we will stay at the Sunspree.
This last trip we met up with 4 friends already staying at the hotel. We were given a room immediately upon registration, which was on the fifth floor with an amazing ocean view. Queen size bed, kitchen and great bathroom and balcony. It was nice to see all the same faces working there. The staff there stay for years. 26 years - Tony, Cezar 15 years, Arturo 15 years (i think), anyway this really says something. All the staff are very friendly and extremely accomodating as always. There are excellent restaurants everywhere including the hotel, handy markets one way or another for fridge supplies. Of course the shopping in Mazatlan is fantastic. The activities are there if you want them. I can't help but notice that Mazatlan is changing and growing and that of course is due to it's popularity, however I still feel it's the most "affordable" and "enjoyable" holdiday on the Pacific. Oh ya, the Pacific, the hotel access to the beach is awesome, just steps away. And of course having drinks and lunch served to you on the beach is about the best thing going! I would like to mention that the hard beds seemed to work for me, cause I didn't wake up stiff or sore once, and now I'm home in my soft cushy bed and I'm a little stiff each morning. Perhaps the Sunspree know's best - hahahaha.
The hotel and grounds are kept extremely clean and you really feel at home somehow.
Anyway, my husband and I will stay there again and again as we have in the past and we want to thank the sunspree and their staff for another great stay and can't wait to see them all again!
It would be really, really tough to come up with something negative to report about this hotel. It provides first class atmosphere at a very afforable price.
bueno adiós para ahora (good bye for now)

The best little hotel in Mazatlan

by TripAdvisor Member CanadaKenny

Wonderful place. Clean and spotless. It is a smaller hotel so you avoid the buzz of the larger places. Always space available around the pool and beach. I agree with all of the recent reviews from 2006. If I go back to Maz, I will be most disappointed if I cannot go to this hotel. I walked through many of the larger hotels and checked them out - not my cup of tea! Many, many fine places to eat within a short walk. We never did eat lunch or dinner at the hotel so we cannot address that issue. Recommend Heather's (plain, but good economical food), The Place, Minnesota Cafe, Casa Country (lively and slightly pricier), Fat Fish (ribs are good) and Juanita's. All are closeby. Go out for breakfasts, the Sunspree menu is not the greatest in the morning. Also, get to the old town, and go to the square by the art school. Lots of wonderful sidewalk cafes. Cheap 2 for 1 beer, and wonderful garlic shrimp. Fantastic ambiance!
Pay anything for an oceanview view - you will NOT regret it. But the sound of the surf may cause you to close your window at night! Such a downfall!! Sunsets WOW!

Great place to stay

I found this hotel and my ocean side room just beautiful. The beds were hard like everyone talks about, but I was so tired by the end of each night, I slept like a baby. Here are a couple places to eat. Nachos or a Bacon Cheese burger right in the Holiday Inn next to the ocean. Try Chili Peppers for the Shrip & Lobster for two. You can find it by walking down the beach a few blocks to the north. You can also try Fat Fish for Ribs. Fat Fish is on the other side of the road about two blocks north. If you have questions about a good place to eat for a specific food just ask anyone with a nice tan. Chances are they have been there for a while. I tried the fishing, but didn't catch anything. I think it is a 50/50 deal. I was told that it really makes a difference who you get for a captin on your Marlin boat. I spent about $300.00 US plus a tip. Boats can cost up to $500 or more depending on what you want.
Most of the hotels and food places on the strip have filtered water, but you should ask before you drik it. I was told the salads were safe and I did eat the salads, and never got sick. The temp was about 80 during the day, 70 at night. If you need any type of help at the hotel, just ask Alturo and he will help you out. Open air taxis were about $3US - $5US per ride. You can normally get them down to $3US for a shorter ride. To call home I used Christines internet cafe next to Subway. You get a phone card for about $6US. You dial just like in the states. It is located south of the hotel about 10 blocks. If you plan to buy Vanilla or Booze for home, wait until you get to the Mexican airport on the trip home. The duty free shop was very reasonable. The first day I got a ride to Walmart and picked up a case of bottled water,cooler, case of Coke, and a case of Pacifico beer. Pacifico beer is better then Miller Lite or Bud. This hotel was great, I will go back. I would ask for an Ocean side room again. The view was worth it. I stayed on the 6th floor and had a great view. We listened to the waves crashing on shore all night long. This is a smaller hotel and but it has everything you need. You don't have to fight for room at the pool. The service is great and the rooms are very clean.

Have a great trip. You can email me if you have a question.

Love it! Love it!

by TripAdvisor Member seadoogal

We just returned from a one week stay (Feb. 21 - 28/06)at this hotel and it was fantastic. A nice quiet, casual hotel with a great staff and good food and drinks. It is on a beautiful stretch of beach and the pool seems like it is also right on the beach. I did alot of research before we left and decided on this hotel because of it's small size and also the good reviews it received from others on this website. We made an excellent choice. The hotel is all marble everywhere and everything is spotless and freshly painted. The staff works very hard and take pride in their work. It is a great hotel for couples or families with older kids. There is no entertainment at night but lots of clubs and bars within walking distance or a short ride in a pulmonia.
The Timeshare Vultures are set up right in front of the elevators so we took the stairs alot. It may be worth it for some if you can spare 90 minutes to listen to their pitch because they will give you t-shirts and free tickets for some of the tours. I could have saved $70 U.S. but couldn't spare the 90 minutes so we paid for our tours. Our time was valuable.
The rooms were very nice and spotless and the shower is huge. We could fit 2 people and a Mariachi Band in there...lol!! We did not find the beds or pillows to be hard, in fact we slept like babies. All that sun and activities and a couple drinks in the day and evening have a way of making you very tired. We were up early and in bed early most days.
We went Almost All-Inclusive because it didn't cost much more but we also ate at some of the other restaurants which are within walking distance. The prices are so cheap for everything! I highly recommend Chili's Pepper right down the beach. We had a lot of fun there and the food was awesome!
I recommend going on the side tours such as the Tequila - El Quilite tour and the Sunset Tour. They are well worth the money. The Guides on these tours were so knowledgable about Mazatlan and Mexico and were fun and funny. Mexican Fiesta was going on while we were there so there were parades and fireworks and lots of partying which was fun. Parasailing on the beach is fun too! We never had a drop of rain and only say 2 clouds the whole week. We are already planning a return trip so we can finish all the things we didn't have time for.
Try this place, you will love it!

Terri and Dan
tcalbeck@rogers.com if you have any questions

Terrible Hotel

Absolutely not as advertised. The room we got faced the street, was noisy, curtains didn't fit the windows so let in the morning light, doors slamming all night, walls like paper. Front desk staff speaks about 10 words of English, most of which are "do you wanna buy a time share, hombre?" On a good day, most Holiday Inns are marginally satisfactory. This hotel has a long way to go to get there.

Great Hotel, Lots of Restaurants

Hotel was great, no problems! Best Mexican City for restaurants. Hotel restaurant very good as well. Quiet, clean hotel, super room, pool and Beach. Took the local Bus to Stone Island for a day. Would go back next year!

El Shrimp Bucket in Mazatlan, MexcioEl Shrimp Bucket in Mazatlan, Mexcio

Lety's at Stone IslandLety's at Stone Island

Out and about for the dayOut and about for the day

More carnaval craziness...More carnaval craziness...

holliday inn sunspree good or bad

by manitobacote

hi, WE are planning a trip to mazatlan looking on great gateway site at the hotel holliday inn sunspree. Has anyone been there and how is it. We are budget travellers. Does mazatlan compare to puerto vallarta. Thank you this site is great for imformation thank you vt.

RE: holliday inn sunspree good or bad

by mazgal711

Hello,
I have never stayed there but been in the lobby and the restaurant area and it seems like it is a pretty decent holtel, I think as fas as economy depending on where you eat out at that Mazatlan is cheaper than Puerto Vallarta, but I am biased, I live here.

RE: RE: holliday inn sunspree good or bad

by mazatlanfan

I can not comment on the Holiday Inn Sunspree. I have only gone by the hotel. Tripadvisor.com also has reviews on this hotel. I can say that I have been to Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan but prefer Mazatlan. Mazatlan has so much charn and great people. It is less touristy and much cheaper. Mazatlan has a central market downtown which is very interesting and cheap!! The bus system in Mazatlan is very easy to use and inexpensive. When you go to Mazatlan be sure to try out the restaurants there are many good values for food..Most of all have fun!!!!
Mazatlanfan

RE: holliday inn sunspree good or bad

by quichethecook

I stayed at HOliday Inn one night and had to exit. Hallways were dark and rooms were ugly and dirty. Bed was rock hard and no balcony. Hotel seems like they have not done any remodel on it (except for the main level) for years. Gave them a list of things to fix and came back from day in sun to find nobody did a thing about any of the issues.

I would suggest you stay at El Quiote Inn just North of Holiday Inn - very nice and spacious clean rooms - huge deck looking out to the beach/ocean. About $85/night - same or less than HOliday Inn. Much better - we had a great time here! Food at restaurant was top notch too! Great guac and cevechi....yum!

Hope that helps and hope you haven't stayed at Holiday Inn already!

Thanks!