Plaza Nogales Hotel

Welcome!Welcome!

Plaza NogalesPlaza Nogales

Plaza NogalesPlaza Nogales

Travel Tips for Nogales

Exciting to be in Mexico!

by tini58de

I was so excited to be in Mexico - even though it was just across the border..... Other than that I don't remember much....!

The interesting part to me was that there are two towns by the same name, but in two different countries and as soon as you cross the border from Nogales to Nogales you are in a different world!

Entering Mexico from the USA

by Stephen-KarenConn

Crossing the border from Nogales, Arizona, to Nogales, Sonora, Mexico, is a cinch. Although we passed through a revolving gate, there was no one there to check us in. We weren't asked for passports or any type of identification whatsoever - we just walked in. However, it is my understanding that there is a border station a short distance outside of town for those who venture further into the interior.

No visa is required for visits of 72 hours or less. You may drive your vehicle into Mexico, but insurance is required and most American policies don't cover there. Insurance offices are near the border for those who need to get it. For most people visiting Nogales from the USA, it is easier and more practical to park in one of the lots near American side of the border and walk across.

Returning to the U.S.A.

by Stephen-KarenConn

Although you may not need any identification to get into Mexico, you will be asked for a photo ID to return to the American side of the border. Karen and I had our passports. Jennifer made it just fine with her Ohio drivers license. There was a line, albeit a short one, and you will be asked to declare any restricted items you may be bringing back into the U.S.A. with you. Don't try any funny stuff and you should have no problems.

A Distinct Border

by Stephen-KarenConn

This photo, taken just over the Mexican side of the line, shows the chained-link and barbed-wire fence which seperates the two nations. I thought it interesting that the Mexicans (right) build their homes right next to the line, while the Americans (left) maintain an open cleared space next to their side of the fence.

Casa De Cambio/Money Changers

by Stephen-KarenConn

You will see a few places in Nogales where you can change your Dollars for Pesos, but unless you are going further into the interior of Mexico I would advise you not to bother. The shops and restaurants in Nogales all take American money. In fact, they seem to prefer it. Virtually everywhere we looked prices were posted in dollars instead of pesos.

If you decide to change your money anyway, the going rate as of our visit in December, 2004, was just over 11 Mexican pesos to one American dollar.

Comments