Acuario

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

More about Veracruz

Nicte-haaNicte-haa

View from the topView from the top

Palacio Municipal in VeracruzPalacio Municipal in Veracruz

Roads to Vera Cruz

by mary_buff

I have heard horror stories about the coast road from the Texas Border to Vera Cruz, is there any truth to it. I am familiar with driving in mexico as we have been to mostly central highland area ( Guanajanto. Querteraro, Michoacan, Patzcuaro, the colonial cities) mostly by toll Road. Can you get to Vera Cruz without going to Mexico City, via toll roads?

Re: Roads to Vera Cruz

by lizterese

Yes, you should believe them! I've driven that route five or six times now, and it is very rough going (even in my high-clearance, four wheel drive vehicle!). I've also done the central highland route, and it is MUCH better. The coastal roads are one lane in each direction, no shoulder, and badly maintained. I had no idea just how bad they really were until I drove the central route and discovered what I was missing. I would recommend driving down the central route and skirting around Mexico City via Texcoco to the Cuota to Puebla (and then on to Veracruz). You don't totally escape Mexico City this way, but it minimizes the drama. I've done it this way a few times, and I've never had a problem.

Travel Tips for Veracruz

Cruise ships don't dock in Veracruz

by alza

Veracruz is a merchandise port so cruise ships pass by in the distance, heading for Cancun. But while I was living there, Hurricane Wilma prevented cruise ships from docking at Cancun and the City Authorities welcomed a few ships in Veracruz Puerto.
Since the city doesn't get that many foreign tourists, these ships were quite an event for the local Portenos. Students ran to the port at their lunch break and tried their English, German or 'bonjour mademoiselle' on anyone that looked different -- namely, me. They were disappointed to learn that I had NOT just come off the Mona Lisa and that I didn't speak English. Well, I do but I didn't want to.

Comments