Km 120 carretera Merida-Puerto Juarez, Chichen Itza, Yucatan, 97751, Mexico

Costs 33% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Hotel & Bungalows Mayaland

Hotel Mayaland: Chicen Itza

by roamer61

The Mayaland Hotel at Chichen Itza in the Yucatan was my favorite lodging. You can choose from regular hotel rooms or more rustic bungalows with ceiling fans and mosquitoe netting. I remember an occasional iguana sunning itself around the bungalows.
Price depends upon kind of room and season. The service was outstanding and the food superb. They have a pool as well. Of course, there is its close proximity to the legend Maya ruin of Chichen Itza. Though its been a decade, the hotel still ranks as one of the finest hotels in the area. My parents stayed there and said it was marvelous. I don't remember if they said the bungalows were still there. Ask.

Beautiful hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member sscott37

I had read several reviews in Tripadvisor mentioning rude staff at the Mayaland Hotel and we never saw it! The grounds were beautiful and the rooms were adequate given that we were in the middle of a jungle! The a/c struggled to keep the room cool, but it wasn't a problem. The staff was extremely helpful and the food was great!

After the light show at the ruins, we ate at the hotel's restaurant in the courtyard. It was so dark with many stars out and the sounds of the jungle as a backdrop. It was so dark after dinner, we couldn't see our way to our room. We asked a waiter and they graciously led us to our room with a flashlight. Don't forget to bring a flashlight!

The ruins were fantastic and I would recommend staying the night near the ruins and getting to the park as soon as it opens. It's not worth going too much earlier than the opening time because no one is there to sell you a ticket! We were one of the first 15 into the park and it was magnificent in the early morning. By the time we left, around lunchtime, the visitor center was teeming with hundreds of tourist trying to get in.

Wonderful place

by TripAdvisor Member renbabe

We stayed at Mayaland as part of the Mayan Magic 5 day tour. After a drive from Cancun via Tulum and Coba we were glad to reach our destination. The reception staff were friendly and helpful though initially they allocated us the wrong type of room they rectified it immediately and moved us. The hotel and site was quiet whilst we were there as it was low (hurricane Wilma) season. We ate in the restaurant both evenings we were there and found the food to be reasonably priced and very good. Most of the staff were chatty and we enjoyed the musicians at dinner and found them to be charming too. Our suite was comfortable although the bed was very hard and we are used to a softer mattress. The bathroom with Jacuzzi was lovely and we used the tap water to brush our teeth never feeling any worse for it. The pressure to tip was very much present at all times and a couple of the staff reminded us to tip which left a little sour taste in our mouths as we were always generous where service was good. On the whole we would recommend the Mayaland hotel at Chichen, it has to be one of the best places to visit the ruins from. We arrived in the evening and took a walk up to the site at dusk. We didn't realise it was closed so we got some time with the whole place to ourselves. Recommended.

Tamed Jungle Bliss

by TripAdvisor Member rnbnut

If you go to Cancun, esp. if you visit the incredible site of Chichen Itza, do yourself a favor. Spend a night at the Mayaland Hotel. The hotel grounds abut the Chichen Itza site, it's a 15 minute walk from the lobby to the pyramid itself. With a private entrance for hotel guests, incl. waiting guides who all speak English.
But that's not the best part. The bungalows are set apart from each other in an incredible 'controlled jungle' setting, with exotic flowers, exotic birds, swimming pools, restaurants, lush lawns, in short a seriously great escape from Cancun. For a lot less than you'd expect.
I was there 2 years ago and it's still one of the great highlights of my extensive travel experience. To get there it's best to rent a car (not allowed in hotel grounds, you have to use one of their free golf carts to ferry your belongings), but you have 2 options for getting there. The free highway is not for the timid, not like driving in the U.S. The toll highway will save at least 2 hours and a lot of stress. About $20. 2 lane divided highway with NO traffic.

Hold on to your camera!

by TripAdvisor Member AlsoATraveler

Mayaland is a short walk from Chichen Itza, a major archeological site of the Postclassic Maya. The Mayaland Hotel & Bungalows do not comprise a resort in the popular sense: It's not a luxurious retreat with four and five star restaurants and spa treatments. However, the location has historic significance and the two or three restaurants on location were lovely.
I only want to add a brief cautionary note. When my family and I were about to leave Mayaland, we made two quick stops: one in the gift shop and another at the bar to buy bottles of water for our trip. Then we returned to our bungalow to pick up our luggage and check out. Before I'd even reached the check out desk, I realised that I'd left my daughter's brand new digital camera in either the gift shop or at the bar. I ran back to both places and was told that neither had the camera.
Three things are worth adding here. First of all, only two employees were in each place, i.e., no tourists, either while we were there the first time or when I returned. Secondly, the hotel manager said that he would contact me if anyone turned in the camera; but he did not even call, let alone return with me, to either the gift shop or the bar. (And, again, it was a quiet time. No one else was at the desk requiring assistance.) Finally, to reiterate, very little time had passed between the time that I made the mistake of laying down the camera and when I discovered it missing.
The manager blamed the "many tourists who walk around the grounds." He was correct that many tourists who are not even guests of Mayaland walk through it to go to the archeological site. But the time I am speaking of was quiet. Buses only began pulling up as we were leaving.
That's why I say, "Hold on to your camera" and any other possessions that you hold dear.

Luxury with bugs......

Spent four nights at the Mayaland to tour the area - it was a great base for seeing the chichen itza ruins and surrounding areas.

The hotel itself is set in beautiful grounds and with a couple of nice pools. The main restaurant has a good a la carte menu in the evenings, and a good selection for breakfast. The staff in here and the lobby bar are very friendly and helpful - i got up one morning with quite a bad cold (brought it with me) and one of the waiters disappeared, returning a few minutes later with lemsip from the on-site shop!

The bungalows were nice, comfy beds and good showers - but the thatch deposited a range of weird and wonderful bugs on our bed each night.......

Not a great deal in entertainment and the bar closes at 11pm, but as we were touring and so wanted to sleep early it didn't matter to us.....

Poor service, disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member sagirl5

We stayed one night at the Hotel Mayaland as part of a Chichen Itza overnight tour booked through Mayaland tours. While we were happy that we did this so we had a chance to see the night show in Chichen Itza and so we could get into the ruins early the next morning, we were very disappointed with the staff and with the hotel.

Our two major complaints are about the staff and about the fact that you have to BUY bottled water at the hotel in order to have water to drink and brush your teeth.

At $3 per bottle of water, this is RIDICULOUS. If I had known this in advance, we would have brought our own drinkable water. I think that if you are paying to stay at a hotel, they have the obligation to provide you with water that is safe for you to drink!!!

The front desk staff were also uncaring and unhelpful. They really exuded this attitude that they could not be bothered by us and we were only nice and courteous with them at all times. I was surprised by how terrible they were. They pretended they didn't even know what time the park opened in the morning!!! We ended up going in late to the park because they gave us the wrong information about what time it opened. :-(

Yes the hotel itself is beautiful and we're glad we were able to stay overnight near Chichen Itza but if we went again in the future, we'd probably think twice before staying here.

Magical

by TripAdvisor Member 2bTraveling

This was our second time staying at the Mayaland Resort. This time we were in bungalow Morely 3 on June 28 - 30th of 2005. We reserved a king sized bed but ended up with 2 doubles instead. The hotel tried to fix it but were unable to. The room we had was too far away from the restaurants and bar. We also had a mouse in the room (and on the bed). Since there was a big hole in the wall, I'm not surprised. We used the umbrellas in the closet to usher it out.

The resort is beautiful and if you want to really enjoy the ruins, stay here. The resort next to the ruins with the jungle all around make it very magical. At night the fireflies come out. The grounds of this resort are magnificent. The pools are beautiful and scattered throughout. There is a new pool next to the main building that we didn't try but looked wonderful. The grounds are so big you will often find that you have a pool all to yourself.

This is a great place for kids. There is plenty to see. The pools are great. The iguanas are everywhere. Peacocks roam the resort. TV and air conditioning are a bonus.

This resort looks civilized but as the mouse reminded us, we were staying in the middle of the jungle.

Bring bug spray since you are in the jungle.
Try and stay two days to really relax and still see the ruins.
Hire a guide for the ruins, it is well worth it.
The drive from Cancun is easy on the toll road.
If you come from Tulum you can stop at Coba on the way.

No quiet in Paradise- or manners

We changed travel plans because of Hurricane Wilma and gave up our hut on the beach for five nights at Mayaland. We've stayed in huts and bungalows so knew what to expect. The grounds are beautiful and the bungalows look great but the staff at reception were continuously awful except for a european girl on work experience.
We loved our bungalow and spent the first night very happy and quiet, then came the coaches. You can hear EVERYTHING in the neighbouring bungalows especially the ones with adjoining doors to yours, people breaking wind, loud television, aircon generators on all night by our window, the lot, no sleep, night after night after night, no room transfer offered, complaints fell on deaf ears. We were always polite and courteous. This is not for a romantic break.
It is also like a bus station with many coach parties coming in at lunch then leaving at 5a.m.( our morning wake up call) The food was not great especially for the price, and many of the staff just didn't seem to want to be there or serve us, we felt as if we were overstaying our welcome in a mutinous house. It is not worth the money, and should not be billed 5 star.
The staff were un co-operative in an emergency- many people were needing to know the state of East Yucatan and the airport etc because of the hurricane, there was either no information or very wrong information, and lots of pouting and shaking of heads. It staggers me that people with a pathological hate of tourists and being helpful, train to be in the hospitality industry .

My photos of Yucatan Travels

by vrfab

"Chichen Itza"

"Cabanas el Gato south of Tulum"

what a deal for $8.00 a night!!

"Hotel Mayaland @ Chichen Itza"

A stone's throw away from the ruins.

Comments