Calle 53 #475B x Calle 54, Merida, Yucatan, 97000, Mexico

• Wonderful Experience

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Julamis for four nights in March 2011 and feel it is unquestionably the best B. and B.
    in Merida. Mel and Erid, the owners make you feel truly welcome. Julamis is located in Centro and each room is unique and beautifully decorated.

Unique Quality: Breakfast is served each morning in a lovely garden terrace. The food is excellent and consists of fresh fruit, freshly squeezed juice, eggs cooked to your preference, wonderful fresh European style bread and the best coffee you'll find antwhere in Merida. We can't wait to return !

Directions: Located in Centro the Julamis is within walking distance of the Louis Galvez market, Plaza Grande and the famous Cathedral.

More about Hotel Julamis

Hotel Julamis, Home away from Home

by TripAdvisor Member Cocologic

Once I arrived in this beautiful City without my luggage in tow; I set off to find my Hotel driving a rental car. Located in the thriving Historical Center sets the lovely Hotel Julamis; Erid and Mel the Owners Welcome me with open arms and a change of clothes after realizing my luggage was probably vacationing in Mexico City. My room was fresh and breezy with original Colonial tiles throughout, high ceilings, spacious bathroom; my bed had white cotton linen sheets and perfect fluffy pillows to dream on. The Julamis has a open air court yard on the main floor and upstairs balconies with hammocks to drift away in during the day if you so desire. You are not confined to your room by any means the interior design of the Julamis lends to interaction with others if you so desire. The guess I encountered were from all over the World and they too seemed very content and well taken care of in the hands of Erid and Mel. And yes, my luggage finally arrived and just in time for more adventures in magical Merida. Saludos!

Constance - California

Warm and Hospitable

by TripAdvisor Member Loebe

Hotel Julamis was a steal of a deal. The hotel is centrally located and the owners went above and beyond the call of duty to make us feel welcome and to assist us in getting around Merida and the surrounding area. The best part is the breakfast. I highly recommend this property and am sure I will return.

We loved Hotel Julamis

by TripAdvisor Member mikesmythus

Located in Centro Merida, Hotel Julamis is close to everything you want to visit in this wonderful Spanish Colonial city yet off the tourist track so that you get a real feel for the city and its people. From the street the hotel is unassuming with a corner front door and no sign. Knock and Mel will usher you inside to the spacious lobby. Just beyond is a plant-filled courtyard where breakfast (fresh fruits, cereal, toast, coffee) is served daily from 8-9 a.m. as the city comes to life. Our room was large and airy with a delightful cross breeze. Outside the window was a roof-top patio where we could nap in a hammock or read sprawled on hand-made lounges, all at tree-top height. One night we dined directly across the street at D'Al, a restaurant praised by the NY Times, but oh, so casual and typical of the serendipitus un-Westernized eateries one delights in finding. Our stay at Julamis would not have been as delightful as it was had it not been for Mel, one of the two owners. He was always helpful and on hand, very understanding of two non-Spanish speaking gringos and very gracious in answering every question we had about the hotel, himself, the city and Yucatecan life. As a Cuban-born architect who taught high schoolers in New York City for years before becoming a hotelier, his equanimity, friendliness and patience were very much appreciated by us.

Great place, great service

by TripAdvisor Member Wakethedog

Our family was staying in March for five days in Merida. We choosed Julamis because it looked clean, nice and seemed to have a more personal service. And that was the way it was! Its a traditional house, that has kept his special atmosphere. You will find many nice and arty accessoires around. Just beautiful. What we liked the most was the relaxed and very friendly treatment by the owner Mel. He is a very inspiring person. We were staying one month in Mexico, changing the places five times. When we arrived at home I asked my little son (3 years old), which hotel he liked the most. His answer was Julamis. I think that too (also regarding the price). I bought also one bag(?) of the great organic coffe you get at breakfast at Julamis. So it feels also now back home every morning still a little bit like holidays.

Merida Jewel

by TripAdvisor Member mujeriego

Well I don't know what happened with the backpackers below but I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Hotel Julamis. I was there a full week and found Mel to be a prince of a fellow who even went so far as to accompany me to a property I was considering buying. The hotel has some outstanding rooms and the ambience is delightful. I generally avoid bed and breakfast type setups because I don't like feeling forced to fraternize with owners/guests, but in this case exactly the right balance was struck between friendliness and letting you have your own space. It's true that breakfast is only offered certain hours but what's the big deal? I was surprised, at the rate I was paying--which is among the lowest in Merida and certainly for a hotel of this calibre--that breakfast was offered at all.

I Adore Hotel Julamis!

by TripAdvisor Member leshatz

I had a wonderful few days at Hotel Julamis and would recommend it highly to anyone. As other reviews indicate, it's more like an intimate bed and breakfast - and I felt more like Mel's house guest than a paying customer. Mel was extremely accommodating, available, and offered some great tips about exploring Merida (along with very exact directions!). I left feeling like I had made a friend.

Julamis was one of the few places I've been where the photos don't really do it justice. The guest rooms were simple (but elegantly furnished) and extremely clean; the common spaces reminded me of a warmer version of boutique hotels a la South Beach; and I loved all the carefully placed art (including some of Mel's own sculptures and paintings.

The location is a close walk into the main plaza, market and some of the bus stations - and as a solo female traveler I felt very safe walking around day and night. It was pretty hot during my stay, but even without AC I was pleasantly cool in my room.

The ONLY drawback is that there's a bit of street noise (though this being Merida, it dies down early). If that really bothers you, ask for the second floor room where the windows face the interior courtyard. If I had known, I also would have snagged this, because it also offers a cool private entrance to the second floor terrace.

loved the hotel, nice atmosphere

by TripAdvisor Member zwaagstra_d

when i arrived at the hotel i looked around a bit without the owner being present at the counter, but although i had not looked for him yet, he apoligized for not being there and immediately gave me an upgrade. How about this hospitality! The hotel is beautifully set up with a nice patio and with nice paintings in the hallway and the room. The room i occupied was spacious with a nice bathroom (no tv by the way). The atmosphere is relaxed, tranquil, and the owner Mel was very helpful with giving information. I can recommand this place surely for couples or single travelers, less for backpackers.

Great place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member HotRodPinata

The hotel was clean and well maintained. It is centrally located so that we were able to walk to many places easily. Even the area near the hotel was comfortable, interesting and safe. Mel, the owner, was happy to offer help with sightseeing and directions. He was well mannered, polite and accomodating. We stayed there while we toured Merida and the surrounding area for three nights. We highly recommend this hotel. You can email me with any questions: robert.castro@hotrodpinata.com

Julamis, excellent service

by TripAdvisor Member EvelynSpain

We found the hotel comfortable and stylish, the owners give it an individual feel and are friendly, helpful and caring, not forgetting Kiko the dog and Felix the cat, making it homely. The hotel is centrally situated for all the historic buildings, also the market, and it is easy to get to the coastal areas also the Mayan ruins from there.

Feeling at home in merida

by TripAdvisor Member finchleydawg

Hola fellow travellers..
We travelled by bus around the yucatan and like to stay at the hotels with character and found it at Julamis. Found it on the internet.
We had a wonderful relaxed 3 day stay at Julamis. We felt right at home and Mel was very helpful in suggesting ways that we could experience Merida. The location of the hotel is great for walking everywhere. We loved the little jazz bar around the corner. The room was very spacious and amazing with lots of character. Mel was able to arrange for our laundry to be done. A beautiful job of renovating the place. Would definately stay there again. Next time we would stay over the weekend to experience the closing down of the streets in the downtown area. We took a taxi to leave from the ADO bus station.
Thanks...