Hotel Montejo Palace

Paseo de Montejo 483-C, Between 39 and 41 Col Centro, Merida, Yucatan Peninsula, 97000, Mexico
Montejo Palace
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 29% less but rated 53% lower than other 3 star hotels

More about Mérida

Chac MoolChac Mool

SwimmingSwimming

Dancers in the parkDancers in the park

The band setting upThe band setting up

Transport from Cancun to Chelem

by jhiggins

Hi everyone,
We are taking a trip to Chelem in August. We will be arriving at Cancun. If we hire a car just to get to Chelem, is there a drop off point? If we take the bus from Cancun, can we get a bus all the way to Chelem, or will we have to change to a taxi at some point?
Thank you !!

by Redlats

I doubt that you will be able to rent a car for a one-way trip from Cancun to Chelem - at least I have never heard of anyone doing that. There is a first class bus from Cancun to Merida - takes about four 1/2 hours - costs about $25 or $30US each person - see http://www.ticketbus.com.mx. Then you can take a taxi to Chelem - costs about $50US from Merida to Chelem.

by Redlats

By the way, You also have to take a local bus or taxi from the Cancun airport to the ADO bus station at the corner of Avenida Uxmal and Avenida Tulum (in downtown Cancun).

by Gatopardo

My little grasshopper, follow Redlats San advice and you will find the truth, or at least, your way from Cancun to Chelem via Merida.

Peace and may the force be with you.

by WilliamLawson

The bus routes as listed above will definitely get you to your destination! If you stop at the Valladolid rest stop on the toll highway, make sure to have some Yucatecan food there (I recommend Doña Tere myself). You'll sleep like a baby till Merida with a happy stomach!

If you are not up to the bus option, a more direct approach from Cancun to Chelem can be had. Let me know if I can help.

Travel Tips for Mérida

European Mexico

by katmai

Though many visitors to the Yucatan head for the beaches of Cancun making Merida your home base for a few days is very good. Merida has a european feel to it given it's arcitecture seems to have spanish colonial influences and possibly french as well. The broad avenue lined with trees adds to this.

Be Prepared for the Heat

by dek516

In the spring and summer, shorts, skirts, t-shirts and tank tops are the best options to handle the heat . The streets are flat and easy to manage, so a pair of flip flops or sandals are a good way to keep your feet cool. Sun lotion for the fair-skinned is a must. The mosquitos can be vicious, so some strong bug spray is also a good idea. Although many people dress casually, the atmosphere on Sundays in Merida is slightly dressier, so consider a nicer outfit if you're there on a Sunday.

Ruta Puuc: the Red Bus Tour

by darthmilmo

The next day I took the Ruta Puuc bus to enjoy four other Mayan Puuc sites. In my head I kept singing that eighties song... 'I think I’m turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so....' hehehe. The red tour bus stopped only 30 minutes on each site.

Free Cultural Events

by SJTravel

Merida offers free cultural events almost every day. You can pick up a guide in the Tourist Information office to let you know where and when the events will take place. I went to several of these events and had a blast. You would think that these events would be filled with tourists, but they are actually filled with locals. They are great ways to see what Meridans do and how they appreciate their culture, their city, and their people. Definitely go to as many of the events as you can.

Side Trip to Celestun

by Jase1177

Celestun is a great side trip to take from Merida. About 60 miles from Merida, there is a wonderful ecological reserve that sits on the Gulf of Mexico. Here you will find wonder beaches, turquoise water, mangroves, and an abundance of wildlife. The most popular reason for the reserve is the flamingos that inhabit the shallow waters. Our guide said that thousands of the pink birds flock here, although there were only a couple dozen or so when I visited in August. Our tour took us out on a small flat-bottom boat around the water, including into an estuary where the water was so clear we could see the bottom flawlessly. We were also allowed to swim in a small area surrounded by trees. After the boat tour, we went into the sleepy little town of Celestun for lunch on the beach, which afforded us plenty of time to swim in the Gulf. The beach was nearly deserted when we were there in August, although this may have been due to the hurricane that came through the area. Most hotels in Merida will have information on doing a tour. My tour included transport in a van, boat tour, and lunch for 460 $MX for a nearly full day.

Comments