Calle 55 #499 x 60 y 58, Centro, Merida, Yucatan, 97000, Mexico

• quiet urban oasis in Merida

I had a wonderful stay at the beautiful hotel in the center of Merida. The rooms are all unique and spacious, pretty and very comfortable and quiet and include kitchens and huge bathrooms. Madeline Parmet, the proprietor provides a warm welcome and lot of good information about places to eat, shop, go and helps arrange all kinds of activities. Merida is located a short distance from several fabulous archeological Mayan sites. The staff is very friendly. I would definitely recommend this hotel. Besides being lovely and comfortable it is very reasonably priced.

Unique Quality: All apartments are unique. Loving attention had been made to all little details. The common rooms are beautiful and include several sitting rooms and a beautiful little pool in a jungle-y garden setting. The location is excellent, very near the central square and St. Lucia park where weekly free outdoor concerts are held. Although it is in the center of the city the rooms are quiet and one cannot hear noise of the city, nor any sounds from other rooms.

Directions: center of the city , 1/2 block from St. Lucia Park, nest door to a church that dates from 1575

• goddessdemaya's Profile Photo

Quirky, Comfy and Right in the Center of Town

Staying at Luz En Yucatan is like staying at your grandmother's house...the one you really like, who has this great big house and lets you put your feet up anywhere. She lets you have a sip of her brandy if you want, swim in her pool, and lie around all day without telling you that you really ought to get out and see a museum.
    Luz is run by a wonderful bunch of women, headed by Madeline. It's a rambling old colonial building, with all sorts of nooks, crannies, rooms, decks, stairs, gardens and a great big pool. Every room is different and they all have kitchens.
    Its right in the center of town, close to everything. But once you close the front door behind you, you can't tell. It's quiet and peaceful, except for the parrot who likes to make sure you know he's there. She gets all sorts of interesting guests, and you can choose to keep to yourself, or mingle in one of the many common rooms that are populated with couches, hammocks, chairs, games, and even a little free bar. You're on your honor not to drink everything that's there, and if you finish a bottle, you are expected to replace it.
    The whole place runs with a loose sort of logic, and its a wonderful way to stay in the Yucatan.

Unique Quality: Pool, every room has a kitchen, plus there's a big community kitchen and dining room. The nicest room, if you can get it, is the penthouse.

Directions: Centro

More about Luz En Yucatan

Oasis in the City

by TripAdvisor Member lan2world

I stayed at Luz en Yucatan from 7/5-7/7/06 with my 7 year old son and we both fell in love with the place. We are only sorry that we were not able to spend more time in it as we used mainly as a staging area for our day trips. I was a little apprehensive about the street noise level as we had the first room off the street. I think that it is called Gladys. But. it honestly was almost unnoticeable. My son absolutely loved the anteroom with the hammock, and also the swimming pool. I agree with the previous review that this place was like an oasis of solitude in the middle of the city. I loved it's well-lived-in feel and we felt very much at home. My son was a little disappointed that the parrot was not there but he liked the cockatiels (I think that's what they were).

This was a most comfortable and relaxing place at a fantastic price. Madeline was a great hostess who left us to our own devices but gave good advice when asked. We will definitely stay there again should we find ourselves back in Merida.

Not as good as others have expressed

by TripAdvisor Member kwl

I was expecting great things from the Luz en Yucatan, especially after reading all of the great reviews. I'd have to say though that the Luz is not really all that great, and there are other, less expensive, nicer options in Merida.

We arrived to be given a room that had no outside windows. It was a strange room, large, but strange. One side of the room faced into the hallway and without the drapes closed people walking to the pool could peer right into our room. At night, a few people stayed up in the lounge area, which was right outside our room, and were socializing, which I don't have a problem with, except for it was like having a social hour in our room.

As well, our bathroom was almost outside so we had lots of bugs in there, especially cockroaches. Only one roach was really big but there were lots of small ones in the shower.

Like I said, there are many better choices in Merida. The Luz does have a great location and it does have characther but for the price, it felt like a very pricey youth hostel.

Needs a good cleaning...

by TripAdvisor Member artistandtraveler

The website's description is much better than what I experienced. I checked out after my second night. This place could be cleaner. The bathroom was dirty, the curtains in my room were very dusty, and the screen in the bedroom window was torn. Although the accommodations were large, Luz en Yucatan wasn't worth the money. The best part of the stay was the information sheet that I was given upon arrival with recommendations about places to eat, visit, shop, etc. I can say that the owner was pleasant and accommodating, but it didn't make up for the physical plant.

little oasis

by TripAdvisor Member leannmartin

Great place! As a female travelling alone, felt very safe and secure. This small, quaint hotel was clean, friendly with comfortable rooms, the bed had a good firm mattress and given its central location, was remarkably quiet! The mexican architecture has charm and facilitates a pleasing ambience conducive to conversation and meeting other travellers. Tropical foliage surrounds the pool--a wonderful place to retire after a day of touring. The hotel is in a super location--only blocks away from the main zocalo and steps away from a nearby park that hosts cultural events every thursday evening. Tom Williams, one of the new owners, was most helpful in providing information and assisting with travel arrangements and certainly made guests feel welcomed. Luz en Yucatan-- highly recommended!

Fantastic!

by TripAdvisor Member Majingtao

To all you travelers out there looking to stay at the friendliest place in Merida, Luz is it. It's so full of character and has the best location in town. It's quiet and you can walk anywhere including the continent's oldest standing church. We loved the rooms which each enjoy a unique decor and name. We stayed in the Havana room. The place is clean and very charming. The owner/managers were always there to help and offered attention to detail that one would expect in a five-star resort. I must say their sense of humor kept us laughing the entire time. They knew so much about the surrounding area like where to go, what to do and see. They helped us plan our day trips with care and professionalism. Stay here and you'll be glad you did. The incredible Mayan ruins are just a short drive away. Thanks Luz for an amazing time in the Yucatan. We will be back!

We love Luz En Yucatan!

by TripAdvisor Member fpotpalm

Tom and Don, the new owners, are doing a great job. James and I had a wonderful stay and it was very quiet. They both went out of their way to make our stay in Merida informative and comfortable. Lupita did a wonderful job also. The sheets are top quality and all cotton. Plenty of hot water and the price is perfect.
Thanks Tom and Donard. See you next year.
Frank and James

excellent lodging

by TripAdvisor Member susy03

I only stayed one night at this hotel, but it was lovely.
The room was big, clean and beautiful.
Certainly that I will go to choose again this hotel in my next stay in Mérida.
It's very pleasant and it's very central.

Favourite place to stay in Merida

by TripAdvisor Member LaGataBlanca

I travel throughout the Yucatan for six months each year, and this is my favourite place to stay in Merida. I love that each room has a small kitchen, allowing travellers more independence (and an immediate cup of java in the morning - coffee is supplied). The location is simply the best - only a couple of blocks from the main square, yet far enough away to get a good night's sleep. Luz has a "buena honda" (good vibe) that you feel throughout the place. It is a converted monastery, so each room is unique. Eclectic artwork (mostly Mexican) fills every room. There are quiet areas, social areas, and a small garden/pool in the back. It's easy to make new friends (complimentary drinks cart helps), but also great if you're just looking for some quiet time. The owners and staff are outstanding - very friendly and accomodating, and I love their "useful information" handout - basically a pocket concierge with a map. These guys think of everything. However, Luz is not meant for everyone. If you are looking for absolute luxury, then it's best to check out a hacienda. The Luz niche is simple comfort in a warm, character-filled B&B in the heart of Merida. Luz has a great website with more information. Definintely reserve in advance.

Comments