Prolongacion Calle Del Plomo, Zacatecas, Zacatecas, 98000, Mexico

More about Zacatecas

Basilica Fatima - SpireBasilica Fatima - Spire

Inside Le CreperieInside Le Creperie

Patio Interior with Maguey and GatitoPatio Interior with Maguey and Gatito

Courtyard of the monasteryCourtyard of the monastery

Visit in May 2005

by bbt

I am planning a trip to Zacatecas in May 2005. I will be only carring what I can get in a back pack. Plan on staying about a week. Don't worry , I plan on washing some stuff while I am there. Where would you recommend staying that is not too expensive but clean and relatively safe. I don't speak much spanish (mostly words) and understand even less. This will give me a chance to learn more out of necessity. What do they call it immerison? Check my bbt home page since I don't know how to get my picture over here. I live in the Dallas, Texas area.

Re: Visit in May 2005

by AnnaLupilla

Hey there Bruce,
I've been to Zacatecas in early february last year ... don't know if you feel comfortable with that kind of accomodation, but I can recommend you the Hostel Colonial. There is no age limit in hostels in Mexico, and I've seen people of all ages in this hostel, which is located in the very center of the city (Primero De Mayo Y Callejón Mono Prieto). Prices are more than great, facilities:
Facilities:
-24 hour reception with English spoken
-Lounge area with TV and cable
-Fully contained self serve kitchen
-Free tea and coffee
-Roof top patio with a superb view
-Security Lockers
-Public Telephone
-Information on local sights and tour bookings
-Laundry service
-Small shop and refreshments available
-Bus information
- Airport Pick Up
- Bicycle Hire
- Linen Included
- Towels
- and some of the friendliest staff I ever met while travelling (and I know what I am talking about, as I worked in HI-affiliated hostels all through Mexico for about six months).

Hi Annal

Great information! . That is exactly what I was looking for. I assume you do not make reservations since it is manned 24 hours? .Do you have a home page? I will try to find it if so. Where do you live? . Also one other think about the weather. I would guess it is about the same in May as September. Did not want to bring a jacket but probably had better. Thanks again for the information.....Bruce

by AnnaLupilla

Hey Bruce,
great you liked my tip. Waiting for your report of the holiday then :-)
About reservation ... to be true I don't know, as I never had to make one. But I think, if you like to have a room on your own, you should make a reservation, and - referring on the time of year you want to go - as well. I have been to Zacatecas in early january for three days, and we had little SNOW. I would have stayed little longer, but I was wanted to visit family in the US, so I made a spontanuous "short trip" from Zacatecas to Colorado Springs/Aspen/Vail for few days and back to Mexico city.
Of course I have a homepage as well, http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/84b16/ this is it. But ... regarding to the fact of being new here ... it's not yet finished (and probably never will be).
Saludos desde Germany

by bbt

O.K. I will keep you posted on how things are going. I will be in Colorado (Keystone) skiing over thanks giving. First things first then it is Mexico in spring /early summer. Thanks again...bruce P.S(after looking at everyone elses homepages I hate for them to see mine)

Travel Tips for Zacatecas

Attend the Annual Cultural Festival

by Jetgirly

Every year Zacatecas plays host to a huge cultural festival that includes big-name concerts, local musical artists, theatre, film, lectures and other cultural activities. Admission to most of the events (including the major concerts) is free. This year, I saw Gloria Gaynor perform, and the next night I had a front-row seat for Dulce Pontes' concert. Other acts scheduled to perform included Bob Dylan and Cesaria Evora. Concerts take place in the Plaza de Armas (beside the Cathedral), with other events spread over the city at locations such as the Teatro Fernando Calderon (mostly dance), Plazuela Goita (rock concerts, mainly), Plaza 450 (children's events) and Plaza Genaro Codina (Mexican cinema). Amazingly, despite the size and significance of the festival, I can't seem to find a website for it! In 2008 the festival ran from the 12th to the 28th of March (coinciding with Semana Santa and Semana Pasqua), so if you're planning a visit to Zacatecas either in March or around Easter, check with your hotel to see if the festival will coincide with your trip.

More about the Mine

by lucyguajardo

The mina del eden is one of the most popular places, getting inside there is fantastic and is cold too coz you go very deep into the mine. One of the ways to get inside is by a little train. Is very cool try to imagine the way of living and working of the miners in that time.

Teleférico

by fidoopy

In the teleférico you go from the top of a mountain to another crossing part of the city. the view is fantastic and is an unforgetable experience, for the children specially, the [teléferico] has capacity for 6 people and they relate you their history during the journey.

Silver Heart Covered by Pink, this is Zacatecas

by Gatopardo

"About the city"

Zacatecas is a city in the middle of nowhere, the capital of the state of Zacatecas. You can find it north of Guadalajara, east of Durango, west of San Luis Potosi and South of Monterrey and Coahuila. It was founded 1548, two years after the nearby discovery of silver, and became an officially-recognized city in 1584. Its population as of 2005 was approximately 745,000 but you can still read the signs in the city calling for 250,000 humans, it has a town attached to you can tell the city is growing more to the east carretera Aguascalientes.

You can take a flight from Denver, Chicago and LA.. or stop in Mexico city and then fly to Aguascalientes.. the thing is Flights to Zacatecas are a little bit more expensive than the way they should be! but it's a small airport with 2 gates only.. so that explains.. what we do is we fly to Big cities and then we drive down to Zacatecas, it's worth the trip! because you get to see more states and feel unique to this silver colony instead of days and days in one single place, well i feel more special because it's not very touristy even if the city calls for it.. it's more about finding special treasures..

Just make sure you hit the right season, so you can get a good hotel deal..
There are two or three special dates where it can be ok to visit but depending on how many people you can to see and how many things you want to do.

Sept - FENAZA Feria Nacional de Zacatecas
Easter - Semana Cultural
... sometime on april? or august? I need to ask for this one.. it's the one i like the most, the Festival del Folclor.. the tourism office has a website turismozacatecas.com and they tell you the exact dates so you can decide to see more or just hit in the peaceful timing..

It is built in a deep, narrow ravine, 2450 m (8050 ft) above sea level, I am still thinking it's abit more when you climb El Cerro de La Bufa to the very top or drive to where the city was very very originaly started almost funded in VetaGrande, just couple kilometers behind La Bufa, north.

The city is about hundreds and hundreds of super narrow, crooked two way most of times streets (callejones in Spanish) climbing the steep hillsides, and white, flat-roofed houses, one on top of the other, so we usually wear confortable shoes or clothing... ah! it's usually windy and dry, plus fresh, we always wear fot 50F.. but temperature sometimes can play fun and increase a bit, never more than 70 or 80 the super max and in the summer.. or can drop to 40's.. and less and less.. buildings are kind of cold so wear warm at night.. we always had troubles with hot water.. so just make sure you bring aspirins and your hotel or friends always have hot water...

The colonial historic distric is a UNESCO World Heritage site and features elaborately decorated buildings, cobblestoned streets, and wrought-iron lanterns. The more modern outer suburbs are a mix of cinderblock shanties and gated communities for the wealthy. You can read and find the original, i think they are original, paperwork from the city fundation and the UNESCO recognition in the MUSEO RAFAEL CORONEL or the same thing, known as the Museo de las Mascaras.. I was very impressed to read the signature from: ME, The King... as it calls in the old old old document.

The cathedral is an elaborately carved red-stone(cantera) structure, but its once richly decorated interior was looted during the civil wars of the 19th and 20th centuries. Churches abound, and many have recently been converted into art galleries or museums.

Overlooking the city from an elevation of 150 m (500 ft) is the Cerro de la Bufa, a rocky outcropping crowned by a chapel and which is a popular spot for hiking and taking in the view of the city below. The city is also famous for its "Teleferico", an aerial tramway built by an Austrian company in 1978. The tramway starts at the Cerro del Grillo and "flies" over downtown Zacatecas giving passengers a breathtaking view of the city. The tramway then climbs up to the Cerro de la Bufa were passengers can either visit a museum or enjoy the view of the city.

Zacatecas was founded in 1546 and was built over a rich vein of silver discovered by Juan de Tolosa in the same year. This and other mines in the vicinity attracted a large population, and it soon became one of the chief mining centres of Mexico.

Mining is now no longer as important a part of the local economy, and in fact the primary mine (the Mina El Edén) has been converted into a tourist attraction, including an underground disco in a large hollowed out cave. Indeed, the city of Zacatecas is a popular tourist destination for Mexicans, and many of the local businesses cater to them.

Comments