Alpine Bay Hotels

Our Members Say

• grandmaR profile photo grandmaR
  • Reviews: 6579

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Dogwood Hills at Alpine Bay: Condo in the Hills

We got up to the check-in place a little after 3, and saw things taped to the door so I went up (in the rain). The sign on the door said that the office would be closed the 24th and 25th, so I got the envelope with our name on it. After I got back to the car I realized that what was in the envelope was a combination for a lock on a wooden box back up on the porch. So I went out into the rain again, climbed the steps, unlocked the box and got our packet.

The packet had directions to the unit, two TV remotes, 2 front door keys, one garbage dumpster key, and two parking passes. All except the parking passes would require payment if we lost them. We went past two other sections of condos and past the water tower and down to the bottom of the hill and then back up the other side. We are in 4B. Later I walked up the hill and around and took a picture of the unit from the one way road in (last picture)

The website says: The on-site 18-hole Robert Trent Jones course will please the golfer, and an outdoor pool or your condominium’s whirlpool tub will relax body and soul. Anglers will enjoy fishing on beautiful Logan Martin Lake, just a few miles down the road. And for sightseers, DeSota Caverns and Talladega Speedway are 25 miles away, with Birmingham about an hour’s drive.

The condos are not for rent. One of them for week 6 is for sale for $1000 with an Annual Maintenance Fees: of US$343

The unit has a fireplace, TV, and couch/sleep sofa area (2nd photo) downstairs, a bathroom with a shower, a table with 4 chairs and a full kitchen with a dishwasher (3rd photo). There is a deck looking out over the mountain (we are almost on the top).

Upstairs is a room with a queen bed which has a very strange headboard, a TV on a cheap chest of drawers (no guides for the drawers), and an upholstered chair. What is strange about the bed is that it is right up against a kind of chest so that there's nothing to stop the pillows from sliding onto the shelf made of the top of the chest There is a mirror on the back of the shelf, and recessed lights along the top but not strong enough to read by. I have put my duffle on the shelf so I have something to brace the pillows on and moved the one lamp over to the bed headboard so we can see.. There is also a balcony off the upstairs bedrooms. The stairs have very narrow treads.

There's another room with twin beds and no TV or lights other than the ceiling light, and a bathroom with what is supposed to be a jacuzzi in the tub (it didn't work). The light is behind the bathroom door so you have to go all the way in and around the door to turn it on.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Family Travel, Luxury Travel, Hiking and Walking
  • Written December 25, 2005
Tip Photo

Driveway side of the unit

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful