1400 Jefferson Davis Highway, Arlington, Virginia, 22202, United States
Expedia.com Travelocity AMOMA.com

More about Americana

Best value in the area!

by TripAdvisor Member scooterbabe

At first glance, this hotel may not appear to be the Hilton, but what it may lack in outward appearance is more than made up by the great service and value.
The hotel staff is friendly, helpful and very accomodating to individual situations and needs.
It is located conveniently close to the Crystal City
Metro and to Crystal City & Pentagon City shopping and
eateries.
A Budget car rental is conveniently located about a
block or two up S. Eads St., which was perfect for our
needs.
The hotel shuttle driver was willing to take us anywhere within a reasonable distance. The rooms were comfortable and clean. A few maintenance
issues were evident, but we easily overlooked them because of the reasonable rates and proximity.
Most likely, it is the best lodging value in the entire Arlington area...and the Continental breakfast was a bonus!

What America is all about!

by TripAdvisor Member julesmad

We were so happy we stayed here. It was so worth it to stay at this hotel. The staff helped us in every way from planning our subway trip to our conference, to shuttling us around (and around and around). The driver took us to restaurants we really loved and later dropped us at a great place to shop, and even offered to come pick us up (all for free). The hotel really is family owned and we really felt like we were one of the family. I would much rather pay my money to a hotel and people like this who really care than a big chain that does not. This is really what American service and capitalism is all about!

Basic, but Great Value

Although the furnishing were basic, the service and cleanliness of the hotel more than made up for it. I was meeting some friends in the city and arrived several hours before them. The shuttle picked me up within 10 minutes from the Metro station and brought me back. They showed me how to walk there and helped plan a route to go and meet my friends, who were coming in on a bus. Very helpful staff and we were delighted to find a refrigerator in our room! We look forward to staying there again this spring.

Great Value

Very accommodating folks, very reasonable prices. Rooms were clean and relatively spacious, bathrooms were dated but clean. Great water pressure and hot water. Not so many toiletries, just the basic soap and shampoo. As mentioned before, standard key locks on the doors, so if you are a nervous type, bring an auxiliary lock. No phone in the room.

We arrived early Friday morning, the room was not ready but they let us park there since we had a reservation for that night. The continental breakfast was nothing fancy, bagels, doughnuts, and muffins, juice, instant coffee and tea. It was certainly adequate for me as I am not a breakfast person. It was served in the sunny lobby, set up with tables and chairs.

It was a little hard to find from the highway, but we saw the sign on the exit ramp from Rt 1, got off at the next exit and circled around. Traffic was not bad when we were there.

If you need internet access you should probably ask when you book your room, as not all rooms have access. I was directed to a sofa down the hall from my room where I could access the net, but I would have preferred to be in my room.

The hotel does not seem very handicapped accessible, not surprising since it has not been renovated in decades. There are two steps up into the lobby, and about 4 more steps up from there to the elevator. But I think the elevator goes down to the parking lot level under the building, so you could probably go directly to the rooms with no problem. But not, however, to the lobby for breakfast or the front desk.

Americana Can't Be Beat

My husband & I stayed at the Americana 3/19-3/24/06 on a combination pleasure business trip. If you are looking for a clean, convenient (excellent) location while visiting DC this is the place to stay. It is a short walk to the metro but free shuttle service is also available not only to the metros and airport but to local malls and restaurants. The rooms, while not the fanciest, were clean, large and QUIET and even had a small refrigerator. The breakfast had all the donuts, muffins, bagels and croissants you could eat and those left over were left out for guests through out the day along with fresh coffee and water for tea. While my husband's company would willing put him up in any hotel in the area, this will be the one we come back to.

Good price, Good location

by TripAdvisor Member traveljunkie20

Great location at a good price ($99-after a $10 coupon discount). Our room was large and clean. Bathroom was old – no hair dryer. Rooms had an iron and a small fridge too.
Nice continental breakfast of donuts, muffins, bagels, cream cheese, cocoa, tea, coffee and juice. Newspapers available in the lobby. Vending machines also there in the lobby.
Plenty of free parking available Conveniently located from a block from the Metro stop (underneath the Marriot). If you are driving downtown it takes 10-15 mins.
Staff was helpful whenever we went for help with directions, but as mentioned in other reviews not very friendly!

Hmmm Ho hum

We were visiting D.C. during the Cherry Blossom Festival so it was a packed week in D.C. Most hotels were booked up. The Americana is so basic it isn't even funny. It depends on what you want if this is the hotel for you. I would rate it on a 1-5 star basis, 5 being high: location 5, cleanliness 3, service 3, overall 3.

Breakfast: very bare, includes bagels (if you are lucky), donuts, coffee, OJ, water. That's it.... So if you like fried carbs, you are in luck.

Rooms: average size. No clock, old beds with mattresses about 3 inches thick (not kidding), but there were actually okay comfortable wise. They are double beds, so don't expect any size... Bedding was okay, and the beds didn't pitch you toward the center. Most are on outside halls.

Bathroom: Tiny, old. You cannot get more than one person in it, unless one is standing in the bathtub. The towels are like sandpaper - literally. When you dry off, you didn't really need to shower as it takes the top layer of skin off. I've stayed at a lot of hotels, but none where there were towels rough like this.

Cleanliness: Not too bad. Very worn, but fairly clean.

Safety: You can see outside under the door (this actually leads outside). I don't know why bugs didn't crawl in, but they didn't seem to. The doors are old lock doors, with no deadbolt. If I had been on my own, without my husband, I wouldn't have felt safe there. When we arrived, the bathroom window had been left open. There is no screen, so we had to kill a few insects. I personally blocked the window with a bottle, as they are very rickety and hold no safety in them. The area overall seems safe, so... We did have one incident when an older gentleman had been told there were no vacancies, and he left and tried to talk to us as he was leaving, pulling his suitcase, telling us "they all were out for blood, and don't let them catch you, they're trying to get your blood", and was holding his left arm. The lady at the desk asked us what happened, then went to lock the elevator off at the lower level (which according to their policy should have been done several hours before at 6:00).

The Americana was built around 1960. Not much updating since. Still reasonably clean. You get NO extras, and breakfast is very minimal. The location is about 1 1/2 blocks from the Metro (Crystal City), so it is very convenient, as both yellow and blue lines stop there. We paid $120 per night, which is a rip off for what you get, but again, location....

We expected awesome desk staff based on other comments in tripadvisor.com. She was very pleasant, but was so busy, being the only staff person there, that she was able to tell us very little. The phone rang constantly, and others were waiting to check in and out. One time when we entered (we were there 5 days), she wasn't busy, and was very friendly to us.

I would probably not stay here again, if I could get a reasonable rate somewhere else.

The shuttle driver was pleasant and friendly. They offered to take us and pick us up from restaurants each night. The first night we went, we called right before we left the restaurant and it took him 28 minutes to get us. As there was parking available on the streets, and free lots in the evening, we drove each night after that to restaurants on our own. From what he said, he goes to the airport every half hour for pick ups.

I recommend the following restaurants nearby: Cafe Italia (we had excellent food and awesome service); Ted Montana's (beef, bison, chicken, etc). Again, excellent food and service. Chipotle (fast food type Mexican), very filling and good and fast. The desk clerk referred us to Charlie Chaings (Asian) the first night. It was okay food, average prices, but it was very dirty (I had to kick noodles away under my chair) and the wait staff was very unfriendly, so I wouldn't recommend it.

This place made me smile!

by TripAdvisor Member tcgirlie

My friend and I wanted to make a quick weekend trip to DC. I researched for HOURS trying to find an affordable and decent (hard to do in the DC area) hotel. The Americana was definitely affordable and more than decent. Just like earlier reviews, it is definitely a throwback to yesteryear, but I loved that about the place! I am a traveler and I would rather stay in the unique places than the well-known chains because it makes my trip all the more memorable...this was no different. It's family-owned, and I loved that as well. The owner was your quintessential story-telling grandfather. He knew his history and loved his town. And I had a blast sharing a cup of coffee and a donut with him one morning, just talking. I'm a huge history buff and really enjoyed just listening to his stories. And, he gave us some insider info on seeing the sights and booking a tour.
I do agree that it is a little difficult to get to--not to find. You can see it quite clearly!! Just after you see it, you've already missed your chance to turn!! So, as a bit of advice...if you're coming down the road and the you can see the Marriot on your right...turn left at the Marriot, then make a quick right. If you can remember that, you'll save yourself a lot of time!!! haha.
The rooms were really comfortable and the bathrooms hilarious!! Such a 60s throwback. But it was awesome!! I thought it added character and charm. The whole place was this way! And I loved every minute of it.
The location is fantastic...couldn't get any better for the money. A block and a half to the metro. And a shopping center, Target, and lots or restaurants right up the road. I am planning a trip for my parents and I and we'll stay at the Americana again. I wouldn't stay anywhere else!

Great DC Hotel for families on a budget!

by TripAdvisor Member scbucks

Based on other hotels that were in this price range ($99/night, We are a family on a budget) this hotel was a pleasant surprise. We stayed at the Americana for 6 nights while visiting DC. It was clean, a block away from the Metro, (We purchased a seven day Metro pass which was just what we needed.....who wants to drive in DC traffic on their vacation???), FREE parking, the staff was helpful and nice, and they had free donuts and bagels every morning.

Overall, it was a basic hotel but for people on a budget, it was a great deal. Especially for what other hotels in this area charge. I would reccommend this hotel to others and would stay here again if in the DC/Arlington area.

By the way, while in DC dont forget to go to Ben's Chili Bowl on U street. They are affordable, the atmosphere is great and the food is awesome. (Chili dogs, hamburgers, fries, chili cheese fries, etc.).

Great value for money, friendliest staff I ever met

I am not going to write a long review as I find myself to be in agreement with almost all has been said about this hotel by other reviewers. I landed at this hotel by pure chance, I was staying at the Hyatt but had to move out because I had not reserved in time and they had no room available. Given that it was graduation week it was impossible to find a room in any other of the chain hotels. I had almost given up when I saw this hotel and gave it a try.

Frankly, the outside and the reception area gave me the creeps - straight out of the 1960s, I wonder if any renovation was ever done here. I nevertheless took the risk of staying. The lift was horrible, the key looked ominous (no card, an old-fashioned key and they don't even give you a key ring, it's just a stand-alone key) so I steeled myself for the room - which was SUCH A PLEASANT SURPRISE!! It was so clean and so luminous, thanks to a full-length window overlooking a nice garden...It was also very quiet despite the fact that the highway is not far. The furniture was not new but in very good condition, and immaculately clean. I found the décor simple but tasteful, in 60's style; on top of that the room was big.

Another big plus of this hotel is that for the first time in my life the lighting was not at all dim but nice and strong, which surely contributes to the cleanliness and the cheerful atmosphere in this hotel. Frankly, I've been to hotels where you pay $500 a night that had much worse lighting. The bathroom is not perfect but OK and again, very clean.
I cannot express how happy I felt that I had left the dreadful Hyatt Arlington which costs double the price!

The hotel offers some really brilliant services for free: they will actually TAKE you by car to nearby places like restaurants. I never experienced anything like that, at most other hotels they will just call you a cab. There, I needed to go to a florist, instead of giving me directions they took me by car and waited for me outside. Another time they took me by car to a restaurant. And the most amazing of all was that when I offered the young man a tip at the moment of leaving (I hadn't done it before because I wanted to do it at the end of my stay) he actually REFUSED saying he doesn't do these things just because he's out for a tip. I couldn't believe it!!!

Summing up, I strongly recommend this hotel to anyone unless you need a glitzy place because ou're on ahoneymoon or something. I think this hotel and its staff deserve to prosper. The only negative point was that when someone tried to reach me by phone they told her "no one by this name is staying at the hotel" which was rather annoying as I got to know only days later. Apart from that, all was OK. It's also very conveniently located, 5 min from a metro station and a shopping mall, which is ideal for tourism. I didn't ever feel I was in danger.

Comments