gadsden is located on the coosa river in northeast alabama. gadsden is the county seat of etowah county alabama. gadsden was originally called double springs when john riley settled the area in 1825. double springs became a stage coach stop on the huntsville-rome route. in 1845 the town was renamed gadsden after colonel james gadsden of south carolina. in the late 1800's gadsden was untouched by the civil war and was a center of trade on the coosa river. in the 20 th century gadsden became an industrial town until the 1980's. today gadsden's economy is based on transportation. of interest to the tourist is gadsden's broad street historic district, noccalulla falls, and near by lookout mountain.