Holiday Inn Mobile I-10 Bellingrath Garden

More about Holiday Inn Mobile I-10 Bellingrath Garden

Bellingrath Gardens

by Gloriann

"flowers in conservatory"

These are just a few of the many beautiful flowering plants that were blooming in the conservatory the day we were there.

"flowers in conservatory"

Here are more of the flowers that were blooming inside the conservatory.

"flowers along walkway"

This picture really does not do this justice! This was a long and beautiful walkway leading to the Bellingrath home.

"Bellingrath lawn"

This is another scene along the walkway.

"Bellingrath home"

Here is one outside view of the house the Bellingraths lived in. The house is open for tours. It was very interesting to learn about the couple who once lived here. The porcelain collection that belonged to Mrs Bellingrath just took my breath away when I saw it because it was so beautiful and there were so many pieces!

"Bellingrath courtyard"

This is another view outside the Bellingrath home.

"pond by home"

This is just one view of the beautiful pond on the Bellingrath property.

"pond by home"

another view of the pond

Bellingrath Gardens

18. South Terrance
19. Monolith
20. Pool- Rebecca at the well
21. Mermaid Pool

I have just returned from Bellingrath with the woman I love.

This is one of the true joys in life, just wandering the grounds, looking at all the vibrant colors, the tantalizing smells, the array of textures, shapes sizes and colors of the thousands of plants.

Azalea's have such a pretty flower. There are few plants that capture the South or the eyes like the Azaleas. In the Spring they are so loaded with blossoms, differing shades from pink to light pink, red and white, that I wonder how the little limbs can hold them all. This is one sight that is truly Mobile in the Spring. Everywhere you see these delicious blossoms.

This is one of my favorites places, all the rich colors surrounding the courtyard. There is so much for the eyes to see. Have a seat and just enjoy the bueaty of nature this morning, resting, enjoying your favorite beverage, maybe a chat with a friend. I know someone very special to me I will be chatting with at this very spot, as WE enjoy this enchating view!!

I think this picture says it all!!!

This is so beautiful, azalea's linning the driveways and walks. Did you know there are more than 250,000 azaleas on the property? Yes, I agree...amazing!!!

BELLINGRATH GARDENS

by ABL1958

"Flower bridge over pond"

"One musn't forget the Palm Trees....!"

"Building up"

In 1927 Mrs. Bellingrath began developing the property into an estate with the aid of architect George B. Rogers.
In March of 1932 when the Depression was in full swing, Mr and Mrs. Bellingrath opened the gardens as a one-day event for the public. The response on that day was huge, with bumper-to-bumper traffic right into Mobile, so the Bellingraths decided to spend their energies on making the grounds a public garden.

"Mums by the lake..."

"My favorite flower..."

"White heron in the Cypress Swamp"

"Red Berries in the cypress swamp"

There was a raised wooden walkway that circled the cypress swamp, bringing us very close to the plant life that had it's roots deep in the water. This is just a sample of what we saw. Looking down into the water, too, we were able to see catfish and crab in the shallow muddy water.......but, alas, NO alligators! :)

"Some final views of the gardens..."

"Spanish Moss"

A very common sight in the south....silvery swaths of spanish moss draping over branches and moving gently in the breeze. This picture also shows some of the creativity of the gardeners in Bellingrath.....a huge planter with Mums hangs from the tree, enhancing it.

"And in conclusion......"

I hope you enjoyed this little walk through the gardens...I have hundreds of pictures and can't put them all here which is maybe a good thing lol. It's hard to know when to stop!
Of all the wonderful things we did on my trip to the South, this was one of my favorites. I felt so good here! Color, warmth, and light feeds the soul.

"The Entrance..."

Admission to the Gardens varies, starting at $8.50USD for adults for the garden walk only, and going up from there depending on whether you wanted a house tour or river cruise included. We chose the garden tour only, because of time limitations, but that alone took a good 2.5 hours of time as we didn't want to rush through.

I am told that other times of the year, particularly the Spring season, are worth a trip in itself, no matter how long the drive or trip. Most famous is the azalea season in March with the Garden's display of over 250,000 azalea plants! Can you just imagine??

"The Riverboat"

The Southern Belle is a U.S. Coast Guard certified 150-passenger vessel. She offers daily sight-seeing cruises, public dinner cruises, or private dinner cruises and charters. Daily sight-seeing tours are at 11 AM, 1 PM, and 3 PM. Dinner cruises which offer 3-entree meals and live music start at $27.00USD per adult.

"Flowers galore!"

In November the gardens are known for their unusual display of crysanthemums ("mums") that grow profusely throughout the grounds. Here one can see how they grow in cascades of color from a bridge over the walkway. Amazing! I love their spicy scent, too.

"and more......"

Deep pink roses.....roses of many hues and shapes and sizes. I had to pinch myself to remind me this was November 10th, not mid-July! It was like stepping back in time....leaving behind the cold bleak grayness of New England and coming to a cheerful place of color and warmth!

"Keep going....:)"

One of several beautiful fountains gracing the gardens....

"Part of the rose garden"

"The Bellingrath Mansion"

"The start of it all...."

"By God's help I am going to try and make the world better and brighter by my being here".
Walter Bellingrath

In 1917 a 60-acre parcel of land was purchased by a Walter Bellingrath when his physician advised him to "learn how to play" and told him to buy the fishing camp he loved so much. The camp began with 3 run-down houses and an overgrown jungle. Mr. Bellingrath remodeled the cabins and began making paths, having the first of a long series of parites beginning in December of 1918, as the place became "more presentable".

This picture is of the original camp.

"Grotto with mums..."

This was located near the house as you walked down to the river. The use of flowers and little waterfalls was breathtaking, peaceful.

"Boathouse"

Near the grotto.....from here we could also see many waterfowl including seagulls, ducks, heron, and, most importantly.....pelicans. A first for me! (The Pelican also happens to be Louisiana's state bird).

"Butterflies"

There was a small Butterfly Garden tucked away near the house. This is kind we saw most frequently, intermingled with the famous Monarch butterfly which migrates south each fall in droves. They are all so beautiful! The butterflies didn't know they were restricted to a particular garden lol....they were all over the place!

"And more....."

"Bamboo Tree"

Isn't it so beautiful? This one stood alone, but the bamboo stand itself was so thick there would be no way through without a machete. I recalled my parents telling me about this from their experience in Paraguay......and now I understand what they meant!

"Entrance into the Oriental Garden"

"Waterlily in the Oriental Garden"

"Bridge over water in the Oriental Garden"

Bellingrath Gardens and Home

by Ride_On

This past Christmas our friends that live in Mobile
took us to Bellingrath Gardens. I was like - yeah
right - another Christmas light display. We have done
the Christmas in the Oaks in New Orleans, but that
does not even compare. This place was beautiful and
that's an understatement. The weather was cool but just
right because it is a walking tour. There is probably
a couple of miles of paths through this place and every
bit of it lit up with lights.

I got this picture off of their website.

Bellingrath Gardens: Gardens

by msbrandysue

After going through the ticket/bathroom area you will walk into the gardens. This was one of the first views I had.

Beautiful pink!

Coming upon the rose garden. It's very neat going under the bridge.

Getting closer!

Wide open spaces of roses.

Such a well-kept area...

And so many colors!

Up close and personal of the fire-ice roses.

bellingrath gardensbellingrath gardens

Gulf Coast Road Trip!

by kymbanm

The fall, I'll be doing a road trip w/ my brother from Hollywood, Fl to our family home in New Mexico. I am thinking of taking I-10 through the Florida panhandle all the way to El Paso. I haven't heard from him about what he wants to see, but none of us a into amusement parks. Nature, history, art, and those kitcshy bits are the types of things I focus on when I road trip alone.

Are there sights I should not miss along this route?

Are there areas that are still not repaired from all of the hurricaine's last year that I should avoid ... or that I should stop in and lend a hand?

I know that Alabama will be the shortest leg of this trip, but if there is something 'not to miss' along I-10 ... well ... I wouldn't want to miss it!

BTW- Crossposting in the Florida, Miss, La, and Tx forums :)

RE: Gulf Coast Road Trip!

by jungles

If you take I-10 you'll pass straight through Mobile, my hometown. While I never really appreciated it when I lived there, looking back it's really a very nice city, and it does have some places of historical interest. Some of the major sights are Fort Conde, the USS Alabama Battleship, and Bellingrath Gardens, though the latter is a bit outside the city. There are several other historic forts in the area, and downtown Mobile has lots of beautiful antebellum homes.

I have not yet attempted to make a page about Mobile, but several other VTers like PA2AKgirl have done a good job of it. You can also check out the city's website: http://www.cityofmobile.org/ which has lots of info on attractions, restaurants, etc. There was extensive damage from last year's hurricane season, but according to the website all the major sights have reopened (though my Dad went to the city museum recently and was very disappointed; apparently it suffered heavy losses).

Also, even if you don't stop in Mobile you will pass through the tunnel that goes underneath it; most interstate travellers remember Mobile for the tunnel if nothing else.

RE: RE: Gulf Coast Road Trip!

by kymbanm

Thanks! I appreciate your help :)

Vacation 2010

by kellybum

Thinking of coming over next year starting in Atlanta then driving down to New Orleans. Can anyone suggest anywhere to stay for a few days in Alabama? Looked at Birmingham and Montgomery but not found much info. Really don't know much about Alabama so open to any suggestions please. We will be travelling with 19 year old son in June time. What's the temperature like in June?

by bocmaxima

There are many areas of Alabama that are pretty, but very few places in the state could be considered tourist destinations. The area around Muscle Shoals, close to the Mississippi/Tennessee state line is very pretty, as are the Appalachians northeast of Birmingham. The region between Montgomery and Mobile is also very pretty in parts. Huntsville has the space academy, but not enough to fill up a few days.
Really the best that Alabama has to offer is in Gulf Shores, along its coast. I think it's the best beach on the Gulf Coast, including what's in Florida.

by grandmaR

We spent some time in Alabama in December 2005. At that time, the Gulf coast was still recovering from Katrina and the other hurricanes of 20030-2004. We spent some time near Birmingham and also some time in Gulf Shores. You might spend two days in Birmingham and then a couple more in Gulf Shores. I have not spent any time in Montgomery.

Birmingham DOES have some attractions in the area that might be of interest although I don't think I would stay in Birmingham itself. My son was quite impressed that we went to Talladega where the big race track is. We stayed in that area and did a day trip to Birmingham where there is also a wonderful motorcycle museum (the Barber Motorsports Museum). We also visited the Botanical Garden, the Southern Museum of Flight, and the Sloss Furnaces.

Around Gulf Shores, you can visit Mobile, Bellingrath Gardens, and Fort Gaines and Fort Morgan (the two forts between which Admiral Farragut ordered "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!" in order to get to Mobile). There is a car ferry between the two.

by yvr

Birmingham, only one word comes to mind..boring. Weather, hot, humid, thunder storms, tornadoes.

yo

by kellybum

Many thanks for all replies. Regarding weather - does anyone think April would be a better time rather than June? It seems that June is going to be hot and humid

by grandmaR

Absolutely come in April if you can. We were there in January and although January was too cold to swim, and was sometimes a bit windy, it was still warm during the day. Spring will be much nicer.

by twouglynerds

I would recommend renting a campervan and just enjoying the route. Check out www.retrobusrental.com They have a decent destinations page to help with your planning process. You could head up to north georgia for a couple of nights and pan for gold and gems at the rock mine and they have camping there as well. N.O has tons of beautiful sites and the food is just great.

Comments