Marriott Mobile

Booking.com Priceline.com Expedia.com

More about Mobile

USS AlabamaUSS Alabama

beinville squarebeinville square

The entrance sign at Bayou La Batre AlabamaThe entrance sign at Bayou La Batre Alabama

Garden landscapeGarden landscape

Relocating/Family Friendly

by stephanie67

My husband and I are considering relocating to the Mobile area.
My question would be,is Mobile a good place to raise children,
or is there a city close by that is better suited to raise children.
I am looking for great schools,as near to private as you can get.
Thanks for reading

Re: Relocating/Family Friendly

by goodfish

This is a really good website I direct people to when looking at relocating:

It has an excellent forum for just the types of questions you will have. VT concentrates mostly on travel - City Data is more for people looking at a longer-term or permanent move.

Travel Tips for Mobile

Cottage Hill Park

by PA2AKgirl

Mobile does have quite a few parks, but Cottage Hill Park is probably my favorite. It's larger than most of them and very nice. There's a nice wooded trail that you can take--probably the reason why I like this park the best. It's quiet, pretty and an easy walk--a good "get out of Mobile without leaving" sort of place. In addition to this trail, there's also a good playground for kids, a paved loop that goes around the fields (excellent for rollerblading and running), baseball, disc golf and tennis courts. Lots of people come here, but it's never very crowded...and mostly the come to take their kids to the playground or play an organized sport. I really do enjoy the trail, though:))

To get here, take either Airport Blvd or Cottage Hill to Hillcrest. You may pass it at first, the last time I was there, the sign wasn't large at all. It's on the northbound side of Hillcrest.

Check out This Pagefor a map of the park.

Not my kind of thing, but...

by PA2AKgirl

In Mobile, it's perfectly acceptable and even preferable to buy some foods off the back of someone's pickup truck. Crawfish is a big one and boiled peanuts. I stick with the fruits and things that can't go bad immediately. Boiled peanuts are something I will never enjoy. Personally, I think peanuts are best when roasted...to me, boiled peanuts taste like the styrofoam packing peanuts you might put into a box to keep an item from breaking. Just a little more slimy. My family enjoys them, though--and whenever they were down in Mobile or I was coming home, they were requested. If you want to try them yourself, look for someone's truck parked along the street or if for some reason they aren't out, you can go for the less desirable option: a convenience store or gas station.

I remember the 1st time I saw people buying these things from someone's personal vehicle. When they told me they wanted to stop and get some boiled peanuts on the way home, I didn't think it was going to be from a flatbed. I was so confused when we stopped and I saw them exchanging money...I thought I was unknowingly part of a drug deal. She came back with a paper bag and opened it up, offered me some, and I hesitantly peered into the bag which seemed VERY heavy for a roadside drug pick up and there were things that appeared to look like blanched peanuts. Ugh.

Dauphne

by keeweechic

Daphne is located in Baldwin County on the eastern shoreline of Mobile Bay and just off I-10 and close to Pensacola Florida – best of both worlds. You can take tours through the wildlife refuges and wildflower bogs as well as the museums and historic districts.

Home Tour at Bellingrath Garden

by 807Wheaton

We were just amazed at the size of the huge pantry and storage rooms for the volume of china and other kitchen equipment.
It was displayed in corridors near the kitchen and the dining room.
Mrs. Bellingrath enjoyed dining quite formally and always had the table set for 16.

Fort Conde

by PA2AKgirl

Not enough people visit Fort Conde...and I don't understand it. Perhaps because it's downtown and a lot of people don't visit Mobile for recreation or historical reasons. (WHY NOT?!?!) I do understand that if you're thinking of a Fort in the deep south, you probably will first think of the civil war. Fort Conde has NOTHING to do with the civil war. Mobile's history is so interesting--first it was owned by the French, then the British and then the Spanish (then Americans, Republic of Alabama, the Confederacy and again, the Americans) But I'll talk more about that in a general tip. Anyway, Fort Conde, the one that is there now, is a replica of an 18th century fort right in downtown. You can take tours of it--people are dressed in period costumes and will certainly learn a lot about the area through the different occupations.

They are open every day from 8-5 with the exception of major holidays and of course, Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras) If you want a specific tour time, call the number below.

Around here you can get carriage and trolley tours of the city as well.

This picture makes me laugh. We were down at Fort Conde on Dec 12, 2004 and apparently it wasn't busy b/c this soldier was talking on his cell phone. "Okay, the traffic is light on Interstate 10 right now, might want to get the troops in place and move them on in before Monday rush hour" It's just so funny to see an 18th century soldier on a cell phone!

Comments