1 Grand Blvd, Point Clear, AL 36564

Grand Hotel Marriott Resort, Golf Club & Spa
Booking.com Marriott.com Tingo.com

• Best Hotel Ever!!

What is not to love about the Marriott Grand?? This is the one place that I want to make it a point to visit every year. Relaxing is the one word that comes to mind here. Everything is slowed down...I don't know if that is just Alabama or the hotel, but life is nice here. The people who work at the hotel, enjoy working at the hotel. They are their own little family, and I think that says something pretty spectacular about the hotel. They have always done everything within their power to make me happy there.

Unique Quality: Awesome pool. AMAZING views. Great trees. Plenty close enough to Mobile to visit for a day and also plenty close to Gulf Shores and Orange Beach to visit for day. The beds are amazing. If you leave the grounds going south, the boardwalk continues and there are the best views of amazing southern homes. The boardwalk seems to go forever. I finally had to turn around!

Directions: On the point, out of the way, somewhat difficult to find if you don't know where you are going.

More about Marriott Grand Hotel

A beautiful, relaxing place!

My husband and I stayed at The Grand Hotel Marriott Resort 5 days and 4 nights. From beginning to end, everything was absolutely delightful! The surroundings were very relaxing, and we truly had a sumptous vacation. The room was perfect in every way, and the staff was warm and friendly. I cannot wait to return!

Beautiful Resort with Great Southern Hospitality

As my first trip to Alabama, I was pleasently surprised by this beautiful resort located right on the water. I was there for business, and wished I would've been able to enjoy all the wonderful anemities this property has to offer.

For starters, only half of the resort is functioning from the damage brought by Hurricane Katrina. While it was a slight inconvenience on driving in for the first time, it wasn't a problem at all. There was no noise disruption, and from my room, I couldn't tell at all that there were renovations going on. The renovations are scheduled to be completed by November.

The best thing about the resort is definately the hospitality of the staff. Everyone who worked at the property went out of their way to accommodate our needs. While resorts and the anemities can easily be recreated, you won't find this level of customer service anywhere else.

My room was very clean and had a great view of the bay. The balcony was nice to sit and do work during the evening and watch the sun go down. The bed was simply amazing! I never slept so good in a hotel room before.

I did get a chance to visit the spa for a massage, which was very nice. The "quiet room" is a great place to relieve any stress you may have, and the massage was outstanding. I wish I would've been able to spend more time there, but I had a meeting to attend in the evening.

There are two Robert Trent Jones golf courses on-site, one of which I played (Dogwood). Very well kept courses, which were recently renovated with the flooding. Challanging, but also very quick to play. By far the nicest course I have ever played on.

The beach was nice, but small until the rest of the resort opens. There looked to be many rentals available for water sports. The pool was unbelievable. I didn't get a chance to use it, but it looked like a great place for families.

The only down side I could see, is that its located in a small town with not much else in the immediate area. But for a resort, I think that's what I would look for, a little escape from everyday life.

Because I enjoyed my stay at the Marriott Grand Hotel so much, I am planning a trip to return with family.

Nothing grand about this hotel!

For years I had heard what a beautiful and grand resort this was. We booked our reservation six months in advance and anticipated a great and luxurious vacation. Upon arrival, we were rudely treated by the Bellmen but this was nothing compared to what was to come. When we opened the door to our very expensive and so called luxury room, we couldn't believe it! The room was musty, the furniture was old and in disrepair, the carpet was stained and the draperies were torn. There was a large stain on the bedspread. There was even mold in the bathroom! I returned to the front desk and was rudely told they were full and I could not get another room. Needless to say, I checked out. (They would not refund my deposit). Ended up staying at The Radisson in downtown Mobile. Equally awful, the carpet in the room was soaking wet from a toilet overflow. Unless the Grand has completely remodeled, don't bother. JM Savannah GA

Wonderful Trip

We visited the Grand Hotel at Point Clear Alabama over the Memorial Day Weekend and were very satisfied with our accommodations. The rooms were immaculately clean, and complete with lovely furnishings. We enjoyed the Pool and the surrounding grounds are beautiful. The Hotel is still under renovations from the Hurricane Katrina damage they received, but you hardly notice the construction. All the staff was very helpful and friendly. The only thing we were disappointed in was our room did not face the bay. However, there are plenty of places to enjoy the beautiful afternoon sunsets. We thought the meals to be overpriced, so we chose to eat in town at Fairhope and Foley. If you would like a wonderful meal nearby, let me suggest "Down By The Bay Cafe"
located on the beach at the pier in Fairhope, just 3 miles from the Grand. This is across from Fairhope's City Rose Garden, which is always Beautiful. We've eaten there several times and have always been satisfied with our meal. On Friday night, we had all you can eat Shrimp for $10.50. These were Large, Deveined and Butterflied, Hand-Battered and were Delicious! They serve lunch each day for $6.95 (meat and 3 Veggies).
Fairhope is a lovely city and travelers new to this area would enjoy its many charms.
We've been many times and would love to go back! We also visited Gulf Shores and Orange Beach which is about an hours drive away. They have recovered nicely since Hurricane Ivan. The Beaches have been restored and are lovely, however, we found this area very crowded. Traffic getting into town was horrible. We ate at Lambert's which is always good food and a fun adventure and enjoyed shopping at the Outlets in nearby Foley. We wanted to eat at the Original Oyster House, which is our favorite, but the wait was over an hour to get a table. Overall, we had a very enjoyable trip.

the best Hotel ever!

My husband and i stayed at the hotel for 5 nights, 6 days. My expectations were very high and i was worried that i would be let down because of storm damage but all of my expecations were fullfilled! We had a bay front room that was amazing. The bed was to die for. Great sheets, down pillows and comforter. The I thik my favorite part of the room was the bed! The hotel itself was great as well. The staff was exceptional. Great southern hospitality. about 50% of the hotel was still closed due to hurricane damage but that didn't affect our stay at all. Everything we needed was available (spa, pool, hot tub, room service) i would recommend this hotel to anyone! def. the best i have ever stayed at. absolutley no complains,except................i wish we could have stayed longer.

you might be a redneck if you think this is "grand"

Before you book your stay at this place, ask yourself how much you know about the Alabama gulf coast. If you've never been, let me tell you there's a reason that this area and nearby Florida panhandle are known as the Redneck Riviera. This is not the destination for people looking for sophistication, unless perhaps you are lucky enough to own or have friends who own one of the nice private waterfront estates.

My wife and I were looking for a nice place to spend a couple of days on the water within a half-day's drive from Atlanta. We had done the Georgia Coast, so wanted to do something different. We'd never been to Alabama coast before, so thought it might be nice. If I had the weekend to do over again, I'd book a couple nights at the Jekyll Island Club in Georgia.

Fair Hope and Point Clear, Alabama are pleasant small towns, but nothing that special. If you are an old lady in search of bejewelled scarves, this might just be your heaven. but that's not me.

When we were driving toward the hotel, I said aloud "boy, I hope that's not it." Alas, it was. This is June 2006, and the "historic" part of the hotel is fenced off and under total renovation. Unfortunately, this means that the nicer parts of the hotel shown in the online photos are not available to guests until who knows when.

The room itself was adequate and clean, but nothing at all luxurious. I was able to dig up a coupon code online for $99 a night (local promotion rate) for a resort view room. I'm sure the view of the bay from the other side of our building was nicer, but not $200 nicer. $99 was just about right for what we got, so that should speak to the "luxuriousness" of the property. It's standard Marriott fare, and pretty much what you could expect from any hotel anywhere. The room service food was average at best, and both times we ordered they made errors in what they brought or forgot to bring. When I called to complain, I didn't appreciate the rude response. The water pressure was quite poor, which made it difficult to take a quick shower. The most bothersome thing was the pounding of children's feet on the floor above as they ran back and forth.

The hotel reminded me somewhat of the Disney Animal Kingdom hotel - somewhat kitschy. Each balcony has a fake ceramic barrell, that many patrons used to set their ashtrays on. Classy.

The best part of the hotel is the pool area. There is a separate pool for adults, and it wasn't very busy at night. Only 5 feet deep though.

The hotel's beach was not very impressive. If you want decent beach, you're going to have to drive 30-60 minutes south to Gulf Shores or a little past into Florida. The Marriott's beach was littered with trash and rental boats / kayaks. Maybe nice to sit there and look at the bay, but not the place where you would want to wade in.

The most fun my wife and I had on the trip was the day spent on the beach near the Alabama/Florida line. I suppose the Marriott was a bit nicer than some of the Cheesy Gulf Shores offerings, but it surely wasn't the place we were expecting from the advertising hype.

If you are in Atlanta looking for a coastal getway, try the Jekyll Island Club. If you go during a time when it's not very busy, you'll feel like you have the place to yourself, and it can be quite romantic. If I had paid full price at the Grand Marriott, I'd be kicking myself. We were looking for a quiet getaway, and this was just not it.

One of the Best!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member jteeple09

In the Summer of 2005, we stayed at The Hotel Marriott in Gulf Shores, Alabama. It is hands-down one of the best hotels you will EVER stay in. The hotel looks rather new, the service is superb, and there's a well-sized heated pool for your conveinence. There's a fair-sized hot tub which can hold a fair amount of guests and nearby is a fitness room with some great equipment. It's within reasonable driving distance of your favorite shops and restaurants. It is within 5 miles of the beaches. While I was staying there, a new movie theater was being constructed right next door. I'm guessing that construction is complete now and the theater is open for business. I would DEFINITELY stay again.

One negative side: During my first two nights the fire alarm sounded on both. On the first night, a small child accidentally pulled it and on the second night it was malfunctioning. The hotel manager told us that if the power were to go out, it would sound as well (which I thought would be annoying if it were to happen)

GREAT HOTEL!!!

Great for a quick getaway!

by TripAdvisor Member mocolindo

The Marriott Grand Resort in Point Clear, AL was great. I’d consider going back there again (assuming the Grand in Gulport w/ its Lazy River isn’t back yet).

The U.S.S. Alabama is nearby, so it broke up the 2 hr-51 min. trip from New Orleans there a little bit. There are 3 possible tours on the ship. We took the one that brought us to the highest point, so our 6-year-old enjoyed that.

The check-in folks are really sweet. The room was nice. Bathroom was huge. Bed was very plush with down comforter and duvet as well as lots of pillows. We opted for the King bed (since our oldest's M.O. is to crawl in bed with us sometime overnight anyway) & they had a pack-n-play for our baby. The room had a super-mini-fridge. I think maybe 6 drinks would fit in it at a time. BUT, I would defnitely use it for more than just the baby's bottles the next time we go—more on that later.

The property is attached to a small strip of beach. Like, maybe 3 blocks long. We spent maybe all of 30 minutes at the beach. BOTH our boys couldn’t stand to have sand touching their feet. The beach is the same brown-water-beach as Mississippi, so it’s not the beautiful clear-blue water that would probably be more appealing. Now, the pool, on the other hand, was GREAT. Most of the pool isn’t any deeper than 3 feet, so our older son could wander off by himself a lot & still touch the bottom of the pool. He stayed at the pool from 9am to 5pm He LOVED it. The pool has a small twisted water slide, too. There’s also a sandy-playground with swings & wooden bridges and whatnot, but, again, since my boys have the sand phobia, ‘nuf said.

Now, the one drawback is the limited food choices available. There’s no fast food anywhere closer than 25 minutes or so. No chains. Nothing. So, you’re kind of stuck unless you want to do the pool, get dressed, drive-a-ways, come back & change back into pool attire, and so on and so forth. I, personally, was tired enough without dealing with getting the boys packed and together and out the door more than once in a day. The food itself at the resort is OK. Nothing to hoot and holler about, and overpriced for sure. $5 for PB & J & chips. $5 for a blue slushie. Next time, that mini fridge is going to be packed to the gills with drinks & a bag of snacks will be smuggled in, trust me. There is a pretty good breakfast buffet—like in a Shoney’s kind of way, not Brennans.

Other possible pluses: There’s live entertainment by the pool each night. When we were there, it was a guy with a guitar & drum machine. He was allright. There’s also an attached golf course & tennis courts. We were told that they rent bikes, we never looked into that. There’s a full-service spa available, which was priced pretty comparably to the Bellisimo or the Beau Rivage. There’s an “upscale” restaurant on the premises (as in, no denim allowed, but everything else is ok to wear). We didn’t check into that. All the housekeeping, front desk, and restaurant staff we came in contact with were super-polite and nice. It’s been a while since we went somewhere that we didn’t have any complaints about the employees themselves. Oh, and I think the only other possible-plus that there is room service offered.

All in all, it was a good place for a quick getaway. We did end up coming home on Saturday b/c I couldn’t take another 12-hour day at the pool, and our 6-year-old couldn’t stand to be away from the pool as long as we were on the premises, so that was a battle I didn’t feel like fighting. As long as the Gulfport Grand is still out of commission, I’d definitely consider the extra drive to this place as a possible alternative.

I hope this helps your planning!

Great!

by TripAdvisor Member alee980

Loved it. As you can tell it is an older resort but that is what makes it so great. The only problem I had was an annoying housekeeper but other than that the stay was great. Every worker takes great pride in offering service. Absolutely beautiful room, garden, pool, beach, marina, etc... Can't wait for the renovations to be done -- I'm going back.

Comments