A Quiet Place Bed & Breakfast

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Anchorage

Once in a Blue Moose Store, AnchorageOnce in a Blue Moose Store, Anchorage

I am scared of helicopters, AlaskaI am scared of helicopters, Alaska

BorrachaBorracha

MooseMoose

Anchorage for two week

Hi there,

My girlfriend and I are heading to Anchorage for a couple of weeks in the middle of July. We have planned a few excursions around the area, in fact I think we'll be taking most modes aof transport whilst we're there..train, plane, coach, boat etc.

My question is about Anchorage itself. Is it a walkable place or will we need to hire a car or plan to the public transport carefully if we are to see all the delights of the town.

Thanks for looking

Vic

by midnight_mike

You'll be making a big mistake if you plan to spend your entire trip in Anchorage. Anchorage is just a service city. It services the industries... it has about 15 minutes of charm, not two weeks worth. If you are looking for a base city, go to either Valdez or Seward. You can take a train to Seward.

by karenincalifornia

We stayed in Anchorage last summer twice - as stopping points on the way to other locations. Like you, we used bus, train, boat to get around Alaska. We did not have a rental car in Anchorage and managed just fine. The downtown area is very walkable. It is also possible to rent bicycles and get a little further out. That's what I would do if I were there for 2 days. Forget the car, but rent a bike.

Karen

by RickinDutch

From all the modes of transport, it sounds like you're using Anchorage as your hub and taking trips all over by train, etc. Whether you should get a car or not probably depends most on where you're staying and what you want to do. If downtown, then walking to stores and restaurants is an option. If you are in midtown or by the airport then a car would be a good idea.

by vichatherly

Thanks for all you replies. Maybe hiring some bikes would be a good idea, just to stretch our legs a bit.

by karenincalifornia

If you are definitely going to rent a bike, you should do what we did not have time to do. Go bicycling along the Coastal Trail. If we had one more day there (or 2 days together), that is what we would have done. Anchorage is a great place for bicycles. Here's a link to an article. There are also a number of bike rental places in downtown Anchorage.

Karen

by vichatherly

Thanks Karen. The bike trail looks like a good idea. Especially the part about seeing some moose on the trail.

by vichatherly

We did the Coastal trail and it was excellent...we even bumped into some moose on the way.

by karenincalifornia

Glad to hear the bike ride was worth it, also glad to hear you survived the close encounters with the moose kind! Now I really do with we had done it. Maybe next time....

by jenet

I only heard and read about it, but please i will want you to write me on my private email address, i want to discuss something of interest to you.
jenetcamara@yahoo.com
waiting

Jenet

Travel Tips for Anchorage

Anchorage in blossom

by Lilasel

Anchorage has been decorated by flowers in parks, around public buildings and roadways for more than 30 years.
Anchorage is called as "Hanging Basket Capital of the World" ( Why? You can see it at my picture ). One of the reasons is the 320 baskets with flowers hanging the sidewalks between 2nd and 6th avenues. (Downtown) The blue and gold flowers are the colors of the State of Alaska.

Elderberry Park

by Stephen-KarenConn

I discovered this small park on the edge of downtown Anchorage when I was looking for a free parking spot to take a walking tour of Anchorage. Not only did I find free parking here, but the park also offers a picnic area, playground equipment, and benches with a view of Cook Inlet.

On a return trip to Anchorage I used Elderberry Park as the beginning point for a hike on the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail. The paved hike/bike trail tunnels under the Alaska Railroad tracks from the bottom of the park and hugs the coast for 11 very scenic miles.

Next to Elderberry Park is the historic yellow-and-brown Oscar Anderson House, which is open for tours.

Location:
Elderberry Park is at the western end of 5th Avenue, overlooking Cook Inlet.

Keep Alaska Clean

by kaloz

We live in a beautiful place, and don't want it mussed up by thoughtless people who litter, so please find an trash recepticle for any unwanted items.

This dumpster is located at the House of Harley, and is the prettiest darn dumpster I have ever seen!

Skiing - Powerline Trail

by onebadcat

Powerline Trail is an access corridor for many different hikes/ski routes but also makes a great ski from end to end. The trail itself stretches 12 miles from Prospect Heights all the way to Indian a community on the Seward Highway. In the winter you shouldn't attempt to cross the pass because of probable avalanche danger. This gives you about 8 miles of trail to safely ski or you can explore the mile wide valley off trail.

The reason this trail is called Powerline is obvious as you follow the power poles up into the valley. This is a very gradual climb in a wide open valley and is suitable for all experience levels. Some years the main trail is groomed others it isn't. Most days you will see at least one moose in the valley. A great spot to watch the late season rut!

About 15 minutes from downtown. Make sure you have some extra clothes and water. This area gets a lot of wind so have a windbreaker to throw on if it picks up. Great for classic, backcountry or skating X-C gear. If you need to rent gear in Anchorage try REI or to buy a cheap used setup try Play It Again Sports.

Tire studs or 4WD may be necessary. $5 day use fee or $40 annual state park sticker available at REI and other contractors.

Pilot to co-pilot.

by Grazina

There are things to do "galore" when you get to this paradise of a country. Rivers flow with salmon up to the gills, glacier climbing near Whitter on south end of Anchorage, canoeing on just one of their many many lakes. I was there in July and it was still chill in the air, to cold to play in the water, but if we had the chance this is how we would look.

Comments