4555 Union Square Drive, Anchorage, Alaska, 99503, United States

Orbitz.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

More about Anchorage

View once you have hiked above the tree lineView once you have hiked above the tree line

BOMB at AK Aviation Heritage Museum, AnchorageBOMB at AK Aviation Heritage Museum, Anchorage

Boeing 747 Freighter TaxingBoeing 747 Freighter Taxing

Chugach State ParkChugach State Park

moving to alaska

by aztoak

I'm moving to anchorage for work the end of october. I was told that I should take the ferry from Bellingham to Haines and then drive to anchorage. I was going to take the cross gulf ferry to whittier and drive to Anchorage. What is the road like at that time of year? What can I expect the cross gulf ferry to be like then? Is the road from whittier to Anchorage ever closed due to snow? Should I be worried about driving either one? It has been over twenty years since I've driven in snow so a little nervous. Any info you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks

by RickinDutch

October is usually just fine and no snow, at least as far south as Anchorage. The road from Whittier to Anchorage is one way between Bear valley and Whittier and has a tunnel that is closed when trains come thru. Check the schedule at the website below. Chances are you won't be delayed more than 20 minutes.
Welcome to Alaska!

by alapah

The cross gulf ferry only runs once a month. It looks like the northbound route departs Ketchikan on the 25th and Juneau on the 26th and arrives Whittier on the 28th. I've never done the cross gulf so can't give advice on that one. The drive should not be too bad in October, I'd think.

by alapah

here's the link to the Yukon Highway site where you can read up on current conditions: http://www.511yukon.ca/

and this is the link to the Alaska DOT page: http://511.alaska.gov/alaska511/mappingcomponent/

it snowed in the Chugach Mts by Anchorage and in some parts of town yesterday. not much sticking except at higher elevations. just be sure to give yourself time driving between Haines and Anch if you end up taking that route. roads may be icy in spots. depending on your car's range, you may want to take along a 5gal gas can since some services close in the off season. is your car winterized? (oil and antifreeze for colder temps, an engine block heater and battery blanket?) those would be more important if you go the Yukon route rather than the cross gulf ferry.

Travel Tips for Anchorage

Many Moose Milling About

by PA2AKgirl

If you talk to people from here, they seem so blasé about moose. Not me. I haven’t lived here a long time, but there’s no way I’ll ever get tired of them. They are so large and fun to watch that spotting one (which is not really spotting since they walk through parking lots and your yard or stand in intersections) it always exciting for me. I can watch most animals for hours but who knows when we’ll get to opportunity to watch moose after we leave here. They do cause accidents of course (just as deer do but with greater damage) but if you’re aware that they are going to be around and are constantly looking for them, you should be okay. Strangely enough, we see many more moose in the city than we do in parks.

Mountains, mountains

by Sharrie

Frankly, I'm not exactly sure what these mountains are called.
But anyhow, I've this weakness for mountains.

It's a place where everytime I'm on them or above them, I feel I'm very tiny & yet in a world of possibilities.
It's hard to explain... it's just a feeling.
Feelings may not be rational, but they are something which we as humans inherited as our birthright.
For me, mountains move literally...

Statehood Monument

by kaloz

This is more likely an "off the beaten path" tip, but statehood is an important milestone in the history of Alaska. I work for the post office, and it is amazing how many parcels come from the lower 48 with customs declarations. Alaska is a state!! I always get a big laugh about this.

Downtown Bicycle Rental

by hersheybar

I rented a bike and got directions for some of the local trails available in and around the city. I had my own clothing to wear and the rest came from the shop. They have many bikes for all kinds of riding and all kinds of riders. It was mild for an October day so my timing was perfect.
My destination ended up being Kinkade Park for a total of about 22 miles roundtrip.
The trail is for bikers or hikers and follows the coast line with numerous stops to view the sites.
They say there are moose along the trail however I only saw droppings!

Tony Knowles Coastal Trail

by Tableaux1

If you're visiting in the summer please be sure to check out the coastal trail. You can walk the trail all they way from downtown to Kincaid park or vice versa. You'll have awesome views of Cook Inlet & Mt. Susitna.

Comments