Hotel Captain Cook

Tags

Eco-Tourism Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Trains
See Amenities
FatesWarn's Profile Photo

Most Comfortable Bed in Alaska!

by written on July 4, 2014

I have stayed at the Hotel Captain Cook on three separate occasions on my recent trip to Alaska. We were basically using Anchorage as a stopover between destinations on this trip and I am SO happy that I chose the Hotel Captain Cook.

We arrived bleary-eyed and utterly exhausted at 3:05am (see my notes about avoiding United); we had no trouble finding a desk clerk to check us in and my reservation was held for me (I called ahead to let them know). My only gripe about this late-night arrival is that their doors do not open automatically (they have doormen most of the day) - they are ridiculously heavy and there are two sets of them (main door and then the arctic entry/vestibule). When hauling two roller boards, this was a real pain in the butt. Even when the doorman was on staff, we checked out at a really busy time on a Friday morning and had to struggle with our bags because he was nowhere to be found.

Doors aside, this is a fantastic hotel. The beds are SO comfortable (and not just because I was exhausted), they have both foam and dense feather pillows on the bed. The shower curtains could use an extender rod, so the shower felt cramped, but the curtains did not attack. The blackout curtains did a good job - I was there the week of the solstice, so I never really saw dark, but I had no trouble sleeping without the eye mask that I had to use at the B&B's.

The Cubby was a great place to get breakfast. I am a foodie, so I would typically venture out to get breakfast (my favorite travel meal), but our rate included $20 towards breakfast, so we just stuck with the hotel.

We had an early trip on the train after one stay and we were able to leave our rental car in the parking garage and keep the parking charges on our room and they also checked two of our bags that we didn't want to schlep to the train. The concierge advised that a cab was the best way to get to the train (rather than drive our rental car) - it was only a $5 cab ride. When we checked back in two days later, they delivered our checked bags to our room. These full-service amenities made things a whole lot easier for us.

Unique Quality: On one of my stays, we were in a Corner Suite - if the price difference isn't too steep, I recommend it - there are two full bathrooms, which made an early morning departure much easier on us. The Corner Suite also has a full couch in a separate room from the bedroom.

Directions: For Self-Parking, drive past 5th & K and be prepared to make a right immediately after for the entrance to the garage.

Highlander66's Profile Photo

Vantage Point

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 20, 2011

Excellent amenities, with an excellent outlook.

Unique Quality: The higher the room the better the view, always ask for as high a room as possible, we did and were offered a room on the "Crows Nest" at no extra cost, fantastic view east over downtown Anchorage

Directions: Downtown

cfuentesm's Profile Photo

Hotel Captain Cook Anchorage

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 29, 2006

Not the most modern hotel in town, but if you like old fashioned, semi elegant accomodations, and typical decoration, this is the one.

Oatlad's Profile Photo

Best Hotel in Alaska

by written on March 3, 2006

Found out about the Captain Cook when living in the "Bush". Its right downtown, within walking distance of lots of things to do. The Captain Cook has one of the best restaurants in town as well as wonderful fitness accomodations including: a pool, hot tubs, nautilus, free weights, dry sauna, steam room, tanning, and more. The rooms are very nice, many having wonderful views of Cook Inlet, and downtown Anchorage. The rooms have computer access, turndown service, excellent room service, and big comfortable beds. When you compare how much you have to pay to stay at other hotels then add the extra expense and discomfort of driving, and parking when you go downtown it makes sense to stay at the Captain Cook when you go to Anchorage.

Directions: Right in the middle of downtown Anchorage.

RickinDutch's Profile Photo

The Best Hotel in Anchorage

by written on July 7, 2005

Without a doubt - The Cook is the finest hotel in Anchorage. 500+ rooms in three towers with all the ammenities. The higher a floor you can get the better the view and the less street noise.
The common areas are decorated in muted elegance with dark hardwoods and Captain Cook memorabilia.
With 4 restaurants and two bars, you never have to leave the hotel. My favorite spot is Fletchers. Not quite the same since long time bartender and Iditarod musher Bob Ernisse passed away, but still a warm friendly place with great food and a vast liquor and beer selection. Chris is working most nights - be sure to chat him up about fishing on the Kenai River.

The only problem I see is that they know they are the best and the prices they charge in the summer are as stunning as the Hotel. You go from around $105/night in the winter to over $250 during tourist season. To be fair, all the hotels in Anchorage have these seasonallly adjusted rates. And yet the summer is when they are overrun with cruise ship passengers, who all get up at 5 AM excited to start their day. (I know you're happy to be starting your cruise Edith, but do you have to yell down the hall to Margaret at 5 in the morning!!!!)

Other issue in the summer is the lack of air conditioning. With global warming summers are actually getting hot some days in Anchorage. All rooms have fans so usually and open window and the fan will take care of the heat. UPDATE: Air Conditioning is now installed and working.

During a recent stay (Jan 09) found they had remodeled all the rooms in Tower Two. Flat screen TVs and tastefullly decorated. Good job Wally!

Stayed again 12/09 and still the best hotel in Anchorage. And again in Mar and Sep 2010. And again in Mar, April, May and June of 2012.

Unique Quality: Great everything - pool, gym, restaurants, bars, rooms.
Gym is large with many treadmills, elipitcal machines, bikes, free weights, nautilus, tanning beds, massages, whirl pool, sauna, and pool. Except for the pool, men have seperate facilities from women which I like. Don't have to keep the belly sucked in all the time. The steam room is huge and hot - don't find many like this any more.

At the top of tower 3 is the Crow's Nest. A wonderful restaurant/bar with fantastic views. The new chef there is doing wonders with the food. Be prepared to shell out top dollar but you get what you pay for. AAA 4 diamond top end fine dining.

Business Center has 5 private cubicles with FREE internet access and full color printer/copier. Also free with a room key.

toontown's Profile Photo

Not a log cabin

by written on January 5, 2004

My boss and I were driving were taking a cab from the airport to the hotel where the conference was booked. Neither of us had heard of the Hotel Captain Cook before (that was before I became a VT member!) but it sounded a little rustic. Adventurous log cabins came to mind. We asked the cab driver what the hotel was like and he assured us that it was "a nice little hotel." Well, that was an understatement. We arrived at the 547 room, two-tower, AAA four-star hotel and were ushered to our luxuriously appointed rooms by the uniformed bellmen. As I found out the next morning, my room was on a corner and had an amazing view of the Cook Inlet on one side and an equally amazing view of the mountain range on the other.

Unique Quality: The Crow's Nest Restaurant was excellent, as I describe more fully in a restaurant tip.

The guest rooms were terrific, with big comfy robes, hairdryers, heavy teak furniture and big windows to enjoy the views.

The conference rooms were also very comfortable.

There was a pool, jacuzzi and exercise facility in the basement of the hotel too.

kaloz's Profile Photo

February 2003 -- Best of the Modern Hotels

by written on February 27, 2003

The Captain Cook has three towers, and can offer great views, or views of the other towers. It is best to upgrade to a suite, or better still to get one on the secured 17th floor. $15.25 for a taxi from the airport, you will be greeted by a doorman and your luggage will be handled for you. When you check in, the turn down service includes ice in your bucket and bottled water. The room offers great fluffy towels, french milled soap, and big soft robes. If travelling with a family or group, two suites can be booked with one entry.

Unique Quality: This picture is from February 2003, and features my foot (haha) Darn those self-timers, can't see what you are shooting.

Directions: Downtown

Captain Cooke Hotel

by written on August 24, 2002

Unique Quality: A view that can't be beat. The food is excellent, the service is what you pray for when you arrive in a new city, the accomodations are above average and the beds are firm, but not so that you wake up with a backache. The Anchorage Westward and the Sheffield were very good; but my choice is the Captain Cooke.

Captain Cook Hotel- a great...

by written on August 24, 2002

Captain Cook Hotel- a great hotel with all ammenities and good food
not sure - had a gratis stay but probably $125 per night in winter

Unique Quality: All ammenities- great view from Lounge especially- two towers-oldest hotel in ANchorage- reminiscent of an old sailing ship- lots of wood and beams

Nearby Hotel Captain Cook

• Free High Speed Internet
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Anchorage Travel Forum

Need advice about Anchorage, Alaska? Visit the Travel Forum for Anchorage and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Anchorage hotel reviews