North Country Castle Bed and Breakfast

14600 Joanne Court, PO Box 111876, Anchorage, Alaska, 99511, United States

More about Anchorage

Chocolate Factory in Anchorage, AlaskaChocolate Factory in Anchorage, Alaska

Snow at the lookoutSnow at the lookout

Alaska ZooAlaska Zoo

The Anchorage MuseumThe Anchorage Museum

Living In Anchorage

by steve1124

What's Life like living in Anchorage?

by Explorenorth

Since no Anchorage residents have answered, I'll say as a very frequent visitor for the past 20 years that it's like life in any other city (heavy traffic, high crime) except that you're really close to Alaska.

RE: RE: Living In Anchorage

by zjave

It's not a very pretty city, it's like a giant suburb, but it's got great scenery around it, I'll tell you that much. As far as temperature goes- Minnesota's a lot colder, especially nowadays. I know that global warming is controversial to some people, but even comparing ten years ago, when I was a little kid, it's a lot warmer now. The difference is that the Alaskan winter is from November-March, and the sun sets at 3:30 pm in December.

The best part about Anchorage is the summer. It's about 70-75, nice but not too hot, and the sun doesn't set until 11, or 2 in late June. Anchorage has a lot of the things in Alaska close to it, but we also have 5 or 6 movie theatres, art shows, etc. So it's an interesting place to live.

by onebadcat

Wow!! OK, maybe this does require a response!

High crime? compared to what Bent Armpit, Wyoming? Heavy traffic? When? Friday afternoon in July (which is mostly out of state RVers going 45 in the left lane mixed with every person in Anchorage heading out of town)?

Anchorage is not neccessarily for the metro-sexual clubbing urbanite. The city has all of the cultural attractions and nightlife but definitely not the selection of a big lower 48 city. It is a great place to live year-round and I actually struggle to say whether I prefer summer or winter. If you are considering moving to Anchorage consider carefully. It definitely isn´t for everyone. We definitely don´t need any more whiners chasing summer dreams. I absolutely love living here.

If you are interested in what we do up here check out my VT pages. If you are serious I would be more than happy to answer any direct questions about what the area is like.

Take care.

by claroline22

I personally have been living here a month and love it! I came from Dallas, so I feel the same way, the traffic is nothing, even when it is bad. And there is basically no good shopping up here. You really have to come to love the area and not material things. I'm not really outdoorsy, but I enjoy putting on layers to go outside.

RE: RE: Living In Anchorage

by Scandic

I absolutely loved living in Anchorage. I still think it is the best place where I have lived in my entire life so far. I came from Finland so the weather wasn't an issue during the Winter, as it is similar to Finland. The Summer was awesome (as it is also in Finland). I first lived in Fairbanks for some 9 months and then moved to Anchorage. Anchorage is so scenic, so pretty. Big enought to offer entertainment comapred to other Alaskan cities and so close to wildlife. People are really nice and rents ok. Well a car is almost a must, even thought I suffered there with my bike;-) But a car is good. Anchorage is perfect if you liek outdooring, but crave some socializing once in a while.

Re: Living In Anchorage

by jhfahl

When are you moving back to brighten our day!!

Travel Tips for Anchorage

You absolutely must go biking...

by Que

You absolutely must go biking or blading down the coastal trail. It's good for really getting to know the city's in's and out's, and you can get some great picture ops. It's very possible to have an encounter with a moose. (Just keep your distance and they'll ignore you) The fondest memory I have of Anchorage is driving arounf the city when everyone has thier Christmas decorations up. Even if they don't go all out, most everyone has a string or two of white lights. This is nice because we don't have much daylight in the winter, and it really helps to make everyone feel more cheerfull.

View of Mt. Susitana and Beluga Whales

by Stephen-KarenConn

This view of Mt. Susitana across the Cook Inlet, is taken from Resolution Park in Anchorage. According to an ancient native legend Mt. Susitana is a giant sleeping lady. When friends came to tell her that her lover had been killed in battle, they could not bear to wake her. Instead they asked the gods to protect her until peace returned forever to the land. The gods complied and now she sleeps under a blanket of grasses in summer and soft snow in winter.

In summer pods of 15 or more Beluga Whales may sometimes be seen from this point. In the distance they appear as small white specks, as they search for spawning Salmon making their way up the Cook Inlet.

On a clear day you can see Mount McKinley from this point, 120 miles to the north.

Winter Packing List

by spintobecca

Feel free to bring nice luggage or sturdy luggage. It will be handled with care. There is enough a a city in wish you can bring high heels. Dress smartly and you will attract positive attention. Anchoragites aren't sloppy dressers.. they just dress for the weather.

Winter List:
1.Night out shoes
2.Hiking Shoes (Think dry weather)
3. Night out evening wear
4. Jeans/Khakis
5. Sweaters!!
6. Fluffy Socks
7. Smart Wool (or other warm) Jacket
8. Hat/Gloves

Jeeping (4X4) in the Chugach Range

by mcpangie

Going 4X4 is popular amongst the locals. There are a variety of roads that can't be accessed without four-wheel drive. Not such an easy activity to participate in for tourists unless you bring your vehicle with you via the Alaska Highway because most car rental companies make you promise not to take their vehicles onto roads like this.

watch wildlife

by extremist

Again, here is Flattop hiking area, there was a squirrel running around scuriging for food, he was as amused to see me as I was to watch him. This is June 23, 2 days after summersolstice, hikers alike converge upon flattop and tent it over night to watch the longest day of the year, now we start to slowly lose seconds and minutes to the dark, it is now about 19 1/2 hours of daylight, but December 21 is winter solstice which is about 4 hrs of daylight, one extreme to the other, gee whiz, no wonder us alaskans to stuff in the summer time while we can!!

Comments