Red Roof Anchorage

AMOMA.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 22% lower than similarly priced 2 star hotels

More about Anchorage

JumpingJagdish+lady, VTer jethanand, Alaska cruiseJumpingJagdish+lady, VTer jethanand, Alaska cruise

Earthquake Park in Alaska - about 1964 guakeEarthquake Park in Alaska - about 1964 guake

The view is the only good thing here.The view is the only good thing here.

Alaska Native Heritage CenterAlaska Native Heritage Center

Anchorage for one day

by butterfly_girl

If I have one day in Anchorage, what are my top things to see and do? Any restaurant suggestions? I can't wait to go....thank you!

by TheTravelSlut

Hi. Last year I was dropped off at the airport by my cruiseline bus and after checking my luggage, I took a complimentary shuttle bus to the Alaskan Gold Mine Company and Wild Berry Restaurants and Gift Shops about 10-15 minutes away.

Lunch was great as was the last minute shopping plus they had the worlds largest chocolate fountain if I recall. I wrote it up on my Alaska travelogue.

I ate downtown and some of the small diners but there was nothing remarkable plus I did the dinner show of the Alaskan Heritage but the food was adequate.

TTS

by butterfly_girl

Thank you for the information!!! I appreciate it.

by onebadcat

I saw you r other post about hiking. If you like outdoors stuff why not get out on the trail system? I have a bunch of hikes outlined on my VT site - check em out and let me know if have any questions. Also, Downtown to Earthquake Park and Kinaid along the Coastal Trail is a good option for a walk or renting a bike if you are staying downtown.

Scott

by diveinak

just saw your post....have you visited already?...if not, let me know...i have tons of wonderful suggestions...even for a day,
stacey

by butterfly_girl

I just returned from my trip to Alaska and it was wonderful! Thanks. Pictures coming soon :)

by uaamom

Walk around downtown and go to the Tourist Information Bureau which has "stations" with maps & videos on each specific region of Alaska plus a nice selection of native arts and crafts. Spend some time in the Anchorage Museum. Go up to the Crow's Nest restaurant on top of the Captain Cook Hotel simply for the great views. The food is very good but also very pricey. I'd choose Humpy's or the Snow Goose to eat at.

Travel Tips for Anchorage

Beartooth Theatre Pub & Grill

by extremist

Oh my gosh, how could I not mention The Beartooth Theatre!! This is one of my favorite places to go!!! It's a Theatre that shows films that have been out for 4 months, it costs $3 and the theatre is a row of seats and a row of tables, so as to sit and enjoy your meal, which is fantastic pizza or nachos, they deliver right to your table while your watching a movie, they also serve win and beer and soda by the pitcher.

A glimpse

by Sharrie

I remembered while on the flight, as we were approaching Anchorage, people next to me & around me were exclaiming to one another "it looks cold!"

I thought to myself, it looks beautiful!
All those snow, mountains, different shades of light on the clouds, the sea...
... they all look so very beautiful to me!

Granted, I won't be here for long, perhaps that allowed me to see the better side of it all.
If I've to live with the cold... freezing... -40 degrees, then it might feel differently again.

Yet, we usually take for granted what we have.
It's human nature to do so, unfortunately.
Our beautiful homes, countries, fellow-citizens...
Our friends & family who love us dearly...
Our own beauty...
We tend to only focus on what's not appealing to the eyes rather than how lucky we are to have them in our lives.
No, I'm not speaking for everyone or anyone.
Just an observation.
Just an exclamation that I sometimes do that to people around me as well.

I believe a place, like any human, wants to be appreciated for how beautiful it is from the external as well as the internal.
We all want to be seen!
Our job is to try to see it as it is & yet find beauty in it!
Agree?

Ship Creek combat fishing

by mht_in_la

Ship Creek is a small creek running through the center of Anchorage, parallel to the railroad. Only half a mile east of Anchorage Train Station on Whitney Rd, you'll find a salmon viewing platform. Combat fishing is popular in the summer when salmon swim up the creek from Cook Inlet.

Combat fishing in Ship Creek can be quite a sight if you have never seen it before. Fishermen stand shoulder to shoulder along the bank or in the water. They cast their lines so fast it's like fly fishing.

ice climbing in alaska the ultimate experience!

by ruzena

Ice climbing is great it has everything a adventurer and sport enthusiast would want- bloodcurdling action! Its kinda like going on a rollercoaster for the first time, a little scary but well worth it! If you go to the Matanuska Ice Climbing Adventures bring hiking shoes, (warm!!!!!!) your hands get cold easy-gloves, fleece coat, lunch, and rain clothing (just in case) i didn't use it while there but they suggest it, if you go ice climbing by yourself then you have to buy alot of equipment which would bring the price range up to 2 grand, so for a one time trip 120 bucks is worth it! and if u don't want to do that they have hiking!

Portage Glacier

by Stephen-KarenConn

Portage Glacier is called "Alaska's most popular attraction," and it is definitely worth seeing. There are more spectacular sights in Alaska, but none more convenient for the visitor to Anchorage. Gray Line of Alaska offers tours leaving from downtown Anchorage, or you can visit the glacier on your own by driving 50 miles south on the Seward Highway.

Your first stop at Portage Glacier should be the Begich, Boggs Visitor Center where you will see several informative exhibits. An excellent film, "Voices from the Ice," is shown at the Visitor Center on the hour and is highly recommended. After viewing the film you may want to take a walk around the lake which has been formed by the glacier and look for icebrergs.

The glacier itself is retreating and can no longer be seen from the Visitor Center. However, the face of the glacier still reaches down more than 100 feet into the lake. Hiking trails take you to Portage Glacier and also to other nearby glaciers including Byron, where you can actually climb on the ice. Boat tours are also available and are very popular.

Directions:
The turnoff for Portage Valley Road and Beich, Boggs Visitor is 50 miles south of Anchorage and 77 miles north of Seward on the New Seward Highway, #1.

Comments