401 East 6th Avenue, Anchorage, Alaska, 99501, United States

Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 34% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• bpwarne's Profile Photo

.....room with a view?

We stayed at this hotel in May of 2004. We paid about $47 total through Priceline and we were quite happy with the price. While the hotel is in the downtown area, it is a bit off towards the end of it, however, there are lots of restaurants within a 5-10 minute walk, the mall is about a five minute walk and Thrifty car rental is just around the corner. They also have a free shuttle service around town which we utilized to get to the Alaska Railroad Station which is probably about a 20 minute walk.
    Room was very good, recently refurbished. Hotel overall is a little bit worn looking. Our room overlooked a cemetery which, if you've ever been to Anchorage, is a whole lot less depressing than many of the city 'views'. The bed was excellent, very comfortable(Sheraton's always are it seems), room about average in size, not very exciting but comfortable and clean, free outdoor parking (yes, can you belive it? Free, at a Sheraton!). No swimming pool, but does have an indoor jacuzzi/exercise room and also a sauna. The staff was pleasant and helpful.
    For the price, we felt it was a great deal, but as I mentioned, we got it through priceline.

We would definitely stay here again at this price.

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo

Nice Hotel - Poor Location

If this hotel were only 5 blocks further west, it would be one of the most popular hotels in Anchorage. But the neighborhood it is in is somewhat run down, right next to the graveyard, the sleazier bars and the head shops. It's a long walk through the seedy part of town to get anywhere downtown.

I've stayed here several times for various meetings and think the rooms themselves are the nicest in Anchorage. Large, nicely decorated, bright, and well equiped. They were recently (2007) remodeled and even better with 42" flat screen TV, coffee makers abd very comfortable beds.

Josephine's Restaurant on the top floor is a great place for Sunday brunch but now closed the rest of the week. The bar on the ground floor has some great overstuffed chairs and very comfortable atmosphere. The bar has sushi on some nights. The coffee shop has decent food. On my most recent stay (1/09) hours of operation were very limited and only open until 11 AM.

I would stay there again just for the nice rooms. Just wanted to give you an honest view. Plus, downtown is creeping east and gentrification is almost getting to there.

Unique Quality: The Sunday Brunch at Josephine's rivals (if not surpasses) the Captain Cook's. The atrium on the main floor goes up two stories and is perhaps the brightest lobby in Anchorage.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Sheraton Anchorage Hotel

Again, overpriced for what it is, and this hotel is not even in a nice part of downtown. The area is ok, but other hotels- the Hilton, Marriott, Captain Cook, are more centrally located. It has the typical Sheraton amenities, so at least you know what to expect here. But unless its part of a package deal, or you have a free night as part of a hotel plan, you can find a better deal elsewhere.

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Tons of Hotels

We didn't stay at the Sheraton....There are ton's of Hotels and Motels to choose from...If you know the exact dates that you will be staying in Anchorage it is best to look at one of the online discounters such as Travelocity.com . They have such big discounts compared to the Rack Rate!!! The Aspen Hotel is currently one of the best deals going and the good deal can be found on Travelocity.com...$55 per night is a great price for a hotel of that caliber. Because some of the very Cheap rundown Motels charge that much!!! On my most recent trip off Kodiak Island we didn't stay overnight in Anchorage...we stayed one night in Healey and one night in Palmer.

Directions: It's easy to find as it's right on 6th Avenue!

More about Sheraton Anchorage Hotel

Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Bed was excellent!

by TripAdvisor Member Max-Huckleberry

I stayed at the downtown Sheraton Anchorage while on a business trip. My room was on the 12th floor and looked just like the Standard Double Room picture on the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel website. At check-in, I was told I had been upgraded and I found the decor and cleanliness of the room very pleasant. I think the higher floors might have newer decor in beige like the picture I mentioned. While on the elevator, there was a stop around the 7th floor and the decor looked like out of date pink tones. I did not venture out to other floors (other than the Club Level) so this was a limited observation.

The upgrade allowed me access to a complimentary continental breakfast at a room on the Club Level. I ate dinner at Ptarmigan each night. The staff was very attentive and provided excellent service. The halibut & chips were great although I did not enjoy either of the two cream soups I ordered during my stay as they had the consistency of being run thru a blender.

There is a small parking garage attached to the hotel. The cost is $8 per night, which I felt was expensive, but worth it if you did not want to have to brush snow off your car in the morning. I did not like that there was no direct access from the garage back to the inside of the hotel. You have to walk down the garage ramp to get to the sidewalk to get back to the hotel front entrance (all on one long block). It was kind of eerie at night, but I never experienced a safety issue.

The hotel is within easy walking distance to the 5th Avenue Mall. If you prefer not to walk, the concierge/bellman will drop you off and pick you up locally in the area, if he is available.

Don't go there...

by TripAdvisor Member adanzig

Stayed at the Sheraton Anchorage on Friday the 13th of April. The individual at the front desk who checked us in was less than eager to receive us. The call I'd made to their front desk a few hours earlier (upon touching down at the airport at 10pm) should have been indicative of the service we'd receive upon arrival at the hotel. I'd called to confirm that while we'd be arriving late, we would be there eventually and wanted to ensure that they kept our reservation. The woman on the phone could not have cared less. Upon check-in, we were informed that we would be enjoying a "city view" room. As a Starwood Gold member -- and in a city where its difficult *not* to spy a mountain at every turn -- this was disappointing. I asked if the hotel offered mountain room views, was told "yes" and then promptly *not* relocated to one. Our room was fine -- it met expectations since clearly this property isn't a new one -- but it lacked shampoo in the bathroom and no newspaper was delivered in the morning. We did enjoy the complimentary breakfast buffet the next morning, but overall, our stay was so lackluster that we cancelled the remainder of our reservation and relocated to the Hotel Anchorage where I chose to forego Starwood points for a stay at a hotel with charm that was not only far more centrally located, but also staffed by folks who actually gave a hoot.

We were quite satisfied!

by TripAdvisor Member scubamom

We stayed here at the end of our Alaskan Cruise and were quite happy with the hotel (very spiffy lobby), gracious staff, and nice room! The cruiseline wanted $400 for an overnight stay at the Hilton which we felt was way too high, so booked the Sheraton at half the price.

Our room was nicely decorated, spotless, had a wonderful view of the ocean (see picture), comfortable king bed, desk, and lounge chair. Standard bathroom with everything we needed.

Since the hotel is 8 blocks from Town Square, a hotel van provides drop off and pick up service in and around the downtown area for those who might not like to walk. We seldom had to wait more than 15 minutes for this service.

All in all - we were quite happy with the Sheraton.

Decent hotel, horrible staff

by TripAdvisor Member Macanudo

I recently stayed here with my wife and daughter. We were in town due to a medical emergency and had to extend our stay. The prior hotel we were at was booked solid so I reserved at the Sheraton. When called, they only had 2 nights available (needed 4 but was willing to deal with that later.)

During the evening of the 2nd night, I noticed on-line that the 3rd & 4th nights were available. I went to the front desk to reserve. Then, late during the 3rd night, we recieved our bill only 3 nights. I went to front desk and was told that I was not booked for the 4th night and they were sold out. The staff was apathetic and unapologetic about the mishap.

This hotel will nickel and dime you to death. They charge for 0.75 for local calls, $8.00 to park in their lot (there is no alternative), $9.95 for very slow "high-speed" internet access, 15% gratuity + $2.00 delivery charge for room service. Some are in-line with what other hotels charge but it all adds up when the sticker price is already high for the room to begin with.

It is clear to me that high-end hotels in Anchorage are not concerned with customer service since they know that too many visitors to the state will never be back again. This hotel also clearly caters to those traveling with the cruise ship lines or other tour groups.

Satisfied customers

by TripAdvisor Member onetxdoc

We had 2 separate short stays within a week in July during our family's Alaskan vacation (did not book through cruisetour).
We had different sets of staff at front desk and different rooms/floor.
We received excellent service at the front desk and from the bell man as well. They were professional, courteous, and helpful.
We even used their free van shuttle to transport us at 530am to the train depot to catch the Seward bound train. Excellent service that was prompt and professional.

The rooms were nice and standard size. The only complaint was a minor one where there were noises like running water from the walls all night. Though it did not keep us awake, it was annoying. I didn't complain as we were leaving early next day.

Excellent location with about an 8 block walk to visitor center, and other restaurants/gift shops.

Although nothing spectacular, I would stay here again for pleasure or business trips.

Dumb as a box of rocks!

by TripAdvisor Member Lablover_419

Well....where do I begin????

Lets see...my family of four checked in about 8pm the end of July. Although I had called a week prior to arrival to request double beds non-smoking and was told no problem, now Im told that I couldnt have them at check in, because all they had were non smoking rooms left. Funny, because a woman next to me was given HER preference and they didnt tell her SHE couldnt have it! I raised cain about this and said that my son has asthma and we CANNOT stay in a smoking room. I immediately asked for a manager. The clerk then tells me that since I booked the hotel on Priceline, they do not have to guarantee me a preference, just a room. Ive stayed at other Sheratons via Priceline booking and NOT ONCE was I ever told I couldnt have a non smoking room. If this is the case, perhaps Sheraton ought to reconsider even having a contract with Priceline since the customer is caught between a rock and a hard place unfairly. And yes, miraculously, after I complained bitterly, a non smoking room suddenly materialized! Didnt they just say there were none left?? hmmmm.

Oh yes, folks. It gets better. After a 12 hour flight, we all went to bed at 10 pm. Lo and behold, someone knocked loudly on our door at 10:30 pm. I went to answer it, and it was someone from the front desk: "Hello ma'am? Im just checking to see if this room is occupied because our records show that it is empty".

So I say.." How can it be empty? Did you NOT see the DO NOT DISTURB sign hanging outside the door?"

His reply: "uh, well..I still have to check".

Then everytime someone used a toilet or shower, I swear it sounded like a waterfall was rushing through the walls. This place is in dire need of a makeover....especially the lobby. It's pretty worn.

Good God. I am just thankful I only stayed here one night. Another night, and I would have jumped from the roof.

Comments