751 3rd Avenue, (formerly Kuskokwim Inn), Bethel, Alaska, 99559, United States
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Bethel

Bethel Russian Orthodox ChurchBethel Russian Orthodox Church

Confluence of the Kuskokwim and Gweek RiversConfluence of the Kuskokwim and Gweek Rivers

Old Abandoned SteamshipOld Abandoned Steamship

Front Street Cafe from the RiverFront Street Cafe from the River

Travel Tips for Bethel

Corrections

by MargaretChaney

I have some corrections to make....

Bethel is 90-100 miles from the mouth of the Kuskokwim River. It is a deep sea port with 60-80 feet deep water close to Bethel.

The Sewer Lagoon is beyond Bethel Heights (ASHA Housing). MacDonald Lake was often called honeybucket lake because people used it for disposal before the city system came into being. Running water and sewage are in use in all homes now. When I used to live in Bethel and travel away; the first thing I would do when I got back to Bethel and to the airplane door was BREATHE!! It was hard for me to be away from the open air, because in a city, you couldn't SEE anything because of the tall buildings; tall trees and mountains! In Bethel I could SEE everything. I loved to see the morning sunrise and the evening sunset. It covered the whole sky; and we could see it all. The night sky was another story! The Orion; Big and Little Dipper; the Milky Way and fantastic Northern Lights. Once I saw the Aurora Borealis do loop-de-loops! And the color was all green. My friends didn't believe me til they went out and saw them too!

Historical House on Brown's Slough

by AlbuqRay

A student Science Fair paper tells us that the original site of Bethel was located around the mouth of Brown's Slough. Datu used to live in this house located between the river and the present-day bridge. He lived to be 100 years old. He must have been one of the original settlers. Maybe watching TV was the secret to his longevity (notice the modern antenna). There is now a restaurant in Bethel with his name.

Blended Diverse Cultures Are the Secret

by AlbuqRay

I think I have finally realized the secret of the places where the people are especially nice. They are all multicultural! Not just one or two cultures blended together, but three or more. Examples familiar to me are Malaysia (Malay, Chinese and East Indian), Trinidad (African, East Indian, and European), New Mexico (Hispanic, Native American and Anglo), and now Bethel (Yup'ik, Lower-48, Russian and maybe even Korean). It seems to be an effect independent of geography. Even if the geography is not spectacular, the blending of diverse cultures is. The AC Value Center had such a nice logo for Native Pride on their plastic bags that I took a pic of it. Even the Native people of Alaska are diverse. I also included here the Bethel Russian Orthodox Church. Russian influence is still significant in many places in Alaska. I have already talked about the Moravian and Catholic Churches in other places. The 2% population of Koreans is making their impact also, esp. on the local restaurants.

Steamboat Slough

by AlbuqRay

To the east of Bethel there is a slough with many abandoned ships aground on the shore. A couple were old steamboats; thus the name. The weather was bad and we went up Steamboat Slough on the way to the fish camp to try to avoid the big waves on the main river. It was still pretty rough water and my camera does not have stabilization. Only one abandoned ship pic was not fuzzy. I put one of an old steamboat anyway. Who knows, it may be the one in the novel "Steamboat Slough" by John Schettler. Little did I know at the time that my soul was at risk...

"There was something under the ice at Steamboat Slough, something lost, buried in the frozen wreckage where the children feared to play..."

"Something has come upon sleeping men for millennia, a malevolent presence that leaps upon them in the night and saps their strength; steals their souls. It has been reported in the mythology of every culture on earth, from as far back as the ancient Egyptians to the present day. It haunts the gossamer thin region between wakefulness and sleep, prowling at the edge of a dream. Yet, its victims report a startling reality to these experiences, and now modern science has determined that when the 'entity' appears, the reporting victim is actually not asleep at all!"

"In Egypt this thing was called Isis. In the old Sumerian tradition she was 'Lilith,' the first wife of Adam who refused his domination and fled to a cave to mate with serpents instead. Now she hungers for the life and breath of men with an ancient, primal lust that can never be satisfied, and every culture has given her a different name. In Alaska, the Eskimos called her 'Paija,' and her spirit was said to lurk in the wreck of an old paddle-wheeled boat that had run aground on Steamboat Slough.”

Wahhhhhhh, I am lucky to be here to even write this tip!

Bethel Actors Guild

by AlbuqRay

In the 1996 Tundra Drums article on Michael Faubion which sent, "Greetings From Paris on the Kuskokwim," the Bethel Actors Guild was mentioned...

"All across Alaska, Bethel is a dirty word. But those of us who live here know the shocking truth: It's a special case, it's a happenin' place ... No, it ain't exactly heaven; sometimes it's downright grim. But to me it'll always be Paris on the Kuskokwim."

Faubion said he got the Paris phrase from a teacher, Mike Lane, who said it after coming from a village to enjoy the amenities in Bethel, which seemed by comparison a metropolis.

"He was talking about eating a steak at Gloria's, seeing a Bethel Actors Guild play, and going over to Video World afterward and how you don't know how good it is," Faubion said. "He said when he came around the bend he could see the lights across the river and it was like being in Paris on the Kuskokwim."

I happened to take this picture of the Bethel Actors Guild when I was in Bethel in Aug 07 (it is right next to Dimitri's Restaurant). I would say that times may have changed. Maybe the Guild has just relocated to finer digs. BTW, Gloria's is now Yolanda's Restaurant (her daughter).

Comments